Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea of Thieves

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was thinking about this yesterday and a lot of the reviews are critical of the lack of progression in this game, but I think that while there is a large shortage in progression here given the fact that the moment you start the game, you already have all the equipment and weapons that are in the game, there still is the potential for the developers to introduce variety and progression while maintaining the ability for new players to be competitive with veteran players.

With most MMO style games, the player progresses by leveling up and getting more powerful, but with FPS multiplayer games, players progress by unlocking new weapons and gadgets and increasing their rank, but these weapons and gadgets are carefully balanced so that unlockable weapons and gadgets aren't necessarily more powerfuk than the basic starting kit, so even a new player starting with the basic weapons and gadgets capable of winning in a one v one contest.

If the devs are to be believed, they will continue to release content for this game for years into the future, so hopefully the first big update will include new ships weapons and gadgets that are carefully balanced so that any new abilities they give the players also have drawbacks that even up the battle.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I was thinking about this yesterday and a lot of the reviews are critical of the lack of progression in this game, but I think that while there is a large shortage in progression here given the fact that the moment you start the game, you already have all the equipment and weapons that are in the game, there still is the potential for the developers to introduce variety and progression while maintaining the ability for new players to be competitive with veteran players.

With most MMO style games, the player progresses by leveling up and getting more powerful, but with FPS multiplayer games, players progress by unlocking new weapons and gadgets and increasing their rank, but these weapons and gadgets are carefully balanced so that unlockable weapons and gadgets aren't necessarily more powerfuk than the basic starting kit, so even a new player starting with the basic weapons and gadgets capable of winning in a one v one contest.

If the devs are to be believed, they will continue to release content for this game for years into the future, so hopefully the first big update will include new ships weapons and gadgets that are carefully balanced so that any new abilities they give the players also have drawbacks that even up the battle.

Or in some games it is the player itself that "levels up" by getting better and achieving higher match making ranks. No items necessary. CSGO or Overwatch for example. The game is currently too messy to operate like that imo. I think it needs a more MMO style progression system.

They have literally gone for none of these options at the moment.

I did a ton of fighting last night in a four man crew. There is a big enough flaw (feature?) that a sunken ship's players will respawn at a nearby island so by the time you have salvaged there loot, if they have any, they will be on your tail again. It was fun though. It so ****ing cool being at the wheel, turning our ship and watching our four cannons start blasting away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone up for crewing up ? IGN: korvanica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Varik wrote: »

They don't stand a chance if Pajo is on that boat
    https://goo.gl/images/DrJjw2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

More than 2 Million Players in the first week
    The worldwide excitement for Sea of Thieves has made it the fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation. Having witnessed more than a million players on launch day, our community continues to grow and now has more than two million players. Alongside this, Sea of Thieves is already the best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10.

Obviously between game sharing and game pass that does not mean anywhere near 2 million sold, but impressive numbers.

Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse to know that the interest is there, get the content in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

maximoose wrote: »
    More than 2 Million Players in the first week

Obviously between game sharing and game pass that does not mean anywhere near 2 million sold, but impressive numbers.

Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse to know that the interest is there, get the content in.

Yeah it's done surprisingly well. Guy at work wasn't able to get a physical copy for his son since launch due to it being sold out everywhere in the area.

"fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation" is a bit disingenuous though considering how few first party new IPs the Xbox One actually has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah it's done surprisingly well. Guy at work wasn't able to get a physical copy for his son since launch due to it being sold out everywhere in the area.

"fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation" is a bit disingenuous though considering how few first party new IPs the Xbox One actually has.

Yeah, it's beaten Recore and...... hmmm. Sunset Overdrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I like the fun of it and gave it a chance, but I just still found it repetive and a little bit pointless. Lack of action maybe. Gone back to fortnite.
    Might hop on and off now and again with the squad but not my go to game. Couldn't get into it. Just not my type unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, it's beaten Recore and...... hmmm. Sunset Overdrive?
    Sunset Overdrive is not even first party - it's second party, where Microsoft commissioned and are publishing the game, but the IP belongs to the external company. Recore, Quantum Break might be the same.

So, really, Sea of Thieves has beaten ... LocoCycle. :D

In fairness, though, Sea of Thieves is getting a bit of a kicking across the internet. I've had a blast playing it (with a crew is infinitely better than solo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Repetitiveness of tasks and the lack of any objective outside of that means ive found this game nothing short of boring.

Repetitiveness of tasks and the lack of any objective outside of that means ive found this game nothing short of boring.

Yeah I'll be cancelling my free trial before its over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got to LvL 15 in the 3 factions but not really playing, bought the game outright but it was only 35 so fine with that. It'll grow in anycase what with all the youtuber coverage since it's such a streamable game.
    Sunset Overdrive is not even first party - it's second party, where Microsoft commissioned and are publishing the game, but the IP belongs to the external company. Recore, Quantum Break might be the same.

So, really, Sea of Thieves has beaten ... LocoCycle. :D

In fairness, though, Sea of Thieves is getting a bit of a kicking across the internet. I've had a blast playing it (with a crew is infinitely better than solo).

2nd party is usually played by ear.

I think it's more when the money begins and ends, who's financing it and who's getting paid in the end.

The new Spiderman for instance, Sony financed, insomniac developed, and Disney own the IP (Sony just own the movie rights they sold TV rights back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just got a One S and invested in a decent headset so hoping to crew up and play this a bit, my GT is ivefoundgod add me if you're still playing this. Although bare in mind i'm a complete noob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Is it me... Or is there less and less players playing S.O.T?

I played for 3 hours on Tuesday and only saw one other ship (Sloop)!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Afraid i gave up on it after about two weeks - not really seeing many from my friends list still in it either.

Wrung all the fun out of it that i could but saw I could see, did all i could do without getting into the level 20+ grind.

Shame, some great stuff in it.

Same here. Probably played about 10-15 hours max, had a couple of great sessions with a full crew but they quickly became repetitive and it's just not fun at all to play solo IMO.

Just too shallow a game, haven't felt compelled to go near it since.

Would love to know the drop off in players.

Also, god bless game pass.

Game pass is a savior alright!

It is repetitive alright, game has huge potential but is lacking in content.
    IMO it was released unfinished.

When it launched it had over 2 million players, that number has dwindled by the looks of it.
    I'm mid lvl 20 on everything now
    Merchant missions and some gold mission are easy on Solo.
    Skelaton missions you need a full crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Wasnt even worth the time it took to download. Wont be back on it unless it got radically better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I like it for what it is.

Like the invasion mode in Watch Dogs 1. I could have played it for years with zero content. (I actually did)

I just love sinking ships and taking their loot :D never gets old.

Like the invasion mode in Watch Dogs 1. I could have played it for years with zero content. (I actually did)

So that was you who sunk our ship when we were faffing around on an island. The jokes on you... We had no gold! :-D

Hate pr*cks like you!!!! :D
    IE: Actual Pirates LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xPixelx

The Hungering Deap Free DLC hits the 29th May, I'm very much like Failsafe 00 I think its fun to jump on and play with mates...

I'm sitting at 47/46/47 in levels and want 50 for all before the "big release" however with no mates playing these days and grinding the last bit of the levels alone is sucking the fun out of it...

I'm also slowly being converted to play State of Decay 2 with friends even though that is extremely buggy some of the gameplay stories/items are a great laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Anyone on here play this still. Only playing a few months and its brilliant.

madalig12 wrote: »
    Anyone on here play this still. Only playing a few months and its brilliant.
    Yep. I fully agree, it's great craic with a mates - I've tried it with Rando's and it's hit or miss - you might get someone willing to coordinate with you and work together or you might get someone who just wants to run in circles with a hurdy gurdy.

It's definitely worth a play, if you gave up after launch because of all the new stuff to do - there are the Tall Tales and a bit more variety to the quests, now there's a proper trading system so you can make money on transporting goods to other outposts (buy low, sell high).

The new Seasons structure also makes it easy to get some bonuses just for playing the game. One of my gripes before was that you could be playing for an hour or so and be on your way back to sell your goodies when a Megalodon, Ghost ship or, worse, people would send it all to Davy Jone's locker.

Now, you can easily come out with a bunch of gold, ancient coins, dubloons or stuff by playing the game over a three month period.

While not being a completely different game, there is enough variety and engagement to give it a shot again.

• Advertisement

Loving it lately. I played a little bit when it came out at launch, got bored after not too long. After 2 of my friends got a series X a month or two ago, this is all we play now!

Im on xbox 'ali g no1' add me id love to have an irish crew going.

The game is fun sometimes but there's tonnes of galleons going around hunting sloops. There's nothing I can do when that happens. So it feels fairly pointless to play it, I can't even master the basics before I get killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The game is fun sometimes but there's tonnes of galleons going around hunting sloops. There's nothing I can do when that happens. So it feels fairly pointless to play it, I can't even master the basics before I get killed.

Join up with one of the Discord alliance servers. Take's all the pain out of having to hook up with randoms.

Had Discord, deleted it. Couldnt figure out wtf was going on or how to use it. Im in 2 fb groups and a club on live and meet plenty of cool pirates during play and add them as friends when I do. Fishing for stormfish tonight. Last fishing galley trip turned into a 4 ship battle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement