Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea of Thieves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Achievements have been temporarily disabled while they sort the servers, progress is still being recorded so when they are turned back on any that should have been earned will pop

Also:

CfN8Jac.png
    :pac:

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have achievements been unlocking for anyone playing on PC?

Just had a look there and it seems to be somewhat bugged. I have some achievements but others that I have definitely done are not registered.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hey screw you maxi :P

I'm actually warming to this a bit more after last night, I was playing solo on a sloop and scuttled it outside a skull fort. I then stole a galleon which got sunk by another galleon, which i then also stole and chucked all their treasure overboard. Even on my own it was a lot of fun.

Shame they were able to kill themselves on the island and respawn on the boat though or I could have gotten all the way to an outpost with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Played my first few games last night.

Spoke to some nice people and made a few new friends.

I can see what people are saying about the lack of content and progression, but perhaps that's the beauty of it?

It was refreshing to play an online multiplayer that wasn't hectic, balls to the wall intensity for once. That said, we got in one battle with another ship that was crazy, but great craic.

It was cool just moseying around, enjoying the sights and chatting away. Just a breath of fresh air when it comes to online multiplayer.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hey screw you maxi :P

Ah that wasn't aimed at you specifically haha. I'm still skeptical myself about the longevity of the game as it is, still having fun for now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I have had achievements randomly being unlocked last night.
    I was helping a friend get to grips with the game and we had a good laugh.
    Saw a Sloop, sunk it and took their treasure, next we saw a galleon anchored at an island, no one was on board so we snuck on and raised anchor, sailed it towards some rocks and took 3 chests they had on it onto our sloop.
    My friend thought that we could just sail to any island and dig up treasure, only copped it when he directed me to a small island and we went onto it and he started digging, had to explain that we needed a map first and then go to the island on that map lol
    Also got some chests from sunken galleons

• This game is a billion times more fun if you completely ignore the missions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Played solo last night just to get used to it. Found it ok. Beautiful to look at.

Tonight played multiplayer and met a good group and joined party. Game was much better.

Why though can you carry 9 cannonballs but only 5 bananas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

murpho999 wrote: »

Why though can you carry 9 cannonballs but only 5 bananas?

10alC7c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Issues

Was digging up a treasure chest that suddenly didn't allow it to be picked up after the digging, played alpha and beta and never saw this.
    Ran around an island and never got the enemies to spawn, spent 15 minutes at it and then after 1 person left his replacement upon spawning blew up the gunpowder on our ship.

May have been on the wrong plunder related island, there's a plunder plight and plunder valley.

Realizations

Even when I knew obviously multiple people raising the anchor was faster I didn't think that also applied to sails, if you've 2 people either raise or turning them it's about 5x faster than by yourself to the point where if multiple people are doing it they should work on the same sail rather than taking 1 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was thinking about this yesterday and a lot of the reviews are critical of the lack of progression in this game, but I think that while there is a large shortage in progression here given the fact that the moment you start the game, you already have all the equipment and weapons that are in the game, there still is the potential for the developers to introduce variety and progression while maintaining the ability for new players to be competitive with veteran players.

With most MMO style games, the player progresses by leveling up and getting more powerful, but with FPS multiplayer games, players progress by unlocking new weapons and gadgets and increasing their rank, but these weapons and gadgets are carefully balanced so that unlockable weapons and gadgets aren't necessarily more powerfuk than the basic starting kit, so even a new player starting with the basic weapons and gadgets capable of winning in a one v one contest.

If the devs are to be believed, they will continue to release content for this game for years into the future, so hopefully the first big update will include new ships weapons and gadgets that are carefully balanced so that any new abilities they give the players also have drawbacks that even up the battle.

• Akrasia wrote: »
    I was thinking about this yesterday and a lot of the reviews are critical of the lack of progression in this game, but I think that while there is a large shortage in progression here given the fact that the moment you start the game, you already have all the equipment and weapons that are in the game, there still is the potential for the developers to introduce variety and progression while maintaining the ability for new players to be competitive with veteran players.

With most MMO style games, the player progresses by leveling up and getting more powerful, but with FPS multiplayer games, players progress by unlocking new weapons and gadgets and increasing their rank, but these weapons and gadgets are carefully balanced so that unlockable weapons and gadgets aren't necessarily more powerfuk than the basic starting kit, so even a new player starting with the basic weapons and gadgets capable of winning in a one v one contest.

If the devs are to be believed, they will continue to release content for this game for years into the future, so hopefully the first big update will include new ships weapons and gadgets that are carefully balanced so that any new abilities they give the players also have drawbacks that even up the battle.

Or in some games it is the player itself that "levels up" by getting better and achieving higher match making ranks. No items necessary. CSGO or Overwatch for example. The game is currently too messy to operate like that imo. I think it needs a more MMO style progression system.

They have literally gone for none of these options at the moment.

I did a ton of fighting last night in a four man crew. There is a big enough flaw (feature?) that a sunken ship's players will respawn at a nearby island so by the time you have salvaged there loot, if they have any, they will be on your tail again. It was fun though. It so ****ing cool being at the wheel, turning our ship and watching our four cannons start blasting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone up for crewing up ? IGN: korvanica

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Varik wrote: »

They don't stand a chance if Pajo is on that boat
    https://goo.gl/images/DrJjw2

More than 2 Million Players in the first week
    The worldwide excitement for Sea of Thieves has made it the fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation. Having witnessed more than a million players on launch day, our community continues to grow and now has more than two million players. Alongside this, Sea of Thieves is already the best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10.

Obviously between game sharing and game pass that does not mean anywhere near 2 million sold, but impressive numbers.

Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse to know that the interest is there, get the content in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

maximoose wrote: »
    More than 2 Million Players in the first week

Obviously between game sharing and game pass that does not mean anywhere near 2 million sold, but impressive numbers.

Hopefully it gives them a kick up the arse to know that the interest is there, get the content in.

Yeah it's done surprisingly well. Guy at work wasn't able to get a physical copy for his son since launch due to it being sold out everywhere in the area.

"fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation" is a bit disingenuous though considering how few first party new IPs the Xbox One actually has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah it's done surprisingly well. Guy at work wasn't able to get a physical copy for his son since launch due to it being sold out everywhere in the area.

"fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation" is a bit disingenuous though considering how few first party new IPs the Xbox One actually has.

Yeah, it's beaten Recore and...... hmmm. Sunset Overdrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I like the fun of it and gave it a chance, but I just still found it repetive and a little bit pointless. Lack of action maybe. Gone back to fortnite.
    Might hop on and off now and again with the squad but not my go to game. Couldn't get into it. Just not my type unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, it's beaten Recore and...... hmmm. Sunset Overdrive?
    Sunset Overdrive is not even first party - it's second party, where Microsoft commissioned and are publishing the game, but the IP belongs to the external company. Recore, Quantum Break might be the same.

So, really, Sea of Thieves has beaten ... LocoCycle. :D

In fairness, though, Sea of Thieves is getting a bit of a kicking across the internet. I've had a blast playing it (with a crew is infinitely better than solo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Repetitiveness of tasks and the lack of any objective outside of that means ive found this game nothing short of boring.

• Repetitiveness of tasks and the lack of any objective outside of that means ive found this game nothing short of boring.

Yeah I'll be cancelling my free trial before its over

Got to LvL 15 in the 3 factions but not really playing, bought the game outright but it was only 35 so fine with that. It'll grow in anycase what with all the youtuber coverage since it's such a streamable game.
    Sunset Overdrive is not even first party - it's second party, where Microsoft commissioned and are publishing the game, but the IP belongs to the external company. Recore, Quantum Break might be the same.

So, really, Sea of Thieves has beaten ... LocoCycle. :D

In fairness, though, Sea of Thieves is getting a bit of a kicking across the internet. I've had a blast playing it (with a crew is infinitely better than solo).

2nd party is usually played by ear.

I think it's more when the money begins and ends, who's financing it and who's getting paid in the end.

The new Spiderman for instance, Sony financed, insomniac developed, and Disney own the IP (Sony just own the movie rights they sold TV rights back).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just got a One S and invested in a decent headset so hoping to crew up and play this a bit, my GT is ivefoundgod add me if you're still playing this. Although bare in mind i'm a complete noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Is it me... Or is there less and less players playing S.O.T?

I played for 3 hours on Tuesday and only saw one other ship (Sloop)!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Afraid i gave up on it after about two weeks - not really seeing many from my friends list still in it either.

Wrung all the fun out of it that i could but saw I could see, did all i could do without getting into the level 20+ grind.

Shame, some great stuff in it.

Same here. Probably played about 10-15 hours max, had a couple of great sessions with a full crew but they quickly became repetitive and it's just not fun at all to play solo IMO.

Just too shallow a game, haven't felt compelled to go near it since.

Would love to know the drop off in players.

Also, god bless game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Game pass is a savior alright!

It is repetitive alright, game has huge potential but is lacking in content.
    IMO it was released unfinished.

When it launched it had over 2 million players, that number has dwindled by the looks of it.
    I'm mid lvl 20 on everything now
    Merchant missions and some gold mission are easy on Solo.
    Skelaton missions you need a full crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

Wasnt even worth the time it took to download. Wont be back on it unless it got radically better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I like it for what it is.

Like the invasion mode in Watch Dogs 1. I could have played it for years with zero content. (I actually did)

I just love sinking ships and taking their loot :D never gets old.

Advertisement