Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Tescos - Black Barrel and Caskmates IPA for 55euro, and then 10 off that thanks to Dunnes, so basically got the caskmates for free!
    Not had caskmates IPA before, so looking forward to trying that over the weekend. BB is a stable and one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Regular Bushmills only 20euro in Dunnes at the moment.
    That beats Tesco who usually have it for 21euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Has anyone heard/ordered from

https://irishspirit.com

website? They have a bottle in stock what I’m after a long time but something is fishy about it or just me being too cautious? Any feedback on them greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bush 10 for 30 in Tesco is fantastic value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

lads what would you say is the best whiskey under 100euro?

getting a present for someone

I love redbreast and writers tears myself but wouldnt have tried the likes of yellow spot green spot etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I love redbreast and writers tears myself but wouldnt have tried the likes of yellow spot green spot etc

Yellowspot...would be my personal choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Irish? Scotch? Bourbon? Japanese?

There is no single answer to that question.

Irish? Scotch? Bourbon? Japanese?

There is no single answer to that question.

I meant Irish hence mentioning redbreast etc:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Tesco Galway was wiped of everything on the "above standard" whiskey level by lunchtime today. Connemara, bush 10, black barrell, caskmates and roe &co. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday fare better with stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

a) I don't know why you did the rolleyes when you're asking for help

b) what relevance does what you drink have when buying a present for someone? It's what they drink that matters

I specifically gave you ideas about different types of whiskey to open up different possibilities of what you might want to buy. Absolutely no need to be a tit over things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

b) what relevance does what you drink have when buying a present for someone? It's what they drink that matters

I specifically gave you ideas about different types of whiskey to open up different possibilities of what you might want to buy. Absolutely no need to be a tit over things.

Chill out man! :confused:

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

RedBreast 12yo Cask Strength comes in just under 90e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

G rock wrote: »
    I've had a black barrel - liked it - but would you recommend, say Bushmills 10 or cask mates over it?

So far I'm not hugely impressed with the Bushmills 10. It already has such a sweet honey flavour and perhaps the bourbon casks just make it sweeter not deeper? I'm a huge fan of Bushmills original (white label) and often splurge for a black label which is markedly the best of the three in my opinion.

Haven't had a Caskmates for a while so can't compare back to back. I'm really enjoying the Black Barrel which is superior to the Bushmills 10 by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Personally I'd go with Readbreast. A lovely dram.

Another one I was thinking of was John's Lane.

Had a bottle recently and really liked it. Lovely presentation box too.

As it is s gift I kind of would like a nice presentation as much as the whiskey being decent.

Another one I was thinking of was John's Lane.

Had a bottle recently and really liked it. Lovely presentation box too.

As it is s gift I kind of would like a nice presentation as much as the whiskey being decent.

Is the box a new thing for John's lane? I never got a box with any bottle I've purchased. Granted it's been awhile since I bought one.

limnam wrote: »
    Is the box a new thing for John's lane? I never got a box with any bottle I've purchased. Granted it's been awhile since I bought one.

It's been two years since I had mine. Came in a lovely box with fold out presentation leaflet all about the history of the whiskey

It's been two years since I had mine. Came in a lovely box with fold out presentation leaflet all about the history of the whiskey

Is this the box you got?

or it's a "new" box?

powers_john_lane_2048x.jpg?v=1392831021

limnam wrote: »
    Is this the box you got?

or it's a "new" box?

powers_john_lane_2048x.jpg?v=1392831021

Think that's the one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi all
    Was in America last week
    Was given a Glenfiddich 12,15 & 18 year old 200ml bottles by a manager
    Then picked up a bottle of the chita from Suntory in Japan

picked up 2 bottles of Jameson Caskmates (Stout version) in Tesco's earlier.
    special off 2 bottles for €50 and I had €10 off voucher, so in effect 2 bottles for €40. Great value for a great whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hi all.
    A bit of a whisky novice, but would like to get in to it more.
    A Redbreast 12 would be my go-to when I'm out, but haven't much of a clue beyond that.
    I picked up a gift pack from Aldi last week for a tenner - three scotch - Jura, Speyburn, and Ledaig.

I guess I might stick with miniatures until I get a better idea of what I like.
    Hopefully I'll pick up a few tips from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

noby wrote: »
    Hi all.
    A bit of a whisky novice, but would like to get in to it more.
    A Redbreast 12 would be my go-to when I'm out, but haven't much of a clue beyond that.
    I picked up a gift pack from Aldi last week for a tenner - three scotch - Jura, Speyburn, and Ledaig.

I guess I might stick with miniatures until I get a better idea of what I like.
    Hopefully I'll pick up a few tips from this thread.

Dunnes have bushmills and teeling sampler sets on offer.
    Kilbeggan have a nice sampler set in offies.

The jura in the aldi set is lovely. Which aldi still has that sampler set? I got mine months ago!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Dungarvan - last couple reduced to a tenner. Yeah, on initial taste Jura was my favourite.

I'll have a look in Dunnes, cheers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sample sets are a great way to get started.
    Or if you find a Bar with a good whiskey selection they may do a tasting/flight which would be a small measure of a few different ones to try.

Or if you happen to be travelling most airports do whiskey sampling, that's how I found a love for Jura actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Hi all, quite a novice here. West Cork 10 Yr Old Single Malt is €30 in Dunnes, and with the voucher trick I'm calling it €20. Any thoughts, is it worth it?

I see some posts about the more special West Cork versions, and a comment about the huge dimple in the bottle, but scrolling back a few pages I didnt find reference to the 10 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Aren't West cork a bit shady in how the operate? Or operated? Their site used to make reference to " state of the art" techniques etc. and I heard a rumor they have taken short cuts and added chips and colouring in the past for bottlings.

They have come on marketingwise, and have great distribution, but that's always been stuck in my head, rightly or wrongly. The malt is nicer than the blend but I wasn't blown away by either.

20 bean is worth the pint I'd say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, it's a good call @ 20 quid.
    The Sherry cask one is lovely IMO

• Advertisement

Hi all, quite a novice here. West Cork 10 Yr Old Single Malt is €30 in Dunnes, and with the voucher trick I'm calling it €20. Any thoughts, is it worth it?

I see some posts about the more special West Cork versions, and a comment about the huge dimple in the bottle, but scrolling back a few pages I didnt find reference to the 10 yr old.
    Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of their 10 yo. I'd prefer their Pogues which I think is €28 in Dunnes at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement