Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

GreenSpot have also released two new versions Chateau Léoville Barton and Chateau Montelena.
    Finished in Wine casks which would go along with the Mitchell's influence being wine merchants. From speaking to them at whiskey Live they still do seem very independent and have control over how their whiskey is matured, bottled and distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Leoville Barton has been around for several years, nothing new about it.

The limited edition ones aren't especially notable for being finished in wine casks as Green/yellow Spot has always been at least partially aged this way. It's the fact that they've a specific partnership to use specific barrels that is noteworthy.

I'll always maintain that Green Spot is far and away Ireland's best "reasonably priced" whiskey. It's just lovely stuff altogether and I'd drink it ahead of Redbreast 12, Writer's Tears, Powers John's Lane etc.

While the Yellow is similarly tasty, I don't think it's worth the jump in price from the Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's just speculation on my part.
    I'm looking at the amount of money poured into the relaunch of Green Spot and the launch of Yellow Spot - as part of the whole "Single Pot Still" range.
    I don't imagine that Mitchell's pockets are that deep and I can't see IDL putting that kind of investment into a brand that they don't own.

I could be wrong.
    AFAIK They were bonders, so they bought whiskey from Jameson and re-casked/matured it themselves. It's always been Jameson/IDL whiskey.
    It's more industrial nowadays. Mitchell's still supply the sherry/wine casks but it's stored in an IDL warehouse, bottled in and IDL plant, etc.
    IDL definitely profit on a per bottle basis, but Mitchell's own/control it (for now).

Conviently, sipping a glass of green spot as I type. Agree with the above, one of Ireland's best. Id can't even place what it is about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Mellor wrote: »
    Conviently, sipping a glass of green spot as I type.

I was just about to say that's not a bad way to spend your lunch, then noticed your location :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Did anybody had this here:

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Glendalough-13-Year-Old-Mizunara?search=Glendalough%20

Looks very interesting, I usually follow up on new releases but i only came across this release yesterday. Price is a tad high but I might order a sample before I commit to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

I really like the GreenSpot Montalena, wonder will we ever see a Redspot, i'd say the Bluespot is unlikely as it'd have to be a lower pricepoint that Greenspot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Glendalough-13-Year-Old-Mizunara?search=Glendalough%20

Looks very interesting, I usually follow up on new releases but i only came across this release yesterday. Price is a tad high but I might order a sample before I commit to it.

I got a bottle of this just before Christmas and it's half gone. Wonderful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Won a bottle of Dubliner 10yr SM during the week. Gonna try a drop before heading out later.

That Aldi 26yr old has grown on me I have to say. Had some before bed last night. Okay.. *in* bed.. so what!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I got a bottle of this just before Christmas and it's half gone. Wonderful stuff.

What is it similar to? Distinct tasting notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Just wandering around the Amazon.uk site when I spotted this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7I63MM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

it seems just a tiny bit overpriced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Squatter wrote: »
    Just wandering around the Amazon.uk site when I spotted this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7I63MM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

it seems just a tiny bit overpriced!

Well he won't ship to Ireland and I'm not spending 3.50 on parcel hotel. He can keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

Where would one order a sample of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

slfcarro5 wrote: »

Master of Malt to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

slfcarro5 wrote: »

Or alternatively you can order it from here, they send you a very generous 10cl sample, better price/volume ratio:

http://shop.limited-whisky.de/epages/17961557.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectID=18085821

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Having enjoyed a Laphroaig 10 over the past few months (nice contrast to the redbreast, three swallows etc), I bought a kilchoman machir bay in marks and spencer up north over the weekend as a replacement

From a little bit of reading around, it has been well received - first new islay opening in quite some time I believe.

It's a very tasty drop.

Peaty but smooth.

20%off makes it even better - £32 all in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Drinking a bunnahabhain 12 at the moment, really liking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jester77 wrote: »
    Drinking a bunnahabhain 12 at the moment, really liking it

before 9 am.....
    you might need to talk to someone about that ;)

joking aside, enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

G rock wrote: »
    Having enjoyed a Laphroaig 10 over the past few months (nice contrast to the redbreast, three swallows etc), I bought a kilchoman machir bay in marks and spencer up north over the weekend as a replacement

From a little bit of reading around, it has been well received - first new islay opening in quite some time I believe.

It's a very tasty drop.

Peaty but smooth.

20%off makes it even better - £32 all in!

I grabbed one too, the offers in m&s are too good to miss at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AdamDoyle

I just finished off a bottle of Knappogue Castle 1995 last night, absolutely cracking whiskey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Getting to like bourbon after buying a bottle of Bullelit at Christmas.

Looking to buy some Woodford Reserve but in the meantime decided to chance some cheaper everyday stuff. Bought some of Aldi's Clarke's bourbon for €13.99 today, seems suspiciously cheap. Some decent reviews online, must compare it to Bullelit later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Getting to like bourbon after buying a bottle of Bullelit at Christmas.

Looking to buy some Woodford Reserve but in the meantime decided to chance some cheaper everyday stuff. Bought some of Aldi's Clarke's bourbon for €13.99 today, seems suspiciously cheap. Some decent reviews online, must compare it to Bullelit later.

Try the Jefferson Small Batch Bourbon - they had it on sale around Christmas - bought it ... Good stuff imo.

gozunda wrote: »
    Try the Jefferson Small Batch Bourbon - they had it on sale around Christmas - bought it ... Good stuff imo.

Didn't see it in my local one today but will keep an eye out.

I'm no professional taster but I've just compared Bullelit with the Clarke's.

The smell is much deeper on the Bullelit, not getting much off the Clarke's.

In terms of taste Clarke's feels thinner than the other but the aftertaste is pretty good on both. Clarke's is growing on me though.

Overall Bullelit is the superior one and I love the smell of it. However Clarke's is not bad at all in my book for €13.99 (currently reduced by 50 cent or a euro). Bullelit set me back €35 in Tesco on special offer before Christmas. Would buy Clarke's again as an everyday drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I'm no professional taster but I've just compared Bullelit with the Clarke's.

The smell is much deeper on the Bullelit, not getting much off the Clarke's.

In terms of taste Clarke's feels thinner than the other but the aftertaste is pretty good on both. Clarke's is growing on me though.

Overall Bullelit is the superior one and I love the smell of it. However Clarke's is not bad at all in my book for €13.99 (currently reduced by 50 cent or a euro). Bullelit set me back €35 in Tesco on special offer before Christmas. Would buy Clarke's again as an everyday drink.
    Similar. Far from expert, but found Clarkes very nice and at that price a great everyday drink or if you want to throw in a mixer for a cold one. Woodford Reserve is great and also really like Buffalo Trace, which was recently on offer in Dunnes for around €36 but that may have ended by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

So, i just opened a bottle of the West Cork Glengarriff Bog Oak Cask.
    Not the most exciting whiskey, but definitely nice for 40 quid. The bog oak definitely makes a difference but it would be much nicer if was an older whiskey. Not only will i finish the bottle, i'll buy another one aswell!

Glengarriff_Bog_Oak_Charred-776x1176.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Was in work today (my day off) for a meeting, so since I was here anyway, I'm treating myself to a Nikka From The Barrel. My favourite of the three Nikkas we have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

This week i just opened the West Cork Glengarriff peated Cask. I finished the West Cork Glengarriff Bog Oak Cask so had to try this!!
    Its actually really nice, very sweet, a little malty and only a hint of peat. Will definitely be getting more of this!

Glengarriff_Peat_Charred-776x1176.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

try a whisky with a drop of snow. Great stuff

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

brokenarms wrote: »

Wouldn't that make yellow snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

kbannon wrote: »
    brokenarms wrote: »

Wouldn't that make yellow snow?
    You're not supposed to eat it. Nobody ever did anything about drinking it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement