Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Aren't West cork a bit shady in how the operate? Or operated? Their site used to make reference to " state of the art" techniques etc. and I heard a rumor they have taken short cuts and added chips and colouring in the past for bottlings.

Caramel colouring is pretty standard with whiskey. You can basically assume caramel has been added unless specifically stated otherwise - it doesn't have to be declared in Ireland or the UK (although it might be written on the bottle in a foreign language to comply with another country's regulations).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My main thing with West Cork is that everything I've had from them has been extremely poor quality more than anything else. Would have to hear rave reviews before touching anything else. Also, anything 10 from them is bought in from elsewhere anyway.

You can sometimes find the German 'warning' for their being caramel - 'mit farbstoff'. They use farbstoff = dye, as caramel in German is Karamell which is quite obvious to English speakers!

Generally, assume there is caramel and that the product has been chill filtered unless it specifically states otherwise - from any distiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Thanks for the thoughts all, I picked it up anyway at "€20", the colour is certainly very light. I should get at it over the weekend and will post any significant feedback, not the sharpest tongue just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone picked up the Abrachan "Triple Oak Matured Blended Malt Scotch Whisky" in LIDL?

I didn't see it listed in any of their leaflets, and annoyingly couldn't see a price tag on the shelf - was in a rush on lunch break so didn't ask about price.

They had a sign up saying that some "special" Irish whiskey - charred cask - hadn't come in.

They had a sampler set of Jim Beam, Famous Grouse, Teachers & Black Grouse for €10.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Black Grouse is surprisingly decent for a cheap airport whisky, rest of the set isn't worth it

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    I picked up a gift pack from Aldi last week for a tenner - three scotch - Jura, Speyburn, and Ledaig.

I'm enjoying the Speyburn tremendously, although sampling it while Philip Marlowe throws back a Scotch in an episode of Marlowe Private Eye might have helped with that :) Whisk(e)y seems apt for dialogue like "Trouble is my business" & "She knew whatever way the roulette wheel fell, it'd fall her way..."

I presume this is the full bottle version at €42:
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/speyburn-10-year-old-70cl.html

The Ledaig was way too peaty for me, verging on the medicinal.

The Jura just about shades it over the Speyburn in a photo finish.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/isle-of-jura-10-year-old?search=jura

ps as noted earlier in this thread, "Lidl have a set of two minis (Speyburn 10, Ledaig 10), some random enough glass and those stones some people like for 12.99" ... Have seen these still in stock in a few LIDLs, but no Jura alas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Passenger wrote: »
    wakeupdead1.png

Left Hand Brewing Wake Up Dead

Imperial Stout from the brewery that brought us the famous Nitro Milk Stout. This is better imho. Falvoursome, boozy, dark chocolate, mild bitterness, medium bodied. 10.2% ABV.

How much whisky is in it?
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

How much whisky is in it?
    :D:D

Not enough. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

odyssey06 wrote: »

The Ledaig was way too peaty for me, verging on the medicinal.(

I bought that set as well and I thought the very same, reminded me of a bottle of Anbesol.

I'm a whiskey newb so I don't really know what I'm talking about yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I bought that set as well and I thought the very same, reminded me of a bottle of Anbesol.

I'm a whiskey newb so I don't really know what I'm talking about yet :pac:

Have a look at ralfy.com on youtube. I've always found his videos to be highly informational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hi guys, my whiskey interest has recently rocketed after I stumbled upon this channel! Never knew there was so much going on in a sip of whiskey.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCElm866_W5r1eg8VjhFNARw

dylbert wrote: »
    Anyone try Lambay Whiskey?

I tried the "Small Batch", about €40 in Celtic Whiskey shop... I like the story\geography behind the whiskey but results disappointing. Not much flavour on first sip, but it does have a nice long finish. At those prices there are much better whiskies out there.

I'd be curious about the single malt version if I spot it in a pub or miniature, but won't be taking a gamble on it at €60.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was at a Slane whiskey tasting last night, it was done quite well with a "Deconstructed" approach to the tastings. So we had some items that come through in the flavour. Biscuit, ripe banana, dried fruit and toffee.
    They also toasted a stave from a barrel and passed it around to show where the flavours of toffee come through from.
    Very enjoyable tasting.

It's quite a nice whiskey too, balanced, and easy to drink and reasonably priced.

I also had a Dunvilles three crowns peated after the tasting. That was very nice, delicately peated. You wouldn't really get it on the nose, but comes through well on the palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭golfpaul

Been drinking Powers Johns Lane 12 year old single pot still this week, quite the tasty beverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

Ok, so ive had a few the last few weeks!

Had a bottle of Ballyhoo Irish whiskey from Connacht whiskey distillery, very nice!

Also had a bottle of Method and Madness single pot still which is a divine whiskey!

Then i had Teeling 12 year old single malt Amarone cask finish, Obrien's exclusive. This stuff is magic! Lots of raisins and dried fruit, reminded me alot of Penderyn whisky strangely enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

golfpaul wrote: »
    Been drinking Powers Johns Lane 12 year old single pot still this week, quite the tasty beverage.

Looking for best price for this - 58 in Dublin Airport seems to be the lowest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I don't think you'll do any better than that. Good price for an awesome whiskey that could be of a much higher price range IMO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I don't think you'll do any better than that. Good price for an awesome whiskey that could be of a much higher price range IMO.

I've never seen it cheaper anywhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭golfpaul

That's where I picked it up, I always try to pick something nice there every couple of weeks.

I picked up a bottle of Midleton Very Rare 2017 in Tesco for €93.15

Why the significant reduction, whats wrong with it?!

I didnt open it yet, my first Midleton purchase it may be gathering dust for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

I didnt open it yet, my first Midleton purchase it may be gathering dust for a while

Which Tesco?

sceach16 wrote: »

Which Tesco?
    Oranmore, Co. Galway

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No mention of a discount online (https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251232796). I wonder if it was human error. Good bargain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭mikeecho

kbannon wrote: »
    No mention of a discount online (https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251232796). I wonder if it was human error. Good bargain though.

Is it possible that some stores are no longer stocking premium spirits, and have them reduced just to shift stock.
    I know of some Tesco stores that don't stock top shelf spirits. (Regal Tesco, not the express ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Tesco are in the midst of a change in product mix in their stores.
    Some of the smaller stores and those in less well off areas will see an increase in lower priced products and some higher price products disappearing right throughout the store.
    It will mean some good value over the next few weeks as the changes are implemented.

If you are passing through Dublin airport and looking to try different whiskies, they have 5 miniatures for €20 at the moment.

I saw among others:
    • Irishman Single Malt
    • Balvenie 12 year old
    • Monkey Shoulder Blended Scotch
    • Teeling Single Grain
    • West Cork Single Malt 10 year old

They have the Midleton Single Pot Still Collection for €33.

Seemed to be all out of the Kilbeggan & Tullamore Dew sets, but they had Glenfiddich, Clontarf, Teeling Trinity & Bushmills sets also e.g.
    https://www.theloop.ie/p/16199/glenfiddich-mini-pk-whisky-3-x-5cl-40
    https://www.theloop.ie/p/16193/clontarf-trinity-premium-irish-whiskey-60cl

Handy with the Loop collection option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Then i had Teeling 12 year old single malt Amarone cask finish, Obrien's exclusive. This stuff is magic! Lots of raisins and dried fruit, reminded me alot of Penderyn whisky strangely enough!

Finished my Teeling/Amerone last week and agree completely.
    I've only gotten into whiskey lately so my experience is limited to the regular Jameson and Powers and the Jameson stout caskmate, but the Amerone casked Teeling was outstanding IMO. A nice bite to it followed by great complexity and a lovely finish.

I might order another bottle but would also love to hear recommendations along the lines of "if you like that, you'll love this".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Two excellent options at a decent price point i will always recommend are powers three swallows and writers tears. Both excellent and should be avsilable for around forty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just drained the last of my Aldi 26 Year Old.
    Was nice while it lasted. Not bad value at all! What was it, 40quid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Oranmore, Co. Galway

U did vvwell. It disappeared off their website at 155 and has now reappeared at 167 euro. Still better than 180 everywhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement