Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I agree this could be a serious issue now. Also cant believe how little the weather is being mentioned in the context of the rugby. even if match isnt called off or something you have to think it will be a huge factor. Think people are a bit uniformed about this and met.ie should at least have an advisory out by now (unless other resources they have show a different picture).

The have mentioned that there may be snow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rugby this rugby that
    The Club finals could be affected now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

I get that there's no way to accurately predict snow and all, but from M.Ts forecast you're saying Dublin could see up to. 10-30cm of snow?! (I get it won't all stick) but holy moly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

km79 wrote: »
    Rugby this rugby that
    The Club finals could be affected now too?

I only mentioned the rugby as someone earlier in the thread asked for updates on it given the amount of people travelling etc. As it happens rugby doesn't do it for me especially.

No one mentioned the club finals as until now no snow was thought likely here til Sunday (that and the fact I hate Nemo!). Now you say it, snow could now be a factor, especially for the hurling which is the later start.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is there a dayglo orange sliotar made? Someone should get on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Vxlks wrote: »
    I get that there's no way to accurately predict snow and all, but from M.Ts forecast you're saying Dublin could see up to. 10-30cm of snow?! (I get it won't all stick) but holy moly

Its supposed to melt quite quickly though I think, like major thaw the morning after

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its supposed to melt quite quickly though I think, like major thaw the morning after

Not sure so much about Sunday, there may be a lot of cloud cover and continued showers, combined with v.low temps. Monday I reckon most of the snow will dissipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Not sure so much about Sunday, there may be a lot of cloud cover and continued showers, combined with v.low temps. Monday I reckon most of the snow will dissipate.

So by the time I wake up Sunday It would effectively be a,snowday i can actually sled in etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    ICON has potential for arrival of snow showers during the parade -

I hear there will be a train at the parade...a snow train...Choo Choo!

https://giphy.com/gifs/justviralnet-snow-train-3o7btOq73ddJqyorjq

Vxlks wrote: »
    So by the time I wake up Sunday It would effectively be a,snowday i can actually sled in etc?

Its possible certainly. As always with snow its very hard to say until a few hours to go but this increasingly looks like a (fairly short lived) cold snap the potency of which would make it the second coldest we have had since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ME's most recent online update specifically saying snow amounts will be low Saturday day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Its possible certainly. As always with snow its very hard to say until a few hours to go but this increasingly looks like a (fairly short lived) cold snap the potency of which would make it the second coldest we have had since 2010.

It's Saturday night and Sunday really.

I would not describe it as any kind of major event. It won't be by any means.

But hopefully people will enjoy the brief novelty for the time of year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dsmythy wrote: »
    ME's most recent online update specifically saying snow amounts will be low Saturday day and night.

Which update ? His daily forecast still says 10-30cm for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

This site is generally good for windchill forecasts in the mountains;

I picked Errigal.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Errigal/forecasts/749

Saturday looks like -10 windchill at peak. Errigal is rather exposed though.

Brilliant site! Thanks for that Nettle Soup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

wakka12 wrote: »
    Which update ? His daily forecast still says 10-30cm for Leinster

'ME' aka Met Eireann, not MT lol

It's Saturday night and Sunday really.

I would not describe it as any kind of major event. It won't be by any means.

But hopefully people will enjoy the brief novelty for the time of year.:)

in terms of the uppers over us though I think what I said is probably correct but equally I agree it will be very short lived. Its perfect actually that it falls on a long weekend and should be gone by Tuesday so no one loses more work or school days (novelty of that is gone).

dsmythy wrote: »

Just looking at some of the higher res models that looks more likely than not -though some have some heavier falls on the east and south east coast in the very early hours of Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I presume ME will start to ramp after tonight's 6 news?

I presume ME will start to ramp after tonight's 6 news?

Friday evening's forecast from ME...

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Im more interested in the real context of that Gif now Kermit than the Snow! Head on Train collision imminent?

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    ICON has potential for arrival of snow showers during the parade -

Hirlam similar

hirlamuk-16-48-0.png?15-17

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png?15-17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It's looking quite cold at the parades on the ECM...

ECM0-48.GIF?15-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

in terms of the uppers over us though I think what I said is probably correct but equally I agree it will be very short lived. Its perfect actually that it falls on a long weekend and should be gone by Tuesday so no one loses more work or school days (novelty of that is gone).

Not everyone works Mon-fri.

We here in Dublin airport are watching this very closely now for possible disruption.

ECM1-48.GIF?15-0

Just looking at this evening's ECM above. This looks disruptive potentially as the parades are ending.

Heavy snow showers coming in to Leinster from Saturday morning. Snow showers continuing through Sunday and Monday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Indeed paddy's day after lunchtime could see heavy snow showers heading into the Dublin area... ECM is the best run of the day, lower heights and colder air overhead for longer. More of a punch to the face than a glancing blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The most unstable sounding for Dublin is from the Arpege at midnight Saturday. Compared to the GFS it's showing much deeper convection and hence heavier showers. The GFS shows the inversion creeping in earlier at 700 hPa as the high moves down from the north.

Still, I'm not sure that we'll see the high depths being predicted here. I reckon 6-8 cm at most at low levels. The sun is already 10% stronger next Sunday as it was at the start of this month, and with warmer and wetter ground this time we should see less accumulation.

445618.PNG

445619.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Yep I was concerned about the weather recently ruining accumulations. IMBY, I can see 3-5cm which is still good for the second half of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Drunken imbeciles on Paddys day + snow showers + Dublin city centre , Would normally = Carnage , but since most of the waste of space government is out of the country, we'll probably cope fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gerry not too concerned anyway re any snow amounts in the latest forecast.

• Advertisement

Updated forecast

**Forecast UPDATED 15th March**

Turning much colder through Saturday as easterly winds become established across the country overnight Friday.

Increasingly unstable air with heavy snow showers coming on to the east coast through Saturday morning will become more widespread through the afternoon with accumulations of snow by evening.

It will feel increasingly raw through Saturday as temperatures fall and the wind chill increases.

Overnight heavy and frequent snow showers most especially in eastern and southeastern coastal counties but most areas are at risk of some snowfall. Heavy falls likely occasionally with some drifting at times particularly high ground which may lead to much reduced visibility. Some thunderstorm activity is also possible with ice pellets mixed in with snowfall at times. Some temporary blizzard like conditions are possible locally in heavy shower bands.

Snow showers, some still heavy, continuing through Sunday. The showers becoming less frequent by Sunday night but still further accumulations in the east for a time.

On Monday snow and hail showers will be lighter and will be dieing out by Monday evening.

Max temperatures on Saturday 1 to 7c (falling quickly by mid-morning). Sunday, -1 to 3c.

Frost and ice will be widespread Saturday and Sunday nights with lows of -1 to -5c both nights. Locally lower where snow has settled.

Amounts of snow likely to be in the 5 - 15 cm range generally but more locally particularly in eastern coastal counties.

Possible warnings: Yellow/Orange

Possible hazards:

Snow
    Ice
    Frost

Most likely source of disruption at the current time: Snow showers

Areas most at risk: Leinster/Munster

Advertisement