Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Day 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,728 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thoughts on Brahma Bull, worth an e/w flutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Ballyoptic in the RSA. On him e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Fan of Duc De Genevres since before Leopardstown. I feel he could have gone in the supreme. He has a fair chance of reversing form with Next Destination with more experience and not without a hope of doing Samcro on an off day. Win 12/1 and without the fav 5/1.

Already backed Monalee at 6s. Not sure how of play it now, maybe Al Boum Photo with the Flogas form.

Taken a chance on Abyssial 33/1, he'll be better for the run last time over inadequate trip. Behind Forge Meadow, Identity Thief and Lagostovegas, all of whom represent good form. This ground will help here.

QMCC is a watching race for me

On Tiger Roll here early, depending on the state of the ground and rain tonight I might go with Bless The Wings

Put the kettle on for the Fred Winter

Arrive back in time to see Rhinestone avenge defeat last time and win the bumper.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

My darts for tomorrow; Vision Des Flos at 8's without Samcro (and a few quid at 20's and up on the machine), Monalee at 7/2, Fixe Le Kap at 16's (think this could run huge despite latest no-show after a wind-op!), Altior at 11/10, The Last Samuri at 6's, Knight Destroyer at 25's (shouldn't beat the fav on form but could improve) and lastly Rhinestone at 8's.

Good luck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Nulty wrote: »
    Fan of Duc De Genevres since before Leopardstown. I feel he could have gone in the supreme. He has a fair chance of reversing form with Next Destination with more experience and not without a hope of doing Samcro on an off day.

Not a hope he is even anywhere near Samcro dude. Go and rewatch Deloitte, Kennedy barely squeezed Samcro and he put 12-15 lengths between himself and DDG, who stayed on through beaten horses to take a 5-6 L second while Samcro looked like he could have gone around the circuit again no bother.

if something beats Samcro it won't be DDG, I spent half the evening trying to find out what could beat him and this was one of the easiest to rule out having lost to the 2 market leaders already.

I'm actually torn between whether Altior or Samcro is the Nap now, Altior better price and has the course form, reigning champ. not so much worried about the injury but the ground, which I don't think will bother Samcro much. Gordon said before he would only be concerned about really heavy before he ran on it before and he won, and they think he's going to get 3 m in time, plus it's the first race so less torn up.

powers refunding all losers up to a tenner if he wins so if you fancy anything else it's basically a free bet to get you started.

actually seen some on twitter fretting that elliott might be in bad form because AJ lost. as if he didn't boss the festival last year or something. a year ago today Kennedy had his first Cheltenham winner, let's make it an annual tradition.

wonder what price I could get for Ruby to draw a blank today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well I've done my research for today and this is what i'm going for.

13:30 Brahma Bull e/w
    14:10 Monalee
    14:50 Topofthegame e/w
    16:10 The Last Samuri
    16:50 Padleyourowncanoe e/w
    17:30 Thebannerkingrebel e/w

Double
    Monalee and The Last Samuri

Good luck to all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

like 5 people have tipped up Brahma Bull at this point, is this based on that comment by david casey on the preview night or what?

his unbeaten record is 3 weak bumpers and a single maiden hurdle. the horse he barely beat by 0.5 L in October, peacock secret, was 48 lengths behind Paloma Blue on Boxing Day. Samcro easily beat Paloma Blue last time and Paloma Blue placed yesterday, so it's a decent yardstick and while anything can happen, on that form I wouldn't back him with money I found in the street even at monster price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Brahma Bull is only running in this as he was going to be ballotted out of the Albert Bartlett which was his main target. He is all about stamina and shouldn’t have the class to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Meetings all pm so no sneaking off to watch Cheltenham for me today. Al Boum Photo teasing me all week but that race is so competitive I'll leave it alone. Hope Percy wins, won a nice few quid on him last year.

Horses on long lay offs, bad jumpers and those recovering from injuries were well exposed yesterday. Min could surprise a few people today. Hurdles v fences form rubbished by Footpad yesterday.

Nube Negra in Fred looks to be very decent. I'll throw a small bet on him. I'll be back in action for the bumper and my first half confident decent priced bet of the week goes to Acey Milan. I'll also back Didthey whatever his name is. If any money comes for Didthey, I'll take heed and substantially increase my stake on him.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Elegant escape also could be a very lively player in the RSA. It's just so competitive. I'll mess around with him in some small doubles. Some decent UK tipster had him well touted, can't remember but I completely missed him until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

like 5 people have tipped up Brahma Bull at this point, is this based on that comment by david casey on the preview night or what?

his unbeaten record is 3 weak bumpers and a single maiden hurdle. the horse he barely beat by 0.5 L in October, peacock secret, was 48 lengths behind Paloma Blue on Boxing Day. Samcro easily beat Paloma Blue last time and Paloma Blue placed yesterday, so it's a decent yardstick and while anything can happen, on that form I wouldn't back him with money I found in the street even at monster price.

What tends to happen every year is people scout the threads for seemingly popular horses that others have put up. Mix in the “insider” preview night knowledge that people get and very quickly people latch on to a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Motivator wrote: »
    What tends to happen every year is people scout the threads for seemingly popular horses that others have put up. Mix in the “insider” preview night knowledge that people get and very quickly people latch on to a horse.

Motivator, chat to me about Melon. What a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Motivator wrote: »

How dare you give away my tactics on a public forum!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Nice bet on Know The Score at 33s in the bumper today..

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

I'm sticking rigidly to yesterday's plan.

Backing 5 Nicholls horses today, all each way.

Super Heinz:
    Samcro
    Monalee
    Mount Mews
    Min
    Last Samurai
    Nube Negra
    Acey Milan

Will have some each way too. Like the look of the following:
    Scarpeta in the first, maybe also Vision see Flos
    Al Boum Photo
    Bleu Berry, maybe also Fixe le Kap
    Ar Mad
    Belamix Dor
    Mitchouka
    Crooks Peak, maybe also Didtheyleaveyououtto

Good luck again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

My fancies for today are Voix Du Reve in the Coral Cup (I've been watching this horse for a while now and he has been running over 3m without ever featuring but always running well enough), so hoping that today will be the day that his potential comes out!

Think Altior has the best form by a good way in the Champ Chase, and I think he'll win.

In the Bumper, I think Carefully Selected won very well at Leopardstown over Christmas, so a replication of that form will have himin the shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Black op
    Black corton
    Red indian
    Politolgue.

Small lucky 15

Last samurai
    Embole
    Didtheyleaveyououtto

Small treble

Great days racing yesterday.

Paloma Blue ran well but way too keen. Footpad was brilliant. Delighted Melon showed how good he is. Some of the sh*t I've had to read about that horse. Hard to see Faugheen and Yorkhill ever coming back. Mick Jazz continues to improve. Any Second Now was a disaster.

Today

1:30 NEXT DESTINATION w/o the fav
    DUC DES GENIEVRES e/w

Samcro is a serious horse and I hope he slashes up. Next Destination is simply the 2nd best horse here imo and Duc des Genievres is a fair price to grab third.

2:10 AL BOUM PHOTO e/w

Find it hard to split Presenting Percy and Monalee and I think the ground is against both here. ABP was a fast finishing 2nd behind Monalee in the Flogas and the longer trip and softer ground will hopefully reverse the form with the winner.

2:50 TOPOFTHEGAME e/w, AS YOU WERE e/w, ABBYSSIAL e/w

3:30 MIN

I have a feeling the Champion Chase today will be a carbon copy of yesterday's Champion Hurdle. Min (Melon) runs Altior (Buveur D'air) close while Douvan (Faugheen) disappoints. No doubt Melon was the Mullins first string yesterday with all the money that came for him. Obviously Ruby couldn't really get off Faugheen but they knew. Might be similar today and the market will tell what to expect from the Mullins pair. If the money comes for Douvan then his supporters will know they're in business and we will have some race on our hands. I'm siding with Min because I think he's very good and I don't believe he's far off Altior and Douvan at all. Min will like the ground and Altior and Douvan will want to be on their game to beat him. I hope all three run to their best though and a part of me will be cheering on Douvan if that happens.

4:10 TIGER ROLL

4:50 ACT OF VALOUR e/w, ERAGON DE CHANAY e/w

5:30 ACEY MILAN e/w, DIDTHEYLEAVEUOUTTO e/w, KNOW THE SCORE e/w, COLREEVY e/w

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Are we missing the obvious in the QMCC? Min is the one with no hassles in preparation, ground will suit..... Min for the Win?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Did anyone catch John Duggan's suggestions on Today FM at 8.40? Apparently he had 4 winners yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Question that I can't seem to find the answer to if cause of causes wins today does it affect his mark for the national?

Question that I can't seem to find the answer to if cause of causes wins today does it affect his mark for the national?

It won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Dickerty wrote: »
    Did anyone catch John Duggan's suggestions on Today FM at 8.40? Apparently he had 4 winners yesterday...

1.30 Samcro

2.10 Monalee

2.50 Fixe La Cap

3.30 Douvan

4.10 Auvergnat

4.50 The King of May

5.30 Carefully Selected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

1.30 Vision Des Flos
    2.10 Elegant Escape
    2.50 As You Were
    3.30 Politologue

E/W Lucky 15

4.10 Tiger Roll to win

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

For anyone following John Duggan's Today FM tips, just adding the stakes, bet types and odds he took in case of use too

1.30 - €120 win Samcro - 4/5

3.30 - €80 win Douvan - 3/1

2.10 - €60 win Monalee - 7/2

2.50 - €30 each way Fixe Le Cap - 14/1

4.10 - €30 each way Auvergnat - 8/1

4.50 - €30 each way The King of May - 10/1

5.30 - €30 each way Carefully Selected - 10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Motivator, chat to me about Melon. What a horse.

Ground played into his hands and Buveur D’Air ran to a lower mark than last year. Good performance from Melon, didn’t think he had that kind of a battle in him but I’m still not convinced by him. If he backs up that performance next time out then I’m happy to be proved wrong, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Hoping for another good day, best of luck everyone.

1:30-Samcro
    2:10-Presenting Percy
    2:50-Mount mews
    3:30-Altior
    4:10-The last samari
    4:50-knight destroyer(EW)
    5:30-carefully selected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

I've gone with

Treble - Samcro, Monalee, Douvan

Treble e/w - Samcro, Act of Valour, Tiger Roll

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym