Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500 emails to rent a small 1 bed in Dublin.

• 13-03-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I have a small 36sqm Apartment for rent in Dublin. I advertised on daft and got 500 emails in 4 days. Maybe 100 begging just to get a viewing.

When are the people going to get FG / FF to do something about housing ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Up the price, make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy living in a capitalist society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I can not up the price there is a rental cap if you have not read. That is not the point. People need housing !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

there was a time just a few years ago where fence sitters were telling people not to buy when prices were on tge floor. where have they gone ?

gar32 wrote: »
    I can not up the price there is a rental cap if you have not read. That is not the point. People need housing !!!!
    Sorry, you had not mentioned you were in an RPZ.

People need housing but if we stopped all the market interference there would be plenty of housing. End HAP/Rent Allowance etc. It creates a price floor.

Resume building social housing. Stop relying on state subsidising the private sector. These are sensible (read: will not happen) iniatives

They are working in the banks now trying to get you to save 40% of the price of an over price 3 bed before you pay the highest interest rates in Europe on the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You mean like introduce a rent cap?

Sorry, but it's government interference that has the market the way it is.

They need to build houses and or lower taxes on building houses.

Cancel stamp duty and zone land in and around Dublin for high rise apartments.

The government so far are fighting for higher rents and higher prices and don't give a sh&t about you or me. Never mind if we have a roof over our head or not.

They get a nice income from rents to replace all the stamp duty they used to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They need to build houses
    They being the councils, the private market model has gotten us here.
    and or lower taxes on building houses.
    That will do no good, builders will pocket the money. Is there vat on a new home for a first time buyer?
    Cancel stamp duty and zone land in and around Dublin for high rise apartments.
    We have a history of building fire traps, do you want to build more that the Fire Brigade can't reach?
    The government so far are fighting for higher rents and higher prices and don't give a sh&t about you or me. Never mind if we have a roof over our head or not.
    They threw us under a bus to save the banks. And give the vultures what ever was left.
    They get a nice income from rents to replace all the stamp duty they used to get.
    Not really they are forcing our small time landlords like you if favour of bug business who will borrow the money buy them, offset the interest against tax and sell up at the end to get the capital growth.

If you want to solve the "housing crisis" build social housing. Stop talking about smaller or taller apartments developers pause plans to see if they can get more units in year hence more $$$$

Build social housing in the form of high rise building that are safe and have fire system like most large cities in the EU or USA.

Bally when there is millions spent buy the council for hotels just to house people. Why can the money not be found to fix this issue. Sure Ireland debt is 200 billion just at a few million to that and this could be fixed in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why can the money not be found to fix this issue. Sure Ireland debt is 200 billion just at a few million to that and this could be fixed in a couple of years.

Jesus wept.

facehugger99 So money to pay back France & Germany for the banks mistakes is OK but to get people a roof over their head it not? Housing is a human right and with the weather in Ireland it has to be LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think that Sinn Féin are the largest party, and have the controlling vote, on Dublin City Council's housing committee. Maybe you should ask them what their plans are to alleviate the crisis.

Sinn Féin like most parties who are for the people change their mind when they get in power and start hiding brown envelops for themselves and friends. The system is broken & I don't expect any large party to change things drastically in favor of the people of Ireland.

FF / FG Labour and now SF are in their own world of spin and TD's wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Housing is a human right and with the weather in Ireland it has to be LOL

There's plenty of houses in Ireland. It's just that people would rather live in a hotel than a home a bit outside their comfort zone. I know people who have had to buy over a 100km from family as that was all they could afford yet people who pay a token rent want to live in the centre of one of the most expensive cities in Europe for housing. So what we currently have is the workers commuting into the city and the unemployed living in the city for a token rent

Unemployed is at 6% Maybe higher in Dublin. Where does these people live in the city? Flats that where built in the 1970's. More blocks are needed so people don't have to spend 10 hours a week traveling to and from work. Someone has done a degree on city planning I am sure they could come up with a better plan the random planing of property here and there. If someone stops thinking about how do I make lots of money out of this for a second and plan for people. People need to live closer to work or have public transport that gets them there fast and cheap.

Remember back in the day, when the Japanese company offered to build a Dublin underground free! Anyone still have their number?

Jobs for the boys and money for the developers is all these people know in the FG / FF etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Or consider living outside of Dublin.

I do I live in Germany but I would like to live in Dublin but FF / FG did not help in 2011 when I lost my job. You have to go where the work is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Or consider living outside of Dublin.

Believe me, that is not really any easier. The supply of lower priced rentals in other areas has plummeted. Partly airbnb and tourism.

Took me many months to find anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Unemployed is at 6% Maybe higher in Dublin. Where does these people live in the city? Flats that where built in the 1970's. More blocks are needed so people don't have to spend 10 hours a week traveling to and from work.

10 hours a week commuting, 1 hour each way per day is pretty much a baseline I would think. Certainly not that many people around Dublin spend less than 45 mins getting to work each morning, unless you are like a short walk to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gar32 wrote:

When are posters going to make actual concrete suggestions about how to do this instead of the usual bland build social housing?

And follow up by explaining how to get around the nimbyism where people object to aspects of almost every single development. Even when the council proposed putting in fabricated housing to get units in place quicker, the locals were out protesting about permanent housing not being built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

there was a time just a few years ago where fence sitters were telling people not to buy when prices were on tge floor. where have they gone ?

Mostly beaten down by the sheer stupidity of government actions over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a small 36sqm Apartment for rent in Dublin. I advertised on daft and got 500 emails in 4 days.
    I'm guessing it's below what many people are eligible for for HAP. Have you stated how many people are allowed in the apartment? Common sense doesn't always apply; people will try to fit their entire family of 5 into the one bed if it's a nice postcode near schools, transportation, etc.
    Housing is a human right
    We have empty houses, but the homeless want to live in certain postcodes.
    We have a history of building fire traps, do you want to build more that the Fire Brigade can't reach?
    How about we don't build firetraps, and instead build structures with more concrete? Most firetraps that I've seen were built cheaply, with cheap materials, cheap (and very flammable) insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Graces7 wrote: »
    Believe me, that is not really any easier. The supply of lower priced rentals in other areas has plummeted. Partly airbnb and tourism.

Took me many months to find anywhere.

I know of a few places were whole villages are empty. One has a primary school a few hundred metres away and about 5km from a mid sized town with a secondary school. Instead of living in a hotel to get a cheap house next to Mammy why not move your whole family to a different area, which is what people who pay full price have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    Instead of living in a hotel to get a cheap house next to Mammy why not move your whole family to a different area, which is what people who pay full price have to do.
    Is Mammy going to be consulted or just bundled into the back of a van in the dead of night?

Lumen wrote: »
    Is Mammy going to be consulted or just bundled into the back of a van in the dead of night?
    Completely irrelevant. Mammy has a house.
    Live and let live. Cut loose and build social housing.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant. Mammy has a house.
    Live and let live. Cut loose and build social housing.
    I assume you are reading Del's "whole family" differently than I did.

I assume you are reading Del's "whole family" differently than I did.
    He said "to get a house next to mammy".
    I read that as the typical "turning down viable houses" case.

I didnt see a different way of reading that. Perhaps I've missed something :confused:

• Advertisement

Idea's at coming out of every where.

China have a robot 3D printer using concrete that can make a 2 bed in 2 days. Finished of with internal work in a week.

You can buy a prefabbed 1, 2 or 3 bedroom house in Italy that has a 20 years guarantee from €35k- €80 which don't need foundations and are off the grid. Water is rain collected, Solar panels, a rated for power and heat. Just need a tank for waste water or a link to city waste system.

In Hong kong you can buy a small room studio for €15k in a block with 10,000 rooms. This could be done for students or even close too large companies for people until they get something better.

There are house & home not being used in Ireland. It has been suggested to tax them if empty. Force people to use what is is there!!!

I could go on and on and on.

€330,000 for a house is not going to work for over 80% of people in and around Dublin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

ELM327 wrote:
    Up the price, make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy living in a capitalist society.

Slime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Couple of factors that never get discussed in the housing crisis.
    (i) There are 100'000 overseas students in Ireland, majority in Dublin. Out of the population of people looking for accomodation at any given time, they are a very very big part.
    (ii) This is a matter of fact, not opinion so if you want to challenge it, challenge it on factual lines. The HAP system provides massive benefits to tenants that are eligible. But there is zero benefit to landlords. HAP is basically saying- people on low wages "we will give you a subsidy such that you can afford the same level of housing as someone on a much higher wage". Now being able to afford housing, and being able to get housing are two different things. What in effect is happening is that the HAP person uses the subsidy to try to outbid the person who is in a middle income job. The middle income person has to pay up to the max that the HAP person can afford. And at that point, the landlord inevitably says - well I have a choice here between one tenant where I have to fill out a load of forms, get authorisations from my bank, make my property open to inspections every two months, and be dealing with both the state and the tenant if the tenant decides to stop paying their share - and another person where I can just sign a lease and away we go..........which is more attractive for the landlord in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Until there’s a crash and the banks are bailed out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

gar32 wrote:
    China have a robot 3D printer using concrete that can make a 2 bed in 2 days. Finished of with internal work in a week.

Interesting ideas (overall).

I like many, feel that we need to build up and not constantly out. Infrastructure will be required regardless but many plots in Dublin city centre are either sparsely populated or derelict. Keep building out and we'll have longer commute times and no countryside left.

It's clear however that rents in Dublin are ludicrous. As or more expensive than the likes of Zurich city yet of lower quality and lower salaries i'd wager. How many people are putting 50%+ of net earnings into rental?

You can buy a prefabbed 1, 2 or 3 bedroom house in Italy that has a 20 years guarantee from €35k- €80 which don't need foundations and are off the grid. Water is rain collected, Solar panels, a rated for power and heat. Just need a tank for waste water or a link to city waste system.

In Hong kong you can buy a small room studio for €15k in a block with 10,000 rooms. This could be done for students or even close too large companies for people until they get something better.

There are house & home not being used in Ireland. It has been suggested to tax them if empty. Force people to use what is is there!!!

I could go on and on and on.

€330,000 for a house is not going to work for over 80% of people in and around Dublin!!!

This is not a Dublin problem. Its an issue in any city with major international industries.

London
    New York
    Stockholm
    Amsterdam
    Sydney
    Luxembourg
    San Francisco

etc etc etc

However only in Ireland is it perceived as a purely local issue.

• Advertisement

He said "to get a house next to mammy".
    I read that as the typical "turning down viable houses" case.

I didnt see a different way of reading that. Perhaps I've missed something :confused:

Del suggested that an appropriate solution would be for the "whole family" to move to a lower demand area. I assumed he meant "including Mammy" and questioned whether she would be happy to do this, being an independent adult with social ties to the area.

And you then posted, rather oddly, that my response was irrelevant.

Perhaps you quoted the wrong post.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

@OP Was it literally 500 emails?

Until there’s a crash and the banks are bailed out again.
    I don't agree with that either....
    But it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.
    Del suggested that an appropriate solution would be for the "whole family" to move to a lower demand area. I assumed he meant "including Mammy" and questioned whether she would be happy to do this, being an independent adult with social ties to the area.

And you then posted, rather oddly, that my response was irrelevant.

Perhaps you quoted the wrong post.
    I assumed the whole family did not exclude extended family. You can't, after all, compel a self-funding member of society who has bought their own property to move house.

I did not quote the wrong post, I see now we read it differently. My comment is directed at those who refuse a free (or token contribution) house.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This is not a Dublin problem. Its an issue in any city with major international industries.

London
    New York
    Stockholm
    Amsterdam
    Sydney
    Luxembourg
    San Francisco

etc etc etc

However only in Ireland is it perceived as a purely local issue.

Ireland is nowhere in the category of world cities. And people in those places do complain about house prices.

Why not compare Dublin to Manchester?

Ireland is nowhere in the category of world cities. And people in those places do complain about house prices.

Because Dublin is our capital city and as such the correct relevant comparison is London.
    Have you tried sourcing property in London these days?

I have.. assisting our London office for new staff. And I can tell you, it's so much of a nightmare that we provide accomodation for the first 4-6 weeks for a new starter that is from outside the area and also offer to give salary advances for deposits.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with that either....
    But it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.

It is if you are promoting “capitalism”. Renters are paying for the bailout. The bailout caused by the collapse in capitalism. Without that bailout property would be worthless.

Dont know what you mean "nowhere in the category of" thats incredibly vague and no grounds for basing an argument.

Dublin has a massive amount of international businesses employing international people. Facebook, Google, Ebay, State Street, Citi, SAP, Intel ......massive international businesses that employ hundreds of thousands in Dublin city and its surrounds.

It has an international workforce, and that is impacting on the housing market.

Thats a characteristic of the cities I mentioned. its not a characteristic of Manchester. Comparing Dublin to Manchester is Apples and Oranges.

And yes people in those places complain about house prices; but nowhere on the level seen in Ireland, even though San Francisco or Luxembourg would be far more unaffordable than Dublin.

Because Dublin is our capital city and as such the correct relevant comparison is London.
    Have you tried sourcing property in London these days?

Nonsense. The word “capital” doesn’t make a city ten times bigger. And Berlin is cheap enough while San Francisco isn’t a capital. There’s no relationship between being a capital and housing.
    I have.. assisting our London office for new staff. And I can tell you, it's so much of a nightmare that we provide accomodation for the first 4-6 weeks for a new starter that is from outside the area and also offer to give salary advances for deposits.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. If I hadn’t lived there I wouldn’t know. London is a world city like New York (also not a capital).

Irrelevant. Dublin shouldn’t be as expense and shouldn’t aim to use London as an excuse.

(Also London has probably peaked.)

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Dont know what you mean "nowhere in the category of" thats incredibly vague and no grounds for basing an argument.

It’s a small city. Not a world city.
    Dublin has a massive amount of international businesses employing international people. Facebook, Google, Ebay, State Street, Citi, SAP, Intel ......massive international businesses that employ hundreds of thousands in Dublin city and its surrounds.

That’s not the reason for high prices. If it were prices would never have dropped post 2008. It’s supply and demand.
    It has an international workforce, and that is impacting on the housing market.

That’s also a supply and demand mismatch.
    Thats a characteristic of the cities I mentioned. its not a characteristic of Manchester. Comparing Dublin to Manchester is Apples and Oranges.

Similar sized provincial working class cities. They are historically far more similar than Dublin is to London.
    And yes people in those places complain about house prices; but nowhere on the level seen in Ireland, even though San Francisco or Luxembourg would be far more unaffordable than Dublin.

It’s causing attacks on the buses ferrying IT workers in San Francisco, and seen a resurgence of the Labour Party in London. A Labour Party that promises massive house building. Of course people complain in those countries.

In fact Silicon Valley is worried that people are leaving. The net migration is zero. There are articles on this literally every day in the mercury news and the chronicle.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. If I hadn’t lived there I wouldn’t know. London is a world city like New York (also not a capital).

Irrelevant. Dublin shouldn’t be as expense and shouldn’t aim to use London as an excuse.

(Also London has probably peaked.)
    This sort of argument over the nature of Dublin vs London ignores the fact that Londoners also believe they have a housing crisis!

London is not any kind of model to be emulated.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/29/can-you-really-save-for-a-deposit-by-ditching-coffee-and-avocado-toast-i-tried-to-find-out

Forget about houses, in London it is impossible for a person of ordinary means at ordinary property-buying age (established career, late 20s) to buy a one-bed apartment.

It’s a small city. Not a world city.

That’s not the reason for high prices. If it were prices would never have dropped post 2008. It’s supply and demand.

That’s also a supply and demand mismatch.

Similar sized provincial working class cities. They are historically far more similar than Dublin is to London.

It’s causing attacks on the buses ferrying IT workers in San Francisco, and seen a resurgence of the Labour Party in London. A Labour Party that promises massive house building. Of course people complain in those countries.

In fact Silicon Valley is worried that people are leaving. The net migration is zero. There are articles on this literally every day in the mercury news and the chronicle.

(i) You insist on dealing in Vague.....its a small city is not a World city...... what does this mean?

Mexico City has 20 million people. Buenos Aires has 15 million. They dont have housing crises....... You are not making a point here at all.

(ii) Historically doesnt come into it. Historically people lived in farms.

(iii) There's a supply and demand mismatch. Correct, there sure is.

(iv) Re 2008 - cast your mind back to that time - remember the PIIGS economies? Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain? Which is the only one thats had a strong recovery? Which is the only one that has a strong international industry base? ireland

How is Naples doing.....plenty of houses there; what about Madrid; no shortage apartments in Madrid. But all the young Madristas want to leave; and huge chunks of them are coming to Dublin. And Athens?

(v) As for your final point; I never said people in those cities were happy with the housing market. My point is, only in Ireland is it perceived as a local issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

In Hong kong you can buy a small room studio for €15k

Given that there are no longer any flats to rent for less than €1k per month, I would be very surprised if you could buy a flat in Hong Kong for €15k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tombo2001 wrote:
    Couple of factors that never get discussed in the housing crisis. (i) There are 100'000 overseas students in Ireland, majority in Dublin. Out of the population of people looking for accomodation at any given time, they are a very very big part. (ii) This is a matter of fact, not opinion so if you want to challenge it, challenge it on factual lines.

The fact is that many, if not all those students are staying in single room digs. They're not really adding to the problem.

The fact is that many, if not all those students are staying in single room digs. They're not really adding to the problem.

i take your point; but single room digs are part of the supply of accomodation, and also plenty of international students are staying in apartments.

You put an ad for an apartment in Daft, a heap of replies will be from international student......

Its definitely a factor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement