Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

500 emails to rent a small 1 bed in Dublin.

• 13-03-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I have a small 36sqm Apartment for rent in Dublin. I advertised on daft and got 500 emails in 4 days. Maybe 100 begging just to get a viewing.

When are the people going to get FG / FF to do something about housing ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Up the price, make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy living in a capitalist society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I can not up the price there is a rental cap if you have not read. That is not the point. People need housing !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

there was a time just a few years ago where fence sitters were telling people not to buy when prices were on tge floor. where have they gone ?

gar32 wrote: »
    I can not up the price there is a rental cap if you have not read. That is not the point. People need housing !!!!
    Sorry, you had not mentioned you were in an RPZ.

People need housing but if we stopped all the market interference there would be plenty of housing. End HAP/Rent Allowance etc. It creates a price floor.

Resume building social housing. Stop relying on state subsidising the private sector. These are sensible (read: will not happen) iniatives

They are working in the banks now trying to get you to save 40% of the price of an over price 3 bed before you pay the highest interest rates in Europe on the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You mean like introduce a rent cap?

Sorry, but it's government interference that has the market the way it is.

They need to build houses and or lower taxes on building houses.

Cancel stamp duty and zone land in and around Dublin for high rise apartments.

The government so far are fighting for higher rents and higher prices and don't give a sh&t about you or me. Never mind if we have a roof over our head or not.

They get a nice income from rents to replace all the stamp duty they used to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They need to build houses
    They being the councils, the private market model has gotten us here.
    and or lower taxes on building houses.
    That will do no good, builders will pocket the money. Is there vat on a new home for a first time buyer?
    Cancel stamp duty and zone land in and around Dublin for high rise apartments.
    We have a history of building fire traps, do you want to build more that the Fire Brigade can't reach?
    The government so far are fighting for higher rents and higher prices and don't give a sh&t about you or me. Never mind if we have a roof over our head or not.
    They threw us under a bus to save the banks. And give the vultures what ever was left.
    They get a nice income from rents to replace all the stamp duty they used to get.
    Not really they are forcing our small time landlords like you if favour of bug business who will borrow the money buy them, offset the interest against tax and sell up at the end to get the capital growth.

If you want to solve the "housing crisis" build social housing. Stop talking about smaller or taller apartments developers pause plans to see if they can get more units in year hence more $$$$

Build social housing in the form of high rise building that are safe and have fire system like most large cities in the EU or USA.

Bally when there is millions spent buy the council for hotels just to house people. Why can the money not be found to fix this issue. Sure Ireland debt is 200 billion just at a few million to that and this could be fixed in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why can the money not be found to fix this issue. Sure Ireland debt is 200 billion just at a few million to that and this could be fixed in a couple of years.

Jesus wept.

facehugger99 So money to pay back France & Germany for the banks mistakes is OK but to get people a roof over their head it not? Housing is a human right and with the weather in Ireland it has to be LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think that Sinn Féin are the largest party, and have the controlling vote, on Dublin City Council's housing committee. Maybe you should ask them what their plans are to alleviate the crisis.

Sinn Féin like most parties who are for the people change their mind when they get in power and start hiding brown envelops for themselves and friends. The system is broken & I don't expect any large party to change things drastically in favor of the people of Ireland.

FF / FG Labour and now SF are in their own world of spin and TD's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Housing is a human right and with the weather in Ireland it has to be LOL

There's plenty of houses in Ireland. It's just that people would rather live in a hotel than a home a bit outside their comfort zone. I know people who have had to buy over a 100km from family as that was all they could afford yet people who pay a token rent want to live in the centre of one of the most expensive cities in Europe for housing. So what we currently have is the workers commuting into the city and the unemployed living in the city for a token rent

Unemployed is at 6% Maybe higher in Dublin. Where does these people live in the city? Flats that where built in the 1970's. More blocks are needed so people don't have to spend 10 hours a week traveling to and from work. Someone has done a degree on city planning I am sure they could come up with a better plan the random planing of property here and there. If someone stops thinking about how do I make lots of money out of this for a second and plan for people. People need to live closer to work or have public transport that gets them there fast and cheap.

Remember back in the day, when the Japanese company offered to build a Dublin underground free! Anyone still have their number?

Jobs for the boys and money for the developers is all these people know in the FG / FF etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Or consider living outside of Dublin.

I do I live in Germany but I would like to live in Dublin but FF / FG did not help in 2011 when I lost my job. You have to go where the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Or consider living outside of Dublin.

Believe me, that is not really any easier. The supply of lower priced rentals in other areas has plummeted. Partly airbnb and tourism.

Took me many months to find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Unemployed is at 6% Maybe higher in Dublin. Where does these people live in the city? Flats that where built in the 1970's. More blocks are needed so people don't have to spend 10 hours a week traveling to and from work.

10 hours a week commuting, 1 hour each way per day is pretty much a baseline I would think. Certainly not that many people around Dublin spend less than 45 mins getting to work each morning, unless you are like a short walk to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gar32 wrote:

When are posters going to make actual concrete suggestions about how to do this instead of the usual bland build social housing?

And follow up by explaining how to get around the nimbyism where people object to aspects of almost every single development. Even when the council proposed putting in fabricated housing to get units in place quicker, the locals were out protesting about permanent housing not being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

there was a time just a few years ago where fence sitters were telling people not to buy when prices were on tge floor. where have they gone ?

Mostly beaten down by the sheer stupidity of government actions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a small 36sqm Apartment for rent in Dublin. I advertised on daft and got 500 emails in 4 days.
    I'm guessing it's below what many people are eligible for for HAP. Have you stated how many people are allowed in the apartment? Common sense doesn't always apply; people will try to fit their entire family of 5 into the one bed if it's a nice postcode near schools, transportation, etc.
    Housing is a human right
    We have empty houses, but the homeless want to live in certain postcodes.
    We have a history of building fire traps, do you want to build more that the Fire Brigade can't reach?
    How about we don't build firetraps, and instead build structures with more concrete? Most firetraps that I've seen were built cheaply, with cheap materials, cheap (and very flammable) insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Graces7 wrote: »
    Believe me, that is not really any easier. The supply of lower priced rentals in other areas has plummeted. Partly airbnb and tourism.

Took me many months to find anywhere.

I know of a few places were whole villages are empty. One has a primary school a few hundred metres away and about 5km from a mid sized town with a secondary school. Instead of living in a hotel to get a cheap house next to Mammy why not move your whole family to a different area, which is what people who pay full price have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    Instead of living in a hotel to get a cheap house next to Mammy why not move your whole family to a different area, which is what people who pay full price have to do.
    Is Mammy going to be consulted or just bundled into the back of a van in the dead of night?

Lumen wrote: »
    Is Mammy going to be consulted or just bundled into the back of a van in the dead of night?
    Completely irrelevant. Mammy has a house.
    Live and let live. Cut loose and build social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ELM327 wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant. Mammy has a house.
    Live and let live. Cut loose and build social housing.
    I assume you are reading Del's "whole family" differently than I did.

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume you are reading Del's "whole family" differently than I did.
    He said "to get a house next to mammy".
    I read that as the typical "turning down viable houses" case.

I didnt see a different way of reading that. Perhaps I've missed something :confused:

• Advertisement

Idea's at coming out of every where.

China have a robot 3D printer using concrete that can make a 2 bed in 2 days. Finished of with internal work in a week.

You can buy a prefabbed 1, 2 or 3 bedroom house in Italy that has a 20 years guarantee from €35k- €80 which don't need foundations and are off the grid. Water is rain collected, Solar panels, a rated for power and heat. Just need a tank for waste water or a link to city waste system.

In Hong kong you can buy a small room studio for €15k in a block with 10,000 rooms. This could be done for students or even close too large companies for people until they get something better.

There are house & home not being used in Ireland. It has been suggested to tax them if empty. Force people to use what is is there!!!

I could go on and on and on.

€330,000 for a house is not going to work for over 80% of people in and around Dublin!!!

Advertisement