Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well, when people are travelling 50-100K to work, cycling is not really an option.

I know that and was going to include reference to some of the towns being too far out, but Moycullen and Barna for example are definitely cycleable. My point was more to do with the default mindset being ROADS ROADS ROADS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There is a short 2km section of the Tralee-Fenit greenway open, from near the station to Bracker O'Regan road crossing.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the Ennistymon-Lahinch section of the West Clare Greenway is now open, someone might confirm, haven't been up that way in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

RikkFlair wrote: »
    There is a short 2km section of the Tralee-Fenit greenway open, from near the station to Bracker O'Regan road crossing.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the Ennistymon-Lahinch section of the West Clare Greenway is now open, someone might confirm, haven't been up that way in a while.

Updated those greenways, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

RikkFlair wrote: »

I'm from Clare.

There has been no development/work on the West Clare Greenway. Farmer opposition is the problem I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Farmer opposition is the problem I believe.
    If it's the same as anywhere else in the country, then it could be more correctly called squatter opposition.

Another "concern" is laughably called "security" - like someone who would never think of using a car to rob a house, is going to cycle miles down a Greenway in the middle of the night to take away farm equipment with them on their bicycles ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

serfboard wrote: »
    If it's the same as anywhere else in the country, then it could be more correctly called squatter opposition.

Another "concern" is laughably called "security" - like someone who would never think of using a car to rob a house, is going to cycle miles down a Greenway in the middle of the night to take away farm equipment with them on their bicycles ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's right all rural crime concerns the theft of farm machinery. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yeah, that's right all rural crime concerns the theft of farm machinery. :rolleyes:

Still, if you were going to commit a crime you wouldn't arrive by bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

spacetweek wrote: »
    Still, if you were going to commit a crime you wouldn't arrive by bicycle.

True, but opening up another route onto people's property is not going to improve security.

True, but opening up another route onto people's property is not going to improve security.

We should start a petition to close a load of roads, that'll confound the crime cyclers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This doesn't really make a lot of sense in reality - the greenways are nearly always completely fenced in, and they are usually on the edges of large plots of property rather than running right beside someone's house. What security is compromised by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

There are conflicting studies - some show an increase in traffic past a property leads to increased security as there are more people who can spot and report crime, therefore less criminals brave the increased risk of being caught.

Updated the Greenway Map with the Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir greenway, according to this article it is in use and will be 'Officially' opened later in the year when signage is in place. Hopefully see it extended down towards the Deise and over towards Cahir in future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was driving along the M6 the other day between Athlone and Galway. I noticed there are quite a few long stretches where there is a very minor road, maybe access, running alongside the motorway for quite a few kms each. I'm not sure how far they go, but there seemed to be several of them.

Could these be joined up to form a greenway?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Probably but it wouldn't be a great route, nothing to see if you're cycling beside a motorway the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

spacetweek wrote: »
    Probably but it wouldn't be a great route, nothing to see if you're cycling beside a motorway the whole way.

And unpleasantly noisy I'd imagine. Think a parallell to M6 route was proposed as a means of breaking the deadlock re access to private land but don't think would be users would be interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good article on the success of various Greenways here.

Added some more completed green-ways to the map around Derry, made harder by the authorities regularly considering painted line cycle lanes on roads as 'Traffic Free NCN'. Its a real pain trying to find information on existing/planned traffic free routes in the other cities, none of them have anything like the Dublin greenway plan. If you know of any, particularly for Cork/Limerick/Galway or any other cities/towns let me know and I'll add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

On the Royal Canal in Kildare, Maynooth (from the train station, I think) to just west of Kilcock (where it goes under the R148, adjacent to the R158) is complete.

According to signage, another section was to open on the 31st of December last. This is from aforementioned location in Kilcock to Ferrans Lock, I'd say that about 1.5 - 2km further to the NW. Haven't been down that way since mid December though so can't confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rosslare - Waterford along the closed railway (not technically "disused" yet but unlikely to reopen):
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

loyatemu wrote: »
    Rosslare - Waterford along the closed railway (not technically "disused" yet but unlikely to reopen):
    https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway

Well it certainly won't reopen with that on top of it, or beside it. I recall Tanya Fenelon's doomed campaign in 2010 to save the rail service, and NTA and CIE's utterly cynical attitude to it.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »

Thanks for this, moving Waterford to Rosslaire to 'Proposed' on the map, I imagine there will be considerable protest at the idea of such a recently mothballed track being turned into greenway...

A great write up in the New York Times no less, on the Great Western Greenway

Paid for itself in the first year, has led to 200 local jobs and more benefits besides

https://nyti.ms/2F5zzFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

http://connachttribune.ie/east-west-greenway-plan-back-track-698

Athlone- Galway Greenway "back on track". Without CPO's or a publicly owned land bank it's going to be a painfully slow process.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shross replying to a question on the Renard-Glenbeigh greenway from Alan Kelly:
    My Department awarded funding of almost €4m to Kerry County Council in 2014 for the development of a South Kerry Greenway from Glenbeigh to Renard.

I understand that Kerry County Council is continuing to work on planning, design and environmental assessment of the Greenway and expects to be in a position to submit a planning application to An Bord Pleanála in the coming months.

Given the specific engineering challenges and potential land acquisition and other costs associated with the South Kerry Greenway, the funding currently allocated to the project will not be sufficient to provide for its construction. Kerry County Council is preparing a revised business case for this project which, I understand, will shortly be submitted to my Department for consideration.

As you will be aware my Department is currently developing a Strategy for the future development of greenways which I aim to publish in Q2 2018. This Strategy will provide a long term vision and framework upon which Ireland's greenways can be planned in a strategic manner. The Strategy will also, among other things, seek to address the issues experienced in delivering the South Kerry Greenway and will provide guidance to all local authorities wishing to avail of funding under future funding calls

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Has there ever been a proposal for a greenway of sorts across the Malahide Estuary adjacent to the railway line?

Would be a fantastic walkway and would be great for cycling.

Thanks to the sterling work of NI Greenways I now have plenty of new additions needed to my Greenway map. He's just released an update to his site and its a fantastic resource for all Northern Irish greenway projects. I intend to update the map and for each greenway I can get information on I'll link to the info, so the majority of NI will be linked to NI greenways great info pages. NI Greenways Site

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a proposal for a greenway of sorts across the Malahide Estuary adjacent to the railway line?

Would be a fantastic walkway and would be great for cycling.

Yes and it seems to be going ahead:

http://www.markhenry.ie/?p=3634

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Successful greenways need more than simply a greenway, they also need strong marketing - that doesn't have to mean expense, it could mean a local group who are adept at using social media for example (e.g. Waterford). I'm a bit concerned we will have a few damp squibs around the place with the rush to build the infrastructure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hmmm wrote: »
    Successful greenways need more than simply a greenway, they also need strong marketing - that doesn't have to mean expense, it could mean a local group who are adept at using social media for example (e.g. Waterford). I'm a bit concerned we will have a few damp squibs around the place with the rush to build the infrastructure.

I'm not, not every greenway has to be some massive international tourist draw.

Most greenways are heavily used and enjoyed by locals.

For instance the Greenway between Blackrock and Passage West down in Cork might not be well known outside Cork, but go down their any weekend and it is jam packed with locals using it.

In the long term, once we have a real national network of properly interlinked Greenways, we can advertise it internationally, ala, The Wild Atlantic Way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

bk wrote: »
    Most greenways are heavily used and enjoyed by locals.

For instance the Greenway between Blackrock and Passage West down in Cork might not be well known outside Cork, but go down their any weekend and it is jam packed with locals using it.
    I don't disagree, but Greenway proponents need to be careful how they sell this. In most places, it seems to be sold as a way to bring tourism and visitors into the neighbourhood - the positive local aspects are a secondary benefit. So far we've had two high profile successes, but it's more difficult to see how some of the Greenways being built in the midlands which do not have the scenery draw can generate tourist visits without strong marketing.

Advertisement