Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't disagree, but Greenway proponents need to be careful how they sell this. In most places, it seems to be sold as a way to bring tourism and visitors into the neighbourhood - the positive local aspects are a secondary benefit. So far we've had two high profile successes, but it's more difficult to see how some of the Greenways being built in the midlands which do not have the scenery draw can generate tourist visits without strong marketing.

To be honest, I think they will draw more then enough visitors from the surrounding areas to be seen as a success.

The reality for even the most successful greenways, it isn't the foreign tourists who are the most important visitors, they might come just once a year or even once a lifetime. It is the people from the surrounding area who come almost every weekend and stop at the coffee shops along the way for a coffee every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

I don't disagree, but Greenway proponents need to be careful how they sell this. In most places, it seems to be sold as a way to bring tourism and visitors into the neighbourhood - the positive local aspects are a secondary benefit. So far we've had two high profile successes, but it's more difficult to see how some of the Greenways being built in the midlands which do not have the scenery draw can generate tourist visits without strong marketing.
    The cumulative effect of having a joining network of Greenways will give Tourism Ireland something to sell the whole island on all around the world. Tony Robinson can knock 15 minutes of prime time TV out of a rock in a field near Leicester. There's something to be learned from that. Culture and heritage is everywhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think Irish people under appreciate how lovely our entire country is. While the midlands mind seem a bit boring compared to other parts of the country. To many tourists, the green fields of the midlands can be strikingly beautiful compared to their homes.

Remember the Netherlands is one of the top cycling tour destinations in the world and their countryside has to be some of the plainest and most boring around. By comparison the Midlands would be far more interesting.

As part of a longer cycling trip to get from the East coast to the West, etc. The midlands parts would be perfectly enjoyable for tourists if properly developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

There is a Greenway proposed between Wexford and Curracloe. It will be through the North Slobs, and because of the wintering birds it may not be open year-round

https://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/geese-in-the-bog-call-shots-on-greenway-plan-36646813.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Successful greenways need more than simply a greenway, they also need strong marketing - that doesn't have to mean expense, it could mean a local group who are adept at using social media for example (e.g. Waterford). I'm a bit concerned we will have a few damp squibs around the place with the rush to build the infrastructure.

As a commuter in north Dublin I would desperately to love see the council move their arses on this. I commute from Skerries to the City Centre and I used to cycle the odd time but the road from lusk to Turvey is just too dangerous. I think a viable cycling option for people in north county Dublin would transform the commute and health of a lot of people.

Would reduced the cycling distance to the City Centre to around 20kms. That would be epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

bk wrote: »
    Remember the Netherlands is one of the top cycling tour destinations in the world and their countryside has to be some of the plainest and most boring around. By comparison the Midlands would be far more interesting.

As part of a longer cycling trip to get from the East coast to the West, etc. The midlands parts would be perfectly enjoyable for tourists if properly developed.

I remember meeting Dutch tourists once who told me the flowers in Ireland were wonderful. I was a bit puzzled, thinking of "Tulips from Amsterdam", Dutch Bulb fields etc but turns out they meant things like the furze, (whin/gorse) bushes! So you have a point.

Your other point re networked greenways is spot on and dare I add the possiblilty of taking a bike on public transport more easily than at present? No matter how wonderful the Great Western or Waterford Greenways are, cycle tourists are not going to spend a week pedalling up and down either but will want to move on. Then they may well want to return their hired or own bike to their starting point by P/T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I won’t be signing, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Muckyboots wrote: »

Signed!

Signed and shared

• Advertisement

Signed :)

Looks like the Great Southern Greenway from south Limerick to Listowel, is back on track (excuse the pun) with the landowners along the route coming up with the solutions themselves after a visit to the Waterford Greenway

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/kerry-landowners-on-board-for-new-rail-line-greenway-plan-after-getting-key-concessions-36731895.html

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I've seen photos of the Ballynahinch section of the Connemara greenway recently, looks finished although I don't know if it is, anyone have any idea if its completed and if so where exactly it starts and ends? I'd like to add it to the map as a completed section.

Well yes, definitely great to have somehere to walk but dont agree with the bit re lycra necessary for cycling. We've had 200 years of the bike and lycra has been around for < 60!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Well yes, definitely great to have somehere to walk but dont agree with the bit re lycra necessary for cycling. We've had 200 years of the bike and lycra has been around for < 60!

Every time I see a bunch of fellas bet into Lycra I think of Roderick Spode’s Blackshorts :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Planning process on South Kerry Greenway to begin this week:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/planning-process-south-kerry-greenway-due-begin-week/

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

[Fianna Fail] Councillor Michael Cahill ... says the greenway is critical to South Kerry in terms of job creation.
    Our local councillors are finally getting it ...

serfboard wrote: »
    Our local councillors are finally getting it ...

Not original I know but Greenways for slow learners:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Good to see Offaly following the lead of their cousins in Westmeath and developing a greenway. Rather than just another linear greenway, long term they should look to create a Midlands greenway loop. If a greenway was created between Tullamore and Edenderry and linked to Royal Canal at Enfield and the Old Rail Trail at Athlone, you could have a c.200km loop of some of the main midland towns. The Midlands won't be able to complete with the Waterford and Great Western greenways in terms of scenery and general tourist trade, but they could offer several days of bike only travel which would be very attractive.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Good to see Offaly following the lead of their cousins in Westmeath and developing a greenway. Rather than just another linear greenway, long term they should look to create a Midlands greenway loop. If a greenway was created between Tullamore and Edenderry and linked to Royal Canal at Enfield and the Old Rail Trail at Athlone, you could have a c.200km loop of some of the main midland towns. The Midlands won't be able to complete with the Waterford and Great Western greenways in terms of scenery and general tourist trade, but they could offer several days of bike only travel which would be very attractive.

Agree, Manchán Magan was on some radio programme last year talking re holidays in Irl and he as making the point that there are attractions other than scenery which interest visitors including Irish visitors. As far I remember he mentioned as examples things like the Arigna Mining Experience, The bog at Lough Boora, Athlone Castle and the Cuilcagh Boardwalk. So while some Greenways will offer spectacular views the sheer joy of cycling on a traffic free route combined with interesting laces to visit will also offer an attractive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Some more details on the above greenway.
    http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Planning/News/Grand-Canal-Greenway-Planning-Report-280318-pdf.pdf

Connecting the Royal and Grand canals with a greenway and making a loop also sounds great but is probably a long way off if it ever happens. There is a long disused branch line railway (MGWR) running from Edenderry to Enfield through Carbury bog that would be perfect if it were mostly intact and in public ownership which I believe it isn't so lots hurdles there. It is mentioned as a potential greenway (greenway K8) in the NTA draft cycle plan for greater Dublin.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Proposed_Network_Rural11.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There is a long disused branch line railway (MGWR) running from Edenderry to Enfield through Carbury bog that would be perfect if it were mostly intact and in public ownership which I believe it isn't so lots hurdles there.
    I'm pretty sure the R104 Enfield-Edenderry scheme from 2014 was built on top of the old railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the R104 Enfield-Edenderry scheme from 2014 was built on top of the old railway line.
    No the realigned road didn't use any of the old railway line. However the railway line is "severed" by the M4 near the Enfield motorway services.

Old railway line through the bog and realigned R402 shown here
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Carbury,+Longridge,+Co.+Kildare/@53.3642702,-6.9487869,2701m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x485d85f732e54829:0x2600c7a819bae482!8m2!3d53.3571946!4d-6.9726095

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Some more details on the above greenway.
    http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Planning/News/Grand-Canal-Greenway-Planning-Report-280318-pdf.pdf

Connecting the Royal and Grand canals with a greenway and making a loop also sounds great but is probably a long way off if it ever happens. There is a long disused branch line railway (MGWR) running from Edenderry to Enfield through Carbury bog that would be perfect if it were mostly intact and in public ownership which I believe it isn't so lots hurdles there. It is mentioned as a potential greenway (greenway K8) in the NTA draft cycle plan for greater Dublin.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Proposed_Network_Rural11.pdf

It's not too far from Kilbeggan to Streamstown to connect to the Athlone/Mullingar greenway, but some imagination would be required.

Presentation given on proposed Great Eastern Greenway from Carlingford to Drogheda

https://talkofthetown.ie/presentation-given-proposed-great-eastern-greenway-carlingford-drogheda/

The new greenway will be a core element in Moate's aim to become the ‘best small town in Ireland

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/04/05/4154329-moates-aim-to-become-the-best-small-town-in-ireland/

• Advertisement

The marketing of Waterford to visitors has transformed into a collaborative approach by multiple entities to ensure 2,3,4,&5 night stays are taken up by visitors to the greenway, thereby generating many more streams of revenue for Waterford and its people

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-business/12205-waterford-business-matters-12205.html

Advertisement