Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just read the Race Report Sean. Absolutely inspirational. Really enjoyed that so thanks for the racing effort that gave you the material for same. Your mileage is impressive. Keep motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

denis b wrote: »
    Just read the Race Report Sean. Absolutely inspirational. Really enjoyed that so thanks for the racing effort that gave you the material for same. Your mileage is impressive. Keep motoring.

Thanks a million. I'm really enjoying the running which is the most important thing. I guess it makes writing a report easier. The mileage will keep going until Bohermeen and then I'll take a look at things again.

Another great week of training S; fairly cranking up the miles!

You know you want to get those spikes....go on go on go on! Embrace XC!

Ah the miles have been pretty consistent for a while now, there won't be any more cranking up. It'll pretty much be the grad plan for the next 5 weeks.

As for XC...it can wait, as can an IMRA run but I do intend to try both by the end of the year. :D

Week ending 11/2/18

Monday 5th: Just a 3.33 mile jog @ 9:56. I've been trying these active recoveries rather than rest days. Think I might need a proper rest day all the same.

Tuesday 6th More very easy miles...7.46 @ 10:04. A very gentle start to the week. A nondescript trot around the concrete jungle.

Wednesday 7th: A really enjoyable session. 10 mins/ 7 mins @ threshold followed by 3 mins @ CV with 2 mins jog recoveries. Targets were 7:03-7:13 for threshold and 6:45-6:54 for CV. Paces were 7:05, 7:01 and 6:44 which were pretty much bang on.

Thursday 8th: A nice easy 7.09 miles @ 9.33. Did a lap of the 5k Parkrun lap in Marlay and then ran down to St Endas park for a couple of laps. It's a lovely little park with a nice undulating lap. Pity it's not a bit longer.

Friday 9th: 6.24 miles @ 9:37. Felt a bit like a hamster on a wheel during this one. I'm not a huge fan of countless short laps. My local park is about .85 of a mile so it was a run to the park and 7 laps...

Saturday 10th: Ardgillan Parkrun. Changed the planned session to a Parkrun at HM pace. No scientific reason really, just felt like it. :pac: Forgot my barcode so had to turn back from the airport. No point in trying to complete the Dublin set if I wasn't scanned. As a result I got no real warm up. Great atmosphere as they were celebrating their 4th birthday. Stunning location in fairness. Attempts at an even pace was pointless as the start was so crowded, followed by a mile long charge down a hill! Then an up and down couple of laps followed by a near 1km climb to the finish. Trying to maintain pace on that was really tough. Cooldown involved a near mile long climb back to the carpark. Legs really felt heavy and tired on Saturday night. Not sure a TGIFriday and a few beers helped in any way. :D

Sunday 11th: 13.69 miles @ 9:13. Got to the PP at 8.20 for this. A bright but rather nippy morning ;) A few flakes of snow but nothing worth talking about. I stayed on the trails today to give the legs a rest. This run was the first one in ages that was a bit of a struggle. Paces were up and down, legs were feeling it on any drags and into the wind. Parts of the 15 acres were tough into the wind. I thought the skin was being removed from my cheekbones!

So I think my base building phase is done. I'll stick more rigidly to Testosterscone's HM plan until Bohermeen (ie. Stop adding miles to the plan) :pac: Bohermeen has served it's purpose already by giving me something to work towards and build up a base.

Miles for week: 51.2 Miles YTD: 282.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Another cracking week S, your set up for a serious run in Bohermeen! Just dont wear yourself out too close to it, take that well deserved REST day! Put the feet up instead of the shoes on ;)

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Another cracking week S, your set up for a serious run in Bohermeen! Just dont wear yourself out too close to it, take that well deserved REST day! Put the feet up instead of the shoes on ;)

I know...started to feel it the past couple of days. Definitely need to ease off over the next few weeks. I'll concentrate on the sessions and make all the other runs really easy.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I know...started to feel it the past couple of days. Definitely need to ease off over the next few weeks. I'll concentrate on the sessions and make all the other runs really easy.

Thats the way, the easy miles on rest days have done you a world of good to get to where u are fitness wise, but these next couple of weeks you really dont want to risk getting run down!

Thought I better throw this up here. Never know when I might to look back on it even if it was a bit of a step back week. It wasn't really a step back more so it involved me actually following the plan rather than adding miles and pace here and there :D

Monday 12th: 2.04 miles @ 9:46 Recovery Jog

Tuesday 13th: 60 mins very easy. 6.16 miles @ 9:44

Wednesday 14th: Session day. Plan was 16 X 90 secs @ threshold pace (7:03-7:13) off 30 secs. Found this one more manageable than I expected possibly as I kept the first few of them towards the slower end of the pace range. Paces were 7:11, 7:09, 7:09, 7:12, 7:10, 7:12, 7:13, 7:04, 7:09, 7:05, 7:06, 7:09, 7:07, 7:07, 6:56 and 6:46.
    A warmup around the ALSAA XC and a cooldown brought the miles up to 8.37 for the day.

Thursday 15th: Another 60 mins at very easy pace. 6.18 miles @ 9:42

Friday 16th: Rest Day :eek:

Saturday 17th: Session day. Plan had 4 X 12 mins at HMP off 2 mins 30 secs jogging. I changed it a bit as I wanted to do the first Tolka Valley Parkrun. I decided to do 2 of the 4 intervals and then into the Parkrun @ HMP after a 90 sec rest. They were all a bit faster than my planned HMP (7:20) and I certainly felt it. Actually couldn't imagine myself holding it for 13.1 miles so I might have a rethink. Paces for the two 12 mins were 7:13 and 7:18 and the 5k pace was 7:09. Nice course and enough has already been said about the droves who 'finished' without completing the distance. Teething problems no doubt.

Sunday 18th: Did the planned 1 hour 45 mins. 11.52 miles @ 9:07. I felt really good on this early morning run and knocked it out on a bright morning nice and early.

So that was the week that was. I felt better than last week and feel I needed to listen to the body and take it easy. It seems to have paid off as I have felt stronger this week. I'll get this weeks up tomorrow or Monday.....more as an exercise in discipline! :pac:

Miles for week: 44.0. Miles YTD: 326.3

A good weeks running and a good weeks reading on Boards. I thought the threads about training to train and AMKs log provided some great info. Delighted to see Swashbuckler run a great race today after the disappointment of his last race which he brilliantly brought to life in his race report. My favourite comment of the week was one of Murph D's (I'll paraphrase here) where he said that there should me as much enjoyment in performance, not just in taking part. For some reason it struck a chord with me. Anyway on to the weeks running.

Monday 19th: Continuing with the 20 minute recovery jogs on a Monday. 2 miles at a very gentle 10:23 per mile.

Tuesday 20th: Still sticking to the plan like a limpet. 60 mins very easy. 6.28 miles @ 9:33

Wednesday 21st: Session day. Plan said 6 * 4 mins at CV pace with 2 mins jog recovery. As this would have meant each interval would have been a bit shorter than 1k I changed it to 6 * 1k instead. I did them on the lap in front of Marlay House as the lap is as close as be damned to a km. I found it easier to be running to a point each lap rather than constantly looking at the watch to see how far I had left to go. The target range was 4:11 to 4:17 per km. I aimed at the faster end of this range. Splits were 4:10, 4:11, 4:10, 4:09, 4:06 and 4:06. With a warmup and cooldown the distance for the day came to 9.23

Thursday 22nd: Back down to Marlay for the prescribed 60 mins very easy. It was a bit faster than planned, not much though. It is becoming a recurring theme on the day after a session. It's not intentional and something I need to keep an eye on. 6.66 miles @ 9:24

Friday 23rd: My loop of the 3 local parks again. Tipped around the 6.68 miles @ a very easy 9:32 pace.

Saturday 24th: Very little sleep before this. Only finished my shift at 3am :( Once again on a Saturday I combined my session with a Parkrun. Plan was for 35 mins tempo which is 7:24-7:36 pace. I planned to do 12 mins before the Parkrun and meet it at the start line as it set off. Got my timings wrong so only had 10 done when AGYR and her team set us on our way. Being a bit anal I did the 2:13 that was left to complete straight after the Parkrun! :o 35 mins @ 7:23. Tough course in Cabinteely. Only Darndale left to do now to complete the Dublin set. Warmup and cooldown brought the miles to 8.92.

Sunday 25th: Was a bit worried about this LSR. My fault entirely as a day in the pub watching Ireland, Scotland and the SuperDubs while filling my gut with copious pints of Arthur isn't on the graduates plan. An 8.30 start on an absolutely beautiful morning in a sundrenched but cold Phoenix Park cleared the head rapidly! First few miles were a bit too fast as I found myself unconsciously speeding up whenever I heard one of the many club training groups approach me either from behind or running towards me! :pac: Isn't pride a terrible thing :) Settled down after that and then picked it up ever so slightly again at the end. Planned 2 hours was done and in that time I squeezed in 13.23 miles @ 9:04
    The Park seemed to be packed with runners. It was like everyone was getting a last run in before the Apocalypse aka The Beast from the East. It was as busy as an off licence on every Holy Thursday night pre 2018 :D

So next week is the penultimate of the grad HM plan and only has a 70 minute run next Sunday. I guess that means the taper starts from next weekend. Hopefully our weather has returned to normal by Bohermeen half and there won't be need for snow shoes.

Miles for week: 53.0. Miles YTD: 379.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great reading there S. I agree, there’s been some great stuff on Boards this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Fair play getting out on your long run after all the fun you had Saturday:D

Baby75 wrote: »
    Fair play getting out on your long run after all the fun you had Saturday:D

Yeah it was eventful! I'm better away from a phone when under the influence. Haha. A Utd win today made it a perfect weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done Sean. You've executed the plan flawlessly this far. I see a good result in Bohermeen and possibly more importantly i think you will have a great performance.

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done Sean. You've executed the plan flawlessly this far. I see a good result in Bohermeen and possibly more importantly i think you will have a great performance.

Something about the way you say that is giving me visions of you sitting at a table with a head scarf on surrounded by tarot cards! :pac:

Something about the way you say that is giving me visions of you sitting at a table with a head scarf on surrounded by tarot cards! :pac:

I shook the cobwebs off the head scarf especially for you S ;)

So a total waste of a week. Lowest miles by far since the week after DCM. I can only partially blame the snow as a couple of real life things got in the way too. Not great timing with Bohermeen on Sunday but it is what it is. We can only play the cards we're dealt. No matter, I'll still go PB hunting on Sunday. :D

Monday 26th:3.1 miles @ 9.40 around the local park. A gentle trot in lieu of a rest day.

Tuesday 27th:7.59 miles @ 9.31. Just some more very easy miles on a little loop that takes in 3 public parks in the area and allows for some running on grass.

Miles for week: 10.7 Miles YTD: 390

In other news I got my work roster for the rest of the year until November. 14 weekends off out of 32 so it'll narrow my race choices a bit. Of all the races in the Irish Runner and DCM series I will only be off for the two 10 mile races. This doesn't really bother me but if I really feel the urge to run any of the others I'll take the day off. Not convinced I will though as I would really like to run more small races and some BHAA events. I just think there's more of a community feel to races outside of the big mass participation events.

A quick glance at the calendar for the weekends I'm off throws up the Craughwell 10 mile, Donadea Castle 10k, Glen to Glen half in Glendalough, Waterford Viking and Achill HMs amongst others. It'd be nice to get out of Dublin for a few so I'll have to sit down and make a plan shortly. :)

Hope ye all enjoyed/ survived the snow. Happy running folks.

So a total waste of a week. Lowest miles by far since the week after DCM. I can only partially blame the snow as a couple of real life things got in the way too. Not great timing with Bohermeen on Sunday but it is what it is. We can only play the cards we're dealt. No matter, I'll still go PB hunting on Sunday. :D

Monday 26th:3.1 miles @ 9.40 around the local park. A gentle trot in lieu of a rest day.

Tuesday 27th:7.59 miles @ 9.31. Just some more very easy miles on a little loop that takes in 3 public parks in the area and allows for some running on grass.

Miles for week: 10.7 Miles YTD: 390

In other news I got my work roster for the rest of the year until November. 14 weekends off out of 32 so it'll narrow my race choices a bit. Of all the races in the Irish Runner and DCM series I will only be off for the two 10 mile races. This doesn't really bother me but if I really feel the urge to run any of the others I'll take the day off. Not convinced I will though as I would really like to run more small races and some BHAA events. I just think there's more of a community feel to races outside of the big mass participation events.

A quick glance at the calendar for the weekends I'm off throws up the Craughwell 10 mile, Donadea Castle 10k, Glen to Glen half in Glendalough, Waterford Viking and Achill HMs amongst others. It'd be nice to get out of Dublin for a few so I'll have to sit down and make a plan shortly. :)

Hope ye all enjoyed/ survived the snow. Happy running folks.

When is Achill on S?

Happy planning, you'll be in your element ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    When is Achill on S?

Happy planning, you'll be in your element ;)

It's the weekend of 7/8 July. Not sure which day as I just noted races by the weekends I was off. Yep I'll get down to planning after Sunday. The Glen to Glen has caught my eye too.

It's the weekend of 7/8 July. Not sure which day as I just noted races by the weekends I was off. Yep I'll get down to planning after Sunday. The Glen to Glen has caught my eye too.

There's a 10m in Roscommon that weekend also - July 7th which i seem to have jotted in my calendar! Decisions, decisions:D

The Waterford Viking Half is on my list, I ran the 10km last year and really enjoyed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Delighted to see Swashbuckler run a great race today after the disappointment of his last race which he brilliantly brought to life in his race report.

Just saw this. Very kind words. Thank you very much. Best of luck in Bohermeen! By the way, one of the best intros to a log I've read.

Just saw this. Very kind words. Thank you very much. Best of luck in Bohermeen! By the way, one of the best intros to a log I've read.

And thank you very much too. :)

Monday 5th: Plan has this as a rest day but in the light of last weeks dismal efforts I decided to do an easy hour. 6.81 miles at an even 9.00 mins per mile.

Tuesday 6th: Back to the plan both for this day and the rest of the week. The planned 45 minutes very easy got me 4.68 miles done at a nice sedate 9:37 pace.

Wednesday 7th: The last session of this most enjoyable plan. 6 X 1 min at Vo2 max off 2 mins jogging. Target pace was 6:13. Actual paces were 6:11, 6:06, 6:05, 6:09, 6:07, 6:09 so all reasonably well grouped. Job done! Warm up and cool down brought the mileage to 5.27

Thursday 8th: 45 very easy minutes again. 4.72 miles @ 9:31

Friday 9th: Rest

Saturday 10th: Plan completed. Loved every minute of it. 20 mins recovery pace which @ 9.31 pace got me 2.17 miles around the local park.

So tomorrow is Bohermeen day and I'm feeling a bit weird in a lethargic sort of way. The missed week might be the cause but I'm not feeling the way I did before any previous race. I seem also to have set my target for a HM for this year on this race for some reason. That target of 1:36:52 is my A target, anything better than my 1:40:47 PB is the B target. In line with my **** or bust attitude to races this year I will set off at 1:36 pace and see how it goes. No more intentional big negative splits :pac:

Best of luck to anyone racing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to some great race reports. Some of the race reports recently have been both inspiring and brilliantly written. Thanks to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    So tomorrow is Bohermeen day and I'm feeling a bit weird in a lethargic sort of way. The missed week might be the cause but I'm not feeling the way I did before any previous race. I seem also to have set my target for a HM for this year on this race for some reason. That target of 1:36:52 is my A target, anything better than my 1:40:47 PB is the B target. In line with my **** or bust attitude to races this year I will set off at 1:36 pace and see how it goes. No more intentional big negative splits

Best of luck. I must read back to see what plan you followed but I'm guessing it might be one of Testosterscones specials. Don't worry about the lethargy. It happens and usually means youre in for a belter of a race! Happened me before Barefield too.

Best of running.

Best of luck. I must read back to see what plan you followed but I'm guessing it might be one of Testosterscones specials. Don't worry about the lethargy. It happens and usually means youre in for a belter of a race! Happened me before Barefield too.

Best of running.

Haha...no ye are doing his specials. I've done his standard grads plan...an introduction to sessions and intervals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow Sean; I fully expect that you will surprise yourself on the day.

You have put a great block of training in since the turn of the year.....don't let last week put any doubts in your mind. Stay positive and commit to your plan.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow!
    You have trained hard now reap the rewards, A target all the way.

Good luck tomorrow and remember '' What the mind believes the body achieves'' so go get that PB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Feeling lethargic during the taper is perfectly normal skyblue, legs muscles start packing in extra fuel, muscles repairing themselves etc. I've often even felt terrible on the warm-up for the race and ran a blinder. It's some messed up voodoo stuff but something you'll learn to become accustomed to and learn to trust over time. It doesn't mean anything in regard to how fit you are and you won't have lost anything from that time off last week. Plenty to be confident about with the training and results you've posted over the last while. You're in a great position; all the best and have a gud un:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Go for it Sean. Best of luck on your round.

• Advertisement

Sean, very best of luck tomorrow. The training has been absolutely brilliant, and I love the new approach u have to racing, you should have done it a long time ago to give yourself the credit you deserve! Give it socks pal.

Advertisement