Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Not me .. I have two daughters , both grown , one in Vancouver who I just spoke about earlier in this thread (resilient Canadians!) one in London . I live alone . No reason to tell lies about that .

Ahhhhhh ok, it's hypothetical children you're sending off to school.

Apologies, my mistake.

You should look at the twitter thread about how those resilient Canadians spend $15million each time it snows to keep the streets of Montreal open. It's quite surprising the amount of money/effort it takes for that level of resilience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

65 million people and a few dozen got stuck?

Big deal - they didn't shut the Country down and fair dues to them. Kept the public transport running, kept the schools open.

We could take a leaf from their book and show a bit more backbone rather than the overbearing nannying from our Government.

I take it you didn't watch the news this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

65 million people and a few dozen got stuck?

Big deal - they didn't shut the Country down and fair dues to them. Kept the public transport running, kept the schools open.

We could take a leaf from their book and show a bit more backbone rather than the overbearing nannying from our Government.

Absolute geniuses alright. Sorry I would prefer my home to a car thank you very much!

Not really sure what the kids would be covering on that particular day that could not wait till Monday.

I reckon most people would consider 1000 cars stuck yo involve more than a few dozen people! You must have a very generous definition of few.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/01/hundreds-motorists-stuck-m80-12-hours-do-not-travel-warnings/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

laugh wrote: »
    10 people are dead over there, as in; no longer alive.

5 people on average die on the roads in the UK every day.

Every day.

As in, they're no longer alive.

Perhaps they should shut the entire country down everyday to prevent this - what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Strawman argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Christy42 wrote: »
    And if it is wrong and hits earlier than expected? Seems easier to give a general warning for the country and not have people wondering about the exact second a storm will hit.

Disagree ...Maybe for an orange warning but not for red .... In all their communication ME said the blizzard would hit my location (Kerry) around midnight yesterday evening, at that time the red warning was out for more then 24 hours ... what happened was 2 cm of snow and NO blizzard

I said it many times that a red warning has consequences for people and should not be given lightly ... This was so much OTT for many areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

In 2010 and I dug my car out every morning and drove to work. The roads were crap, the traffic was crap, the fact the snow wouldn't **** off was crap, cars got stuck, cars broke down, it was a pain in the hole. And we all used our judgement, assessed our personal circumstances and got on with it.

That isn't distant memory you know, it really happened.

Anyway, like I said, you cannot have an opinion on this matter because certain people in here are really, really invested in this whole event. But I do believe that in weeks to come people will realise that they didn't need to be stuck indoors all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and that it will have ramifications both on what the authorities decide next time and on what the population listen to from the authorities next time.

Do these people in Maynooth should "Man Up" and start digging to get to work in the big smoke?
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Maynooth

3_C93_B1_F8_13_A4_4_C5_C_8_C10_581_A537_A6_CA2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its not at all

Think of the people from Kildare who work in Dublin.

Are these people supposed to jump in the car and be off to work like its been done for 100s of years as mentioned above

You really don't get it do you. Put up as many pictures of snowed in lanes as you want, all you are doing is putting up pictures of the worst affected people. Are there people who are snowed in and cannot access main roads? Of course there are.

There are also millions of people who could easily have cleared a few cm's of snow and went about their day. I won't put up pictures of them because the point is rather self evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

5 people on average die on the roads in the UK every day.

Every day.

As in, they're no longer alive.

Perhaps they should shut the entire country down everyday to prevent this - what do you think?

They are dead as a direct result of these weather conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

• Advertisement

Do these people in Maynooth should "Man Up" and start digging to get to work in the big smoke?

Sure it's just a bit of snow, grab the shovel and pack a lunch for the children before the school run. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't think anyone is suggesting people risk their life to get to work, but for me anyway the problem was extending the red warning country wide at 11.00 pm wed night.
    It was not a case that the forecast was wrong which I could accept, it was that the forecast was spot on but they went ahead and put the whole country under red alert, and this was the day before storm Emma was due

Graham wrote: »
    Sure it's just a bit of snow, grab the shovel and pack a lunch for the children before the school run. :D

No no, that lane in Maynooth is snowed under, so nobody is going to school. Red alert people, a lane in Maynooth is snowed under, this is not a drill!!!

Can you really not see how this might affect reactions to Red alerts long term? Can people really not see the bigger picture or will it just be more pictures of snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

You really don't get it do you. Put up as many pictures of snowed in lanes as you want, all you are doing is putting up pictures of the worst affected people. Are there people who are snowed in and cannot access main roads? Of course there are.

There are also millions of people who could easily have cleared a few cm's of snow and went about their day. I won't put up pictures of them because the point is rather self evident.

People have said in the main forum that the have 2cm of snow outside there house.

2km away the roads are covered in 2 feet of snow.

You need to take off your blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You really think that ?
    You see that’s what we have a brain and common sense for.

In 1982 I didn’t have kids but we all turned into work , work closed and we all got home eventually and have memories to this day about that !
    I’m 2010 I we did have have anything like the level of social media we have now and it was a much colder and more prolonged event .
    Obviously I didn’t send my kids to school then , nobody did , we looked out the window and used our brains . Rang the school , no answer but eventually an email arrived a day later from them. No wall to wall coverage, no 24/7 updates, no Red Alerts . And nobody died .

So in 82, 100,000's made trips to work places that closed resulting in people having to walk home in the snow. In 2018 we decided it was wise not to make same trips and many worked from home.

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is suggesting people risk their life to get to work, but for me anyway the problem was extending the red warning country wide at 11.00 pm wed night.
    It was not a case that the forecast was wrong which I could accept, it was that the forecast was spot on but they went ahead and put the whole country under red alert, and this was the day before storm Emma was due

What counties would you have specifically left out?

You need to take off your blinkers.

As I said, you cannot have this debate in this forum. Maybe in a few weeks people will be less invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Well good for you ! I live alone . Many of us have been isolated without anyone for these last few days , no family or friends around at all, nobody will go decide to come over for a few drinks and the craic in this weather ! We don’t all live on streets or in towns .
    It’s not an enjoyable experience for many people , it’s totally isolating .

I’m ok cos I am fit and able to walk and get outside .. I did yesterday and I’m heading out again now , but it’s still lonely. And curfews and red alerts that close an entire country down rather than regions only make that harder as everyone operates from place of fear.

Hold on, before this you were saying we were a weak generation because we won't just "get on with it" and go to school and be on the roads but now you're saying sure no ones gonna walk in this weather for a bit of fun? I'm not really sure what your point and stance here is on all fronts. I'm sorry you feel isolated, but there is always a solution. And trust me, if my town is an indicator of anything people will almost definitely have a few drinks and the craic in this weather.

As I said, you cannot have this debate in this forum. Maybe in a few weeks people will be less invested.

Invested in what?

What is this conspiracy you keep alluding to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

weisses wrote: »
    Snow and grit helps with getting rid of the snow and Ice more easily and effectively ....Something they know on the continent for decades .... Hence this being a typical Irish solution

And you do know routes where schools tend to be are used by other motorists as well right ?

Not in a red warning they aren't because, yunno, its dangerous?

Its not a typical Irish solution, because its not typical Irish weather.

Few have snow tires, or chains or experience in driving in heavy, drifting snow.

We have limited resources to deal with extreme snow because its extreme, its a waste of money to have the same snow resources as countries that have regular weather like this.

I really dont get how this is news for you tbh. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Except in Kerry there was no Storm Emma and blizzard conditions (not that I am aware of) 3 cm of snow in dead calm conditions ..

So the forecast for my area was wrong and so was the red warning which is lasting over 36 hours at this stage

They are dead as a direct result of these weather conditions.

I'm afraid you can't use UK road deaths to justify the blanket red-warning given for the entire country of Ireland. It was a pretty normal day in terms of road deaths in the UK and if you're proposing that countries should shut down every time there's a possibility of road fatalities occurring - society as you currently know and enjoy it, would cease to exist.

The UK kept the trains and buses running and the schools open.

We have hundred of schools closed in areas that are completely unaffected. Govt Depts closed. Parents having to take days off work. Millions lost to the economy, just because some numpty decided he'd better be safe than sorry with the red warnings.

It's a damming indictment of our country and I for one am ashamed and embarrassed when comparing ourselves to our nearest neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Donegal, Sligo, Mayo. There may have been snow showers in places but that does not merit red warnings. I have had plenty of snow showers this year so far. Nearly all the schools in letterkenny were closed due to snow on mon 12th feb, but red warning not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think a red warning should be used in extreme conditions but in this case it was not warranted for the whole country.

Very easy to say after the fact.

Forecasting is not a precise science, weather fronts move and change direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Kerry

CE877615_91_E9_4_C76_BCA1_4_BBD726_BF36_E.jpg

I'm afraid you can't use UK road deaths to justify the blanket red-warning given for the entire country of Ireland. It was a pretty normal day in terms of road deaths in the UK and if you're proposing that countries should shut down every time there's a possibility of road fatalities occurring - society as you currently know and enjoy it, would cease to exist.

The UK kept the trains and buses running and the schools open.

We have hundred of schools closed in areas that are completely unaffected. Govt Depts closed. Parents having to take days off work. Millions lost to the economy, just because some numpty decided he'd better be safe than sorry with the red warnings.

It's a damming indictment of our country and I for one am ashamed and embarrassed when comparing ourselves to our nearest neighbour.

Ah well I'm happy with the actions of met here and the government.

Haven't heard of any deaths on the roads here over the last 3 days.

Haven't heard of any deaths on the roads here over the last 3 days.

Yes, perhaps we should never leave our homes again just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Donegal, Sligo, Mayo. There may have been snow showers in places but that does not merit red warnings. I have had plenty of snow showers this year so far. Nearly all the schools in letterkenny were closed due to snow on mon 12th feb, but red warning not needed.

Possibly they could have excluded Donegal, Sligo & Mayo, but considering how the system was moving and changing every couple of hours, there was a possibility that these areas were going to be affected.

So for the sake of one day and to err on the cautious side, it was probably best to include Donegal, Sligo & Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Well good for you ! I live alone . Many of us have been isolated without anyone for these last few days , no family or friends around at all, nobody will go decide to come over for a few drinks and the craic in this weather ! We don’t all live on streets or in towns .
    It’s not an enjoyable experience for many people , it’s totally isolating .

I’m ok cos I am fit and able to walk and get outside .. I did yesterday and I’m heading out again now , but it’s still lonely. And curfews and red alerts that close an entire country down rather than regions only make that harder as everyone operates from place of fear.

The blight of one off housing strikes again. But that's for an other thread.

Advertisement