Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

You do know how weather systems work don't you ?

Just because its suppose to go somewhere doesn't mean it will , the track can make changes without warning , we a small enough Island in the middle of the ocean making forecasting even more complex .

Its not an exact science but they try the best they can from current guidance , the system was supposed to be a lot quicker moving up over Ireland but now its moving quite slow , what the reason for this ?

Well I would think its hit the cold block and thats not allowing it to come steaming through.

The main problem for regular posters on this forum when an event happens is people who pop in for the event expect because Met Eireann said it will be somewhere at a certain time don't have enough of an understanding how weather works .

Its far from an exact science when so many parameters can come into play

An all Ireland red alert at 11pm last night was an over reaction. Even the most level headed analyst can see that.
    Nobody is against safe behavior - but it should be in proportion.

Keep safe everyone for the night ahead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Zeek12 wrote: »
    An all Ireland red alert at 11pm last night was an over reaction. Even the most level headed analyst can see that.
    Nobody is against safe behavior - but it should be in proportion.

Keep safe everyone for the night ahead

We were talking about Limerick but the post got moved so looks off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I posted in one thread, but it appeared in another.

That's what I call drifting :)

Ha! Understood - But still the point is the same.
    This nationwide warning was issued about 20 hours too early.

We’ve become a bit silly with these warnings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Valid point being made there on prime time ,

Guy from the council saying schools being out has saved so much Salt / Grit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

a few snowflakes (pun intended) fall in Dublin and you could be forgiven for thinking the end is nigh.
    God help us if they ever encounter a real disaster.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not going to quote a post, the thread is too fast moving to make it appropriate.

We live in Ashbourne, South East Meath, and I have been very happy today to be able to stay indoors and watch the snow fall all day, and even happier that I didn't have to venture out on to the roads. I was out yesterday for a while, I was confident that I could drive safely in the conditions, I did a lot of driving in the UK and USA in snow, so it's not a new experience, and that was what happened.

Having said that, in a couple of places, the vehicle I was driving twitched some, despite the fact that I was driving as if I had a wine glass strapped to the bottom of my shoe, and I didn't want to break it. I was driving on minor roads, which have deep ditches on either side that are very full of water right now, so going off the road into a ditch would have been a big issue.

I'd seen before I left the town that things were not ideal, a moron in a BMW 535 was fishtailing all over the place in relatively benign conditions, hopefully, he will have seen the error of his ways before he hit someone else, but I doubt it, unfortunately.

Once out of town, the road conditions changed, there was no worn snow with tracks down to the tarmac, the minor roads were completely covered, so that meant switching to 4WD, which made things a lot more stable, and that's with All Terrain tyres fitted that are snow rated, so the grip etc was about as good as it was going to get, and even then, it was twitchy, so care was needed.

Then there were the wind gusts that blew up a cloud of powder snow. When that happened, 3 times in the space of less than a mile, there was no option other than to stop until it cleared, as it was impossible to see the road, or the road margins.

That was yesterday morning, since then, we've had another night of snow, and it's been snowing all day here, which has at least doubled the snow on the ground, and that's before Emma arrives,and I am very happy that I didn't need to go out today, and even more happy that my wife, who is my daughter's child care, didn't have to take her Fiat Seicento out on to roads that would have been risky for a car of that size and weight, in order for my daughter to get to her work in Drogheda.

Overnight, we're due to get even more, and if we get the sort of snow that Prime Time are talking about, I won't even be able to get my vehicle out of the drive, or out of our estate, as there will be no way to get up on top of the snow cover if it's as deep as they are suggesting.

Red for this area today was not over the top, if the normal traffic had been out and about today, there would have been a massive number of accidents, simply because too many people don't have the beginnings of a clue how to drive on snow. I can remember similar significant snow in Dublin in the late 80's, and the number of accidents as a result was only incredible, and there are way more vehicles on the roads now than there were then, and driving standards have not improved in the intervening period, and way too many people are just too impatient for the conditions that are happening with this weather. I saw the results of the 2010 snow, I was out in it every day doing deliveries, and the number of accidents that happened in that snow was unreal, because people would not drive appropriately, and I've seen nothing to indicate that anything has changed for too many people.

Saturday could be interesting!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Could always turn on BBC news 24 to see how lower warnings/ people ignoring them is working out in the UK...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Could always turn on BBC news 24 to see how lower warnings/ people ignoring them is working out in the UK...

There's a lot of people stranded on motorways over in the UK that now need rescuing. Certainly not ideal.

There's controversy brewing regarding why people weren't told to stay indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's a lot of people stranded on motorways over in the UK that now need rescuing. Certainly not ideal.

There's controversy brewing regarding why people weren't told to stay indoors.
    They just interviewed people live, stuck from their evening commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

This thread has gone quiet.
    Must have started snowing in every posters back garden after all

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    My wife's office in Limerick was told to shut at 2.30pm yesterday (Wednesday).

There was no snow on Wednesday afternoon or evening.

A small amount of snowfall overnight (maybe 1cm). Today (Thursday) has been bone dry.

Effectively 1.5 days office closure in Limerick for almost zero snowfall.

Excessive.

Agree almost entirely. Only a very small amount of snowfall in Shannon early today, but we were put into shutdown mode.

The Nationwide Thursday warning was plain wrong today.
    By all means keep people safe on Friday if need be.

These warning systems should be implemented on a regional basis. It needs to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »

Orange warning issued for all counties outside Leinster and Munster (except Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Orange warning issued for all counties outside Leinster and Munster (except Galway)

I know I was being sarcastic
    Just look at the post above
    Another new weather expert who knows better than the meteorologists.
    After hours must be a very diverse and knowledgeable forum ....

I know I was being sarcastic
    Just look at the post above
    Another new weather expert who knows better than the meteorologists.
    After hours must be a very diverse and knowledgeable forum ....

Nope, it isn't snowing everywhere

So what's your point as regards weather experts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Multiple deaths and hundreds stranded in their cars tonight in the UK where a more cautious approach was taken under similar conditions.

I applaud Met E & the governments approach. No doubt it has saved lives and been a significant relief for emergency services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The South West of the UK was put under Red status late yesterday There are now reports that "major incidents" are under way in the Avon and Somerset area, with over 100 vehicles trapped on a section of the A303 at Ilminster, and there are also reports of problems on the A303 in Wiltshire, where vehicles are trapped on a section where there are significant hills, which has resulted in blockages, and people trapped in vehicles. I know the area well, I used to live in that part of the world, and this storm system has caused massive problems over a wide area, which has significantly stretched the emergency services.

The clear RED warnings here to get off the roads have hopefully meant that emergency services here are not being stretched to deal with similar incidents here, for which we should be very grateful.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m not being a troll but at the moment where I am anyway does not warrant a red alert...sigh. We didn’t get any major snow at all yesterday or during the night, even paschal sheehy was trying to make it sound worse than it is on the radio just now lol. It seems mainly the east coast got the bulk. I thought this was going to be epic. Oh well :-( Now I’m reading reports of rain, Aaaargh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Patww79 wrote: »
    Would be very difficult to do warnings by small area. Safest way is to do them by larger.

Yeah I get that but it’s still frustrating to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Basically : be careful - but get back to work.

Which is what it should have been all along. People giving up personal responsibility isn't acceptable - just be careful and get on with things and use your common sense - if that means you're snowed in then that's fine, the rest of us can be out and about and can help you out if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Blud wrote: »
    Which is what it should have been all along. People giving up personal responsibility isn't acceptable - just be careful and get on with things and use your common sense - if that means you're snowed in then that's fine, the rest of us can be out and about and can help you out if necessary.

That's the attitude that was taken in many parts of the Uk, where 9 people are dead, I watched a political panel show on the BBC last night where they openly mocked weather warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

leahyl wrote: »
    I’m not being a troll but at the moment where I am anyway does not warrant a red alert...sigh.

Tell that to the lad in Cork who fell and broke his neck yesterday before the 4pm curfew ...

My best friend in Ireland (known him since primary school) is one of the worst drivers I know and he's (still) going on about how this has all been hyped up. If his employer hadn't shut the place down, I'm sure he'd be another one of those determined to go out for no good reason other than pure stubbornness to prove the authorities wrong, and ended up stuck in a ditch or wrapped around a bollard.

I'm no fan of the Nanny State, but there seems to be an increasing amount of stupidity on show in recent years when it comes to weather.

laugh wrote: »
    That's the attitude that was taken in many parts of the Uk, where 9 people are dead, I watched a political panel show on the BBC last night where they openly mocked weather warnings.

And there's huge areas of the UK unaffected too. People no longer able to think for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

And there's huge areas of the UK unaffected too. People no longer able to think for themselves.

You do understand that these are advisories, not law. No one is being forced to stay indoors. This is just an effort to limit the amount of harm that may happen. They are not monsters, they are acting in your best interest and not limiting your freedom in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

There was an advisory to stay in doors, if you want to go out then by all means do so, it's not a legal requirement for you to follow the advice. Conditions are extremely dangerous in a number of parts of the country.

Predicting weather isn't perfect and Met Eireann did a fine job till this point and the experts here by and large made the same calls

F-Stop wrote: »
    You do understand that these are advisories, not law. No one is being forced to stay indoors. This is just an effort to limit the amount of harm that may happen. They are not monsters, they are acting in your best interest and not limiting your freedom in any way.

You do understand that the country has essentially shut down?

The independent is reporting a €160m cost to the economy. That stuff matters to some of us.

I was fully in agreement with everything ME did during Ophelia, but Jesus, this is being reported as most of the country having very little and those that got heavy snow it's 15cm or less (ignoring idiots basing their measurement on the drift in the corner of the garden). And it's closed the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

The independent is reporting a €160m cost to the economy. That stuff matters to some of us.

I was fully in agreement with everything ME did during Ophelia, but Jesus, this is being reported as most of the country having very little and those that got heavy snow it's 15cm or less (ignoring idiots basing their measurement on the drift in the corner of the garden). And it's closed the country!

Roads are so dangerous to drive on, why would you want people to risk lives for a few greasy euros....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oh for the love of god just stop complaining. Why do you care what it has cost the economy? Ye can all go back to complaining and moaning about everything in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Unless you lost €160m, I’m not sure why it should matter to you

That’s before the fact you’ll never see any critical analysis of how ‘the economy’ losses anything. Most economists will tell you that overall, the same amount of money is spent. It just goes to different people, and maybe at different times

Advertisement