Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

kod87 wrote: »
    Is she actually a meteorologist? I don't usually watch RTE weather forecast so I'm not sure who's who.

I presume so, Met Eireann..

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Big upgrade for munster on latest GFS. It has the highest widespread depths.

06z and 12z for comparison

Delighted to see this, in mid cork & still only have a dusting....the snow sledge has yet to be used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

demakinz wrote: »
    Is this snow accumulated from just Emma or does that include the snow dumped by the streamers also?

It’s on top of what you have so if you’ve a foot and a half already you could have 3 feet by the end of Emma
    Quite Boston!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

I just they should probably have a look at the system in place with regards to the weather warnings for the future. The likes of limerick could easily function today, with regards to schools and businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Slydice wrote: »
    The rainfall radar linked in the other thread url]http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/realtime-rainradar[/url
    has me thinking we haven't seen the start of Emma yet. Is that it down in Cornwall right now?

Conwall Live cam

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/StIves4.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Just a quick thanks to some on here it's been a real education the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

I'm in Lismore in West Waterford and apart from a few flurries we havent had much. Yet if you drive 20 mins in any direction it's like a winter wonderland.
    I'm slightly miffed. Please warm my heart and tell me we are in for a few inches at least.
    And thanks for all the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I just they should probably have a look at the system in place with regards to the weather warnings for the future. The likes of limerick could easily function today, with regards to schools and businesses.

No, you should have a look at how you interpret the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My local TD posted an hour ago.

The time has now come, please make your way home to your safe space and stay indoors, stay warm, stay together.

Jesus!! Are we under attack?? I’m actually starting to get excited that maybe the house is about to be buried under snow after all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

BarryD2 wrote: »
    True, to wilfully put yourself in harm’s way because “Shur, we can be rescued” is the height of ignorance and selfishness. But there's a very grey and movable line between these scenarios. The ONLY people who can make a judgement as to what they are doing is safe or not, are the individuals involved. That's the only way these things can work. It is not wise to try to go down a road where the 'authorities' tell people what they can and cannot do.

In light of your above post here, I find it funny that you had no problem saying I was “wrong-thinking”. The concept of “right-thinking” and “wrong-thinking” is a hallmark of authoritarianism. ;)
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    No. This is wrong thinking. The emergency services, whether land or water based, do not exist as an end in themselves. I know people involved in mountain rescue etc and they generally would never think to dictate what experienced people should do and not do. They might give warnings to the general public at large but it is NOT their role to prescribe what the public should do.

Of course, we all have a civic responsibility to look after ourselves. But in the event of an emergency, emergency services can be called upon. That's why they were set up. The idea though that people should not do this or that because it may inconvenience or possibly endanger emergency services, is quite false. Emergency services are there to serve the needs of the public, not the other way around.

Re the muppets and getting stuck on Sally Gap, they should have been encouraged to walk down. That'd soon learn them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Nanny state gone mad, politicians will pay dearly for this especially Leo and Ross if they’ve got this wrong, not doubting some areas we’ll be covered but telling everyone to be indoors by 4 and not to come out until 3 tomorrow seems like utter madness right now.
    Hopefully my barkeep isn’t as soft as these pair, heading for a pint around 5ish.

Barkeep? Are you stuck in a Spaghetti Western???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Try_harder wrote: »
    Barkeep? Are you stuck in a Spaghetti Western???

I’ll be stuck infront of a pint in a few hours, thankfully the local didn’t get Leo’s memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I defied Leo & just drove back from work in Galway - an hour after curfew & well after children would be back from school. Bit windy - but it's Galway, a few snow flurries - it's winter & perfect roads with no traffic whatsoever.

I can see my hand clearly & didn't even need my wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

It's quite remarkable then amount of posts which go like "Well there is nothing in my area to warrant closing down the country therefore it was wrong to issue these dire warnings". Unfortunately personalised or localised warnings don't happen. The NEC and ME have to assess the risk in the overall context and issue warnings related to the upcoming risk as they see it. I heard the same sort of thing after the Ophelia event. Well tell it to the families of those 3 poor people who died. Or better yet tell it to the families of possibly lots more who didn't die because the warnings were issued and they stayed indoors. Is it really that hard to keep the kids at home for a couple of days?

Gremlin wrote: »
    It's quite remarkable then amount of posts which go like "Well there is nothing in my area to warrant closing down the country therefore it was wrong to issue these dire warnings". Unfortunately personalised or localised warnings don't happen. The NEC and ME have to assess the risk in the overall context and issue warnings related to the upcoming risk as they see it. I heard the same sort of thing after the Ophelia event. Well tell it to the families of those 3 poor people who died. Or better yet tell it to the families of possibly lots more who didn't die because the warnings were issued and they stayed indoors. Is it really that hard to keep the kids at home for a couple of days?

Ophelia was well called & totally justified. But warnings need to be realistic otherwise people won't believe them. ME said that the target time was from 4pm but they issued an all day Red.

Keeping kids at home costs a fortune. People have to take time off often unpaid at very short notice. Then there is the cost to industry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gremlin wrote: »

You can’t start blaming the 3 dead people, all random accidents can happen any day and do. Might as well tell everyone to stay in all day every day.

The warnings are OTT, stay indoors. Stay indoors if it looks unsafe outside otherwise carry on.
    It’s amazing how the barmen can get to work and no one else can besides the brave souls in the off-licence and petrol stations.

I’m still waiting for something to happen, the last 2 days have been a lot worse, today was the best day on the roads, nice and dry with no slush. I had to do a good bit of driving today and as the snowflakes couldn’t go to work had to bring the kids.

There’s a lot of places should be yellow and cordinated at a local level, once you put out a national red warning everywhere has to close regardless.

Snow is picking up now though so let’s see if they called it right for everyone.

Hirlam - which many consider to be one the most consistent models for this spell of weather is still predicting a "fresh Breeze" & less than a mm of snow per hour for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Discodog wrote: »
    Ophelia was well called & totally justified. But warnings need to be realistic otherwise people won't believe them. ME said that the target time was from 4pm but they issued an all day Red.

Keeping kids at home costs a fortune. People have to take time off often unpaid at very short notice. Then there is the cost to industry etc.

Myself and the oh run our own business, I've had to stay home the past few days to mind the older kids and haven't been able to get any work done. The oh had to stop today at 1 today for the weekend as the premises where his workshop is has closed.
    We have had 3cm of snow here and I reckon it's cost us €1500 in lost time and orders that I should've been pricing this week.
    I suppose the bank will take a printout of the red weather alert instead of cash this month???:pac::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Discodog wrote: »

Money Money Money.

I have never seen the local kids as happy as I did today. We haven't had decent snow here since they were babies or not even born. It was magical.

Priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Red warning for today for the West and North West has been farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

doylefe wrote: »
    Red warning for today for the West and North West has been farcical.

I live in the West
    The roads have been impassable since last night
    We have had a lot of snow
    The most since I moved in here a decade ago

Maybe in your part of the West you haven’t .
    Maybe they should issue warnings by Postcode to suit everyone

Money Money Money.

I have never seen the local kids as happy as I did today. We haven't had decent snow here since they were babies or not even born. It was magical.

Priceless.

Great as long as it isn't your money. Plus the snow has been there every evening & lunchtime.

My friend teaches kindergarden kids in Finland. They took them to a frozen lake for a walk - minus 13.

km79 wrote: »
    I live in the West

You must be well to the East of the West :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

km79 wrote: »
    I live in the West

The red warning has nothing to do with last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I suppose, maybe in their defence, they have to speak to us all like we are gobdaws because of the few gobdaws in our society that would pass no heed to an orange warning say. If they spoke to us all like normal people, maybe all the gobdaws would end up injuring or killing themselves and others.

Yep, it's called 'natural selection' and what contributes to the development of the species. 'Gobdaws' by right should suffer the consequences of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Money Money Money.

Priceless.

Very easy for you to say when you don't have to bear the brunt of losing money for no reason. My kids would've had plenty of time to play in the snow after school before it got dark. As it is we got 3cms at most and most of that melted so it wasn't that 'magical'for them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

The red warning has nothing to do with last night.

The red warning was issued at 11pm
    There was a lot of overNIGHT snow which made the roads impassable this morning ??????
    So yes i would say it did

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭glaswegian

definately the end is coming according to the tv three news,never seen such over exagerated over dramatic broadcast,i appreciate it will be rough in some areas, but to listen to the likes of Derek Ohartigan and the rest it's armagedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

These warnings need to be more nuanced. The whole stay indoors from 4pm was not warranted. You have the LUAS going off at 2pm in Dublin when there is no reason that it could not have operated for another 6 hours. Sure a flight to Boston left at 16:20. There is some wind, but no more than you get on a dozen days of the year.

Perhaps conditions are bad at Rosslare at 4pm, but this is not true for most of the island.

If you cry wolf, you devalue the warning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Shadylou wrote: »
    Very easy for you to say when you don't have to bear the brunt of losing money for no reason.

The school is not your childcare. The fact that you get to use it as such most of the time is a bonus but it's not always going to work out. This week it didn't.

Advertisement