Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thierry14 wrote: »
    Nice

Finally a proper reasonably priced, one household EV to land here at last

450km/200bhp is all the car I need

Hyundai 5 year unlimited mileage warranty probably stands here too, they make good reliable cars

I will buy this over model 3 if its priced around 30-35k

Makes alot of financial sense tbh with Hyundais excellent warranty and the huge 64kWh battery pack meaning I don't need an Ice any more

Buy for 35k, keep for 5 years, sell for 10k or so ( might be worth even more)

5k a year running costs as fuel, tax etc is negligible

Impressed

Finally we agree on something:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I would be keen on the 39.2 kWh version if it's under 30k - has to be, given Leaf 2 is priced in that region. Although still no confirmation when it will be available to buy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

positron wrote: »
    I would be keen on the 39.2 kWh version if it's under 30k - has to be, given Leaf 2 is priced in that region. Although still no confirmation when it will be available to buy etc.

I would hope the Ioniq gets that battery too

With its crazy efficiency, its a long range EV with that battery

Its due an upgrade announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It's about the time we are getting an EV crossover in the market. Will make a great vehicle for small families and DINKs and performance figures sound great. CCS charging will mean future proofing it too. As the 150ish PS LEAF can do 6.9 0-60 the 204 PS Kona will absolutely fly. Funny to think that this vehicle will have as much horsepower as 80's Sierra Cosworth for example. Those cars were just over 6 second cars 0-60 (although the top speed was much higher).

Knowing that this is Ireland the insurance companies will probably classify this as a hot hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Leaf II
    A: Overall length: 4,490MM
    B: Wheelbase: 2,700MM
    C: Overall width: 1,788MM
    D: Overall height: 1,540MM
    Shoulder room: ??
    Boot: 435

New Micra
    Overall length: 3,995 MM
    Wheelbase: 2,525 MM
    Overall width: 1,743 MM
    Overall height: 1,452 MM
    Shoulder: 1340mm
    Boot: 300

Kona EV
    Overall length: 4,180
    Wheelbase: 2,600
    Overall width: 1,800
    Overall height: 1,570
    Shoulder room: 1380
    Boot (VDA): 332

VW Golf
    Length: 4258
    Wheelbase: 2620
    Width: 1790
    Height: 1492
    Interior width: 1440
    Boot (VDA measuring): 380

The Kona is shorter, less boot space and less room across the back seat than a Leaf and a Golf.

Its more like a slightly larger SUV Micra than a Leaf.

If that suits you, then potentially a great car, pending price and availability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

samih wrote: »
    It's about the time we are getting an EV crossover in the market. Will make a great vehicle for small families and DINKs and performance figures sound great. CCS charging will mean future proofing it too. As the 150ish PS LEAF can do 6.9 0-60 the 204 PS Kona will absolutely fly. Funny to think that this vehicle will have as much horsepower as 80's Sierra Cosworth for example. Those cars were just over 6 second cars 0-60 (although the top speed was much higher).

Knowing that this is Ireland the insurance companies will probably classify this as a hot hatch.

Thats what I love the most of about our electric future

That Kona will pull like a WRX on the open road

300lb/ft all the time, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Didn't realise how small the Kona is, was behind a Seat Ateca today and it looked very tall and narrow, the Kona is only 2cm wider.

Presume the petrol/diesel Kona has the same exterior and interior dimensions as the EV version? Might swing by a dealer to check out the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

rocky wrote: »
    Didn't realise how small the Kona is, was behind a Seat Ateca today and it looked very tall and narrow, the Kona is only 2cm wider.

I came across this short preview video (in Dutch but you get the gist) of the EV. Not much room in the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nice looking car.

Interesting to see the battery reading 97% and the range being 486kms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

rocky wrote: »

Presume the petrol/diesel Kona has the same exterior and interior dimensions as the EV version? Might swing by a dealer to check out the size.

That’s the arona you are comparing it to. Ateca is 4cm wider and 20cm longer it's in next class up. Higher powered version is definitely in the running for our first electric. Little smaller than I’d like but it will do 90% of the time and we’ll still have one bigger car when we need the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Have people seen this one? Only published today apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Really not liking the "minority report" style marketing. Would turn me off in fact. Was under the impression this would be the first decent sized EV. Looks absolutely tiny to me. Back looks shocking for legroom and shoulder room.

I want to know:

Can you fit kids in back without breaking back?
    Can you fit buggies, prams, shopping in boot? In fact even show the boot
    Can you tow a caravan and how does it affect range?

Frankly looks a bit s**t to me

Would not swap for Berlingo Multispace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

jodaw wrote:
    Can you fit kids in back without breaking back? Can you fit buggies, prams, shopping in boot? In fact even show the boot Can you tow a caravan and how does it affect range?

You could always just go into a dealership and look at an ICE one to answer most of your questions.....
    Regarding towing a caravan, I don't think ev's are really designed for your use type, but I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you looked at the last few pages, you'd have noticed its size being compared to the Micra and Golf. Just to give you an idea of the car. If it doesn't suit you, stick with your ICE and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I would imagine we are a long way off a true family sized EV, given that the current arms race with regards to range mean sloping rear ends and small boots.

I mean a nice seven seat MPV would be great but a proper MPV with 64kwh battery might only give 200 mile real range.

Looks like EV is a long way off for me. Although i think i would prefer the new leaf to this. Hate faux SUV's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Is no one else thinking this is a bad thing for all other EV owners in Ireland with the current amount of public chargers? Imagine arriving to the DC fast charger with one of those ahead of you? :eek:
    Do we actually have any 100kW chargers around for that 54min charge they say?

Jodaw, the car you are looking for is not far away, but no EV will be towing a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

lafors wrote: »
    Is no one else thinking this is a bad thing for all other EV owners in Ireland with the current amount of public chargers? Imagine arriving to the DC fast charger with one of those ahead of you? :eek:

The Ionity chargers will have 350kw when they come here, although there are only a few sites in Ireland and are only in cities with none in between and it could be 2020 before they are online!

Why would you need to stop at a charger?

If I can get around with 120km range and never have to use public system think of what I could do with 400km+

Is no one else thinking this is a bad thing for all other EV owners in Ireland with the current amount of public chargers? Imagine arriving to the DC fast charger with one of those ahead of you?

Why would you need to stop at a charger?

If I can get around with 120km range and never have to use public system think of what I could do with 400km+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wondering how big this really is in the back compared to Ioniq. If it is significantly smaller, then it's out for me with 3 growing up kids who'll be 10, 12 and 14 before this car is available here. Ioniq can seat 5 bigger than average adults relatively comfortably as I recently tested myself in an airport run with friends / family.

And we also got a dog now, which means Tesla Model 3 is out, as it is only a sedan, with just a boot, no hatchback, isn't it?

FCPs are needed for those who have no access to a home charging point. Also those on long commutes will need top ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Water John wrote: »
    Jodaw, the car you are looking for is not far away, but no EV will be towing a trailer.

Tesla tows trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

You can damn near drive the length of Ireland on a single charge.  You dont have to "fill" your car every time you get to a public charging station .  The car is definitely on the "snug" side.  But for Ireland I think it would be perfect.

jodaw wrote: »
    I would imagine we are a long way off a true family sized EV, given that the current arms race with regards to range mean sloping rear ends and small boots.

I mean a nice seven seat MPV would be great but a proper MPV with 64kwh battery might only give 200 mile real range.

Looks like EV is a long way off for me. Although i think i would prefer the new leaf to this. Hate faux SUV's

It's a compact crossover, I don't think I seen any mention of SUV?

Irish people refer to these as SUV but they are not. The majority are crossover(qashqai, ix35, Tucson, sportage, etc) and then they came out with compact crossover(kona, c-hr, juke etc). They are popular with loads of people, especially in cities, the c-hr has been huge success for Toyota

unkel wrote: »
    Wondering how big this really is in the back compared to Ioniq. If it is significantly smaller, then it's out for me with 3 growing up kids who'll be 10, 12 and 14 before this car is available here. Ioniq can seat 5 bigger than average adults relatively comfortably as I recently tested myself in an airport run with friends / family.

And we also got a dog now, which means Tesla Model 3 is out, as it is only a sedan, with just a boot, no hatchback, isn't it?

It will be too small, yeah it's a 4 person vehicle. It is not made for large family

My wife wanted to buy Juke before babies arrived. We mentioned about buggy etc, salesman just pointed over at Qashqai...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's a compact crossover

What size is Kona? I have not been inside a Juke, so can't compare. Is it similar to Renault Captur? If it is, I'm out. We had one as a rental car and the 3 kids fitted in the back alright but it was tight. Would not be big enough for longer journeys and with the kids growing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

jodaw wrote: »

I wouldn’t be so sure, in fairness how economical are the current crop of diesel compact crossovers versus the diesel large family cars - maybe 10% better at best? Large 7 seaters like Galaxy’s are probably 20% less efficient than a Focus? If that relative delta plays out then it should be easy to see larger cars with the same range by having a slightly larger battery surely

They are clearly introducing these large battery’s into cars they feel will sell in numbers ASAP and where buyers will pay a premium. As such it makes sense to initially launch compact crossovers with premium prices, but you can be sure that once they are selling then the larger cross-overs and family cars will come to the market quickly.

Personally the cars size and space would have to meet my requirements before I’d look at the drivetrain, what’s the point of suffering with a tiny boot or limited space if you play golf / mtb’s or have 3 teenagers etc.

These Kona’s are aimed to fit a segment in the market so may not fit everybodies requirements but it looking obvious that car makers are taking EV seriously so I’d expect to see an ev with decent range that fits your space if not your wallet in the next two or three years.

What size is Kona? I have not been inside a Juke, so can't compare. Is it similar to Renault Captur? If it is, I'm out. We had one as a rental car and the 3 kids fitted in the back alright but it was tight. Would not be big enough for longer journeys and with the kids growing

Captur, Juke, C-HR all in same range

If I compare sizes, the Kona is a bit bigger than Captur but smaller than C-HR

My friend has hybrid C-HR, she brought our 2 kids in back and that was back full more or less

To be fair it seems to be wider than Golf so it might be option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It will be too small, yeah it's a 4 person vehicle. It is not made for large family

My wife wanted to buy Juke before babies arrived. We mentioned about buggy etc, salesman just pointed over at Qashqai...
    Captur, Juke, C-HR all in same range

If I compare sizes, the Kona is a bit bigger than Captur but smaller than C-HR

My friend has hybrid C-HR, she brought our 2 kids in back and that was back full more or less

To be fair it seems to be wider than Golf so it might be option

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106276031&postcount=66

Advertisement