Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

RTÉ Archives (@RTEArchives) Tweeted:
    Will the #BeastFromTheEast be another Big Snow from 1982? https://t.co/lrOx4rdGsJ https://twitter.com/RTEArchives/status/968119278678564864?s=17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

aidanodr wrote: »
    Yeah .. because I remember after Ophelia whipped through the city with mainly damage to trees etc the attitude towards the RED alert was fck that, what was that all about, not needed.

But yet it kept people of the streets and at home which did reduce injury and death big time. Of course they are not thinking of that.

Instead the thought process is ME FEIN ..

"Once an event doesnt effect ME then whats it all about".
    "It did nothing to ME, it cost ME nothing so why was there a red alert interferingin my life ffs"

Me me me .. its all about me

I'll be honest, I was always going with that ah come on attitude about the Ophelia red alert. Went for a walk with the dog around the city when it had abated a bit but there was a gust of wind as I was walking by a few trees, I never felt so unsafe! The red alert if put out is necessary. It was lifted by the time I walked that time so I can only imagine what it was like out when Ophelia was at its height 😬😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Possibly, that 6cm might be more like 10cm + in a few places by Wednesday morning.

All the talk on the radio was about thur/fri, tomorrow and Wed could be as bad for snow totals in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Ah it'll be grand, there'll be a few sprinkles and accumulations perhaps, but nothing to worry about for the vast majority of the population, just the bloody piercing cold!!!

I hope I'm right :D

ando wrote: »
    Ah it'll be grand, there'll be a few sprinkles and accumulations perhaps, but nothing to worry about for the vast majority of the population, just the bloody piercing cold!!!

I hope I'm right :D

God help you for saying it'll be grand, someone is imminently on their way to shout at you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

All the talk on the radio was about thur/fri, tomorrow and Wed could be as bad for snow totals in places.

Thursday and Friday also very much in the balance as changes on every run. In South Munster I feel we might just end up with sleet unless on high ground. The east looks great for snow and virtually guaranteed tomorrow and Wednesday.

Well, I'll be watching here from tomorrow with interest, a fantastic forum this, it is bitterly cold in cork city and only been getting colder all day. Spat some horrible hard cold grainy stuff earlier but nothing else to report. I'll leave the experts to it now thanks all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s weeks like this that you’ll really miss Sharon & Dobbo on the SixOne news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

aidanodr wrote: »
    Just to say guys ... been out and about round cork city and surrounds today at clients etc. The general attitude for some bizarre reason amongst those i talk to re the up coming weather event is YEAH SURE. The amount of cynicism is unreal. ALL thinking this is just being built up out of proportion and many dont believe a word of it.

YET I was in and around a few Dunnes Stores, Tesco's and strangely they are all doing a brisk trade with many shelves empty. Also coal merchants are booming, my wife had to Q, which is not usual where she goes.

So my thought is in public people seem to be saying ah yeah sure, but at the same time stocking up big time. Whats that all about?? Why be like that? Why not take the warnings, prepare, and then just be actually delighted IF THE EVENT Doesnt happen or is not as bad as thought.

Its just pure cynisism and fck you jack me fein society we now have ..
    I don't think its necessarily cynicism its just that we haven't really had much lying snow anywhere outside northwest in 8 or so years and the last few snow events have mostly just been slushy melty messes that were gone in a few hours or a day at most, and also seeing as its nearly march most people would regard winter as being over so I guess its understandable most people find it hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I'll be devastated if we only get sleet in the south.��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definite shift NE in the wind here, good for streamers.

windd.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

PcAngel wrote: »

You can come up to Dublin ...if you can find us through all that SNOW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Odds on the presenter on the 6 news saying "Beast from the East"? lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

PcAngel wrote: »

Count yourselves lucky if that's All you get

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »

Air pressure on the turn too...also good! 1032mb atm (in Dublin 16), falling slowly. Was 1033mb a little earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Feck the bread and milk... priorities :D

https://twitter.com/patriceharr/status/968128595662180352

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'm just waiting for the thread to explode with 'Snowing in Dublin D*number here*' posts. Thats when things get real

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Person from met eireann interviews on TV3 news just there. Saying nothing but an over reaction, not as bad as 2010, and lowest temp recorded will be -6.

Think he could be biting his tongue in a few days from now

windd.png

Some of the graphs appearing here are new levels of complicated 😂😂😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm just waiting for the thread to explode with 'Snowing in Dublin D*number here*' posts. Thats when things get real
    How about thundersnow/blizzard in Dublin *insert number here* lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pure jealousy! :p

If it was in Cork we'd never hear the end of it....snow shields blah blah....and all that jazz! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The driest of the continental air should be on its way out from the east towards the west making it easier for heavier snowfalls to take place and cover the ground.

aWTSGFb.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

adam240610 wrote: »
    Person from met eireann interviews on TV3 news just there. Saying nothing but an over reaction, not as bad as 2010, and lowest temp recorded will be -6.

And then this...who to believe

https://twitter.com/ivanyatesnt/status/968161418246844418

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Artane2002 wrote: »
    How about thundersnow/blizzard in Dublin *insert number here* lol.

Now your talking :D, will never ever forget the blue lightning of thundersnow in D4 (Ringsend)when I rented an apartment there back in 2010.

Which reminds me, FYI anyone that uses the East Link bridge, trucks cannot get over it in heavy snow, the rush hour traffic one night finished around 10pm in 2010, great craic watching from the window, must have sucked in the cars.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Shannon airport TAF mentioning a possibility of snow showers from 4pm tomorrow....yeahhhh :)

PROB 30 TEMPO 2716-2718 5000 -SHSN

Dublin will have occasionally snow showers from 2pm

TEMPO 2714-2718 3000 -SHSN

Cork has a possibility overnight and again from 3pm
    PROB 30
    TEMPO 2700→2708 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2715→2718 5000 -SHSN SCT018CB

And again, a chance for Knock from 3pm
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2715→2718 4000 -SHSN

Being honest, I'd be surprised if they were that widespread by tomorrow, wasn't expecting that until Wednesday.
    That may be the forecaster covering his/her rear, just in case. Don't say we never mentioned snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GreyEagle wrote: »
    That may be the forecaster covering his/her rear, just in case. Don't say we never mentioned snow.

For Dublin it's practically guaranteed, I'd agree with the covering their rear in the case of NOC and SNN. Wouldn't completely rule it out however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

adam240610 wrote: »

Did you catch a name btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ich bin ein snowman

Reminds of playing Risk in the mobile home back in 90s, with the drinks flowin and the punches flyin.

I hope ur right btw, I recall the 2010 hit and miss IOM super shield very well....I got hit big time, more of the same please Mr Jesus 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Friday's blizzard song.

https://youtu.be/2z5rMNH_yTI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did you catch a name btw?

The Eagle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement