Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

awec wrote: »
    In fairness didn’t heaslip give an interview years ago where he said he doesn’t watch rugby or something like that?

he said because he spends so much time week to week preparing, watching film etc. that he wouldn't watch a random game at the weekend as he enjoys switching off in different... that's hardly not liking rugby.

also he said since his long term injury he often finds himself watching games of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

irishfan9 wrote: »
    he said because he spends so much time week to week preparing, watching film etc. that he wouldn't watch a random game at the weekend as he enjoys switching off in different... that's hardly not liking rugby.

also he said since his long term injury he often finds himself watching games of rugby.

Nope. He was not refrrring to ‘random games’ at the weekend. It was specifically about Leinster / Ireland games.
    As far as I remember, he said that he doesn’t particularly like watching rugby. It’s something he does for a living. He enjoys other things in his spare time.
    It’s not a criticism, so don’t worry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Nope. He was not refrrring to ‘random games’ at the weekend. It was specifically about Leinster / Ireland games.
    As far as I remember, he said that he doesn’t particularly like watching rugby. It’s something he does for a living. He enjoys other things in his spare time.

i don't care if it's criticism, it's bluntly not true... he played rugby for 20+ years, of course he likes rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think Irishfan is right on this one. Heaslip was interviewed maybe a month back and said he actually enjoys watching games now. I suppose we should have taken that as a sign that all wasn't well re: his injury status.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    i don't care if it's criticism, it's bluntly not true... he played rugby for 20+ years, of course he likes rugby.

Not necessarily. He was paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

So Heaslip is now officially gone.

It will be quite a burden for Kearney to take the flak for all the ****e spewed online. I'm sure those broad shoulders will be up for the task though.

Not necessarily. He was paid for it.

He was a professional rugby player since the age of 11? The CV gets more and more impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He's clarified that elsewhere. He loves rugby. But he also loves other things. When he was "at work" he was fully switched on and loved every minute of it. When he's away from rugby he's also fully switched off from it. He seems to be a really well balanced guy. It's incredibly important to him but doesn't run his life.

He spoke about it really well on Fitzys Left Wing podcast a few weeks ago. Worth a listen as he's very interesting in how he approached the game and life outside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

he was always full of it, no doubt we'll have to listen to him now as a pundit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

AnneFrank wrote: »

If he was "full of it", which I don't think he ever was, it's because for near enough to a decade he was one of the best rugby players on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

AnneFrank wrote: »

Excellent input. Yes, very good.

venter_1783764a.jpg

I worried this thread would turn into a shít show.

Bit depressing to be proved right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He was a player ahead of his time, and he must be jointly the most decorated in the history of the Irish game?

Leinster

Heineken Cup (3): 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12
    Pro12 (3): 2007–08, 2012–13, 2013–14
    European Challenge Cup (1): 2012–13

Ireland

Six Nations Championship (3): 2009, 2014, 2015
    Triple Crown (2): 2007 & 2009
    Grand Slam (1): 2009

British and Irish Lions tours (2): 2009, 2013,

No other irish player has matched his winning record. He is the most decorated player which is remarkable given his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Exactly what I was referring to. He even said he sometimes doesn’t bother watching the matches when he is not involved.

Maybe you should listen to the left wing podcasts with him, when he addresses that misquote. Very informative.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's a thread on a player retiring, not a memorial thread for a dead person. Rackard is stating their (unpopular) opinion but they're hardly being a dick about it. Perhaps you think there should be two threads about Heaslip's retirement, one for loving comments and one for a discussion about his career?

The way to respond to someone who you feel is being disrespectful probably shouldn't be snideness.

I have to agree with everything Buer has said though. He would have been key to Leinster actually coming away with something last season.

Super post. Some posters on the Rugby forum hate any criticism of their heroes and get very bitchy, very quickly.
    A discussion forum is a place for discussion, including dissenting views.

Because the people who were his detractors have no basis for their arguments about his ability other than the fact that they didn't like him.

Someone said earlier his WPOTY nomination was a surprise. A load of ex rugby greats must have been all wrong then. Anyone who watches him without wanting him to f*ck up could see how great he was.

That's actually it, so many people were begging for him to make an absolute balls of it so they could justify themselves. Last year he made more tackles than any other Irish forward and there was only centimetres per carry in it between him and Stander, yet people got all on their high horse about him missing the England game saying he was done and what have you.

I'm yet to see any valid conversation backed up by facts which suggest Heaslip was on the way out when he got injured or that he isn't missed by province or country.

You can have a pop about anyone defending him all you want, but some of the stuff written about Heaslip on these forums have been absolutely laughable and too many people were far too quick to jump on him. Look at the end of the England game last year and see how many comments were about Heaslip not playing and how they were vindicated.

Irish rugby fans deserve absolutely nothing if that's how they see one of the greatest players to wear the green jersey.

molloyjh wrote: »
    He's clarified that elsewhere. He loves rugby. But he also loves other things. When he was "at work" he was fully switched on and loved every minute of it. When he's away from rugby he's also fully switched off from it. He seems to be a really well balanced guy. It's incredibly important to him but doesn't run his life.

He spoke about it really well on Fitzys Left Wing podcast a few weeks ago. Worth a listen as he's very interesting in how he approached the game and life outside it.

Yeah, I sat beside his Dad at a match just before the injury. He also said that Jamie was not a huge rugby fan. Appently his brothers are more so?
    Anyway, no biggie. I mostly don’t like my work either!

Heard an interesting analysis of Haskell (and other players) on another podcast recently. In short, the point made was that Haskell suffered a lot of criticism for many years for being a player who tried to break the mould somewhat and, from a very early age, made it obvious he had pursuits outside rugby. This included him playing abroad in several countries and a heavy online presence promoting his various business ventures. As time has gone on, I think Haskell has won over a lot of his critics. Partly because players now recognise that it is essential to create a life after rugby.

I think Heaslip falls in a similar bucket. Very much guy who knew what he was about and frankly didn't care what others thought of him. He was very focused on making a life outside rugby. As a result, he probably was the subject of quite a bit of unnecessary flak. Anyone who dislikes him can never point to a specific reason - given his on-field disciple (red card aside) and general lack of media presence - other than 'I just don't like him'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah, I sat beside his Dad at a match just before the injury. He also said that Jamie was not a huge rugby fan. Appently his brothers are more so?
    Anyway, no biggie. I mostly don’t like my work either!

Yet Jamie himself saying differently doesn’t count? Then again I doubt you are going to bother informing yourself by listening to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Faugheen wrote: »
    Irish rugby fans deserve absolutely nothing if that's how they see one of the greatest players to wear the green jersey.

i wouldnt class those detractors as irish fans, id imagine they are bitter provincial fans who are pissed off at how many times hes been on winning teams against them through the last decade... and all they have to moan about is head phones and sandals.

there are none as blind as those who refuse to see.

Yeah, I sat beside his Dad at a match just before the injury. He also said that Jamie was not a huge rugby fan.=

That happened alright.

• Advertisement

That happened alright.

No, I made that up because this is so important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Can anyone tell me what Kimmage actually tweeted? Seems to be gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Fantastic player, and great role model.  Changed my view on how a Number 8 should operate.  Its unfortunate it ended for him like this considering he was made of titanium most of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

MOD WARNING: This is now an appreciation thread. This is not something we wanted to do. Unfortunately as people don’t know how to behave like adults so there it is. You can keep your long harbinged grudges for another time...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

harbinged... what is that even supposed to be?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sadly Jamie's Heaslip was the most underappreciated Irish player of the professional era.

Congratulations Jamie on your career your were a great player and captain for both Ireland and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think it's a food place down the end of Harcourt street, probably owned by Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You'll have to forgive .ak, he's lighting candles in 3FE as we speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I think it's the present, pluperfect, módh coinníollach, gerund of the verb to harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sangre wrote: »
    Heard an interesting analysis of Haskell (and other players) on another podcast recently. In short, the point made was that Haskell suffered a lot of criticism for many years for being a player who tried to break the mould somewhat and, from a very early age, made it obvious he had pursuits outside rugby. This included him playing abroad in several countries and a heavy online presence promoting his various business ventures. As time has gone on, I think Haskell has won over a lot of his critics. Partly because players now recognise that it is essential to create a life after rugby.

Haskell showed terrific aptitude as a film maker in his youth before turning his attentions to rugby.

Advertisement