Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Rackard wrote: »
    Yeah - I'm beating him with a stick :rolleyes:
    Said already he was excellent player but over rated, in my opinion, in the last few years.

One of the main things that highlights this is - he hasn't been missed whatsoever for Leinster or Ireland (or the Lions) since he was out.

Maybe it's because with mileage on the clock, he slowed down obviously and wasn't the force he once was, which is natural enough.

If you don’t think he has been missed by Leinster or Ireland you don’t watch much rugby as he has been hugely missed by both. Maybe if the only metric you use is ball carrying you should expand your horizons a little and you might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sad day for Irish rugby. He was an excellent asset for Ireland and Leinster and by all accounts a total gentleman and a mentor to his younger team mates

I wish him every success in his future ambitions and I hope that he chooses to stay on in the sport in a coaching or management role. If he chooses, his contribution to Irish rugby could be far from over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Well i think we all saw the writing on the wall. That wolverine blood is just not as effective at healing once the adamantium starts to get into the system...........

Your ever-presence will be missed.

I'm sure he will be gutted to know you feel that way, and that you think he didnt deserve the world player of the year nomination.

It's a thread on a player retiring, not a memorial thread for a dead person. Rackard is stating their (unpopular) opinion but they're hardly being a dick about it. Perhaps you think there should be two threads about Heaslip's retirement, one for loving comments and one for a discussion about his career?

The way to respond to someone who you feel is being disrespectful probably shouldn't be snideness.

I have to agree with everything Buer has said though. He would have been key to Leinster actually coming away with something last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It was said before about him anytime (few enough) that he was out. That he wasn't really missed because we had (mainly for Ireland) equally good players replacing him. Except that when he got back, you could see immediately what we were missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Friend sent this. I lol'd.

v-moda-crossfade-lp-2-review-hero.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rackard wrote: »
    Yeah - I'm beating him with a stick :rolleyes:
    Said already he was excellent player but over rated, in my opinion, in the last few years.

One of the main things that highlights this is - he hasn't been missed whatsoever for Leinster or Ireland (or the Lions) since he was out.

Maybe it's because with mileage on the clock, he slowed down obviously and wasn't the force he once was, which is natural enough.

You should start watching some rugby. Leinster miss he hugely and will miss him for the match against Saracens. If ever you wanted Heaslip it would be that game

Also saying Ireland are not missing him? are you having a laugh? If he turned up with his boots in the morning he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for Scotland and England match....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I can't believe this needs to be said but the man has just retired, can there be a bit of respect shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

As a Welsh supporter all I wanted to see was his name not on the team sheet.
    His ability to play whatever style was asked of him be it doing the dirty close in ball carrying or slightly wider out where he excelled in getting over the gain line was second to none in Ireland. He would no doubt still be No8 for Ireland but for this injury. Always seemed a gentleman on and off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

He was a true great of the modern game & will be missed by club and country... nothing more I can say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Jamie was and will be remembered as an Irish Rugby great always gave 100% and has a CV other players would like a fraction of. It's a shame he wasn't able to go out on his own terms and will be a loss to Irish rugby however you feel about the man personally

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

brilliant career - the only thing missing was a World Cup - he was brilliant for leinster in the vanguard that helped transform them from under-achievers to European winners - internatioally - Grand slam , All Black winner and Lion - not sure how anyone can knock that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's sad to see any player retire because of injuries but for a guy that played such a physical game and was almost never injured it's almost harder to see him retire through injury.

One of the things I love about the league and european cup is that you get to see great players playing in the likes of Thomond Park, they're there right in front of you to see, dread if they're the opposition but still admire. Heaslip was one of those great players.

He's had some career and can look back on it with pride.

Best of Luck Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

thebaz wrote: »
    All Black winner

Please stop with that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

GavMan wrote: »
    Please stop with that carry on

ok right, loads of Irish players have beaten the All Black - its no big deal , just took over 100 years to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is there any suggestion that the knee from Pape was the beginning of the end given it was his back that did for him?

Surely a fitting place to see that gif of him trampling O Gara one last time before it's laid to rest

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I can't believe this needs to be said but the man has just retired, can there be a bit of respect shown.
    He retired he is not dead like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

$ausage$ wrote: »

Yep, that'll help your case

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

$ausage$ wrote: »

If you have a problem with moderation on a thread, do not argue or backseat mod on the thread, feel free to PM the mod in question with your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

already have - noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Great number 8 difficult to pick out a better one in a green jersey
    Was marmite like with the other provinces in the later years
    Met him at a training session with the kids he was a total gent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Super player - particularly in his early years as a professional. Funny, I don’t think he likes rugby much. Happier in business I suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Super player - particularly in his early years as a professional. Funny, I don’t think he likes rugby much. Happier in business I suspect.

bizarre comment, of course he likes rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Class player. Wish it in the best going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Nothing to add that hasnt already been said. One of the great heroes of Irish Rugby. An inspiration to many a young fella.

The Million dollar fries in Bear are savage too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishfan9 wrote: »

In fairness didn’t heaslip give an interview years ago where he said he doesn’t watch rugby or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

irishfan9 wrote: »

To be fair he did say before he never watches games or seems to bother much with the game outside of playing it.
    He'll be sadly missed...a great player.

It's a thread on a player retiring, not a memorial thread for a dead person. Rackard is stating their (unpopular) opinion but they're hardly being a dick about it. Perhaps you think there should be two threads about Heaslip's retirement, one for loving comments and one for a discussion about his career?

The way to respond to someone who you feel is being disrespectful probably shouldn't be snideness.

I have to agree with everything Buer has said though. He would have been key to Leinster actually coming away with something last season.

Super post. Some posters on the Rugby forum hate any criticism of their heroes and get very bitchy, very quickly.
    A discussion forum is a place for discussion, including dissenting views.

awec wrote: »
    In fairness didn’t heaslip give an interview years ago where he said he doesn’t watch rugby or something like that?

Exactly what I was referring to. He even said he sometimes doesn’t bother watching the matches when he is not involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »

He doesn't watch it socially I think was his point. He likes it in the way that anyone who is committed to their career and enjoys what they do does. But obviously has other things going on in his life.

Advertisement