Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Haskell showed terrific aptitude as a film maker in his youth before turning his attentions to rugby.

Careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, I sat beside his Dad at a match just before the injury. He also said that Jamie was not a huge rugby fan. Appently his brothers are more so?
    Anyway, no biggie. I mostly don’t like my work either!

Jamie himself has said that he didn't watch much rugby when he played. He was living it enough as it was and had other things to be doing than sitting watching even more rugby. I'm sure that's what his dad was getting at. Since his injury he's actually started watching it again (this is from the horses mouth) and enjoys that aspect now.

Basically when he was playing it was taking up most of his time and he didn't want to lose more time to the game. When he stopped playing he starting watching as a fan again. When asked about his future in the game after retiring he said he probably wasn't going to coach or become a pundit. However he said he did like the podcast format where it's a bit more conversational and inferred he might be interested in getting involved in that somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Haskell showed terrific aptitude as a film maker in his youth before turning his attentions to rugby.

Bless your memory, I had forgotten all about that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

joecass123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Kimmage actually tweeted? Seems to be gone now

He retweeted a not so droll tweet from Aidan O'Hara also of the indo-rag, something about Heaslip's lack of engagement with the media over the years.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He retweeted a not so droll tweet from Aidan O'Hara also of the indo-rag, something about Heaslip's lack of engagement with the media over the years.

Jaysus, how dare a person dictate the level of publicity they engage in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Larbre34 wrote: »

I think that's in reference to Heaslip blocking them, But that's still on his page, I'd imagine it's a reference to Heaslip doping or some other nonsense he won't let go of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not that he didn't do media, it's that he blocked a pile of journalists on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Pity that for a guy who was never out through injury that it was an injury that finally got him. Great player for Leinster and Ireland.

That try against France was the first thing that came to mind for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

A player who’s excellence will be far more appreciated amongst the supporters of other rugby playing nations simply because he happened to take the approach of not conforming strictly to how an Irish rugby player should be seen to be.

Oh and because of good old fashioned begurdgery!

Top player and decent bloke to boot.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's not that he didn't do media, it's that he blocked a pile of journalists on twitter.

I also don't think that's what people were complaining about, was there not a tweet that was deleted (I don't actually know, but thats what I assumed)

The man lifted 10 senior competition trophies, no matter what anyone in the media says or does or begrudges, that will never change.

Well done James and good health in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Aidan O'Hara, who writes for the Indo, tweeted
    “This tweet is unavailable” has retired

which Kimmage retweeted.

he, O'Hara, then went on to say
    About 10 straight tweets on my TL were QT, paying tribute to “this tweet is unavailable”. It looked funny. That’s about the height of it
    It’s funny, peculiar to have people paying tribute to a tweet you can’t see. Again, that’s about it. Where do you get that I think his retirement is funny? I’d say that’s not your finest work

I think, could be wrong, that if Heaslip had blocked O'Hara then on his timeline he wouldn't be able to see what Heaslip tweeted (this tweet is unavailable), only what other people were saying.

joecass123 wrote: »
    I think that's in reference to Heaslip blocking them, But that's still on his page, I'd imagine it's a reference to Heaslip doping or some other nonsense he won't let go of.

Won't comment about it in this thread, but that's what I saw.

Won't comment about it in this thread, but that's what I saw.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

A huge loss to Ireland and Leinster. Its amazing how he maintained his level and adapted to the changes in Rugby for such a long career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Truly a great, he'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Really sad to see Jamie Heaslip have to end his career in this way - he seemed bullet proof for almost all of this playing days.

Thank you, Jamie, for the great service you gave to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions - I hope you have a long, happy and healthy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

329 senior appearances

95 for ireland
    5 for lions
    229 for leinster

We are unlikely to see that again in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

harbinged... what is that even supposed to be?

It’s a perfectly cromulant word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    329 senior appearances

95 for ireland
    5 for lions
    229 for leinster

We are unlikely to see that again in Ireland

Healy is only 30 and has 260 appearances. I'd expect him to push that close if not beat it. 70 appearances in 4-5 years is very achievable.

We never did get to see this combo enough

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/968086094834229249

At the time people complained about how they weren't balanced. Probably just because they heard the term on telly!

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    We never did get to see this combo enough

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/968086094834229249
    That backrow is so good that if all three of them were fit and available they'd still be the first choice for Ireland 7 years later.

Healy is only 30 and has 260 appearances. I'd expect him to push that close if not beat it. 70 appearances in 4-5 years is very achievable.

Did a quick look at players records and never considered Healy as he had a few years off with injury. Kept forgetting he made his debut so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

He was a wonderful rugby player for Leinster & Ireland. Best of luck in your retirement Jamie. You were a real pro on & off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

conjugate the verb

I harboured
    You harbinged
    They cant resist taking a pop at a highly respected servant of province and country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Always a shame when an injury ends a player's career. Over the past 10 plus years living in Ireland I came to appreciate Heaslip more and more. Loved how his game evolved. I'd rate him as one of the top ten number 8s I've ever seen.

I've even forgiven him for kneeing McCaw in the head 😆

One of my favourite memories of Heaslip was a random league match against Ulster (I think) at the RDS sometime around 2009-11. My flatmate and I were watching game, having a few beers and maybe a little bit of whacky-backy. Heaslip took off on a storming run down the sideline, a young Ulster (?) back charged across to make the covering tackle and received a big "don't argue" to the face. One of the best fends we'd ever seen. We spent about 10 minutes rewinding it and laughing. Ok, yes there was definitely some Maryjane involved.

The comment about him not watching rugby. I've heard that from a few of my mates who played at pro level. They just didn't enjoy watching games in their down time apart from big test matches. After they retired, they have started to enjoy watching it as a fan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    That backrow is so good that if all three of them were fit and available they'd still be the first choice for Ireland 7 years later.
    Horrible to think that two of them have been forced to retire through injury, Ferris far too young and SOB's career seems to be hanging from a thread now, also because of injury. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sad news

Thanks for the memories Jamie

Best wishes to him for the future

Advertisement