Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Leslie91 wrote:
    I had not dreamt in yrs... then I got my CPAP, first night I dreamt, it was mad... Apparently one only dreams in deep sleep and most with apnoea stop breathing when transitioning to deep sleep and wake up before reaching deep sleep. Dreaming like a divil ever since, it's great.

You dream in REM sleep I believe, the lightest sleep state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I had not dreamt in yrs... then I got my CPAP, first night I dreamt, it was mad... Apparently one only dreams in deep sleep and most with apnoea stop breathing when transitioning to deep sleep and wake up before reaching deep sleep. Dreaming like a divil ever since, it's great.
    Interesting! Will check research on CPAP and dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

FaganJr wrote: »
    You dream in REM sleep I believe, the lightest sleep state.

I was told that you need to reach deep sleep to dream... but open to correction. Certainly I was not conscious of being able to remember having dreamt until getting on the CPAP.

Leslie91 wrote:
    I was told that you need to reach deep sleep to dream... but open to correction. Certainly I was not conscious of being able to remember having dreamt until getting on the CPAP.

Yes you have to reach deep sleep in the first stage after falling asleep, but then you enter REM sleep and that's where dreams occur. You alternate then between the 3 sleep states, deep, light & REM. REM is usually the last sleep state before naturally waking. And sometimes you remember parts of these dreams.

FaganJr wrote: »
    Yes you have to reach deep sleep in the first stage after falling asleep, but then you enter REM sleep and that's where dreams occur. You alternate then between the 3 sleep states, deep, light & REM. REM is usually the last sleep state before naturally waking. And sometimes you remember parts of these dreams.

Ah that explains it, I was never reaching deep sleep and so not making it to REM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

CPAP subjects experienced REM sleep. "REM density was highest the first CPAP night. Severe OSAS patients recall dreams in REM sleep as often as controls, but their dreams have an increased emotional tone and are longer. Despite an increase in REM density, dream recall decreased the first months of CPAP and recovered 2 years later." Ref: Eva Carrasco, et al, Changes in dreaming induced by CPAP in severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients, Journal of Sleep Research, Volume 15, Issue 4, December 2006, Pages 430–436.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fathom wrote: »
    Interesting! Will check research on CPAP and dreaming.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Eva Carrasco, et al, Changes in dreaming induced by CPAP in severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients, Journal of Sleep Research, Volume 15, Issue 4, December 2006, Pages 430–436.

Grand source.

"Continuous positive airway pressure therapy eliminated the abnormal behaviors, unpleasant dreams, snoring and daytime hypersomnolence." Ref: Alex Iranzo and Joan Santamar, Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Mimicking REM Sleep Behavior Disorder, Sleep, Volume 28, Issue 2, 1 February 2005, Pages 203–206.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone travel recently with Ryanair and carry on the CPAP machine.

I traveled last year with it and brought it onboard no problems, I wonder has this changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Glebee wrote: »

I traveled last year with it and brought it onboard no problems, I wonder has this changed.

No change as far as i can see. BUT - you must contact them to send you authorisation to carry it as extra hand luggage. I did get stopped once boarding the plane and only that I had the covering letter - I would had had to put one of my bags into the hold.

To be honest - the authorisation side of things is quite easy and works well...so credit where credit is due!

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    No change as far as i can see. BUT - you must contact them to send you authorisation to carry it as extra hand luggage. I did get stopped once boarding the plane and only that I had the covering letter - I would had had to put one of my bags into the hold.

To be honest - the authorisation side of things is quite easy and works well...so credit where credit is due!

Did not have any letter when I carried on last year. Is it just counted as carry on??

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Glebee wrote:

Glebee wrote:

I traveled in April with Ryanair to Pisa. No problems bringing CPAP along with carry on. No letter asked for.

I flew flybe not so long ago and CPAP no issue at all... not even asked what it was. I'd expect the same from all airlines to be honest but if you have/can get your hands on a letter then no harm to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

After two awful months I've given up on the CPAP. My sleep pattern was in complete ruin, was hardly sleeping at all, and felt much worse than before I started on it. Had the machine changed after about a month as the readings showed that the pressure on it was too strong, guy in the hospital said he couldn't explain why it was happening. First couple of nights with the new machine I managed to sleep and thought I had cracked it, but soon went back to square one. When I went back to the clinic and explained things to the doctor he asked did I want to continue with it. "Not if I don't have to" was my immediate reply.

The relief since I've finished with it is huge. Have to go back to the hospital in six months to see how things are. The doc said that although the tests showed my sleep apnoea was severe the symptoms didn't actually seem that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I am using a ResMed Airsense unit with a mirage FX nasal mask. On Saturday night the circular holder that connects the mask to the air hose almost completely came away and now there is a very poor seal with lots of air leakage. I cannot afford a new mask at the moment so I’m thinking of trying to repair the mask using glue – I believe the mask is made of silicon (for the soft cushion parts) and nylon for the harder parts. It is the harder (nylon) part I will be trying to glue. Anyone tried this before and if so what would they recommend for a suitable glue?

Ive used superglue in the past to stick the rubber cushion to the mask where its come loose. Worked perfect.

Glebee wrote:
    Ive used superglue in the past to stick the rubber cushion to the mask where its come loose. Worked perfect.

Jaysus, wouldn't fancy that, fumes etc??

I’ll try the super glue tonight – not sure how it will stand up to the humidity but we will see. As for fumes – I’d image once the glue is set the fumes will stop.

Otherwise I’m going to have to try loads of gaffer tape.

dogmatix wrote:

Are you renting machine?? If so will they not give you a replacement?? How old is it??

dogmatix wrote: »
    I’ll try the super glue tonight – not sure how it will stand up to the humidity but we will see. As for fumes – I’d image once the glue is set the fumes will stop.

Tried tape, it did not work. The slightest bit of superglue worked a treat. if renting you get one replacement mask a year.(thats what i get anyway)

• Advertisement

Aye - i'm renting it - had it exactly one year. I was annoyed when it happened on Saturday night as it was almost exactly one year since I had started using the machine. I was convinced the blasted thing was programmed to fail on exactly day 365. I'll give them a ring today about a replacement. I tried superglue last night and it worked well on the circular holder. But I had forgotten about the tiny vents/valves which had popped out. I'll superglue them tonight (I was too tired to try delicate work like that at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Have the Irish Sleep Apnaea trust ceased operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Some info that may be of interest on the Airmini.

I have been renting an AirSense 10 since January, with not much trouble other than some leakage when I turn onto my side (full face mask) but the treatment is working so I'm not bothered.

I decided to get a AirMini a couple of weeks ago as I travel a lot with work... my experience so far is super positive.

Size
    It packs up pretty small; I actually pack the unit and charger in the box the unit came in as it's got a pretty secure shell, and pack the hose and mask in a small soft toilet bag. Boxed up it takes up about 1/3 space at about 1/4 the weight of the AirSense which for my 2-3 day trips is the difference between a single bag or two bags on a flight. I have not got the official soft case yet because that seems to be quite big and padded, and less flexible for packing. I'll probably get the hard shell case at some point.

Noise
    It's louder than the AirSense. If your partner complains about the noise now, the AirMini will be louder. But not as much as some have reported.

Lack of Humidifier
    I was pretty worried about this... I love the humidifier on the 10 but the Airmini doesn't work with one for full face masks. However, I've had no problems so far not having one for a night or two. I believe they are working on a humidifier solution for the face masks, so fingers crossed.

Using It
    One button, literally. You need to install the app initially, but that's it....one night I just lay down, strapped in, and hit the button, and it ramped up perfectly.

One downside is that the data is not merged between the two devices, so if you like tracking you'll have to use the app (for the mini) and the website (for the airsense), but TBH I don't track it too regularly anymore unless I'm not getting sleep.. The other downside is that it's bloody expensive. 1500 lids; I did consider importing for 800-900 USD, but figured import duty, warranty, power supply, and uploading of data would end up making this more trouble than the few hundred saving. One other thing I would love is the ability to run it off an external battery... currently it's the included charger (nice long cable) only. Also: don't get a second mask... just travel with your daily mask. It means you don't have two to clean and maintain at the same time, just one.

I hope this is of some use to you guys.

Does anyone have any experience with this device? - https://www.cpap.co.uk/sleepcube-autoadjust-plus-autocpap.html#customer-reviews

I've been with a Resmed S9 Autoset for going on 7 years, so time for an upgrade, but the price of the Airsense 10 here in Ireland is a bit daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seagull01

Hi everyone, diagnosed with severe sleep apnea last December, over 31 apneas/hypopneas an hour, oxygen levels dropping to 81%. Sleeping constantly and taking ages to wake. Had second sleep study in March, I dont have Narcolepsy but have restless legs which wake me and prevent me going to deep sleep. To cut a long story short, started on APAP machine in December. I noticed an immediate improvement, then plateaued out which was very dissappointing. Still exhausted but perservered and after adjustments to the APAP machine doing so much better now. My air is set automatically from 4 to 16 and I am at 16 quite a lot of nights.

Anybody else's machine set on this high level???

Seagull01 wrote:
    Hi everyone, diagnosed with severe sleep apnea last December, over 31 apneas/hypopneas an hour, oxygen levels dropping to 81%. Sleeping constantly and taking ages to wake. Had second sleep study in March, I dont have Narcolepsy but have restless legs which wake me and prevent me going to deep sleep. To cut a long story short, started on APAP machine in December. I noticed an immediate improvement, then plateaued out which was very dissappointing. Still exhausted but perservered and after adjustments to the APAP machine doing so much better now. My air is set automatically from 4 to 16 and I am at 16 quite a lot of nights.

Seagull01 wrote:

You pretty much had the same diagnosis as myself, 32 events average.
    My machine was set 4 - 15
    I couldn't handle when it hit 15 as that would wake me up.
    I asked them to lower it to 14. They said it would increase my events.
    But it has lowered over time where my average is now between 3-7 .
    But I put this down to going on blood pressure tablets since December also.
    So this combination is working for me.
    I mean I was struggling when it was 15, swallowing air, felt like I was blew up like a balloon. So had to release alot of air as was really uncomfortable. Burping etc

But now sleep like a baby

Good luck!!

Seagull01 wrote: »

Mine was set 4-20 but I don't think I've ever gone to 20, seems avg is 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

corwill wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with this device? - https://www.cpap.co.uk/sleepcube-autoadjust-plus-autocpap.html#customer-reviews

I've been with a Resmed S9 Autoset for going on 7 years, so time for an upgrade, but the price of the Airsense 10 here in Ireland is a bit daunting.

I had been renting an Airsense 10 since February. I was very happy with the machine which had literally overhauled my life. I was not happy paying €110 per month to rent it though. I done quite a lot of research online and ended up buying one from this company:

https://www.cpapstore.eu/store/cpap-bipap-machines/auto-cpap-machines/airsense-10-autoset-auto-cpap-with-humidair/

I found them to be excellent to deal with - the MD even rang me at 7.30 one evening to discuss queries I had about the myAir online monitoring and if it would function here (which it does 100%) along with a few other minor queries. The machine arrived within 48 hrs of placing the order and was identical in every way to the rented machine that I had.

The price of purchasing the machine from the distributor here is nothing short of insulting in my opinion.

I had been renting an Airsense 10 since February. I was very happy with the machine which had literally overhauled my life. I was not happy paying €110 per month to rent it though. I done quite a lot of research online and ended up buying one from this company:

https://www.cpapstore.eu/store/cpap-bipap-machines/auto-cpap-machines/airsense-10-autoset-auto-cpap-with-humidair/

I found them to be excellent to deal with - the MD even rang me at 7.30 one evening to discuss queries I had about the myAir online monitoring and if it would function here (which it does 100%) along with a few other minor queries. The machine arrived within 48 hrs of placing the order and was identical in every way to the rented machine that I had.

The price of purchasing the machine from the distributor here is nothing short of insulting in my opinion.

Where did those lads ship it to you from? Price here in Ireland is bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

corwill wrote:
    Where did those lads ship it to you from? Price here in Ireland is bananas.

It was shipped from Athens according to the paperwork on delivery - shipped overnight via TNT at no additional cost to me....

Advertisement