Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Anyone here with a custom mandibular advancement device manage to get out of home insurance for it? Mine cost €750

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Anyone know the reimburseable amount for a CPAP rental on the drugs payment scheme?
    There is a list of drugs and their reimbursement amount on the HSE website but I can't find an amount for the CPAP rental.

I recently got 331 euro reimbursement for meds and cpap for all of 2016.
    Was expecting 1212.
    I pay 245 euro a month, 103 for cpap and 142 for meds.

HSE say they value my meds at 75 euro, BUT chemist charges me 142!!
    So far HSE has not told me how much they reimburse for CPAP.

My understanding was I should only pay 144 a month, but I pay 245 so should get 101 a month back.
    Meds are on approved list.

Has anyone come across this before?

That seems a bit odd. I've only recently started claiming as now both my wife and I have CPAP machines and that sends us over the top even without our meds. But I've gotten exactly what I expected back from them.

Have you tried ringing them on 1890-252-919? I've found them very helpful. And they actually answer the phone which is a rare treat for a govt agency.

Failing that, have you gone to another chemist to value the meds you buy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In the past I would have to stop to sleep sometimes on the way home from work. I even have felt like doing that on the way to work after being asleep all night! But since having the machine, those things have all changed.
    Glebee wrote: »
    Currently about 5 weeks into my second attempt to use the machine. This time I made up my mind to give it a right go and have used the mask for a minimum of 6 hours most nights for the past 5 week. AHI readings are down to under 3 most nights and I was diagnosed as being towards the bad end of sleep apnea scale. No snoring either. Going to sleep is a joy at the moment. I wake refreshed the next morning and can honestly say some morning I bounce out of bed. No waking during the night to go to toilet (was up at least twice a night prior to using machine). Tiredness during the day is completely gone. No more napping on the couch or having to pull into the hardshoulder in the car to have a kip if on a long drive. I think in the end it was the driving situation that really scared me into doing something. I was an accident waiting to happen. I can now saw I know what a good nights sleep is..

I'm having my initial consultation for a sleep study next month so I have been reading up about it in general and it's really great reading these posts. This is all me, to a tee. I didn't realise it was all symptoms until recently :o I couldn't cope without my 30-40 min naps to and from work on the bus and I'm always waking in the night.
    Great to see rental is covered under DPS too assuming I get to that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Anyone know the reimburseable amount for a CPAP rental on the drugs payment scheme?
    There is a list of drugs and their reimbursement amount on the HSE website but I can't find an amount for the CPAP rental.

I recently got 331 euro reimbursement for meds and cpap for all of 2016.
    Was expecting 1212.
    I pay 245 euro a month, 103 for cpap and 142 for meds.

HSE say they value my meds at 75 euro, BUT chemist charges me 142!!
    So far HSE has not told me how much they reimburse for CPAP.

My understanding was I should only pay 144 a month, but I pay 245 so should get 101 a month back.
    Meds are on approved list.

Has anyone come across this before?

Similar problem here - I pay 95 a month for meds plus 110 for my CPAP rental.
    So I would be expecting a 61 euro refund - but they only gave me a 41 euro refund. I suspect they are not reimbursing me the 20 euro vat charge on the CPAP rental. I'll be ringing them today to find out the story - there is nothing on the HSE or DPS website about vat being excluded from refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

dogmatix wrote: »
    So I would be expecting a 61 euro refund - but they only gave me a 41 euro refund. I suspect they are not reimbursing me the 20 euro vat charge on the CPAP rental. I'll be ringing them today to find out the story - there is nothing on the HSE or DPS website about vat being excluded from refunds.

Id say the shortfall is in tbe price of the meds. They're only allowi g 75 for meds.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

dogmatix wrote: »

I was telling my wife about this last night and she seems to remember something about them only refunding the cheapest option available to you. So if there is generic brands for the meds you're taking, they'll refund you the price of those generic brands.

I think this is unfair to be honest, because if you were over the limit with meds only and just using one chemist like most are, then they'd have no way to double check this. You'd just get what you need for the €144 a month or whatever it is.

I was telling my wife about this last night and she seems to remember something about them only refunding the cheapest option available to you. So if there is generic brands for the meds you're taking, they'll refund you the price of those generic brands.

I think this is unfair to be honest, because if you were over the limit with meds only and just using one chemist like most are, then they'd have no way to double check this. You'd just get what you need for the €144 a month or whatever it is.

Aye - i'm on a generic brand now as they came out of patent a while back. They used to cost north of 400 a month. Maybe I should ask my chemist to switch me back to the branded meds and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Hmm, so i am not the only one it seems. Totally ridiculous...it says you don't have to pay more than 144!

Would you believe I got a generic brand the other day and it cost more than the branded one!!
    The chemist, just said, ye its strange alright...bye now...

That seems a bit odd. I've only recently started claiming as now both my wife and I have CPAP machines and that sends us over the top even without our meds. But I've gotten exactly what I expected back from them.

Have you tried ringing them on 1890-252-919? I've found them very helpful. And they actually answer the phone which is a rare treat for a govt agency.

Failing that, have you gone to another chemist to value the meds you buy?

I did ring them...not sure what number...the girl was nice and explained it, but sounds stupid to me

She is sending me out the info on how they came up with the 75 euro.
    Will try another chemist if I don't get anywhere with HSE.

Id say the shortfall is in tbe price of the meds. They're only allowi g 75 for meds.?

ye, thats what they said...will see when they send out the explanation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Looking for advice.... am off to Portugal for a week and am thinking of leaving my CPAP machine at home.

Am travelling with Ryanair availing of the cabin baggage allowance only .. so have a pull along and a rucksack. Wasn't fancying carting the CPAP as well.

What the worse that can happen.....I intend spending my days asleep on a sun lounger in the shade so I will get plenty of sleep. Did anyone ever take such a break from the machine like this before??

I only on the machine since Feb17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Masala wrote: »
    Looking for advice.... am off to Portugal for a week and am thinking of leaving my CPAP machine at home.

Am travelling with Ryanair availing of the cabin baggage allowance only .. so have a pull along and a rucksack. Wasn't fancying carting the CPAP as well.

What the worse that can happen.....I intend spending my days asleep on a sun lounger in the shade so I will get plenty of sleep. Did anyone ever take such a break from the machine like this before??

I only on the machine since Feb17

I think you should bring the machine, you will be wrecked.

I think you should bring the machine, you will be wrecked.

Have to give Ryanair credit despite the bashing they getting recently..... an email on way to me to carry the CPAP bag as extra bag over and above the other 2.

Very obliging on phone on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone know if you claim back the VAT from Revene for the hire of the CPAP machines.?? Just a thought.

Not sure about the VAT, but you can claim tax back from Revenue for medical expenses and that includes prescriptions and the like. Just keep all the receipts when making a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Laya will refund €135 if you have a letter from your consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Last night was first nite on the CPAP at home (had done the trial in hospital). Seemed to go OK, I woke a couple of times but AHI reading (if I'm reading it correct) was below 10, sleep study score without CPAP was 67.

We spend the full €144 on meds already so I'm expecting that they will refund the full cost of the CPAP. Also checked with health insurer (LAYA) and they tell me they will give 50% of up to to €200 p.a. but will go against outpatient excess.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Last night was first nite on the CPAP at home (had done the trial in hospital). Seemed to go OK, I woke a couple of times but AHI reading (if I'm reading it correct) was below 10, sleep study score without CPAP was 67.

We spend the full €144 on meds already so I'm expecting that they will refund the full cost of the CPAP. Also checked with health insurer (LAYA) and they tell me they will give 50% of up to to €200 p.a. but will go against outpatient excess.

How do u read this yourself??? I though you needed software to read this???

What machine are u on??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

What machine are u on??

My philips gives that info on the screen also, AHI over 1, 7 and 30 days.
    I averaging 2.6 over the 30 days.

Also shows treatment hours over 1, 7 and 30 days

What machine are u on??

I'll check the make and model tonight and let you know but it has a screen and I can hit a button below the "i" (for information). I can then scroll through the last 5 (I think) 'recordings' and the AHI shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I'll check the make and model tonight and let you know but it has a screen and I can hit a button below the "i" (for information). I can then scroll through the last 5 (I think) 'recordings' and the AHI shows.

Its a Sefam Dreamstar by the sounds of it!

FaganJr wrote: »
    Its a Sefam Dreamstar by the sounds of it!

That's the one!!. Thanks. You have the same one?, how has your experience been?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

That's the one!!. Thanks. You have the same one?, how has your experience been?

Great start, terrible middle and improvements since then!

By terrible middle I mean after a month they adjusted the machine and I went backwards.

But after another adjustment been making great improvements.

Stick with it, best advice really.

Dreamstar are releasing a new machine called the SBox, this connects to Wifi & Bluetooth. So they can remote into the machine to take reports and make adjustments for you.
    So if your with the same company I am, they should let you get that machine also.
    If your renting its the same price.
    When I get it I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

We spend the full €144 on meds already so I'm expecting that they will refund the full cost of the CPAP.
    Also checked with health insurer (LAYA) and they tell me they will give 50% of up to to €200 p.a. but will go against outpatient excess.

This is correct. Fill out the DSP Refund form (link below) and send it ,along with your receipt, to the address listed on the form.

DSP Refund Form

You will need to fill out a form for each month.

FaganJr wrote: »
    Great start, terrible middle and improvements since then!

By terrible middle I mean after a month they adjusted the machine and I went backwards.

But after another adjustment been making great improvements.

Stick with it, best advice really.

Dreamstar are releasing a new machine called the SBox, this connects to Wifi & Bluetooth. So they can remote into the machine to take reports and make adjustments for you.
    So if your with the same company I am, they should let you get that machine also.
    If your renting its the same price.
    When I get it I'll let you know!

Thanks.. yeah I think they said they will check on results in 2 weeks and make any changes necessary. So far so good though. Only complaint is the mask is hurting the bridge of nose a bit. So maybe I need a bigger one?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

Only complaint is the mask is hurting the bridge of nose a bit. So maybe I need a bigger one?

I had that problem but changed masks and find its better now, also ensure that the mast is not too tight starting off as the pressure builds it then seals.

I have been on a CPAP since '07 I am with the same provider since then have never checked around price wise, I am just curious is there much difference price wise between companies ??

Gerard93 wrote: »
    I had that problem but changed masks and find its better now, also ensure that the mast is not too tight starting off as the pressure builds it then seals.

I have been on a CPAP since '07 I am with the same provider since then have never checked around price wise, I am just curious is there much difference price wise between companies ??

I'm paying €86 a mth to rent the machine... the mask as a one off was v pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

Gerard93 wrote: »

I'm paying €86 a mth to rent the machine... the mask as a one off was v pricey.

Paying 96.00 per month but get a free mask and machine gets the once over yearly
    Mask on its own I think is around €150

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a second hand machine (from a company in Atlone, I think) for €300 and (touch wood) it's still going grand somewhere about 18 months later. Have only had to (recently) get a replacement straps for the nasal frame.

Recommend anyone paying close to a €100 a month to look into.

=-=

Someone mentioned about not bringing their CPAP device with them on holidays. From experience, the 1st night after using CPAP won't be that bad, but quality of sleep nosedives after on the 2nd night and after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Johannabax

Just diagnosed with sleep apnea. Rep calling tomorrow about machine. It sounds like the can be very annoying to have on. I'm already dreading it as I have a neck problem. I didn't get any details from consultant other than had it and I need a machine. I'm not even sure whether I'm a mouth or nose breather. I start the night as a nose breather. I have allergies and a very large sinus polyp and as I said neck problems so I wonder if all or any of these contribute.

Advertisement