Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude towards Free Travel Card Users

Options
  • 18-02-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I decided to start a new thread on this, it was originally a reply to someone on the seat bookings thread.

I am in my early/mid 20s and I have had the experience of being an FT user, I will keep it for a while now as I am back in work but will eventually lose it, and while it's been an invaluable tool in helping me restore my health, the experience of having it has been humiliating, embarrassing, and stressful, because of the attitude of the public, some staff and radio presenters/callers (I listen and count the misinformation - always always ALLLLLWAYS uncorrected by the host)

I'm hardly innocent in this attitude, because I've been guilty of it myself.

We all know the usual three tropes about this topic: Junkies, cost and reforms. But it's not the wider scheme I wanna post on though, it's the attitude towards people on it - a kind of cold naked contempt and I'm going to use my own experience to illustrate how this attitude feels on the receiving end.

I managed to get myself a cancer that usually affects people over 55, and after I recovered from that I developed a really severe depression and anxiety disorder that:
    • Stopped me going to college
    • Got me fired from my job (because apparently, though I said/did nothing in particular according to them, the customers picked up on my dark mood and took it as me being bad mooded with them, which of course it was not),
    • Led to me isolating myself at home
    • Stopped all socializting (all social media terminate, no interactions with friends or socializing with family whatsoever, zero zero zero)
    • My mental energy collapsed to the point where showering and shaving seemed like what climbing a mountain would to a normal person.
    • Developed a sophisticated suicide plan to avoid it looking like a suicide

Eventually, I was convinced to get treatment, after two years of this going on. When I got the FT card I was told it would be a key tool in our plans.

I quite literally had to be retrained how to do normality. Docs set up a skeletal routine, up and out at x time, home by y time, to aproximate the normal routine and retrain in the basics. Contrary to what you see on TV, while empathy is important, treating mental illness is not all about wallowing in what a victim you are it's about getting out of that mindset and shoving you back into normality in careful phases.

The idea is to get you out and force you to sit through your anxiety, realize the sky won't fall, repeat until it goes away. I'd get up at my old times, go to the gym, then get on DART / Bus x for x time (the idea was to get used to working a timetable again) and being out made you have an incentive to do your normal bathroom routines etc. The FT was an ENORMOUS help to breaking the self imposed isolation. They start you with nice simple tasks like get on the bus go to x and come home..see nothing terrible happened, your heart rate went down and the dizziness went away...now sitting at a desk doing some work between the arrival and home time no longer seems like such a big deal does it?
    "No...I kinda feel stupid now that I was that worried about it..." progress, and off you go to the next step.

It feels great when you start to make progress, for me it was the smell of refrigerator fluid in the delivery trucks in the morning air that made me remember "oh yeh...normality"...I remember this!. Then...that feeling is SHATTERED when you hear the bus driver, during the BE strike, on the radio complaining about abuse of the FT scheme which to my rage they were blaming on BE's financial woes, where he saw this passenger (who you realize with a jolt in your chest is you) just take the bus somewhere, ask when it was going back, have a cup of tea in the centre then turn around. You think oh god he's using my case as evidence of people just mucking around with it.

People don't understand that just because you look physically ok does not mean you are in perfect health (even with cancer you'd never know half the people have it with modern cosmetics, hair replacement, less invasive treatments..)

Oh you won't look like a mens health cover, but 99% of guys don't! The problem gets worse though, when you start to rapidly recover and you DO start to look like a mens health cover (if I do say so myself, and I do :cool: what? if your'e gonna rebuild may as well go all the way!) , where you are nearly there, ready to go back to work, socialize etc etc

You no longer have an iron defecency so you don't look pale as a sheet, you look lean and muscular not undernourished, you're clean shaven, using a moisturizer, actually wash and cut your hair, working out 4-5 days a week.

This multiplies the dirty looks 100 fold and snide comments you get from people about how "nothing wrong with him/you" and its so soul destroying. There you were, everyone told you to "pull the finger out" (a moronic phrase you hear on FM104 and 98FM about mental illness all the time spoken by cabbages who don't know what the f--k they're talking about, an anxiety attack can bring your heart rate up to 140 where you literally lock up and freeze), even the docs say "loose the mindset of being a sick person you'll never get back to normal that way, you have to do the normal things , normal grooming and dress, be up early etc". You do all that, it's hard, but you do it. Then your reward is increasingly snide comments when you use one of the tools at your disposal to get better. I've heard the "nothing wrong with him" whisper so many times I am starting to get paranoid thinking I may be hearing it when it's not actually said.

You see staff look carefully at the picture then up at you, you see the mild shake of the head, you know they're thinking "nothing wrong with him" - that he can see.. He sees a college age guy extremely physically fit with nice clothes bright eyes and clear skin. Heres what he couldn't see that was still going on even as I was recovering and looking way better:
    • {snip — sorry, have to remove this — don’t want to give people in a similar position ideas — moderator}
    • Night Terrors
    • Insomnia
    • Anxiety attacks
    • Crushing loneliness from being away from friends some of whom you were very close to, but too afraid to go back near them until this was sorted lest you cause them trouble with your emotional issues
    • Mortal terror at the idea of a relapse
    • Fear that even though you no longer want to die you might have already crossed the ireperable damage threshold with the drugs you took in your previous attempt to kill yourself which has you constantly checking your eyes in mirrors for yellow spots, looking at your legs for evidence of any swelling..

I got so embarrassed I asked the guy in the Connoly office for two blank student tickets, put them in the clear plastic pouch the pass is in on either side of the smart card, the cardboard won't stop the chip capturing, the idea was to conceal that I was using a card from people around me.

I dread when inspectors come on, in fact it makes them all the more interested in me because in their job they clearly notice anyone squriming thinking they're fare dodging. I hate it because in some of them I can feel what they are thinking. I see them on the platform and I immediatly start to pack my laptop or tablet away, zip up my jacket to hide any brand logos lest I feed into the idea that "these people" are living the high life on the public dime (the tablet & clothes was bought when I was working, laptop a gift, but of course people always assume you got them with your welfare cash)

Even when you do'n't say anything we can feel it. Go up to a dog all happy and ready to pet him you'll see him wag his tail and approach you. Try going up to him angry (inside) and he'll back off and bark at you, because he can feel it, people have that ability to , you can sense someones hostility, and when you are just following the rules and trying your best to do what everyone told you to do it undermines your confidence and humiliates you.

Yes I know there are annoying junkies on the red line, I know there are people who should not have them - don't take it out on the rest of us who are just trying to get our lives back, or (in seniors case) getting a small payback from society for a lifetime of contributions.

So spare a thought, I hope you make it to 66, any of you out there who have had this attitude (like I did), but if you don't and you're struck down with something in the mean time, a year from now I won't have a pass, and I'll see some of you with one and know what? I won't mind paying for you, because you paid for me when I needed it, that's how a social democracy is supposed to work, and give me that over the US model of "f--k you you're on your own" any day.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So you don't like being treated as a scammer but are going to keep your card now that you are earning?

Ever heard of the term "hoist by his own petard?'"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Stheno wrote: »
    So you don't like being treated as a scammer but are going to keep your card now that you are earning?

Ever heard of the term "hoist by his own petard?'"

Ah let him have it for a while. He's been through a lot.

@Op, if there's one thing I've learned in life it's that people generally are NOT thinking what you think they are thinking about you. You are projecting that onto them yourself

I read an article once that said a test was done were dog owners believed their dogs faces showed their mood. Computer imaging software proved there was no difference in the dogs expressions and choice of mood perceived was more reflective of the owners mood at the time. Human flaw.

You've been through a lot fair play. Shame you can't keep the pass but not having it will also crystallise your recovery. Welcome back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stheno wrote: »

He got the card 'cos he was entitled to it.

The rules say that he continues to be entitled to it for a while even after he's back working.

Absolutely no reason why he should not keep using it as long as the rules say he's entitled.

OP, welcome back to the world, I hope things work out for you. This is a country with more than it's fair share of begrudgerous a**holes - just keep remembering that when you meet them. You've had a good lesson in who your real friends are.

That said, I am going to report your post in a minute, 'cos I don't think that it's a good idea to share details of your death-scheme on the interwebz where other people who might not be bright enough to think of it themselves can find it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The rules say that he continues to be entitled to it for a while even after he's back working.

Absolutely no reason why he should not keep using it as long as the rules say he's entitled.

That's fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your clearly over thinking it op ,
    If your not happy about perceptions using the card ,don't use it and pay for tickets if your in a position financially it will save you some anxiety in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And there's the reason why people have issues with the free travel card. It's given out and not taken back quick enough.

But to be fair the biggest issue with the free travel card was the out and out abuse of the system by people giving their pass to others or just using fakes etc. The new smart cards will reduce this so most of those issues should be fixed shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I have a free travel card as I'm carer for a relative. He has a heart condition which means he can't walk very far, and a chronic back condition which means some days he can barely move. I've never encountered any problem, but OP seems to have had a rotten experience. As said before, very often people aren't thinking what you think they are thinking, but filthy looks are pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Hmm what's the scheme I wonder? I like hearing about scams.

Although your use of the pass is not and I encourage such use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe we should be directing our dirty looks at people using Leap cards wondering if they actually topped it up or found a way to defraud it with some elaborate system

I thought you could only keep it while in part time work as part of moving back to work and still in receipt of welfare payments, once in full time it's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

OP the Free Pass is designed for people such as yourself. Hold your head up high and don't worry what others might be thinking, I am sure they are not thinking anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Im quite impressed with the care you’ve recieved and how they work with you on a plan to establish a routine. Very informative post

Ditch the FM104 talk show, the chats are started by media students who are asked to troll and get everyone angry prompting lots of calls. You don’t need negative stuff like that in your life. I wish taxi drivers would stop listening too and they would be happier souls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have never had an issue with the holders of FTPs (members of my own family included), it is the implementation of the system I see as flawed. We offer a 5 star FTP programme to far too many people. Add this to under investment in the network and very generous staff remuneration and it is the paying customer that suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I have a free travel pass as I am a carer for my Mam... I think that you may be imagining a lot of the reactions and being a bit paranoid. It is easy to say, but you should not be worrying about what other people think anyway.
    I use my pass quite a bit and it is a life saver... I would never feel guilty about using it. Most people who complain about them are complaining about people abusing the system. You are not doing this.. you have been accessed and are entitled to the card. Use and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sometimes you can't help but think, "Get over yourself".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Personally i couldn't care who has one or why they have one but some treat it as the willy wonka golden ticket and thinks they don't have to queue or get a ticket and think they can bring friends shopping with it and even want to use it to go to London via the boat.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Personally i couldn't care who has one or why they have one but some treat it as the willy wonka golden ticket and thinks they don't have to queue or get a ticket and think they can bring friends shopping with it and even want to use it to go to London via the boat.

People with a travel companion pass can bring their friends shopping... none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Very few people in Ireland have any perception of the cost of scheme's such as the FTP (which incidentally,is NOT a Statutory Scheme),but a good baseline would be this....

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Annual-Tickets/CIE-All-Services-Irish-Rail-Dublin-Bus--Bus-Eireann/

€6,530 Per Anum,which does not include LUAS or other non-CIE group services.
    The total allocated funding for the FTS in 2016 was €77,112,000 which apparently covers the annual Free Travel Requirements of 873,454 FTP holders (excluding spouses/partners/companions)

It may not be Willy Wonka,but in comparison with most other juristictions,our National FTP stands head & shoulders above the rest.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AryaStark wrote: »
    People with a travel companion pass can bring their friends shopping... none of your business.

Calm down and read it again and see if i mentioned the companion pass.

Calm down and read it again and see if i mentioned the companion pass.

Then what did you mean.. you are complaining that people with travel pass want to bring their friends shopping. Unless they have a companion then their friends are paying so what is your point?

Then what did you mean.. you are complaining that people with travel pass want to bring their friends shopping. Unless they have a companion then their friends are paying so what is your point?

I didn't complain, the companion pass speaks for itself with the word companion being the main word there so it's a bit obvious and no need to include it unless i needed to.
    Just to make it easy for you, it's the personal card I'm on about.
    I've seen people trying to bring their kids on the spouse card claiming its their partner.

• Advertisement

I didn't complain, the companion pass speaks for itself with the word companion being the main word there so it's a bit obvious and no need to include it unless i needed to.
    Just to make it easy for you, it's the personal card I'm on about.
    I've seen people trying to bring their kids on the spouse card claiming its their partner.

They can try all they like but its not allowed so its not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t believe you remain entitled to a free travel pass when you return to work, that’s only the medical card as far as I understand

They can try all they like but its not allowed so its not a problem!

I know, that's my point. Some think it's a one card covers all instead of what's stated on the card. You also have the few that insists that they don't need to get a train ticket for that perticular journey when advised by station staff that they do. The line usually mentioned is "I have a pass, i don't need a ticket".

Gael23 wrote: »
    I don’t believe you remain entitled to a free travel pass when you return to work, that’s only the medical card as far as I understand

Would it depend on the amount earned? I knew a chap in a wheelchair that wasn't allowed one because of his earnings.

At the moment if you are receiving a disability payment and start work you can keep the pass for three years but this is going up to 5 years later this year.

This encourages people with a disability to join the workforce and I think that is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would it depend on the amount earned? I knew a chap in a wheelchair that wasn't allowed one because of his earnings.

That would be because he lost the Welfare payment that entitled him to the pass.

I know, that's my point. Some think it's a one card covers all instead of what's stated on the card. You also have the few that insists that they don't need to get a train ticket for that perticular journey when advised by station staff that they do. The line usually mentioned is "I have a pass, i don't need a ticket".

Some stations are unmanned so in that case FTP holders just enter the train without a ticket.

In fact all the barriers even at manned stations can be opened by placing the FTP on the barrier and it opens.

Why does it make any difference to you or anyone else whether an FTP holder asks for a free ticket at the ticket office or just gets on the train using the pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nomis21 wrote: »
    At the moment if you are receiving a disability payment and start work you can keep the pass for three years but this is going up to 5 years later this year.

This encourages people with a disability to join the workforce and I think that is a good thing.

BTWA scheme not a full time job outside of that remit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Stheno wrote:

Is this all you took from that wonderful post, I was enthralled reading it. Thank you to the OP for explaining the living nightmare anxiety, depression, cancer can cause and well done on your path to recovery, I for one do not deny you a free travel card, hope you continue on the path to full health and happiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It should be a simple case of if your no longer entitled to a welfare payment secondary benefits should be also withdrawn ,
    But that would mean someone in government making a real decision ,

Advertisement