Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people talking like US teenagers?

Options
  • 17-02-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭

Heard a Martin Kenny TD on the radio last week (never heard of him before) talking about something or other and noticed very clearly an American influence whereby he finishes his sentences with a question kind of tone?
    The way some Americans do? Especially teenagers?

I found this surprising as a debate in the Dail last year (where he said something like 'after I done a lot of research...') he showed no evidence of this frailty at all. Does Micheal Martin suffer the same?

Invariably if you listen to the radio or tv across the spectrum this kind of use of language is pervasive. Miriam O'Callaghan is particularly guilty here. Yet strangely in England I note it little used compared to here. What explains this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will and Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It happens in the UK, it was the influx of Australian soaps that were accused back then. The Aussies are far worse than anyone for this particular way of speaking.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

bobbyss wrote: »
    Heard a Martin Kenny TD on the radio last week (never heard of him before) talking about something or other and noticed very clearly an American influence whereby he finishes his sentences with a question kind of tone?
    The way some Americans do? Especially teenagers?

I found this surprising as a debate in the Dail last year (where he said something like 'after I done a lot of research...') he showed no evidence of this frailty at all. Does Micheal Martin suffer the same?

Invariably if you listen to the radio or tv across the spectrum this kind of use of language is pervasive. Miriam O'Callaghan is particularly guilty here. Yet strangely in England I note it little used compared to here. What explains this?

Martin Kenny was born in Leitrim thus accounting for the American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I really don't like the American influence on accents here, but my hatred is reserved especially for those who start a sentence with 'So...', and those who speak of past events in the present tense. Horrible bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Drive me mad on the train. Today it was so bad I was jumped up, and at the top of my voice roared ALRIGHT ALREADY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A guy I went to school with used often talk about the shopping cart, parking lot, the trunk and the sidewalk. He just watched to much American TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It happens in the UK, it was the influx of Australian soaps that were accused back then. The Aussies are far worse than anyone for this particular way of speaking.

Bloody flaming golahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's a girl on The Last Word on TodayFM who reviews TV or music or something, and she has a rising inflection at the end of every sentence.

Its hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I really don't like the American influence on accents here, but my hatred is reserved especially for those who start a sentence with 'So...', and those who speak of past events in the present tense. Horrible bastards.

So has been around for years in Hibernian English. As has using the present tense for past events for emphasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A guy I went to school with used often talk about the shopping cart, parking lot, the trunk and the sidewalk. He just watched to much American TV!

Was this high school ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Was this high school ?

Yes, he used also hate the commercials!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Like like like and like after every second word, holy ****e it's brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Our esteemed Minister for Financial Wreaktitude, Pastcal, does it when delivering practiced/prepared pieces. The inflection disappears when he deviates from the scripted presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's called Valley Girl Upspeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What-ever.......

.....I blame the J1 programme ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

'Sup Bro

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gino Kenny talks proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

One of my young lads does a bit of that. Like all his sentences finish in a raised tone that makes everything sound like a question. It's bad enough that they have a Dublin accent, but if they start getting yankee accents on top of it then I'll have to send them down to their cousins in Wexford for reeducatin'

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

A lot of Irish teenagers have slight American accents these days. It’s really grating.

And the use of “mom”. The only people I heard using that while growing up were people from Irish-speaking areas, as that’s what mother sounds like in Irish.

It’s definitely a result of too much American television.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t mind the teenagers sure they’re temporarily idiots ( I defy anyone to listen to Kourtney Kardashian speaking for 2 whole minutes)
    But I overheard a woman in her sixties use the expression “Sorry, my bad!” in Dunnes at the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Our esteemed Minister for Financial Wreaktitude, Pastcal, does it when delivering practiced/prepared pieces. The inflection disappears when he deviates from the scripted presentation.

Paschal has at least 2 speech impediments and to be honest I admire him for getting on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Prefer it to most Irish accents, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I work with a guy who uses the words sweater, sidewalk, gross, awesome etc.

He's 30 and from Sligo. Drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

It could be worse, we could be all talking with accents like minister for stepaside Shane Ross :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

You need to be more woke bae

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So many voices on Irish radio now aren't Irish accents.

Most of those girls for work for AA Roadwatch, feck knows what accents they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

whatever99 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish teenagers have slight American accents these days. It’s really grating.

And the use of “mom”. The only people I heard using that while growing up were people from Irish-speaking areas, as that’s what mother sounds like in Irish.

It’s definitely a result of too much American television.

Yeah I have only really noticed this with teenagers. My niece is 13 and has an American twang, as does her mates. It's a lot different to my bogger accent anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My friend's young fella (he's 11) sounds like he's been transplanted from California. It's quite pronounced, and in his case, definitely due to too many cartoons when he was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My young lad has autism and spends alot of time on his iPad watching YouTube videos all American kids on it. He's got an awful twang, calls a bin lorry a "garbage truck". The other day he asked me could we go to target?

Point is kids are picking it up all over the place. And they watching these brainless reality tv shows where the accents are much more pronounced than in movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

This is a particular bug bearer of mine: The uptalk at the end of a sentence. Mary Lou McDonald is terrible for it. It's clearly the influence of American television.

Also, can people stop saying Mom, cab, cops. Irritates me no end.

Advertisement