Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people talking like US teenagers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a very middle class northside accent...a Castleknock accent...and i call my mother mom!

Funny about different nationalities though...my cousin in Australia...when we were minding him my mother him not to be bold and put something in the press. He looked at her blankly until she changed the words to naughty and cupboard. Plus my grandfather got cautioned in Australia for asking for rooting powder for plants. Apparently means something different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think we're talking about the type of accent that Eoghan Murphy has. No one over the age of 50 talks like that.
    Looked that up. Personally I sound more like Brian O'Driscoll. Not sure if it's a different accent or not. I stand by my points regardless.

Think this thread is giving me a headache. I'll leave you with my final thought, which is that anger about other people's accents is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There are two US exchange students in my class and they have that really annoying raspy vocal try. Why any right minded person would want to sound like that is beyond me. I feel so overtly Irish around them and totally amp it up. Holybetajayustisyourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

Looked that up. Personally I sound more like Brian O'Driscoll.

Your whole point was that you felt it was an attack on middle class southsiders and now you're telling us that you talk like a middle class northsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Callan's pisstake of Varadkar and Eoghan Murphy is just perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Regarding middle class, a teacher of mine defined it as the class of people for whom going to college is regarded as automatic, so it's not regarded as up for discussion; college attendance is expected, as if it were a right and not a privilege. A middle class person expects to enter a non-manual professional job, such as the law, Civil Service, medicine, academia and/or private employment. A working class person does not automatically expect to get to third level, expects to get a manual job via an apprenticeship. It's all about expectations, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Your whole point was that you felt it was an attack on middle class southsiders and now you're telling us that you talk like a middle class northsider.

You can't be slagging middle class northsiders, they are a rare species unsure of their own place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

whatever99 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish teenagers have slight American accents these days. It’s really grating.

And the use of “mom”. The only people I heard using that while growing up were people from Irish-speaking areas, as that’s what mother sounds like in Irish.

It’s definitely a result of too much American television.

I don't know. Someone said Mary Lou McDonald speaks like this although I have not noticed that myself. I definitely heard Micheal Martin speak thus. Miriam yes.

But Mary Lou and Michael Martin are hardly sitting down to reruns of Friends or iCarly? Why are adults speaking like this? We can understand the young ones. They hopefully will grow out of it. But adults should have a bit of cop on about themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

bobbyss wrote: »
    I don't know. Someone said Mary Lou McDonald speaks like this although I have not noticed that myself. I definitely heard Micheal Martin speak thus. Miriam yes.

But Mary Lou and Michael Martin are hardly sitting down to reruns of Friends or iCarly? Why are adults speaking like this? We can understand the young ones. They hopefully will grow out of it. But adults should have a bit of cop on about themselves.

Mary Lou definitely speaks with the inflection at the end of a sentence. Just youtube some of her comments in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No they weren't. Are you saying your grandparents talk with a Mid-atlantic accent because I bet they don't.

It was certainly around at the beginning of RTE. In fact in general from listening to old programs I think Irish people enunciated better back then. The schools enforced it.

• Advertisement

By the way the American uptick has been replaced by the vocal fry, which is the lowest of the human registers and a fall off in the last sentence.

So low that the vocal cords barely move and it can sound like a bubble, or popping sound. When the Irish kids pick that up, it’s time to worry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

It was certainly around at the beginning of RTE. In fact in general from listening to old programs I think Irish people enunciated better back then. The schools enforced it.

The RTE accent was way more British sounding than whats happening now.

The RTE accent was way more British sounding than whats happening now.

Maybe but it was also what was then mid Atlantic accent. As in that accent was more British than American.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Haven't heard many Irish people say "mom", although I think this version always has been common in the North.

As far as I can hear Irish people use 'Mam' less than they used to. "Mum" seems to have become standard, as is notable from most advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I remember awhile ago there was that awful trend of people in Ireland adopting an antipodean intonation.
    Instead of flatly finishing a sentence, the tone was raised a bit at the end and sounded like a question.

Maybe but it was also what was then mid Atlantic accent. As in that accent was more British than American.

That's true. The younger generation are going way more American with it now though.

Every English speaker is going to end up speaking the same because of the internet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

It’s not just the inflection at the end of sentences that I’m talking about. It’s the American accents that are prevalent amongst (mainly) people younger than mid-20s. And I don’t live in Dublin, so it’s not just a version of the D4 accent. It’s cringey and extremely grating. I don’t think they’d sound American to Americans, but they certainly sound American to me. They come across as vacuous, reality tv-obsessed and as being heavily influenced by the Kardashians, for example.

A lot of my friends who have children are called “mom” by their children. When I was growing up in the 80s & 90s, everyone called their mother mam or mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I really don't like the American influence on accents here, but my hatred is reserved especially for those who start a sentence with 'So...', and those who speak of past events in the present tense. Horrible bastards.

This burns my ass.

"So it's Saturday afternoon and I'm driving to town...."

It's not it's fcuking wednesday and you're standing in front of me trying to tell me what you did last weekend you turd.

I also loathe those crappy phrases that have crept into the vernacular. Crap like "the wow factor", "my comfort zone", "I did a 180", etc.

Suck me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

whatever99 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish teenagers have slight American accents these days. It’s really grating.

And the use of “mom”. The only people I heard using that while growing up were people from Irish-speaking areas, as that’s what mother sounds like in Irish.

It’s definitely a result of too much American television.

How the fcuk does "Mo mhathair" sound like "Mom"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm happy to report that there is no sign of this in Co Louth. The Dundalk and Drogheda accents are thriving, as are the local accents elsewhere with their variations every five or ten miles. And listening to the three hurling pundits on the radio today, including John Mullane, local accents are in fine fettle down South as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Chrongen wrote: »
    How the fcuk does "Mo mhathair" sound like "Mom"?

I was talking about mamaí/mam.

Mamaí (or shortened to mam) is another way of saying mammy/mam in Irish, and it’s pronounced “mom”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Language tends to morph. Short of closing down the internet, banning non-Irish television programming, shutting down the international phone connections and banning foreign travel, our accents are inevitably going to change a bit.

In reality, Ireland's accents are actually clinging on pretty strongly considering the huge influence of US media on culture in English.

Chrongen wrote: »
    This burns my ass.

"So it's Saturday afternoon and I'm driving to town...."

It's not it's fcuking wednesday and you're standing in front of me trying to tell me what you did last weekend you turd.

I also loathe those crappy phrases that have crept into the vernacular. Crap like "the wow factor", "my comfort zone", "I did a 180", etc.

Suck me!

The historic present. Grammatically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Heard a lad say 'my bad' in a strong waterford accent one night. I started to blush and had to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Then there’s the use of that appalling American neologism “OK” for yes, or alright.

What does it even mean? What’s the O and K mean?

It's short for okie dokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

This is just bashing southside Dublin people. I'm from southside Dublin and am regularly taken to be American because my accent sounds that way to some people. (It doesn't sound that way to Americans though.) It's not an affectation or me imitating US TV shows. When I grew up we only had a few channels and the content was mainly English or Irish. It's just my accent, get over it.

People from higher status backgrounds have more geographically homogenous accents. People from poorer areas have more regional accents. It's not an American accent, it's a middle class accent some people associate with Americans. So really this boils down to reverse snobbery and bashing people because of where they're from.

You should have a posh English accent. Like Lord Ross of Stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A guy I went to school with used often talk about the shopping cart, parking lot, the trunk and the sidewalk. He just watched to much American TV!

Looks like he wasn't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Nothing new, Irish teenagers/20s especially girls have been speaking with this D4/Beverly hills accent for 20+ years now ..
    tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Has Wibbs posted yet?

Its a topic that rattles his cage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

A lot of people with a chip on the shoulder in this forum. South Dublin is awesome.

Advertisement