Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Bogwoppit wrote:
    So he is infinitely merciful, under certain conditions.

No, I didn't say that. Soppose you have a friend who did you serious harm. He does not apologise. You give him plenty of time to say sorry. He doesn't say it. One night you decide with your other friends to teach him a lesson. When he sees you coming with your group of friends to give him a hiding, and he yells out sorry to you, would you accept it? No, of course you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

For an all powerful god he certainly seems to operate under pretty tight constraints.

I would have thought that he could do anything he wants, from creating the universe to a flood. Seems like he just chooses to refuse entry to certain people, not because he has too.

And since none of us living can ever know what he does, allowing them into heaven has no negative consequences. Thus to believe he chooses that would seem to indicate a certain evil, or at least vindictive, on his part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

No, I didn't say that. Soppose you have a friend who did you serious harm. He does not apologise. You give him plenty of time to say sorry. He doesn't say it. One night you decide with your other friends to teach him a lesson. When he sees you coming with your group of friends to give him a hiding, and he yells out sorry to you, would you accept it? No, of course you wouldn't.
    Wow, you have a weird sense of the word merciful, an even weirder understanding of the word infinite.

Leroy42 wrote:
    I would have thought that he could do anything he wants, from creating the universe to a flood. Seems like he just chooses to refuse entry to certain people, not because he has too.

He has to refuse them, because they don't deserve to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Safehands wrote: »
    because scientifically, the bible does not hold up to any form of examination.

It's not science book, nor meant to be read as one, only anti-theists using exhausted and tired strawman arguments, and uneducated american evangelicals think it's supposed to be read like a literal science book. Traditional Christianity has never understood it as such. It's a varied library that uses many different genres and literacy techniques, and it concerns spirituality not physicality.

• Advertisement

Safehands wrote:
    Wow, you have a weird sense of the word merciful, an even weirder understanding of the word infinite.

I told you that now is the time to repent, in this life. How much time do you need? When you realise the situation after death, it is too late. Just like my friend who failed to say sorry, and only said it when he realised the gravity of his situation.

Yet again, another constraint.

He has too? He is apparently all powerful yet he is powerless in this respect.

What is the problem with them going to heaven? Is it your sense of fairness? Surely when everyone gets to heaven they will believe and thus be repentant

Leroy42 wrote:

He is not powerless. He sees this guy coming before Him, who is only now saying sorry because he is snookered. He will judge him accordingly, and I'm afraid the judgement will not be favourable to the client.

I told you that now is the time to repent, in this life. How much time do you need? When you realise the situation after death, it is too late. Just like my friend who failed to say sorry, and only said it when he realised the gravity of his situation.

I can safely say , I've never seen anyone try to drive people as far away from Christianity as possible with their posts. You're a dream for the anti-theists. You'll answer for every harsh word and person you drove away.

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Safehands wrote: »
    because scientifically, the bible does not hold up to any form of examination.

I always laugh when I see this strawman, that betrays a complete lack of understanding about the bible, it's not science book, nor meant to be read as one, only atheists and uneducated american evangelicals think it's supposed to be read like a literal science book. Traditional Christianity has never understood it as such. It's a varied library that utilises many different genres and literacy techniques and it concerns spirituality not physicality.

And yet it is used by many to degree that homosexuality is wrong, that eating meat on Friday was wrong, that divorce is wrong. For a book not concerned with physicality its believes sure like to use it to justify controlling peoples physical activities

• Advertisement

Bob_Marley wrote:
    I can safely say , I've never seen anyone try to drive people as far away from Christianity as possible with their posts. You're a dream for the anti-theists. You'll answer for every harsh word and person you drove away.

What I would like to say to say to you I cannot say, because I do not want to be barred from Boards. ie.

What I would like to say to say to you I cannot say, because I do not want to be barred from Boards. ie.

I can safely say, you'll never ever be barred from boards, you're a cliched dream come true for those who want Christianity to be seen in the worst possible light.

Leroy42 wrote:
    And yet it is used by many to degree that homosexuality is wrong, that eating meat on Friday was wrong, that divorce is wrong. For a book not concerned with physicality its believes sure like to use it to justify controlling peoples physical activities

Homosexuality is a sin that cries to the High Heavens for Vengence. You know of course, that homosexuals will never NEVER enter the Kingdom of God.

Leroy42 wrote:

He is not powerless. He sees this guy coming before Him, who is only now saying sorry because he is snookered. He will judge him accordingly, and I'm afraid the judgement will not be favourable to the client.

I keep asking and you keep ignoring the question. Why? Why does he need to judge them? What possible positive can come out of it.

We, less moral and sinful humans, in the main see justice as part punishment and part reforming.

Your god sees it only as punishment. There is no chance to reform. And partly to show others the consequences of similar actions.

I still don't understand why some people would be excluded as it cannot be to help others see their error as none of us ever know.

If, for example, you get to heaven and see that Hitler, Stalin, Poll Pot, paedophile priest etc are there would you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    I can safely say, you'll never ever be barred from boards, you're a cliched dream come true for those who want Christianity to be seen in the worst possible light.

Bob, Oweny is respectful at least. Not offensive in any way. I don't agree with him but I respect his right to hold those views. You could take a leaf from his book.

I'm sorry, Bob_Marley, but I have been suspended a few times, and I don't know how many more chances I am going to get.

Homosexuality is a sin that cries to the High Heavens for Vengence. You know of course, that homosexuals will never NEVER enter the Kingdom of God.

This is complete and utter lies.

Homosexuality is not a sin, homosexual acts are, and no sinner, hetro or homo enters heaven, and that includes you.

Bob_Marley wrote:
    Homosexuality is not a sin, homosexual acts are, and no sinner, hetro or homo enters heaven, and that includes you.

Did you ever hear of sodomy? It was the reason God wiped out the entire population before.

In the end times, men will sleep with men, and feel no shame.

Did you ever hear of sodomy? It was the reason God wiped out the entire population before.

Do you understand the very important difference between sexuality, and carrying out actual actual acts ?

Take the plank out of your own eye before you start lecturing people about their sins, all have sinned, sort your own out, instead of accusing others and casting stones.

• Advertisement

Homosexuality comes from within, not from without. As with a multitude of other failings. It is not a condition that you are born with. Do you think God would create someone with that condition? How could He, when He said homosexuals will not enter the Kingdom?

Homosexuality comes from within, not from without. As with a multitude of other failings. It is not a condition that you are born with. Do you think God would create someone with that condition? How could He, when He said homosexuals will not enter the Kingdom?

I always suspected you as a useful plant for anti-Christians, know I know for sure. And this thread has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Bob_Marley wrote:
    I always suspected you as a useful plant, know I know.

Thank you. Next please.

God would not create someone and then say he is barred from the Kingdom. How could He? Therefore, no one is born with homosexual leanings, it is an acquired condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You ignored my question. Pity. Anyway, why did God make them homosexual in the first place? God seems to have his favourites. Kids born into wealthy zealous Christian families get an easy ride into heaven. Others not so much.

God would not create someone and then say he is barred from the Kingdom. How could He? Therefore, no one is born with homosexual leanings, it is an acquired condition.

Yeah, no.

Yeah, no.

Yes No is a funny answer. What does it mean?

Yes No is a funny answer. What does it mean?

Sorry. You're wrong.

Sorry. You're wrong.

You are fully entitled to hold that position. However, even a brief study of Logic would enable you to see things differently.

• Advertisement

You are fully entitled to hold that position. However, even a brief study of Logic would enable you to see things differently.

on this he's right, you're wrong, and your complete lack of logic is embarrassing.

Advertisement