Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Look, the whole thing is a mystery. We don't understand mysteries. The flood happened in a mysterious way which we don't understand. We have to accept it by Faith. We could argue till the cows come home. Neither side has a monopoly about it. Just accept it that God worked in mysterious ways.

First off you have no evidence that the flood happened at all.
    So now you have made up a flood,based on a process you don't understand (thus made up).
    Next, why do you need to accept it by faith? Because there is no other way under which you can accept it. But do you accept that the pyramids were built by aliens?
    You aren't arguing, well you are but only in terms of making up claims and then complaining when others either question them or reject them.
    One side very much does have a monopoly on it. One side has proven that it didn't happen and couldn't happen (you have already acknowledge this). The other side have a story. And nothing else.
    Do you think Harry Potter should be treated in the same respect that is given to your religion?
    On what basis do you think God works in mysterious ways? What can you prove that he has done that shows that position to be correct? There is no examples, apart from your book, to show that the laws that we understand have been changed to create something mysterious. Give an example of God working in mysterious ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

robinph wrote: »
    But there is not one single bit of evidence to back up any of these claims in the slightest, other than what you have read in a book.

Exactly. I was responding to my old sparring partner JC, who says he is a scientist. Creationists believe that the Bible is the only evidence they require. Fair enough, I suppose. But when one of them claims to be a scientist, then he needs to be challenged, because scientifically, the bible does not hold up to any form of examination.

Good man, at least you have made a decision.

What decision have you made? You decided to belief in God? Surely that isn't a decision, belief is either something we do or not.
    Atheist don't 'decide' to not believe, they just don't. Do you think you could just decide to believe in a different God in the morning just because?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Do you think Harry Potter should be treated in the same respect that is given to your religion?

Was just thinking that Harry Potter had as much, if not more, evidence of actually happening than the bible myself. :D

I know you have no shred of evidence for God. He didn't enlighten you. I wonder why? We're you always a non believer? If so, I know why He didn't enlighten you.

No, I used to be a believing Catholic, so please tell me what you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I said if you were always a non believer I would know why.

I mean if you were never a believer, you were never destined to be one of God's children.

I mean if you were never a believer, you were never destined to be one of God's children.

You see Oweny, you seem to find it easy to accept certain things which make no sense to me. I suppose, in loads of ways, you are probably the lucky one. Blind faith can be very comforting. I have to see some evidence that the stories are real, otherwise they are just that, stories. The fact that you are on here indicates that you are prepared to discuss these issues without taking insult by people who don't agree with your views. I actually think it is wrong for people like me to try to knock people's faith and sincerely held beliefs, especially if they don't really enjoy the debate. You and people like JC are obviously up for it. That's what makes these discussions so interesting and enjoyable.

Hi Safehands, and thanks for your comments. But when you read the parable of the sower and the seed, you begin to understand what I am saying. When it comes to the end, God searches into the deepest recesses of your soul, and if He finds even the smallest spark, where even once you prayed to Him in a difficult situation, He will fan that spark into a flame, where it will burn into a mighty fire. This is the Holy Spirit.
    He will not leave you bereft, the reason being, that you prayed even once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hi Safehands, and thanks for your comments. But when you read the parable of the sower and the seed, you begin to understand what I am saying. When it comes to the end, God searches into the deepest recesses of your soul, and if He finds even the smallest spark, where even once you prayed to Him in a difficult situation, He will fan that spark into a flame, where it will burn into a mighty fire. This is the Holy Spirit.
    He will not leave you bereft, the reason being, that you prayed even once.

So if you prayed to him once then you won't go to hell? Excellent.

• Advertisement

So if you prayed to him once then you won't go to hell? Excellent.

Yes, because He is infinitely merciful, and if you prayed with sincere intent, He does not forget it. Of course, when you know this, you will amend your life.

Yes, because He is infinitely merciful, and if you prayed with sincere intent, He does not forget it. Of course, when you know this, you will amend your life.

I'm happy with all of that except for the amend bit. That ship has sailed.

I'm happy with all of that except for the amend bit. That ship has sailed.

That's unfortunate.

That's unfortunate.

Yeah. No regrets though.

Yeah. No regrets though.

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So what of tribes in brazilian rain forests who have never seen a white man never mind heard of tour "god"? Are they destined to burn in "hell"?

So what of tribes in brazilian rain forests who have never seen a white man never mind heard of tour "god"? Are they destined to burn in "hell"?

No, because they have never heard of Jesus Christ, they are not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

By that logic should we not stop telling kids about JC?
    Keep it all a secret, nodoby’s guilty anymore! Yay!!

Ah yes. This is where we will have to disagree. Infinitely merciful you say.... now. But a few posts back you were saying that people broke his commandments, he gave them a few chances, then wiped them out, killed them all, children and all. Now here is where I have a problem Oweny. That is nowhere close to being infinitely merciful, is it? Or is that just a term you are using without meaning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thats not what you said though!

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote:
    By that logic should we not stop telling kids about JC? Keep it all a secret, nodoby’s guilty anymore! Yay!!

I told you that they never heard of Jesus Christ. Therefore they are not guilty. In the case you mention, you will be held responsible for not teaching your children about Him.

There is a vast difference between someone who never heard of Jesus Christ, and someone who has heard and does not believe.

Aren't we all God's children?

There is a vast difference between someone who never heard of Jesus Christ, and someone who has heard and does not believe.

At what age will God let you off for not believing in him? Say a child is raised a Catholic until aged 3? 6? 9? 12? 15? and then stops believing? When would they be OK.?

How much instruction must you have been given before God decides you have heard of him?

What constitutes belief in order to qualify for salvation - strict adherence to every single tenet of the Bible? 75% adherence? 50%? 25%?

When Christ returns, He comes as merciful Judge. Let them two words sink in. MERCIFUL and JUDGE. He is fully and completely merciful, if you show the least spark of repentence. He is a judge, because He cannot allow an unrepentant person to enter His Kingdom. After all, it would be most unfair to those people who did repent.

I told you that they never heard of Jesus Christ. Therefore they are not guilty. In the case you mention, you will be held responsible for not teaching your children about Him.

It would be very altruistic for us all to sacrifice ourselves to hell by not teaching children about JC. They’d all be innocent and all future generations likewise.
    Being so altruistic may even be enough to get us to heaven too!

When Christ returns, He comes as merciful Judge. Let them two words sink in. He is fully and completely merciful, if you show the least spark of repentence. He is a judge, because He cannot allow an unrepentant person to enter His Kingdom. After all, it would be most unfair to those people who did repent.

So do we agree then, he is not actually infinitely merciful. He is conditionally mercifull, agreed?

Safehands wrote:
    So do we agree then, he is not actually infinitely merciful. He is conditionally mercifull, agreed?

No. Like any judge, He weighs up the pros and cons, and comes to a correct decision. He can do no else. If you die unrepentant, you do not enter His Kingdom. After all, you have decided you want nothing to do with Him. You cannot get in. It is too late after death, when you realise the position. Your chance is now, in this life.

No. Like any judge, He weighs up the pros and cons, and comes to a correct decision. He can do no else. If you die unrepentant, you do not enter His Kingdom. After all, you have decided you want nothing to do with Him. You cannot get in. It is too late after death, when you realise the position. Your chance is now, in this life.

So he is infinitely merciful, under certain conditions.

• Advertisement

Ok, fair enough. So don't be using terms like "infinitely merciful" because, according to the facts you have outlined, he is absolutely not.
    See, this is a problem for me Oweny, guys like you keep using terms which are completely and obviously untrue.

Advertisement