Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on Tory Island...

Options
  • 09-02-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/tory-island-ferry-row-2-3841581-Feb2018/

Seems crazy to give the contract to someone with such an old boat.

The ferry is the lifeline for everyone who lives on Tory. Seas can be treacherous at the best of times around Tory and the operator who had the contract for the last five years did a good job and was well respected by the people of the island.

Also seems to me that the Government were only concerned with the price and not so much about the welfare and safety of the islanders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They want the residents all back on the mainland.

It costs a lot to deliver the ballot boxes to these places. Boats, boxes, Gardai. Not to mind when someone gets sick, or the place runs out of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it would make a good prison , just catapult bags of spuds over every so often.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

They want the residents all back on the mainland.

It costs a lot to deliver the ballot boxes to these places. Boats, boxes, Gardai. Not to mind when someone gets sick, or the place runs out of Guinness.

Everyone should live in Dublin. That's where all the stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nomis21 wrote: »

The ferry is the lifeline for everyone who lives on Tory. Seas can be treacherous at the best of times around Tory and the operator who had the contract for the last five years did a good job and was well respected by the people of the island.

Also seems to me that the Government were only concerned with the price and not so much about the welfare and safety of the islanders
    Does it make a difference? Have there been seismic shifts in the way the we build boats since 1976?

A quick search suggests that particular boat has recently undergone a pretty big refurb.

Boats are generally designed for longevity, it's not unusual to see them in operation for 50 years or more.

So the age of the boat alone shouldn't be an issue. If she's seaworthy and is equipped with modern safety and navigation equipment, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

The Tories don't deserve any better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I thought this thread was going to be about Brexit

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm confused as to this "threat" to leave the island unless the existing ferry is reinstated. Let them leave, what's the problem?

I do realise that the islanders have their own way of life and living, and are probably happy with their surroundings.

But looking it up there it is surely isolated alright. And it doesn't have the same draw as the Aran Islands either where outsiders visit every day.

I would hate it. I wonder how many twenty somethings live there and enjoy the isolation. Maybe some do.

Anyway, unless there is a Garda Station on the island the pubs probably never close. That might keep them sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I sometimes think that subsidized areas can just receive whatever tax they pay and be told to run a boat service road service guard service and all other services and subsidies out of it. They may even cheer for a certain gaa club they all boo to get their creeky boat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is there evidence that the ferry is unsafe?

If it meets or exceeds all that is looked for in the lines of surveys/inspections etc, I don't see what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

seamus wrote: »
    Does it make a difference? Have there been seismic shifts in the way the we build boats since 1976?

A quick search suggests that particular boat has recently undergone a pretty big refurb.

Boats are generally designed for longevity, it's not unusual to see them in operation for 50 years or more.

So the age of the boat alone shouldn't be an issue. If she's seaworthy and is equipped with modern safety and navigation equipment, what's the problem?

Well they currently have one 20 years newer that they seem happy with so they may ask why something so critical to safety and life on the island is being made worse.

However there may be more to this. For example the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

For reference...

Queen of Aran:

showphoto.aspx?photoid=2266450

Tormór (the current ferry):

showphoto.aspx?photoid=2701026

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I blame this little bollox.

_39399648_tory_boy203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Well they currently have one 20 years newer that they seem happy with so they may ask why something so critical to safety and life on the island is being made worse.
    Is it being made worse though?

Humans have been building boats for thousands of year, so we've gotten pretty good at it. The underlying methods and technology for creating a boat haven't changed in 20 years, so there's nothing to say that a newer boat is actually better. It comes down to which one was last overhauled. Once the hull is solid, everything inside the hull is just decoration.
    However there may be more to this. For example the current boat owner may simply be enlisting family and friends to support his position after he lost the tender.
    True, true. Could easily just be a "we don't like change!" complaint from locals who've gotten friendly with the last captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fair play to them, hopefully they get a resolution that meets their needs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I’ve been on both these boats in the past couple of years. They’re both equally shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Was the Titanic a ferry to Tory island too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

They need a boat built for the worst weather, not something that can "make the crossing".
    I'm not a fan of the government splashing the cash, but here I'll make an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Nomis21 wrote: »

Fine Gael are only concerned about the greater Dublin Area , if they could get rid of the islands boat altogether the money could go towards some rugby pitch in a South Dublin school ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Was the Titanic a ferry to Tory island too ?
    it was ya , that's why they they didn't expect the iceberg

id say there's more to this that meets the eye.
    however every nut and bolt on that ferry will be inspect and any flaws in the vessel will have to be put right and her stability will be checked . After that she will be passed fit for purpose or not . If its passed fit for purpose it will be interesting to see what the natives have to say then

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Fit for purpose like the school bus in Clare this week?
    http://www.clare.fm/news/gardai-seize-clare-school-bus-badly-worn-tires-rust/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The British island of Lundy is served by a much older ferry, the MS Oldenburg. Built way back in 1958

Grand yoke. I never liked the idea of condemning a machine just because it's old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

diomed wrote: »
    They need a boat built for the worst weather, not something that can "make the crossing".
    I'm not a fan of the government splashing the cash, but here I'll make an exception.
    a boat built to stick the worst weather up there , most people would not want to be aboard it in that weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

loyatemu wrote: »
    For reference...

Queen of Aran:

showphoto.aspx?photoid=2266450

Tormór (the current ferry):

showphoto.aspx?photoid=2701026

Admittedly iv no clue about boats/ferry’s/ships but the new one looks a bit of a sh1tbox compared to the current one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

hurler32 wrote: »
    Fine Gael are only concerned about the greater Dublin Area , if they could get rid of the islands boat altogether the money could go towards some rugby pitch in a South Dublin school ...

I’d be more inclined to make up a story that the politicians brother owns the ferry and leases it to the island for 60 million a day than make up a story that says they are spending the money tax payers in south dublin pay on a south dublin project.
    How about we introduce an island tax for Islanders by household to pay for boats and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Big money spent on Cape Clear down here on a new pier /pontoons and deservedly so.Tory should get a decent ferry service too.We need to maintain our offshore communities who have rich traditions and heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

hurler32 wrote: »

Is that cos of their leadership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

sjb25 wrote: »
    Admittedly iv no clue about boats/ferry’s/ships but the new one looks a bit of a sh1tbox compared to the current one

The new one looks like an upgraded fishing trawler.
    I think the islanders are perfectly right. Its taking a step backwards in commissioning an older boat to do the journey. I think a new one should be built.

• Advertisement

downwesht wrote: »
    Big money spent on Cape Clear down here on a new pier /pontoons and deservedly so.Tory should get a decent ferry service too.We need to maintain our offshore communities who have rich traditions and heritage.

Insular point. Very few people go to Tory in reality.

Aran Islands and CapeClear. fine. but that place up there along with Rathlin Island is really off the beaten track.

It is for a certain cohort of visitors for sure, and many people just do not have the time in their itinerary to include these offshore islands.

But good luck to them. It is not for me and never will be.

Advertisement