Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only island to open off Finnish coast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh right it's fine if it's for religious reasons. As long as you have some 'sensible' criteria to segregate it's completely different. :rolleyes:

I have no problem if certain things are limited to one gender as long it doesn't limit the options for all. For example golf club limiting membership to men is fine if there are plenty of clubs around which don't. However I very much dislike using double standards and even more ridiculous is complaining about double standards and then excusing exactly the same double standards when another example is given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What point were you making here then:

You appear to be lumping highly-skilled jobs in with unskilled as jobs that women don't want to do because they are undesirable. There is a gender imbalance in those professions but those trades pay much more than many not-particularly-desirable office jobs that are mostly filled by women (reception, clerical, switchboard etc.). So what WAS your point there? Maybe you could elaborate instead of dispensing patronising terms-of-endearment? Doing so betrays irritation at someone questioning your point.

You appear to be spectacularly missing my point. I was explaining that these wailing banshee feminists are only ever heard screeching about women being misrepresented in the pinnacle of the workplace i.e. Politics and CEO rather than normal, run of the mill jobs like the ones I mentioned.

You’ve only shown up your own preconceptions/snootiness by seeing them as undesirable/low class jobs. Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You’ve only shown up your own preconceptions/snootiness by seeing them as undesirable/low class jobs. Good job.

Nope, that was alllll you. I’m not missing your point. You just haven’t made a very good one. You trotted out a superficial, trite argument that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny then fell back on undermining, patronisations terms when challenged on it. There’s not much to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh right it's fine if it's for religious reasons. As long as you have some 'sensible' criteria to segregate it's completely different. :rolleyes:

I have no problem if certain things are limited to one gender as long it doesn't limit the options for all. For example golf club limiting membership to men is fine if there are plenty of clubs around which don't. However I very much dislike using double standards and even more ridiculous is complaining about double standards and then excusing exactly the same double standards when another example is given.

Who said it's fine? The poster mentioned this island and I showed that it's a completely different scenario to the one at hand.
    Should women be allowed on that island? Sure.
    You seem to want to be offended for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I wonder would it be possible to open a chemist there? Surely headache tablet sales would be through the roof!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nope, that was alllll you. I’m not missing your point. You just haven’t made a very good one. You trotted out a superficial, trite argument that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny then fell back on undermining, patronisations terms when challenged on it. There’s not much to get.

If that helps you sleep at night. Keep up the good fight sister.

bear1 wrote: »
    Who said it's fine? The poster mentioned this island and I showed that it's a completely different scenario to the one at hand.
    Should women be allowed on that island? Sure.
    You seem to want to be offended for some reason though.
    I never said women should be allowed to the island. I said doing something in the name of the religion or tradition doesn't make it any less bs.

I'm not offended but the stupidity of some arguments annoys me. There is so much gender related bs and people trying to make themselves victims of discrimination and ironically here it's mostly right wing snowflakes who drag out every nonsense story from the web to prove how hard done men are. Man up, grow up and stop whinging, you are not the victims of anything except of maybe having too much time.

I never said women should be allowed to the island. I said doing something in the name of the religion or tradition doesn't make it any less bs.

I'm not offended but the stupidity of some arguments annoys me. There is so much gender related bs and people trying to make themselves victims of discrimination and ironically here it's mostly right wing snowflakes who drag out every nonsense story from the web to prove how hard done men are. Man up, grow up and stop whinging, you are not the victims of anything except of maybe having too much time.

Again, yes it's nonsense to use religion to segregate one gender from the other.
    I think you've a completely obtuse way of looking at things tbh and calling people right wing snowflakes just shows that.
    This isn't a story at all of how hard done men are, this is a story of the hypocrisy of it all.
    Btw, this goes for both men and women. Banning one specific gender from interacting with the other is beyond medieval but it happens and, to me at the least, it appears that as of recent women complain much more about discrimination they suffer at the hands of men but yet go and pull a stunt such as this.
    This isn't getting offended or annoyed (at least I'm not) but I can't see how going ahead with this mindset solves any issues at all.
    And yes, men can be hard done by in some case but not all.
    Funny how you say we've too much time on our hands but yet here you are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...right wing snowflakes
    ...Man up
    ...stop whinging
    BINGO!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think the arguments on both sides are ridiculous.

Are we now saying that men and women shouldn't be allowed to spend time together with just their own sex?

What about mens' sheds? ICWA? Don't see any complaining about them?

I don't like the premise that your woman set it up on though, that if men were around the women would put lippy on? WTF? What if they're lesbians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

pilly wrote: »
    I think the arguments on both sides are ridiculous.

Are we now saying that men and women shouldn't be allowed to spend time together with just their own sex?

What about mens' sheds? ICWA? Don't see any complaining about them?

I don't like the premise that your woman set it up on though, that if men were around the women would put lippy on? WTF? What if they're lesbians?
    In regards to the men’s club things - wasn’t there in a news bit a few moths back in limerick a men’s church group were forced to disband or something like that

What I don’t get is the hypocracy of feminists getting in uproar about men only things happening like that and then go around doing stuff like women only things and calling you ‘alt right’ or what ever if some male raises a peep

I don’t care either way but the hypocrisy of certain types of feminist is irksome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

pilly wrote: »

They'd be provided with complimentary chapstick on arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zulu wrote:
    Could an organisation not be hypocritical; a party; a society without the "very person" being involved?

...something something hivemind.

You would actually need to subscribe to the hivemind idea for this to be the case. And you would need to take responsibility for other men if you're going to make all women responsible for some women.

Obviously this isn't the case but I don't expect you to acknowledge that because it would strip the pretence and show this thread to be naked nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

In regards to the men’s club things - wasn’t there in a news bit a few moths back in limerick a men’s church group were forced to disband or something like that

What I don’t get is the hypocracy of feminists getting in uproar about men only things happening like that and then go around doing stuff like women only things and calling you ‘alt right’ or what ever if some male raises a peep

I don’t care either way but the hypocrisy of certain types of feminist is irksome

Yeah you're right about the church group actually. I don't think they were forced to disband though, I think they didn't have the numbers anymore.

I just don't get this tit for tat that's going on. I'd say there's more threads here on boards about so called feminism and anti-feminists.

I've no problem with men and women doing things separately, don't know why people just can't leave each other alone.

FWIW though I have NEVER heard anyone complain about mens sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zulu wrote:
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a victim.

Don't you ever get sick of misrepresenting posters and being deliberately disingenuous?

It's not that I don't enjoy your insults but do you have anything to say about the tread topic or are you fixated on me?

Btw, this goes for both men and women. Banning one specific gender from interacting with the other is beyond medieval but it happens and, to me at the least, it appears that as of recent women complain much more about discrimination they suffer at the hands of men but yet go and pull a stunt such as this.
    Please explain who are the women who complain about discrimination and pull the stunt like this? One yoga nut trying to organize female only cooking classes on her island is hardly a representative of 'women'... Give me a break, I have better things to be outraged about, not because it's woman stuff but because it's a non story.

Please explain who are the women who complain about discrimination and pull the stunt like this? One yoga nut trying to organize female only cooking classes on her island is hardly a representative of 'women'... Give me a break, I have better things to be outraged about, not because it's woman stuff but because it's a non story.

Sigh, must they both be intertwined? If you believe it to be a non story then I fail to see why you are still posting in this thread.
    As I'm at work and I'm not going to go through article after article, I think a good example of the things circulating within the media as of late is in the thread with the psychologist being interviewed by a newsreader.
    Why you are getting so outraged about this I don't know but I don't see any need for it.
    If you think I or anyone else is wrong then maybe explain why, give sources what have you instead of calling people snowflakes or whingers.
    Especially since you are whinging that people are whinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Is it just me or does anyone else get a mental image of naked blonde babes prancing around in saunas and swimming in baltic lakes? OK just me then ...

actually the whole thread is nothing more than the whimpering voice of a male boy child demanding
    They can't have it! They caaan't have it! It's not faaaaaayur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You do realise that for the vast vast majority of men, these CEO / high exec jobs are closed off too? The average woman now have a much better shot at them than the average man with gender quotas and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

koumi wrote: »
    actually the whole thread is nothing more than the whimpering voice of a male boy child demanding
    They can't have it! They caaan't have it! It's not faaaaaayur

:)

Your post is nothing more than the whimpering voice of a snowflake claiming "the whole thread is full of man-babies, maaaaan-baaabies, and they're so stuuuupiiiiid!"

You lose points for not mentioning "40 year old" and "mothers basement"

Also, "male boy child"? :D Couldn't you have just said "boy"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

professore wrote: »
    You do realise that for the vast vast majority of men, these CEO / high exec jobs are closed off too? The average woman now have a much better shot at them than the average man with gender quotas and all that.

Of course they are closed off to most people. I haven’t mentioned a thing about gender quotas. I was taking about yer man’s asinine point about less desirable jobs.

But to expand on your post, seeing as most CEO jobs are still filled by men and the gender split of the population is roughly 50/50 in most countries, what you say isn’t true, demonstrably. Quite literally, men still have a better shot at those high-level roles for whatever reason. I don’t believe in gender quotas personally and I’m all for meritocracy. So I think the best thing to do is examine WHY the gender split isn’t 50/50. The reasons will be many and complex. But even if gender quotas were brought in, it would do no more than equalise the “shot”. If the quota was 50/50 and the gender splits that way, it’s impossible for either gender to have more of a shot. Just isn’t mathematically possible.

Sigh, must they both be intertwined? If you believe it to be a non story then I fail to see why you are still posting in this thread.
    As I'm at work and I'm not going to go through article after article, I think a good example of the things circulating within the media as of late is in the thread with the psychologist being interviewed by a newsreader.
    Why you are getting so outraged about this I don't know but I don't see any need for it.
    If you think I or anyone else is wrong then maybe explain why, give sources what have you instead of calling people snowflakes or whingers.
    Especially since you are whinging that people are whinging.

I don't like term snowflake but it's thrown around so much and I just wanted to make a point the side that loves to use it is exactly the same and outraged about any bs story. I was giggling at childish (in a good way) jokes on first few pages and then usual gender outrage started and it's just exhausting.

As for that interview I really don't know what issue should I have with it. I thought it was fine, Jordan B. Peterson was very good and I'm certainly not going to read the thread on boards about it. I don't know how is that interview relevant, it was two opposite views presented which I would assume is a good thing.

Edit: just to add another thing that annoys me in this thread is that some don't understand how most basic statistics work.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    :)

Your post is nothing more than the whimpering voice of a snowflake claiming "the whole thread is full of man-babies, maaaaan-baaabies, and they're so stuuuupiiiiid!"

You lose points for not mentioning "40 year old" and "mothers basement"

Also, "male boy child"? :D Couldn't you have just said "boy"?

They can't have it, They cant!, It's not FFFFFFFFFFFFaaaaaauuuuuYYYYYYYYUUUUUURR is about as intelligent a response as I can muster for them boy childs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

professore wrote: »

I do love that argument though.

There are approx 3.5 billion human males on the planet and 93 of those are CEOs of FTSE top 100 companies.

There are approx 3.5 billion human females on the planet and only 7 of them are CEOs of FTSE 100 companies.

So 0.000003% of men are CEOs of top companies.
    And 0.0000002% of women are CEOs of top companies.

Wow. If I were a man then I'd be so grateful that society has granted me this incredible privilege!

Ladies, imagine having a one in 37.6 million chance of being the CEO of a FTSE top 100 company! THAT is real privilege.

its not fayur

I don't like term snowflake but it's thrown around so much and I just wanted to make a point the side that loves to use it is exactly the same and outraged about any bs story. I was giggling at childish (in a good way) jokes on first few pages and then usual gender outrage started and it's just exhausting.

As for that interview I really don't know what issue should I have with it. I thought it was fine, Jordan B. Peterson was very good and I'm certainly not going to read the thread on boards about it. I don't know how is that interview relevant, it was two opposite views presented which I would assume is a good thing.

Well, if you read through you will see that there was no outrage from me whatsoever, if anything I'm simply surprised at the entire idea.
    The interview point was cause I couldn't start searching the net for feminist vs men stories so instead used (perhaps more thought from myself should have gone into that point) that the sheer anger that seems prevalent towards men is quite alarming by the extremes.
    Feminism argues that both men and women should be equal but yet this sort of idea goes against the main idea of feminism hence it turns into hypocrisy.
    A poster mentioned repeatedly the Portmarnock golf course but they are not the same.
    Then another poster mentioned an island where for 1 day a year 200 pre-selected men get bollock naked and swim with 0 women allowed.
    To me these are not examples that can be compared.
    If there was an island that was open all year round, had male only activities and women were not allowed to go there because a man said that when men go out women look at us then I'd also think it's a stupid idea.
    When you are then called a snowflake and a whinger though cause posters disagree with you then you just lose the interest in continuing in what otherwise is/could be an interesting debate.

I agree with you about the statistics though, 50/50 this and that is just pointless.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I do love that argument though.

There are approx 3.5 billion human males on the planet and 93 of those are CEOs of FTSE top 100 companies.

There are approx 3.5 billion human females on the planet and only 7 of them are CEOs of FTSE 100 companies.

So 0.000003% of men are CEOs of top companies.
    And 0.0000002% of women are CEOs of top companies.

Wow. If I were a man then I'd be so grateful that society has granted me this incredible privilege!

Ladies, imagine having a one in 37.6 million chance of being the CEO of a FTSE top 100 company! THAT is real privilege.

Please God if you are going to quote figures like this could you at least back them up?

*stomps feet*

• Advertisement

Well, if you read through you will see that there was no outrage from me whatsoever, if anything I'm simply surprised at the entire idea.
    The interview point was cause I couldn't start searching the net for feminist vs men stories so instead used (perhaps more thought from myself should have gone into that point) that the sheer anger that seems prevalent towards men is quite alarming by the extremes.
    Feminism argues that both men and women should be equal but yet this sort of idea goes against the main idea of feminism hence it turns into hypocrisy.
    A poster mentioned repeatedly the Portmarnock golf course but they are not the same.
    Then another poster mentioned an island where for 1 day a year 200 pre-selected men get bollock naked and swim with 0 women allowed.
    To me these are not examples that can be compared.
    If there was an island that was open all year round, had male only activities and women were not allowed to go there because a man said that when men go out women look at us then I'd also think it's a stupid idea.
    When you are then called a snowflake and a whinger though cause posters disagree with you then you just lose the interest in continuing in what otherwise is/could be an interesting debate.

I agree with you about the statistics though, 50/50 this and that is just pointless.
    You are preoccupied with men vs. women debates, I am just sick of them. I think I'll wrap up this.

Advertisement