Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only island to open off Finnish coast.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Maybe previously, but there are plenty of men in all of those jobs nowadays. I work in a health service. Our sector has about a 60:40 split in female/male nurses, and the numbers are rising year on year. Both this year and last there were more male students than female in the classes that came on placements throughout the year. The majority of cleaners I see around the various sites I work in tend to be eastern european males too.

I don't recall ever seeing a single female brickie/sparks/chippie or labourer on any site i've been on, passed by, or worked on. I've never seen a female binperson, never seen a female council labourer.

Some of the “male” examples you gave there are not dead-end jobs. Many of the trades (skilled positions) will pay much more than many offices jobs. So, I dunno, why DO you think women aren’t going for those skilled jobs? What is your issue here? That women go for jobs in warmer establishments? Even if they are soul-destroying and crappily paid? You’re actually being a snobbish towards trades here like “look at these **** jobs women won’t do!”. Which would YOU rather be, a builder or a long-term receptionist? One’s in a warm place, one isn’t. That’s not necessarily the best criteria to judge.

Maybe, just maybe like the gender pay gap issue, the reasons why women generally don’t do trades are as complex an issue that can’t be reduced to soundbites.

As for binmen, as I’ve pointed out, plenty of women do dirty, unglamorous, deadend work. Is it not the right kind of dirty, deadend work to fit your theory though?

• Site Banned Posts: 21 jeffy jefferies

Maybe previously, but there are plenty of men in all of those jobs nowadays. I work in a health service. Our sector has about a 60:40 split in female/male nurses, and the numbers are rising year on year. Both this year and last there were more male students than female in the classes that came on placements throughout the year. The majority of cleaners I see around the various sites I work in tend to be eastern european males too.

I don't recall ever seeing a single female brickie/sparks/chippie or labourer on any site i've been on, passed by, or worked on. I've never seen a female binperson, never seen a female council labourer.

One of the neighbours was doing renovations before Christmas (windows, insulation, heating, etc), I was surprised to see that one of the labourers was female.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Will trans women (not realigned) be allowed in?

That's what could happen here with women/men only spaces under self ID for gender. Obv it would be non realigned trans men in the golf clubs.

Watch this space.

Finland don't have self ID laws and require a doctors assessment to begin even just the legal process of transitioning such as changing your name so probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

that's called a country club right?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night worrying about the devastating impact this Finnish island has on my life.

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night worrying about the devastating impact this Finnish island has on my life.

I guess this is an attempt at sarcasm, I wonder why women get so worked up about men only golf clubs etc. Must be hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I guess this is an attempt at sarcasm, I wonder why women get so worked up about men only golf clubs etc. Must be hormones.

There are no threads about men only golf clubs on Boards. There are countless whingefests about feminazis and other nonsense how unfair world is to men. I think you might want to check your own hormonal imbalances.

meeeeh wrote: »
    There are no threads about men only golf clubs on Boards. There are countless whingefests about feminazis and other nonsense how unfair world is to men. I think you might want to check your own hormonal imbalances.

Who said I was referring to boards?

• Advertisement

Who said I was referring to boards?

You mean you are trawling Twitter for hours to find something that offends you. Well enjoy then.

You mean you are trawling Twitter for hours to find something that offends you. Well enjoy then.

No, I just need to follow mainsteam media for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Some of the “male” examples you gave there are not dead-end jobs. Many of the trades (skilled positions) will pay much more than many offices jobs. So, I dunno, why DO you think women aren’t going for those skilled jobs? What is your issue here? That women go for jobs in warmer establishments? Even if they are soul-destroying and crappily paid? You’re actually being a snobbish towards trades here like “look at these **** jobs women won’t do!”. Which would YOU rather be, a builder or a long-term receptionist? One’s in a warm place, one isn’t. That’s not necessarily the best criteria to judge.

Maybe, just maybe like the gender pay gap issue, the reasons why women generally don’t do trades are as complex an issue that can’t be reduced to soundbites.

As for binmen, as I’ve pointed out, plenty of women do dirty, unglamorous, deadend work. Is it not the right kind of dirty, deadend work to fit your theory though?

Calm down dear. I merely was pointing out that there is a gender gap in plenty of other jobs, other than CEO and politician which are the two that seem to have the equality brigade in full shrieking whinge.

Calm down dear. I merely was pointing out that there is a gender gap in plenty of other jobs, other than CEO and politician which are the two that seem to have the equality brigade in full shrieking whinge.

Oh yes because job if a bin man is equally desirable and influential as being a politician or CEO. Any more pearls of wisdom?

Calm down dear.

Oh for gawd's sake. My post was reasoned. And not hysterical. A weak response from you and very telling. Come on, use your words. Don't reach for weak-handshaked patronisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

There are no threads about men only golf clubs on Boards. ...
    Really? Do you want to reconsider that?

Zulu wrote: »
    Really? Do you want to reconsider that?

I presume she means currently? I'm sure there was one back in the day.

Oh yes because job if a bin man is equally desirable and influential as being a politician or CEO. Any more pearls of wisdom?

Ah, so there should only be gender quotas etc for desirable jobs?? Twisted logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ah, so there should only be gender quotas etc for desirable jobs?? Twisted logic.

Bill Burr has a good routine , a la carte feminists

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And apparently undesirable jobs to you include skilled ones that can make someone a good living. Also twisted logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Apologies horse, meant nothing derogatory by it. Very partial to a bout of carpet licking myself. I’m like a thirsty calf drinking from a bucket, specially if the bird has a nice and tidy bosca on her. :D :cool:

You Sir are winning the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Zulu wrote: »
    Could an organisation not be hypocritical; a party; a society without the "very person" being involved?

...something something hivemind.

Yep but he said that "they" have a resort. So it can only be hypocritical if the same "they" had previously complained about a men only club.

Unless by "they" it was all women kind he was talking about. Or all feminists or all something something hivemind. And not the actual person/people opening the private resort.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    And apparently undesirable jobs to you include skilled ones that can make someone a good living. Also twisted logic.

Sorry luv, you've become hysterical again and are seeing things that never happened. Could you point out anywhere, on any thread, on Boards, or any other forum, that I've said that any job is undesirable???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

bear1 wrote:
    I get the impression you are going in circles. I've no issue with them having a resort just for themselves, I'll repeat it again - it's the hypocrisy that they are planning this that I'm questioning. But fair enough you have your own views and opinions.

I think the argument is based on objection to the resort (couched in questioning etc.) Vs hypothetical objection which would probably occur if men also set up a resort for themselves.

I don't see the problem. Some people complain about men some People complain about women. This thread is an example of complaining about a women only resort. I know you need to say it's just questioning the hypothetical reaction to a men only resort. But it's exactly what you're talking about.

You're doing it and you're questioning whether or not the other side would do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Zulu wrote:
    And yet you continue to disingenuously misrepresent the salient point.

Yawn. Don't you ever get sick of being the victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yawn. Don't you ever get sick of being the victim?
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a victim.

Don't you ever get sick of misrepresenting posters and being deliberately disingenuous?

Sorry luv, you've become hysterical again and are seeing things that never happened. Could you point out anywhere, on any thread, on Boards, or any other forum, that I've said that any job is undesirable???

What point were you making here then:

You appear to be lumping highly-skilled jobs in with unskilled as jobs that women don't want to do because they are undesirable. There is a gender imbalance in those professions but those trades pay much more than many not-particularly-desirable office jobs that are mostly filled by women (reception, clerical, switchboard etc.). So what WAS your point there? Maybe you could elaborate instead of dispensing patronising terms-of-endearment? Doing so betrays irritation at someone questioning your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

I could consult every edgelord and dank memester on the Internet and still have no idea what your reaction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FurtherAway

Can't believe nobody here seems to have heard of Okinoshima Island yet. A MEN ONLY island that has even been awarded UNESCO world heritage status. But don't let that stop you getting your knickers in a twist about a women only island that may well allow men in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Can't believe nobody here seems to have heard of Okinoshima Island yet. A MEN ONLY island that has even been awarded UNESCO world heritage status. But don't let that stop you getting your knickers in a twist about a women only island that may well allow men in the future.

Hmm, you may want to explain what the rules are for that island.
    Just in case though, only 200 men for 1 day of the year can go there and they must first be "purified" and then need to strip naked when they arrive.
    It's considered a sacred island for their local people and it's been like that for centuries.
    Now, if the island was designed for all year round, male only, recreational activities type of thing then you'd have had a point.

Advertisement