Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ionity charging network

• 07-02-2018 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭

Some good news at last. 9 charging locations with 6 chargers per location. All of them 150kW and presumably upgradable to 350kW. Looks like locations near all the main cities, a bit thin in the midlands though where most economy EVs like Leaf 2018, eGolf and Ioniq require one charge to go from say Dublin to Cork. Hopefully the first ones will be installed sooner rather than later.

screen-shot-2018-02-06-at-11-35-55-am.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

Linky
    Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Still not sure if they support CCS only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Intresting to see the concentration in Paris compared to Berlin especially as there mostly German companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

samih wrote: »
    Still not sure if they support CCS only.

Previous reports from the manufacturers said it was CCS only
    https://electrek.co/2017/11/03/ultra-fast-electric-car-charging-network-unveiled-by-bmw-mercedes-ford-volkswagen/

The manufacturers backing this are all CCS users so it would be a major surprise if they added Chademo (why would they?)... its almost certainly CCS only.

The long term battle for EV sales is as much likely to be won and lost on the supporting charge network as the cars themselves.

- Tesla have their network
    - The Germans will have Ionity
    - Chademo will suffer beyond 2020 if Nissan don't pump money into the charging network.... although the Government backed rapids should support Chademo so that will keep it alive here.

However, I don't believe that Ionity map until I see chargers on the ground. Do they even have planning applications in? Where exactly are those red dots located in Ireland, does anyone know?

Or is it just someone in Germany with a map on the board sticking pins in it?

One of Ionity's key partners for rolling out these chargers is a company called Circle K. They own Topaz!

So, its likely that the Ireland Ionity chargers will be in Topaz garages.

Some snippets from this press release..
    http://www.ionity.eu/assets/20171127-ionity-en.pdf

"IONITY uses the European charging standard “Combined Charging System” (CCS)"

"By teaming up with Circle K in Denmark, Estonia, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden, IONITY will be able to forge ahead with the construction of its fast charging network in Northern Europe."

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Presumably they will still need planning permission for the charging stations - but they should/could at least have the site part sorted with the right Topaz filling stations

Topaz Ireland sites If you expand the "more filters" and choose "Electric Vehicles" they've already got 4 (presumably SCPs) on the go; Cork, Galway, Dublin, Ashbourne
    I'd guess that the plan would be to expand those sites and add 1 more in Limerick and Waterford
    Update: maybe not - zoomed in on those existing locations they are not best positioned for access in/out of the cities in question

• Advertisement

Topaz Ireland sites If you expand the "more filters" and choose "Electric Vehicles" they've already got 4 (presumably SCPs) on the go; Cork, Galway, Dublin, Ashbourne
    I'd guess that the plan would be to expand those sites and add 1 more in Limerick and Waterford
    Update: maybe not - zoomed in on those existing locations they are not best positioned for access in/out of the cities in question

The chargers in the Cork Topaz stations are rapids.

They could add more rapids to those stations but they are not in the best locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

One of the reasons I would stay with VW etc. I would guess like Tesla other vendors outside the group will not be able to charge....

This is music to the governments ears, more of a reason they dont have to care about the current network....make it someone elses problem....

Must be noted this is just phase 1 of rollout....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Shefwedfan wrote:
    One of the reasons I would stay with VW etc. I would guess like Tesla other vendors outside the group will not be able to charge....

These will be open access and Tesla will have access as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cros13 wrote: »
    These will be open access and Tesla will have access as well.

Open access to all CCS vehicles, the CCS spec does not allow adapters, did anyone else notice the charging port on the Model 3 has alot of extra space 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

This has been touted for a while. Lets just hope there are certain group of people who can keep their noses out of it and let them get on with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm happy that CircleK are involved.

When they purchased Topaz they made the statement
    It has an extensive and attractive convenience and fuel network, with good locations, quality forecourts and stores, an excellent food offering and very professional teams.

Their priority is retailing in convenience stores and food counters, they almost see fuel dispensation as a loss leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Any information on the pricing using these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I haven't seen any, but tbh, I don't really care. If I had to pay triple the normal full day time retail rates on the few occasions that I need a quick and reliable charge on my travels across the country with the full family on board, I'd be happy to pay it. And from what liamog states, the CirkleK business model is based on high margin shop offerings. Knowing my family, they'd all want a €3 hot chocolat or cappucino every time we charge, so I'll gladly contribute there too :D

A triple domestic rate of €13c/kWh would be €40c/kWh. A charge to bring Ioniq from 15% to 85% would cost less than €8. And if the car really can take 100kW, then it would take just 12 minutes. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

If you expand the "more filters" and choose "Electric Vehicles" they've already got 4

Just wondering why Obama Plaza disappears when you turn on the EV filter. It's got a charger hasn't it?

Conba wrote: »
    Just wondering why Obama Plaza disappears when you turn on the EV filter. It's got a charger hasn't it?

Only a slow Tye-2 AC charger, I think.
    No rapid.

Still no one to put a charger on the M9 leaving still 0 CCS from Naas to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

But when you get there, you can have a lovely picnic with great views of the countryside and the sea. Not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ei9go

unkel wrote: »
    But when you get there, you can have a lovely picnic with great views of the countryside and the sea. Not. :p

Picnic bench is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

My bet for the Dublin one would be the one on the Naas Rd where the
    McDonalds/Honda garage is outbound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

20c a kWh would be reasonable

I would be happy to pay that for a reliable service

Hope it's not free

Would be a disaster

If Topaz had even one 350kw charger @ 20c, at every service station in the country it would go along way to a great network

Take out one set of pumps

Should be law

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Speaking of Charging networks , I lost the plot with ESB last night, Enroute Dublin Clare , stopped at the M3 Midway complex late at night. Charger was out. ( Map showed nothing )

Every time I call ESB I like to be professional with the support staff as they are just doing a job ,

But this time I was told , that I should not complain because it was free, and that the was not to be relied upon.

So I am guessing we have a Potemkin Nationwide Charging network, something we turn on when the relatives are visiting from abroad

I am sure this has been well debated in the past, but is this impasse going to change anytime soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

There should be at least two FCP chargers at each location, and no garage given planning permission unless installing FCP. The problem now seems to be queuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

KellyXX wrote: »
    There should be at least two FCP chargers at each location, and no garage given planning permission unless installing FCP. The problem now seems to be queuing.

Any new build should be regulation alright

That would take a government with balls and brains, which we don't have.

Was shocked to see brand new Maxols in D15 recently and no charges

Wtf like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dglflyer wrote: »
    But this time I was told , that I should not complain because it was free, and that the was not to be relied upon.

LOL, they actually said that???

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Speaking of Charging networks , I lost the plot with ESB last night, Enroute Dublin Clare , stopped at the M3 Midway complex late at night. Charger was out. ( Map showed nothing )

Every time I call ESB I like to be professional with the support staff as they are just doing a job ,

So I am guessing we have a Potemkin Nationwide Charging network, something we turn on when the relatives are visiting from abroad

I am sure this has been well debated in the past, but is this impasse going to change anytime soon ?

Kind of sounds similar to my brother ringing AIB once about them messing up something, the girl on other end of phone informed him that he was n tracker mortgage that was costing the bank money so he shouldn't be complaining :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

thierry14 wrote: »
    Any new build should be regulation alright

That would take a government with balls and brains, which we don't have.

Was shocked to see brand new Maxols in D15 recently and no charges

Wtf like

EV sales for Jan 2018 are down on 2017. Any sane garage operator will only install ev stations if they make money out of them, so if the demand isn’t there why will they install them?? Your taking about private business operators here

Honestly I can’t see any of these stations charging as little as 20 cent per unit ether , my guess it will be a min charge of 10 or 20 euro required in order for them to cover their costs never mind make the gross profit equal to what they make at each petrol/ diesel pump

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well if you go to 350kw X 6, we are talking about a 2/3Mw connection.
    This is a 20Kv line with a transformer etc. That is before you install the local hardware.
    Suggest sending that application to the ESB and see the quote. Serious investment.

Casati wrote: »
    EV sales for Jan 2018 are down on 2017. Any sane garage operator will only install ev stations if they make money out of them, so if the demand isn’t there why will they install them?? Your taking about private business operators here

Honestly I can’t see any of these stations charging as little as 20 cent per unit ether , my guess it will be a min charge of 10 or 20 euro required in order for them to cover their costs never mind make the gross profit equal to what they make at each petrol/ diesel pump

You basically just want to cover the operating costs on the fuel dispenser. Petrol and Diesel are said to have around 1c or 2c profit per litre. The money is in the convenience store.

Newspapers have a similar model, there is almost zero profit in retailing newspapers. The concept is called a loss leader. EV charging is actually better than fossil fuels. What you lose on the electricity is likely to be made up on the coffee and muffin you eat whilst waiting for the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

liamog wrote: »
    You basically just want to cover the operating costs on the fuel dispenser. Petrol and Diesel are said to have around 1c or 2c profit per litre. The money is in the convenience store.

Newspapers have a similar model, there is almost zero profit in retailing newspapers. The concept is called a loss leader. EV charging is actually better than fossil fuels. What you lose on the electricity is likely to be made up on the coffee and muffin you eat whilst waiting for the charge.

I don’t agree they make the money in the shop, but they can’t afford to lose whatever profit they make on the forecourt.

Eg A petrol station operator will need to cover their costs. Motorway stations always seem to be 2/3 cent dearer than the cheapest stations in a locality so this might mean their profit is 4 cent per litre rather than the 1 or 2 cent. 50 litres per fill-up means 2 euro in profit.

A petrol or diesel fill will likely take 10% if the time of any fast ev charger so the station would need 10 times the profit per vehicle or 20 euro in profit per Ev to match the profit?

Advertisement