Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great effort last week Sean and thanks again for the support yesterday;those shout outs help when you are out there.

Once you try XC you will love it; totally different animal to the road but sadistically enjoyable......the XC purists would not have been happy with the conditions yesterday....far too dry underfoot! St Anne's is actually a nice introduction to XC.

Any more thoughts of joining a club yet?

Yeah the conditions were much worse two years ago if I remember rightly. It seemed firm enough underfoot yesterday.

As for the club, yes more thoughts...many thoughts...confused thoughts. If and when I'd say it will be Raheny. My doubts revolve around my shift work and how often I could make club runs as well as paces. Testostercone and El Cabello favour easy runs being really easy and I think club runs would drag me into faster running. I might just complete this Graduates plan up to the Bohermeen half and then reassess things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sounds sensible you are training well for Bohermeen you should be on for a good time there.

I am a bit like you with S&C.....Gary O'Hanlon was down with us just before Berlin and someone asked him about it.....he answer was the only way to get better at running is running more!

So many conflicting theories!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah the conditions were much worse two years ago if I remember rightly. It seemed firm enough underfoot yesterday.

As for the club, yes more thoughts...many thoughts...confused thoughts. If and when I'd say it will be Raheny. My doubts revolve around my shift work and how often I could make club runs as well as paces. Testostercone and El Cabello favour easy runs being really easy and I think club runs would drag me into faster running. I might just complete this Graduates plan up to the Bohermeen half and then reassess things.

Sounds sensible you are training well for Bohermeen you should be on for a good time there.

I am a bit like you with S&C.....Gary O'Hanlon was down with us just before Berlin and someone asked him about it.....he answer was the only way to get better at running is running more!

I like his answer....LOTS.......and O Hanlons are never wrong!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

S&C has been shelved for now. My love for feeling sore and stiff as an ironing board is non existent! I'm going to ease my way back into it...soon....:rolleyes: My attitude to S&C is a bit like yours to running in the cold :p

Yep a long run with some of the gang would be great. If I'm off whatever weekend it turns out to be I'd love to meet up.

Ouchhhh...haha, I wouldnt mind but I got loads of new long sleeve running tops and a jacket for christmas, I havent got an excuse anymore!!

After tomorrow hopefully im back to >25 mile weeks, then u can take me under the wing for a long one! :cool: Who knows, we might even be able to get Lazare out...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I love hearing this too :P

But seriously, i guess if you're uninjured then run more but if running more is causing injuries then it is showing up weaknesses that need to be addressed which is the bracket i fall into :o

ariana` wrote: »
    I love hearing this too :P

But seriously, i guess if you're uninjured then run more but if running more is causing injuries then it is showing up weaknesses that need to be addressed which is the bracket i fall into :o

In my case over the year prior to starting DCM training it was running too fast, too often that caused me injuries. I have a passionate dislike for the boredom of gym work.......you'd never guess :pac::pac:

Common sense and being sensible is the key.....and not running too fast on easy days! Keep the hard day's hard and the easy days easy.

There is no one size fits all solution.

Week Ending 14/1/18

Monday 8th:
    Rest Day. On another note it was a very good day though. I had my annual visit to the GP. I got the flu vaccination and a full set of bloods taken. Got the results a couple of days later and all were good. The main positives were that my cholesterol which was 6.8 2 years ago, 5.7 last year is now 4.1 and that my resting heart rate has dropped from 63 to 48 since I got to running consistently in April. There's more to this running lark than PB's :D

Tuesday 9th: 6.9m @ 9:47. Pretty much as the grad HM plan looked for today. A few near slips and trips on the way as part of the route was in total darkness due to power failures in the Glasnevin area....not that this city boy has a head torch even if he had known before he left the house!

Wednesday 10th:
    Session day. Got this one done on the track in ALSAA. It was 5*5 @ CV (6.47-6.56) with 4 min jogged recoveries. Split paces were 6:48, 6:47, 6:44, 6:44 and 6:45 and I was well chuffed with keeping them so even. 15 mins warm up and the same to cool down brought the mileage to 8.8m

Thursday 11th: 7.2m @ 9:54. More of the very easy paced running which is every day on the grad plan except for sessions and the long run. Was only planning the 60 mins but went a bit over as I was enjoying the foggy evening. Met Damo en route and stopped for a quick chat. That boy will rip the roads up once he settles into a plan and a club.

Friday 12th: 6.6m @ 9:52. I'm starting to feel that these 60 minute very easy runs are my default setting. I'm starting to settle into the pace that a few weeks ago seemed slow. It certainly makes a difference to recovery after sessions and keeping me fresh before them. As for the run it has vanished from my memory already and I'm not going back to look at Strava...Glasnevin/ Finglas I think :pac:

Saturday 13th: This was to be a session of 3*8 mins @ threshold (7:06-7:16) with 3 mins recovery but it never got done. Hopefully the Parkrun at similar paces but without recoveries will be somewhere near as good. Had planned to do warmup and first threshold repeat before the Parkrun and the next 2 repeats during it but the watch was showing crazy paces, both fast and slow, so I aborted it after 4 or 5 minutes. Fairview parkrun was a wet and windy experience with the wind blowing the rain in off the sea. Great volunteers and heartwarming flapjacks! Parkrun in a steady 22:41 and the various warm ups, aborted session and cooldown brought things up to 5.9 miles for the morning.

Sunday 14th: 13.1 miles @ 9:11. Ah God I enjoyed this one. 3 months without running in the PP is just far too much. I have to get back to running on grass and trails more often. The bright morning had the park full of runners, walkers, footballers and cyclists. Plan was for 1 hr 45 mins at easy pace (9:25-9:45). Pace was steady at 9:27 average practically from beginning to end. When the time had elapsed I was still a bit from the car so took a crazy notion to do the last 3Km a bit faster. It brought the ave pace down to 9:11 and heart rate up from 126 to 160 :pac::pac: It felt good even if it wasn't in the plan.

It was my first time in ages to use the HRM. Average was 132. Allowing for a spike that always happens at the start (watch seems to record cadence rather than heartbeat for 5/10 mins before settling) and the push at the end my average for the majority of the run was about 125. Following on from a post by the muppet elsewhere this morning I looked back on a similar length run in July which was at 9:45 pace and my average HR was 143. Sometimes it's reassuring to see progress like that. :D

Plan for the week ahead includes 10*300 @ mile pace with short recoveries. This one terrifies me and my delicate hamstrings!! :eek: We'll give it a lash anyway :o

Total for Week: 49.1 miles YTD: 96.5 miles

Week Ending 14/1/18

Monday 8th:
    Rest Day. On another note it was a very good day though. I had my annual visit to the GP. I got the flu vaccination and a full set of bloods taken. Got the results a couple of days later and all were good. The main positives were that my cholesterol which was 6.8 2 years ago, 5.7 last year is now 4.1 and that my resting heart rate has dropped from 63 to 48 since I got to running consistently in April. There's more to this running lark than PB's :D

Wow, impressive results S. Well done.

• Advertisement

Week ending 21/1/18

Monday 15th: 2 mile recovery jog @ 10:06. A couple of laps around Johnstown Park just to try an active recovery day instead of a rest day.

Tuesday 16th: 6.6 miles @9:30. Plan for today had 60 mins very easy and I repeated a loop that includes a lap of each of three local parks. It's my go to daytime 60 min loop but no good for evening time as the parks are closed. :pac:

Wednesday 17th: First session of the week and I buggered it up a bit by only setting the watch to do nine repeats instead of ten. It was to be 10*300s at approx mile pace off 60 sec jog recovery. As I have never raced a mile I used the calculator which suggested a 6:05 mile pace. This meant 300s of 68 seconds. They got progressively harder to complete after the 5th or 6th repeat. I fell over the line after the last one!! :( In hindsight I think I would have failed to meet the target pace for the 10th one had I done it. Splits were 67, 67, 67, 69, 69, 68, 68, 68 and 67 secs. Warm up and Cool down brought total miles to 5.8m.

Thursday 18th and Friday 19th: 6.5 miles @ 9:48 and 6.2 @ 9:45. Practically identical route and pace for these two 60 min very easy runs. My evening loop down Collins Avenue, Grace Park Road and then back up Griffith Avenue.

Saturday 20th: Went over to Brickfield Park for their 3rd Parkrun and tied in a session. 4*8 mins @ HM pace. I've kinda decided to aim for 7:20 pace so this was the target pace for the session. Paces were 7:16, 7:17, 7:19 and 7:17. Soaking wet morning, terrific volunteers and lots of walkers! Warm up and cool down totalled the day at 8.4 miles.

Sunday 21st: 12.6m @ 9:14. Wimped out of the planned morning run! :D Thankfully the evening cleared up rain wise even if the strong breeze was still there. First half was downhill with a tailwind down Griffith Avenue to Fairview and then up the Howth Road to Raheny so pace was faster than planned but effort was easy. Once I turned towards Donaghmede from Raheny the wind slowed it down and then up Tonlagee and Oscar Traynor Road was into the headwind. Felt really good though.

So it's Raheny 5 on Sunday. I won't change the HM plan much during this week and try to run an even paced race, not a strength of mine and it actually scares me a bit. Best 5m time is 37:17 and I'm going to aim for 36:00 with as close as I can manage to 7:12 splits. It'll be a good guide for where I am at the moment and if a plan for 7:20 splits in the half is a bit ambitious. This day next week I'll have a much better idea! :confused:

Thanks for reading :D

Total for week: 48.3 miles. YTD: 144.9 miles

Great consistency on the 300s Sean; one of the hardest things I found when starting sessions was getting them paced correctly.

In my mind and I am by no means an expert is that if you are consistent on the splits on these then you are about right with the pacing....getting the legs turning over that bit quicker is different from what you were doing last year but will bring you on no end.

I think you might surprise yourself in Raheny. Have a plan for the race and stick to it and enjoy the sweets afterwards!

Also great mileage for Jan so far!

C

Great consistency on the 300s Sean; one of the hardest things I found when starting sessions was getting them paced correctly.

In my mind and I am by no means an expert is that if you are consistent on the splits on these then you are about right with the pacing....getting the legs turning over that bit quicker is different from what you were doing last year but will bring you on no end.

I think you might surprise yourself in Raheny. Have a plan for the race and stick to it and enjoy the sweets afterwards!

Also great mileage for Jan so far!

C

I'm afraid I can't claim credit for the pacing...that's all down to the watch and its incessant beeping telling me to speed up or slow down. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great week SB. You are seriously dedicated.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great week SB. You are seriously dedicated.

I'm just loving it! I had to chain myself to the couch tonight to stop myself going out :D

Totally addicted. That’s brilliant. I can’t wait to see how you do in the hm after all the training.

• Advertisement

Totally addicted. That’s brilliant. I can’t wait to see how you do in the hm after all the training.

That's the scary bit...the raised expectations of others :pac: I find it hard to believe I can improve much on the Dublin half in a few months. I felt in great nick then, better than when DCM came around.

Maybe but you have way more miles in the legs now and have followed a specific plan so you will have no issues. I suppose make sure the nutrition is right - that can be my downfall generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm just loving it! I had to chain myself to the couch tonight to stop myself going out :D

Love this :p

Week ending 28/1/18

Week 8 of the half marathon plan and it was a step back week. That suited perfectly as I was running Raheny and wouldn't be missing out on a long run.

Monday 22nd: Rest Day

Tuesday 23rd: 70 mins very easy on my loop around the 3 local parks. Windy and chilly but very pleasant and relaxed at the same time. 7.14 miles (thanks to Strava now showing 2 decimal places) @ 9:57

Wednesday 24th: Session day. 8 * 3 mins CV with 400m jogged recoveries. Pace was to be in the 6:47 to 6:56 range. Was delighted with these. I didn't find them as tough as last Wednesday's session. Maybe the sessions in a step back week are easier too? Paces were 6:56, 6:51, 6:53, 6:55, 6:52, 6:53, 6:48 and 6:47. Warm up and cool down brought the miles to 8.77

Thursday 25th: 60 mins very easy. Nothing much to report. 6.26 miles @ 9.41

Friday 26th: Starting to turn my thoughts to Raheny. Didn't want this to derail the training plan by tapering too much this week which was why I still did yesterday's session but today was only a very easy 3.29 miles @ 9:57.

Saturday 27th: The day before Raheny. I like getting in a few easy miles the day before a race. Some agree, some don't:pac: In further pursuit of my endeavour to do all the Dublin parkruns I made my way to Malahide. After doing some of the smaller runs I have to say there was a great buzz at this one. A really nice course too and I loved the kinda amphitheater entrance to the finishing 100m with plenty of early finishers cheering in the later finishers. Fair play to those who made the effort. I just jogged it, in truth a tad faster than the very easy pace I planned, at an 8:38 pace. I'll definitely be back! Finished off the evening with a 4 pack of Guinness before bed. :D

Sunday 28th Raheny 5 Mile: Something very strange happened in the days and hours leading up to this race. It started to take on a huge importance for me. It was a first chance to compare to my 37:17 in the IR 5 last June, a litmus test of the benefits of training for my first marathon, a test of whether using training paces based on a net downhill Jingle Bells 5k was wise for my creaking M50 age category legs and whether my 1:36 target for Bohermeen was in any way feasible. Truth be told I was more anxious than pre DCM. I read Wubbles race report from Raheny last year for some pointers and decided to give it everything. I had planned to try an even paced 36 minutes as even pacing is something I have never done. I changed this to 35 minutes. I set up the race on my watch as a workout of 8 X 1.02kms. It was to beep if I went slower than 4:25 per km ave pace in the first 3 Kms, 4:15 in the next 4 and no setting for the last one. It meant I had no idea of a time all race long.

Met Damo and Lazare at the bag drop, had a nice chat and did a little warm up with them. Spotted AMK doing some strides in his glowing orange runners! :cool:

Mile 1: It's a bit confusing reporting in miles when I had broken the race down into km blocks for pacing but hey ho that's the kind of mixed up thinking I do. Started about 50 yards back from the front. Had to do a bit of weaving before the watch stopped its incessant beeping and was happy I was at the pace I needed to be. The weaving lessened very quickly and the number of mirrors on parked cars that needed avoiding too! Great support from the locals, great to be racing again.

Mile 2: still ploughing along and comfortable with the world. Had my eyes on a Brothers Pearse runner I had seen in Shangannagh Parkrun who I felt would be a good yardstick. I vaguely remembered something I think Wubble mentioned about people cutting the corner onto Sybil Hill ( I could be wrong ) so stayed as far right as I could on the narrow section within the cones on the Howth Road. As it turned out we were directed onto the footpath at this turn which caused a bit of a bottle neck and lots of clipping of heels. The watch was in a very satisfied and silent state at this point, bang on pace.

Mile 3: Down Vernon Ave and Mount Prospect. Breeze and the downhill helped. A quick glance at the watch showed a 4:07 pace for the km. A bit fast but a few seconds banked against the uphill still to come.

Mile 4: Into St Anne's and a great atmosphere. Was starting to feel the pace but was holding it Ok until we turned onto the avenue and the wind hit. Watch beeped it's hurry the fook up tone. Picked it up a bit again. Saw Damo coming back down the Avenue and gave him a big shout. It was the last time my lungs functioned properly!! :eek: I was getting desperate to see the turn back on the avenue.

Mile 5: the turn, thank God! Came to a near standstill making the 180 degree turn and things were never the same again. The legs had liked stopping and weren't in the slightest bit interested in getting back to work. I gave all I had to hold my position but as we turned up by the dog park I was really struggling. Grabbed some orange segments from a very kind woman who was offering them and tried to get them inside me. Not a chance! My throat was too busy trying to gulp in air to deal with oranges. Half chewed orange dangled from my mouth and I barely had the energy to spit it out. Into the last Km and the watch showed my pace for that km was averaging 4:50. The wheels were coming off fast. Don't walk, don't walk...please! Spotted Brothers Pearse guy. Not sure whether he came from behind or not but he was 5 yards ahead of me. Tried to close the gap but there was nothing left...empty tank. The 35 had been too ambitious....****e! Came around the last bend and saw the clock 34:xx...Jesus I started 30 or 40 seconds back...I could get 34....from somewhere I didn't know I had I found a relative sprint, or the last kick of a dying man, and pushed myself to the line. Stopped the watch...33:53!! To say I was thrilled was an understatement :D:D:D

The aftermath: Was delighted with how fast I recovered, probably thanks to the sessions. Collected my protein goodie bag and went for a pint with Lazare, Damo and quickbeam all of whom had done fantastic runs and my better half who was sadly consigned to a spectator role today. She'll be back!

So here ends my epic. I couldn't let Kellygirl down with my short few words :pac::pac::pac:

Great read Skyblue! Super time and super effort, you did so well, the training is paying off!

• Advertisement

Yay! Saw you had posted so made a coffee and sat down to have a read and as usual you didn’t disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat for the last mile! Brilliantly written as always.

Well done! That was a fantastic PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done, great report! Super chunk taken off your 5 mile time!

Great stuff Sean and a reward from all the hard work you have been putting in.....see we weren't lying to you when we said the PBS would come tumbling down after the marathon training.

Onwards and upwards for Bohermeen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yay! Saw you had posted so made a coffee and sat down to have a read and as usual you didn’t disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat for the last mile! Brilliantly written as always.

Well done! That was a fantastic PB.

Snap lol I have been watching all morning for this

what a great report S and I know exactly what you mean about nerves and the importance of the race had similar feelings yesterday as well. fantastic running felt I was right with you for your last mile excellent effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report Seán. Loved the bit about the half chewed orange. I wouldn't dare try something like that at that stage of the race! The 180 at the end of the run into the wind can really slow you down all right.

Great report Seán. Loved the bit about the half chewed orange. I wouldn't dare try something like that at that stage of the race! The 180 at the end of the run into the wind can really slow you down all right.

The orange was pure desperation. I grabbed it like I was being offered a miracle PED that would resurrect me instantly. Instead I started thinking how my obituary would read in Mondays paper.... Fun Runner Chokes On Jaffa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff, you're really progressing nicely. I saw that woman with the oranges and was wondering who would want one in a 5 mile race! :) guess I know now!

The orange was pure desperation. I grabbed it like I was being offered a miracle PED that would resurrect me instantly. Instead I started thinking how my obituary would read in Mondays paper.... Fun Runner Chokes On Jaffa!

Oh S god bless ya you always make me laugh :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great stuff, you're really progressing nicely. I saw that woman with the oranges and was wondering who would want one in a 5 mile race! :) guess I know now!

Thanks. I now know too. Absolutely nobody would! :pac: I was gagging and spluttering on the thing. Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I read your race report at the weekend, brilliant stuff.... no doubt there’ll be people getting inspiration from it next year!

• Advertisement

I read your race report at the weekend, brilliant stuff.... no doubt there’ll be people getting inspiration from it next year!

Ah thanks.....though it's more likely to put anyone off running :pac:

So this week began on a bit of a high after Raheny and also a bit of fear. I now realise that I had never before run myself to my limits and if I want to improve then it's a feeling I'll have to get used to. :eek: The high wasn't just about my own run, it was for other ex novices who had great days and the numerous Boardsies whose race reports I enjoyed reading. Some great performances all round.

Monday 29th: 3:21 miles @ a gentle 9:50 pace. A recovery jog after the previous day's exertion. Legs felt grand.

Tuesday 30th: 80 mins very easy (9:44) @ a slightly quicker (9:32) pace than planned. I did this in Marlay Park, a couple of laps of the Parkrun loop and a couple of laps of the concert field in front of the Marlay House. It was a beautiful bright crisp morning which really added to the enjoyment. 8.58 miles

Wednesday 31st: Session day. 12*75 secs @ CV pace (6:45-6:54) with 60 secs jog between each. I thought the legs might still be a bit tired but I felt really good for this one. Paces were 6:45, 41, 44, 43, 42, 47, 44, 41, 43, 46, 43 and 44. Warm up and cool down brought total miles up to 7.3

Thursday 1st: 60 mins very easy. Once again my 9:30 pace was a bit faster than the 9:44 target. I should get a grip on this or I'm in danger of being the one telling others to slow down as I go too fast! ;) 6.6 miles squeezed in.

Friday 2nd: Rest

Saturday 3rd: Session number 2 for this week. It was a 4*10 mins @ HMP (7:20) with 2 mins rest or jog in between. As I have been doing recently I tied this in with my Parkrun tourism and efforts to get all the Dublin parkruns ticked off. This week I made my way to Poolbeg and wasn't I lucky the day I picked...clear blue skies and a beautiful low sun over Dublin Bay, glorious :) I timed it so that I could do 2 of the intervals before the Parkrun and 2 during it. First one was a bit slow but I'll blame the watch for that! A slightly late start to the Parkrun meant I had longer than 2 mins rest there. It's a lovely run out to the nature reserve with a little hill at the U turn back towards the start. 4th interval was a little fast as I wouldn't let some guy past me in a sprint finish :pac: :pac: I'd recommend this Parkrun to anyone. Afterwards as part of my cooldown I jogged across the wide sandy expanses of Sandymount strand. A really enjoyable morning. Total miles 10.21

Sunday 4th: Plan said 2 hours @ 9:21. I did 2hrs 14 min @ 9:18 for 14.41 miles....not so fast as to get me into trouble. Headed to the PP for this. Driving across town it was lashing a dirty wet kind of sleet and not very appealing. However by the time I parked up at the Hole in the Wall it had cleared up...cold but beautiful. Made my mind up to stay on grass and trail paths and do 2 laps starting off on the trail along the wall to Castleknock gate and on down past Farmleigh to Knockmaroon gate. Then I turned back to the Furze Road and then across the fields down to the hospital and across to the Magazine fort. From there it was back to the Hole in the Wall. I changed my mind about doing a second lap and did a loop including the Castleknock section of DCM, coming back into the Park at Farmleigh gate. I think it was my favourite run ever!!! Mucky, slippy, sloppy, cold at times but by the Lord Jaysus I loved it!!

Went out for a few pints last night and still enthused by my morning run I had fancy Dan plans to buy spikes and do the BHAA XC in ALSAA later this month. Thankfully the beer had left my system by morning and my senses had returned :D

Thanks for taking the (long) time to read. Happy running to y'all.

Weekly miles: 50.3. YTD miles 231.1

Great week S. You're fairly clocking up the miles :eek: Well done :)

See Trails are fun :D great week training S

Baby75 wrote: »
    See Trails are fun :D great week training S

Yeah they're fun for a jog! :pac:

Yeah they're fun for a jog! :pac:

:D good training for the legs ;)

Well done Sean. Make sure you slow right down now ;)

Well done Sean. Make sure you slow right down now ;)

I know...3 secs a mile too fast on my long run...shocking!! :(

Another great week of training S; fairly cranking up the miles!

You know you want to get those spikes....go on go on go on! Embrace XC!

• Advertisement

:) I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just read the Race Report Sean. Absolutely inspirational. Really enjoyed that so thanks for the racing effort that gave you the material for same. Your mileage is impressive. Keep motoring.

denis b wrote: »
    Just read the Race Report Sean. Absolutely inspirational. Really enjoyed that so thanks for the racing effort that gave you the material for same. Your mileage is impressive. Keep motoring.

Thanks a million. I'm really enjoying the running which is the most important thing. I guess it makes writing a report easier. The mileage will keep going until Bohermeen and then I'll take a look at things again.

Ah the miles have been pretty consistent for a while now, there won't be any more cranking up. It'll pretty much be the grad plan for the next 5 weeks.

As for XC...it can wait, as can an IMRA run but I do intend to try both by the end of the year. :D

Week ending 11/2/18

Monday 5th: Just a 3.33 mile jog @ 9:56. I've been trying these active recoveries rather than rest days. Think I might need a proper rest day all the same.

Tuesday 6th More very easy miles...7.46 @ 10:04. A very gentle start to the week. A nondescript trot around the concrete jungle.

Wednesday 7th: A really enjoyable session. 10 mins/ 7 mins @ threshold followed by 3 mins @ CV with 2 mins jog recoveries. Targets were 7:03-7:13 for threshold and 6:45-6:54 for CV. Paces were 7:05, 7:01 and 6:44 which were pretty much bang on.

Thursday 8th: A nice easy 7.09 miles @ 9.33. Did a lap of the 5k Parkrun lap in Marlay and then ran down to St Endas park for a couple of laps. It's a lovely little park with a nice undulating lap. Pity it's not a bit longer.

Friday 9th: 6.24 miles @ 9:37. Felt a bit like a hamster on a wheel during this one. I'm not a huge fan of countless short laps. My local park is about .85 of a mile so it was a run to the park and 7 laps...

Saturday 10th: Ardgillan Parkrun. Changed the planned session to a Parkrun at HM pace. No scientific reason really, just felt like it. :pac: Forgot my barcode so had to turn back from the airport. No point in trying to complete the Dublin set if I wasn't scanned. As a result I got no real warm up. Great atmosphere as they were celebrating their 4th birthday. Stunning location in fairness. Attempts at an even pace was pointless as the start was so crowded, followed by a mile long charge down a hill! Then an up and down couple of laps followed by a near 1km climb to the finish. Trying to maintain pace on that was really tough. Cooldown involved a near mile long climb back to the carpark. Legs really felt heavy and tired on Saturday night. Not sure a TGIFriday and a few beers helped in any way. :D

Sunday 11th: 13.69 miles @ 9:13. Got to the PP at 8.20 for this. A bright but rather nippy morning ;) A few flakes of snow but nothing worth talking about. I stayed on the trails today to give the legs a rest. This run was the first one in ages that was a bit of a struggle. Paces were up and down, legs were feeling it on any drags and into the wind. Parts of the 15 acres were tough into the wind. I thought the skin was being removed from my cheekbones!

So I think my base building phase is done. I'll stick more rigidly to Testosterscone's HM plan until Bohermeen (ie. Stop adding miles to the plan) :pac: Bohermeen has served it's purpose already by giving me something to work towards and build up a base.

Miles for week: 51.2 Miles YTD: 282.3

Another cracking week S, your set up for a serious run in Bohermeen! Just dont wear yourself out too close to it, take that well deserved REST day! Put the feet up instead of the shoes on ;)

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Another cracking week S, your set up for a serious run in Bohermeen! Just dont wear yourself out too close to it, take that well deserved REST day! Put the feet up instead of the shoes on ;)

I know...started to feel it the past couple of days. Definitely need to ease off over the next few weeks. I'll concentrate on the sessions and make all the other runs really easy.

I know...started to feel it the past couple of days. Definitely need to ease off over the next few weeks. I'll concentrate on the sessions and make all the other runs really easy.

Thats the way, the easy miles on rest days have done you a world of good to get to where u are fitness wise, but these next couple of weeks you really dont want to risk getting run down!

Thought I better throw this up here. Never know when I might to look back on it even if it was a bit of a step back week. It wasn't really a step back more so it involved me actually following the plan rather than adding miles and pace here and there :D

Monday 12th: 2.04 miles @ 9:46 Recovery Jog

Tuesday 13th: 60 mins very easy. 6.16 miles @ 9:44

Wednesday 14th: Session day. Plan was 16 X 90 secs @ threshold pace (7:03-7:13) off 30 secs. Found this one more manageable than I expected possibly as I kept the first few of them towards the slower end of the pace range. Paces were 7:11, 7:09, 7:09, 7:12, 7:10, 7:12, 7:13, 7:04, 7:09, 7:05, 7:06, 7:09, 7:07, 7:07, 6:56 and 6:46.
    A warmup around the ALSAA XC and a cooldown brought the miles up to 8.37 for the day.

Thursday 15th: Another 60 mins at very easy pace. 6.18 miles @ 9:42

Friday 16th: Rest Day :eek:

Saturday 17th: Session day. Plan had 4 X 12 mins at HMP off 2 mins 30 secs jogging. I changed it a bit as I wanted to do the first Tolka Valley Parkrun. I decided to do 2 of the 4 intervals and then into the Parkrun @ HMP after a 90 sec rest. They were all a bit faster than my planned HMP (7:20) and I certainly felt it. Actually couldn't imagine myself holding it for 13.1 miles so I might have a rethink. Paces for the two 12 mins were 7:13 and 7:18 and the 5k pace was 7:09. Nice course and enough has already been said about the droves who 'finished' without completing the distance. Teething problems no doubt.

Sunday 18th: Did the planned 1 hour 45 mins. 11.52 miles @ 9:07. I felt really good on this early morning run and knocked it out on a bright morning nice and early.

So that was the week that was. I felt better than last week and feel I needed to listen to the body and take it easy. It seems to have paid off as I have felt stronger this week. I'll get this weeks up tomorrow or Monday.....more as an exercise in discipline! :pac:

Miles for week: 44.0. Miles YTD: 326.3

A good weeks running and a good weeks reading on Boards. I thought the threads about training to train and AMKs log provided some great info. Delighted to see Swashbuckler run a great race today after the disappointment of his last race which he brilliantly brought to life in his race report. My favourite comment of the week was one of Murph D's (I'll paraphrase here) where he said that there should me as much enjoyment in performance, not just in taking part. For some reason it struck a chord with me. Anyway on to the weeks running.

Monday 19th: Continuing with the 20 minute recovery jogs on a Monday. 2 miles at a very gentle 10:23 per mile.

Tuesday 20th: Still sticking to the plan like a limpet. 60 mins very easy. 6.28 miles @ 9:33

Wednesday 21st: Session day. Plan said 6 * 4 mins at CV pace with 2 mins jog recovery. As this would have meant each interval would have been a bit shorter than 1k I changed it to 6 * 1k instead. I did them on the lap in front of Marlay House as the lap is as close as be damned to a km. I found it easier to be running to a point each lap rather than constantly looking at the watch to see how far I had left to go. The target range was 4:11 to 4:17 per km. I aimed at the faster end of this range. Splits were 4:10, 4:11, 4:10, 4:09, 4:06 and 4:06. With a warmup and cooldown the distance for the day came to 9.23

Thursday 22nd: Back down to Marlay for the prescribed 60 mins very easy. It was a bit faster than planned, not much though. It is becoming a recurring theme on the day after a session. It's not intentional and something I need to keep an eye on. 6.66 miles @ 9:24

Friday 23rd: My loop of the 3 local parks again. Tipped around the 6.68 miles @ a very easy 9:32 pace.

Saturday 24th: Very little sleep before this. Only finished my shift at 3am :( Once again on a Saturday I combined my session with a Parkrun. Plan was for 35 mins tempo which is 7:24-7:36 pace. I planned to do 12 mins before the Parkrun and meet it at the start line as it set off. Got my timings wrong so only had 10 done when AGYR and her team set us on our way. Being a bit anal I did the 2:13 that was left to complete straight after the Parkrun! :o 35 mins @ 7:23. Tough course in Cabinteely. Only Darndale left to do now to complete the Dublin set. Warmup and cooldown brought the miles to 8.92.

Sunday 25th: Was a bit worried about this LSR. My fault entirely as a day in the pub watching Ireland, Scotland and the SuperDubs while filling my gut with copious pints of Arthur isn't on the graduates plan. An 8.30 start on an absolutely beautiful morning in a sundrenched but cold Phoenix Park cleared the head rapidly! First few miles were a bit too fast as I found myself unconsciously speeding up whenever I heard one of the many club training groups approach me either from behind or running towards me! :pac: Isn't pride a terrible thing :) Settled down after that and then picked it up ever so slightly again at the end. Planned 2 hours was done and in that time I squeezed in 13.23 miles @ 9:04
    The Park seemed to be packed with runners. It was like everyone was getting a last run in before the Apocalypse aka The Beast from the East. It was as busy as an off licence on every Holy Thursday night pre 2018 :D

So next week is the penultimate of the grad HM plan and only has a 70 minute run next Sunday. I guess that means the taper starts from next weekend. Hopefully our weather has returned to normal by Bohermeen half and there won't be need for snow shoes.

Miles for week: 53.0. Miles YTD: 379.3

Great reading there S. I agree, there’s been some great stuff on Boards this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement