Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great consistency on the 300s Sean; one of the hardest things I found when starting sessions was getting them paced correctly.

In my mind and I am by no means an expert is that if you are consistent on the splits on these then you are about right with the pacing....getting the legs turning over that bit quicker is different from what you were doing last year but will bring you on no end.

I think you might surprise yourself in Raheny. Have a plan for the race and stick to it and enjoy the sweets afterwards!

Also great mileage for Jan so far!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great consistency on the 300s Sean; one of the hardest things I found when starting sessions was getting them paced correctly.

In my mind and I am by no means an expert is that if you are consistent on the splits on these then you are about right with the pacing....getting the legs turning over that bit quicker is different from what you were doing last year but will bring you on no end.

I think you might surprise yourself in Raheny. Have a plan for the race and stick to it and enjoy the sweets afterwards!

Also great mileage for Jan so far!

C

I'm afraid I can't claim credit for the pacing...that's all down to the watch and its incessant beeping telling me to speed up or slow down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great week SB. You are seriously dedicated.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great week SB. You are seriously dedicated.

I'm just loving it! I had to chain myself to the couch tonight to stop myself going out :D

Totally addicted. That’s brilliant. I can’t wait to see how you do in the hm after all the training.

• Advertisement

Totally addicted. That’s brilliant. I can’t wait to see how you do in the hm after all the training.

That's the scary bit...the raised expectations of others :pac: I find it hard to believe I can improve much on the Dublin half in a few months. I felt in great nick then, better than when DCM came around.

Maybe but you have way more miles in the legs now and have followed a specific plan so you will have no issues. I suppose make sure the nutrition is right - that can be my downfall generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm just loving it! I had to chain myself to the couch tonight to stop myself going out :D

Love this :p

Week ending 28/1/18

Week 8 of the half marathon plan and it was a step back week. That suited perfectly as I was running Raheny and wouldn't be missing out on a long run.

Monday 22nd: Rest Day

Tuesday 23rd: 70 mins very easy on my loop around the 3 local parks. Windy and chilly but very pleasant and relaxed at the same time. 7.14 miles (thanks to Strava now showing 2 decimal places) @ 9:57

Wednesday 24th: Session day. 8 * 3 mins CV with 400m jogged recoveries. Pace was to be in the 6:47 to 6:56 range. Was delighted with these. I didn't find them as tough as last Wednesday's session. Maybe the sessions in a step back week are easier too? Paces were 6:56, 6:51, 6:53, 6:55, 6:52, 6:53, 6:48 and 6:47. Warm up and cool down brought the miles to 8.77

Thursday 25th: 60 mins very easy. Nothing much to report. 6.26 miles @ 9.41

Friday 26th: Starting to turn my thoughts to Raheny. Didn't want this to derail the training plan by tapering too much this week which was why I still did yesterday's session but today was only a very easy 3.29 miles @ 9:57.

Saturday 27th: The day before Raheny. I like getting in a few easy miles the day before a race. Some agree, some don't:pac: In further pursuit of my endeavour to do all the Dublin parkruns I made my way to Malahide. After doing some of the smaller runs I have to say there was a great buzz at this one. A really nice course too and I loved the kinda amphitheater entrance to the finishing 100m with plenty of early finishers cheering in the later finishers. Fair play to those who made the effort. I just jogged it, in truth a tad faster than the very easy pace I planned, at an 8:38 pace. I'll definitely be back! Finished off the evening with a 4 pack of Guinness before bed. :D

Sunday 28th Raheny 5 Mile: Something very strange happened in the days and hours leading up to this race. It started to take on a huge importance for me. It was a first chance to compare to my 37:17 in the IR 5 last June, a litmus test of the benefits of training for my first marathon, a test of whether using training paces based on a net downhill Jingle Bells 5k was wise for my creaking M50 age category legs and whether my 1:36 target for Bohermeen was in any way feasible. Truth be told I was more anxious than pre DCM. I read Wubbles race report from Raheny last year for some pointers and decided to give it everything. I had planned to try an even paced 36 minutes as even pacing is something I have never done. I changed this to 35 minutes. I set up the race on my watch as a workout of 8 X 1.02kms. It was to beep if I went slower than 4:25 per km ave pace in the first 3 Kms, 4:15 in the next 4 and no setting for the last one. It meant I had no idea of a time all race long.

Met Damo and Lazare at the bag drop, had a nice chat and did a little warm up with them. Spotted AMK doing some strides in his glowing orange runners! :cool:

Mile 1: It's a bit confusing reporting in miles when I had broken the race down into km blocks for pacing but hey ho that's the kind of mixed up thinking I do. Started about 50 yards back from the front. Had to do a bit of weaving before the watch stopped its incessant beeping and was happy I was at the pace I needed to be. The weaving lessened very quickly and the number of mirrors on parked cars that needed avoiding too! Great support from the locals, great to be racing again.

Mile 2: still ploughing along and comfortable with the world. Had my eyes on a Brothers Pearse runner I had seen in Shangannagh Parkrun who I felt would be a good yardstick. I vaguely remembered something I think Wubble mentioned about people cutting the corner onto Sybil Hill ( I could be wrong ) so stayed as far right as I could on the narrow section within the cones on the Howth Road. As it turned out we were directed onto the footpath at this turn which caused a bit of a bottle neck and lots of clipping of heels. The watch was in a very satisfied and silent state at this point, bang on pace.

Mile 3: Down Vernon Ave and Mount Prospect. Breeze and the downhill helped. A quick glance at the watch showed a 4:07 pace for the km. A bit fast but a few seconds banked against the uphill still to come.

Mile 4: Into St Anne's and a great atmosphere. Was starting to feel the pace but was holding it Ok until we turned onto the avenue and the wind hit. Watch beeped it's hurry the fook up tone. Picked it up a bit again. Saw Damo coming back down the Avenue and gave him a big shout. It was the last time my lungs functioned properly!! :eek: I was getting desperate to see the turn back on the avenue.

Mile 5: the turn, thank God! Came to a near standstill making the 180 degree turn and things were never the same again. The legs had liked stopping and weren't in the slightest bit interested in getting back to work. I gave all I had to hold my position but as we turned up by the dog park I was really struggling. Grabbed some orange segments from a very kind woman who was offering them and tried to get them inside me. Not a chance! My throat was too busy trying to gulp in air to deal with oranges. Half chewed orange dangled from my mouth and I barely had the energy to spit it out. Into the last Km and the watch showed my pace for that km was averaging 4:50. The wheels were coming off fast. Don't walk, don't walk...please! Spotted Brothers Pearse guy. Not sure whether he came from behind or not but he was 5 yards ahead of me. Tried to close the gap but there was nothing left...empty tank. The 35 had been too ambitious....****e! Came around the last bend and saw the clock 34:xx...Jesus I started 30 or 40 seconds back...I could get 34....from somewhere I didn't know I had I found a relative sprint, or the last kick of a dying man, and pushed myself to the line. Stopped the watch...33:53!! To say I was thrilled was an understatement :D:D:D

The aftermath: Was delighted with how fast I recovered, probably thanks to the sessions. Collected my protein goodie bag and went for a pint with Lazare, Damo and quickbeam all of whom had done fantastic runs and my better half who was sadly consigned to a spectator role today. She'll be back!

So here ends my epic. I couldn't let Kellygirl down with my short few words :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great read Skyblue! Super time and super effort, you did so well, the training is paying off!

• Advertisement

Yay! Saw you had posted so made a coffee and sat down to have a read and as usual you didn’t disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat for the last mile! Brilliantly written as always.

Well done! That was a fantastic PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done, great report! Super chunk taken off your 5 mile time!

Great stuff Sean and a reward from all the hard work you have been putting in.....see we weren't lying to you when we said the PBS would come tumbling down after the marathon training.

Onwards and upwards for Bohermeen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yay! Saw you had posted so made a coffee and sat down to have a read and as usual you didn’t disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat for the last mile! Brilliantly written as always.

Well done! That was a fantastic PB.

Snap lol I have been watching all morning for this

what a great report S and I know exactly what you mean about nerves and the importance of the race had similar feelings yesterday as well. fantastic running felt I was right with you for your last mile excellent effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report Seán. Loved the bit about the half chewed orange. I wouldn't dare try something like that at that stage of the race! The 180 at the end of the run into the wind can really slow you down all right.

Great report Seán. Loved the bit about the half chewed orange. I wouldn't dare try something like that at that stage of the race! The 180 at the end of the run into the wind can really slow you down all right.

The orange was pure desperation. I grabbed it like I was being offered a miracle PED that would resurrect me instantly. Instead I started thinking how my obituary would read in Mondays paper.... Fun Runner Chokes On Jaffa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff, you're really progressing nicely. I saw that woman with the oranges and was wondering who would want one in a 5 mile race! :) guess I know now!

The orange was pure desperation. I grabbed it like I was being offered a miracle PED that would resurrect me instantly. Instead I started thinking how my obituary would read in Mondays paper.... Fun Runner Chokes On Jaffa!

Oh S god bless ya you always make me laugh :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great stuff, you're really progressing nicely. I saw that woman with the oranges and was wondering who would want one in a 5 mile race! :) guess I know now!

Thanks. I now know too. Absolutely nobody would! :pac: I was gagging and spluttering on the thing. Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I read your race report at the weekend, brilliant stuff.... no doubt there’ll be people getting inspiration from it next year!

• Advertisement

I read your race report at the weekend, brilliant stuff.... no doubt there’ll be people getting inspiration from it next year!

Ah thanks.....though it's more likely to put anyone off running :pac:

So this week began on a bit of a high after Raheny and also a bit of fear. I now realise that I had never before run myself to my limits and if I want to improve then it's a feeling I'll have to get used to. :eek: The high wasn't just about my own run, it was for other ex novices who had great days and the numerous Boardsies whose race reports I enjoyed reading. Some great performances all round.

Monday 29th: 3:21 miles @ a gentle 9:50 pace. A recovery jog after the previous day's exertion. Legs felt grand.

Tuesday 30th: 80 mins very easy (9:44) @ a slightly quicker (9:32) pace than planned. I did this in Marlay Park, a couple of laps of the Parkrun loop and a couple of laps of the concert field in front of the Marlay House. It was a beautiful bright crisp morning which really added to the enjoyment. 8.58 miles

Wednesday 31st: Session day. 12*75 secs @ CV pace (6:45-6:54) with 60 secs jog between each. I thought the legs might still be a bit tired but I felt really good for this one. Paces were 6:45, 41, 44, 43, 42, 47, 44, 41, 43, 46, 43 and 44. Warm up and cool down brought total miles up to 7.3

Thursday 1st: 60 mins very easy. Once again my 9:30 pace was a bit faster than the 9:44 target. I should get a grip on this or I'm in danger of being the one telling others to slow down as I go too fast! ;) 6.6 miles squeezed in.

Friday 2nd: Rest

Saturday 3rd: Session number 2 for this week. It was a 4*10 mins @ HMP (7:20) with 2 mins rest or jog in between. As I have been doing recently I tied this in with my Parkrun tourism and efforts to get all the Dublin parkruns ticked off. This week I made my way to Poolbeg and wasn't I lucky the day I picked...clear blue skies and a beautiful low sun over Dublin Bay, glorious :) I timed it so that I could do 2 of the intervals before the Parkrun and 2 during it. First one was a bit slow but I'll blame the watch for that! A slightly late start to the Parkrun meant I had longer than 2 mins rest there. It's a lovely run out to the nature reserve with a little hill at the U turn back towards the start. 4th interval was a little fast as I wouldn't let some guy past me in a sprint finish :pac: :pac: I'd recommend this Parkrun to anyone. Afterwards as part of my cooldown I jogged across the wide sandy expanses of Sandymount strand. A really enjoyable morning. Total miles 10.21

Sunday 4th: Plan said 2 hours @ 9:21. I did 2hrs 14 min @ 9:18 for 14.41 miles....not so fast as to get me into trouble. Headed to the PP for this. Driving across town it was lashing a dirty wet kind of sleet and not very appealing. However by the time I parked up at the Hole in the Wall it had cleared up...cold but beautiful. Made my mind up to stay on grass and trail paths and do 2 laps starting off on the trail along the wall to Castleknock gate and on down past Farmleigh to Knockmaroon gate. Then I turned back to the Furze Road and then across the fields down to the hospital and across to the Magazine fort. From there it was back to the Hole in the Wall. I changed my mind about doing a second lap and did a loop including the Castleknock section of DCM, coming back into the Park at Farmleigh gate. I think it was my favourite run ever!!! Mucky, slippy, sloppy, cold at times but by the Lord Jaysus I loved it!!

Went out for a few pints last night and still enthused by my morning run I had fancy Dan plans to buy spikes and do the BHAA XC in ALSAA later this month. Thankfully the beer had left my system by morning and my senses had returned :D

Thanks for taking the (long) time to read. Happy running to y'all.

Weekly miles: 50.3. YTD miles 231.1

Great week S. You're fairly clocking up the miles :eek: Well done :)

See Trails are fun :D great week training S

Baby75 wrote: »
    See Trails are fun :D great week training S

Yeah they're fun for a jog! :pac:

Yeah they're fun for a jog! :pac:

:D good training for the legs ;)

Well done Sean. Make sure you slow right down now ;)

Well done Sean. Make sure you slow right down now ;)

I know...3 secs a mile too fast on my long run...shocking!! :(

Another great week of training S; fairly cranking up the miles!

You know you want to get those spikes....go on go on go on! Embrace XC!

• Advertisement

Another great week of training S; fairly cranking up the miles!

You know you want to get those spikes....go on go on go on! Embrace XC!

:) I agree

Advertisement