Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

I reckon we're going to win by a million points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

I reckon we're going to win by a million points

You reckon we won't score in the second half?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I think this is a huge game for Schimdt.
    This is a full strength Irish team against what is still an in flux French team.
    Where does the Irish team go from here if they put in a flat performance and lose tomorrow?
    There's no excuses in terms of players missing to fall back on. Leinster are in amazing form.
    It's probably the most pressure an Irish team has been under in a while.
    A loss tomorrow would be a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

My concerns would the line out without Toner and the defence getting too narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Stheno wrote: »

Good, that's something that's really been creeping into the game lately. POM better keep his trap shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Just re-watched last year's match. You just forget how good Heaslip is/was.

I went and checked his stats after; 15 tackles none missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Top notch cock up from RTE's production staff in the U20 coverage. Went to an ad but immediately it cut back to the studio with none of the presenters aware they were live again. And by the sounds of it neither were the production staff. They were talking about queuing up the next segment then went dead silent when realised they were on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

vetinari wrote: »
    This is a full strength Irish team against what is still an in flux French team.
    Where does the Irish team go from here if they put in a flat performance and lose tomorrow?
    There's no excuses in terms of players missing to fall back on. Leinster are in amazing form.

A loss is only a disaster if we don't perform.

If we play very well but France play brilliantly, which is possible, then a defeat isn't the end of the world.

In the same way, if France are rubbish but we only stumble to a poxy win, is that a good thing?

Let's just see how the game goes and judge it then.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just re-watched last year's match. You just forget how good Heaslip is/was.

I went and checked his stats after; 15 tackles none missed.

Nope. Crap player. Sure didn't we beat England without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Faugheen wrote: »
    Nope. Crap player. Sure didn't we beat England without him.

How did he keep getting picked for Leinster, Ireland and the Lions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A loss is only a disaster if we don't perform.

If we play very well but France play brilliantly, which is possible, then a defeat isn't the end of the world.

In the same way, if France are rubbish but we only stumble to a poxy win, is that a good thing?

Let's just see how the game goes and judge it then.

No, no, no. Schmidtt's job is on the line. If Ireland losses then JS should be fired. No excuses. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

mfceiling wrote: »

Sure what difference does common sense make?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Faugheen wrote: »
    Sure what difference does common sense make?

Thing about common sense is that it isn't that common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

mfceiling wrote: »

Jedi mind tricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

vetinari wrote: »

So is that all your knives sharpened so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Useless piece of info - yet revealing!
    WHEN Ireland win on Saturday
    Ian Henderson will be the only Irish player in “modern” history* to have a 100% record having played France more than once in in Paris

*Edit: t don’t know about before 1931!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jedi mind tricks?

That's a different Irish number 8...

r4tVupe.jpg?1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Good, that's something that's really been creeping into the game lately. POM better keep his trap shut.

To be fair to O'Mahony, that seemed like an atypical (but potentially costly) lapse from him.

There was another game earlier in the season where Munster were 5-10 metres out and ,after some scrum re-starts, you could hear him in the ref mike saying "Munster, keep quiet" as the ref was giving instructions to the front rows, and re-setting. Hopefully we'll see more of the latter and less of the former.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's a different Irish number 8...

r4tVupe.jpg?1

I f**king loved that moment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

molloyjh wrote:
    So is that all your knives sharpened so?
    Ha! I expect Ireland to win.
    Just commenting on the pressure Ireland will be under.
    Is there a single major player missing from the squad? Heaslip is about the only one I can think of. There are literally no excuses for losing tomorrow if we consider ourselves a top 5 country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

7a8e15e7.jpg0_rdax_365x365_80.jpg

Stade de France, 5.45pm local time/4.45pm Irish time. Live coverage on TV3 (HD where available, BBC 1 HD, DMAX, FR2, NBC, RTÉ Radio 1 and on the IRFU Live Blog.

FRANCE: Geoffrey Palis (Castres); Teddy Thomas (Racing 92), Rémi Lamerat (Clermont Auvergne), Henry Chavancy (Racing 92), Virimi Vakatawa (Racing 92); Matthieu Jalibert (Bordeaux-Bègles), Maxime Machenaud (Racing 92);

Jefferson Poirot (Bordeaux-Bègles), Guilhem Guirado (Toulon) (capt), Rabah Slimani (Clermont Auvergne), Sébastien Vahaamahina (Clermont Auvergne), Arthur Iturria (Clermont Auvergne), Wenceslas Lauret (Racing 92), Yacouba Camara (Montpellier), Kévin Gourdon (La Rochelle).

Replacements: Adrien Pelissié (Bordeaux-Bègles), Dany Priso (La Rochelle), Cedate Gomes Sa (Racing 92), Paul Gabrillagues (La Rochelle), Marco Tauleigne (Bordeaux-Bègles), Antoine Dupont (Toulouse), Anthony Belleau (Toulon), Benjamin Fall (Montpellier).

IRELAND: Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster); Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster), Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster), Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht), Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster); Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster);

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster), Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (capt), Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster), James Ryan (UCD/Leinster), Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster), Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster), CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster).

Replacements: Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster), John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster), Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster), Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster), Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster), Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster).

Referee: Owens the Ref (Wales)
    Assistant Referees: Wayne Barnes (England), Paul Williams (New Zealand)
    Upstairs: Rowan Kitt (England)

Preview. To paraphrase the words of St. Pepper, it was 20 years ago when Irish Rugby began it's revolution to where it is now, not in 2000 as many would believe but in 1998. And the flint that lit the fire was in a much maligned 18-16 test loss to France, with an Irish team solely selected by interim new coach Warren Gatland. That season saw a Gallic Grand slam; it was also the last time were we got the wooden spoon. Back then, the French Out Half wasn't even born then nor was TV3; more on them later.

Today's rugby outlook is rather different. Led by the most revered coach in the modern game, Ireland are touted by many as 6N favourites while a whimpering France are looking as if they may finish last under new coach, Jacques Brunel. A wag could say that this game could easy a battle of Silverware and Kitchenware, that also including the action on Sunday. Hold the horses chief, they pull more than chariots you know.

The Teams. It's almost cliched to state that this years teams are all suffering with serious injuries for key players. Ireland, it would appear, are the exception to the rule as the starting team could easy start a test on any given weekend. While there is no Heaslip and O'Brien, frankly they have not been missed given the strength and depth of the cover and that is a good thing for us. What will almost certainly happen is for the French to try and injure Sexton from early on. This enforcement has served them well in the past and cover for JS is the main cause of concern, both tactically in terms of cover at fly half and emotionally. Alone, the thought of having him play deeper a la ROG will affect Irish tactics and well we know it; will it be picked up on the day or not of the worst happens?
    rugby-johnny-sexton-ireland_3415444.jpg?20160213190149

Besides that, the main talking point has been the call up for James Ryan and Keith Earls. Both have been playing fine football this season and both deserve their spots. A physical midfield of Henshaw and Aki shows that backing down in defence isn't an option this weekend; they may also be there to give JS a little bit of help from stray runners in loop arounds and loose ball situations.
    skysports-james-ryan-leinster_4164105.jpg?20171123155846

For the French, an enforced break for Bastareaud and an injury for Fofana mean that steamroller ball will be less of a worry. On the other hand, the speed and mobility of 19 year old debutant Matthieu Jalibert adds a serious danger to their back options and at pace he will cause trouble, as will fellow debutant Castres Olympique full back Geoffrey Palis.
    TELEMMGLPICT000147082645_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0UhoV7p1ULASo075cpE22pxWLfs5mAvkbXYQqrLnBas.jpeg?imwidth=450

A solid pack is led by Toulon hooker Guilhem Guirado, who should be fit to play after a stomach bug hit the French training camp this week. Behind him are the Clermont Auvergne second rows Sebastien Vahaamahina and Arthur Iturria while Yacouba Camara makes a welcome return at flanker.

The Verdict. It's a cliche to ask what French team will turn up but the stark reality is that the main difference that this should make is in how much of a fight they will make. The Irish team are far stronger on paper, far less disrupted and far more balanced over the park. While the French team are good enough to win, their opposition are far less likely to lose than France are to win. They will and are able to fight but these days they don't seem to want to as much. A pity but hey, I'll take the win with or without Ryal Nugent and a hope that TV3's Head of Sports will have No Regrets....

I really need to read the fora better before writing long winded posts in future :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057837352

PS Mods, you can lock my old tread if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oooh! Match thread fight...

Oooh! Match thread fight...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That is a low low blow.

“No you do the match thread Swiwi”

Meanwhile plotting behind the scenes.

I propose a truce: mods combine into 1 thread and then the match preview becomes not only a collectors item but also something you can read while sitting on the thrown with pre-match nerves.

The alternative is that I send my homies down to sort out Losty

NO MORE SLEEPS, NO MORE SLEEPS

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NO MORE SLEEPS, NO MORE SLEEPS

Stop shouting! I'm trying to get some sleep!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Stop shouting! I'm trying to get some sleep!!

Kids are up, which means im up, which means you are up.

Also - Hi Molloy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Who on earth would still be asleep at this hour?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement