Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole food plant based MD

Options
  • 19-01-2018 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a medical Doctor who is onboard with a whole food plant based eating plan. Dublin based.
    Does anyone know any and have you been?
    Hoping there is more than one to choose from.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Anyone?

All doctors advocate healthy eating.

Ok, let me be more specific.
    I am looking for a Dr who believes in coming off blood pressure and cholesterol tablets in favour of a whole food plant based plan and will support it. One that I can meet, talk to and discuss my specific health with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It might be a bit tricky to find someone who both has a medical degree and will "support" you doing something medically dangerous.

I see one post saying there is one in Dublin but the person hasn’t replied to me.
    They are out there alright, at least worldwide, but I was hoping for one in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

It might be a bit tricky to find someone who both has a medical degree and will "support" you doing something medically dangerous.

Sooo if you do it right ...What is so "medically dangerous" about a plant based diet ? ... enlighten me

weisses wrote: »
    Sooo if you do it right ...What is so "medically dangerous" about a plant based diet ? ... enlighten me

Feck all, I'm on one myself.

Coming off blood pressure and cholesterol medication, on the other hand...

Feck all, I'm on one myself.

Coming off blood pressure and cholesterol medication, on the other hand...

But is it medically dangerous if you are on a proper plant based diet ?

What would this type of doctor do differently to any other doctor?

I'd assume all doctors would monitor cholesterol levels and reduce the dose accordingly.

Give moral support, hold my hand. :)
    Give advice. My own GP wouldn’t do that because he doesn’t believe in it.
    I would rather work with a Doctor who is going to be positive about it, not negative.

• Advertisement

Also, maybe give examples of people he has helped do this. I want to do it but am a bit unsure.

Give moral support, hold my hand. :)
    Give advice. My own GP wouldn’t do that because he doesn’t believe in it.
    I would rather work with a Doctor who is going to be positive about it, not negative.

Do you mind me asking what your doctor said about a whole plant diet?

Seems strange that a doctor would be negative about it.

So, when I started on cholesterol tablets my cholesterol was somewhere around 6.5. The cardiologist put me on cholesterol tablets because all my family have had heart problems.
    Next time I was at my GP, maybe six months to a year later my cholesterol was 4.2 or 3.9 or something like that. My GP was delighted. But when I said that I had changed my diet and maybe it helped he said there is no way a diet could change your cholesterol that much.
    There ye have it.

But is it medically dangerous if you are on a proper plant based diet ?

Is what medically dangerous? Stopping medication or the diet?

So, when I started on cholesterol tablets my cholesterol was somewhere around 6.5. The cardiologist put me on cholesterol tablets because all my family have had heart problems.
    Next time I was at my GP, maybe six months to a year later my cholesterol was 4.2 or 3.9 or something like that. My GP was delighted. But when I said that I had changed my diet and maybe it helped he said there is no way a diet could change your cholesterol that much.
    There ye have it.

Don't think the doctor was being negative just giving his professional opinion.

Why do you think it was your diet rather than the medicine?

There ye have it.

From Dr Google diet and lifestyle changes can reduce cholesterol by up to 20%.

Looks like your Doctor was right.

Because there are Drs and articles out there that say so.
    I’d rather try it than take pills for the rest of my life.

jh79 wrote: »
    There ye have it.

From Dr Google diet and lifestyle changes can reduce cholesterol by up to 20%.

Looks like your Doctor was right.

Depends on who you want to believe.

Is what medically dangerous? Stopping medication or the diet?

Both .... One being the result of the other ... when properly monitored

Look at “Forks over Knives” on Netflix if u like.

• Advertisement

Genetics and age are two of the most significant risk factors for high blood pressure. Diet and lifestyle are other factors, but a plant based diet is not going to change when you were born or who to.

Plant based diet = not dangerous

Ceasing medication prescribed for something that can lead to heart disease and stroke, when there's a family history of same = dangerous.

Pretty simple.

Genetics and age are two of the most significant risk factors for high blood pressure. Diet and lifestyle are other factors, but a plant based diet is not going to change when you were born or who to.

Plant based diet = not dangerous

Ceasing medication prescribed for something that can lead to heart disease and stroke, when there's a family history of same = dangerous.

Pretty simple.

There has been much research in the last 30 years that indicates genetics have nothing to do high blood pressure or heart disease.
    Some people never heard that. Some have and choose not to believe it. Some believe it. I just happen to want to believe it.
    I don’t mind if you believe it or not. Not trying to sell any lifestyle etc.
    Just looking for a Dr. that suits me.

Look at “Forks over Knives” on Netflix if u like.

Science behind that seems a bit dodgy.

https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

Yes of course you will get a review that puts it down. All probably paid for by the drug companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Yes of course you will get a review that puts it down. All probably paid for by the drug companies.

As if the drug companies would bother pay for bad reviews for a movie which promotes a plant based diet. As someone who eats a plant based diet I hate this daft paranoia about drug companies.

Find a GP who is open to or follows such a diet so they have helpful advice on that lifestyle choice (looking out for B12 etc). You’re on drugs because they work and you had reason to be put on them. If you no longer need them then any decent GP will not prescribe them for you - you will either need them or you won’t.

Drugs obviously worked for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Yes of course you will get information to support plant based diet to cure everything. All probably paid for by the alternative health companies.

Sure throw the statins in the bin and just bath in coconut milk instead...

jive wrote: »

As if the drug companies would bother pay for bad reviews for a movie which promotes a plant based diet. As someone who eats a plant based diet I hate this daft paranoia about drug companies.

Find a GP who is open to or follows such a diet so they have helpful advice on that lifestyle choice (looking out for B12 etc). You’re on drugs because they work and you had reason to be put on them. If you no longer need them then any decent GP will not prescribe them for you - you will either need them or you won’t.

Really? Look for a GP? Did u read my first post?
    There are false reviews on everything these days. You have got to be kidding me thinking drugs companies wouldn’t be bothered.

jh79 wrote: »

Drugs obviously worked for you!

I know they worked for me and still do. I never said they didn’t. I am just looking for an alternative.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »

Yes of course you will get information to support plant based diet to cure everything. All probably paid for by the alternative health companies.

Sure throw the statins in the bin and just bath in coconut milk instead...

I plan to. Sounds great.

Advertisement