Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

No was an lit tractor unit. But I'm sure she's still earning her keep too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

That man is a legend.:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Talk about crossing the finishing line in style :pac:

Old video but who here would try it?

https://www.facebook.com/d2mcanal/videos/942439599147066/

• Advertisement

Id give it a go but would want to be a small tractor unit like the one in the video. Long wheel base 6X2 xl cab would be bit trickier

Got a love the yanks
    https://youtu.be/NXhZ6jlqFTI

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Got a love the yanks
    https://youtu.be/NXhZ6jlqFTI

You’d be hard pushed to get a truck as loud as that here.

I live on a main road with a 3.5t weight limit off the m50 and any truck delivering to the areas beyond me who has to go the "normal" route has an extra 20 minutes added into their journey. The weight limits not policed. 1 nimby (taxi driver) in the area tried to get an anti HGV Facebook group going last year which failed spectacularly. Personally it doesn't bother me and see some nice yokes passing the house. Though did come out of the house at 7am one morning few weeks back to find a wareberers parked up having a cuppa across a few of the neighbours driveways

• Advertisement

Dublin is hard going at times. I was going to a site in ballsbridge last year on a nearly daily biases 6x2 and 45 foot flat. Only way to get to the gate to back in was around a restricted (big wide) road or an illigel u turn at a junction just below the site. Sometimes you just can't win.

You'd get the odd scania wit stacks or side pipes but our exhaust brakes are nothing compared to the jake brakes.

Dublin is hard going at times. I was going to a site in ballsbridge last year on a nearly daily biases 6x2 and 45 foot flat. Only way to get to the gate to back in was around a restricted (big wide) road or an illigel u turn at a junction just below the site. Sometimes you just can't win.

You'd get the odd scania wit stacks or side pipes but our exhaust brakes are nothing compared to the jake brakes.

The 2 places I had issues with weight limits were in Limerick near Mary Immaculate College and in Tralee near “The Bullring”

I was in a coach each time but I literally had no choice owing to my intended destination.

Even near where I live there is a road called Blarney Street, it clearly states the road is unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles and is a 3T weight limit, using to schools/business/residential areas there, trucks have no choice but to travel down it.

neris wrote: »
    I live on a main road with a 3.5t weight limit off the m50 and any truck delivering to the areas beyond me who has to go the "normal" route has an extra 20 minutes added into their journey. The weight limits not policed. 1 nimby (taxi driver) in the area tried to get an anti HGV Facebook group going last year which failed spectacularly. Personally it doesn't bother me and see some nice yokes passing the house. Though did come out of the house at 7am one morning few weeks back to find a wareberers parked up having a cuppa across a few of the neighbours driveways

2 of my relatives are taxi drivers, they hate truckers and on one occasion one of them tried to make my life hell on a narrow bridge trying to get me to reverse the Artic, cops called the works so I know how twisted some of them are.

What is the general opinion of residents to HGV’s passing through?

Coming out of the house and seeing the truck obscuring a persons property isn’t ideal.

The 2 places I had issues with weight limits were in Limerick near Mary Immaculate College and in Tralee near “The Bullring”

I was in a coach each time but I literally had no choice owing to my intended destination.

Even near where I live there is a road called Blarney Street, it clearly states the road is unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles and is a 3T weight limit, using to schools/business/residential areas there, trucks have no choice but to travel down it.

Blarney st isnt ideal for a big van never mind a bus and Shanakiel isnt much better. To be honest I'd hate to be facing into a multi drop in cork city if I didn't know it because you know yourself it's easy make a stupid little mistake when your under pressure and a lot of the north side a street just narrows all of a shot.

Blarney st isnt ideal for a big van never mind a bus and Shanakiel isnt much better. To be honest I'd hate to be facing into a multi drop in cork city if I didn't know it because you know yourself it's easy make a stupid little mistake when your under pressure and a lot of the north side a street just narrows all of a shot.

Bin trucks go down Blarney Street, the full length of it,full sized trucks at that.

As for multi drop, you’d see 18T rigids on all parts of the street delivering to the corner shops.

I’ve seen 53 seater coaches doing school runs and having to reverse into City View Mews.

This happened on Gurranabraher Avenue where it heads for Blarney Street in October.

There was a sign here advising it wasn’t suitable.

https://www.facebook.com/CllrThomasGould/posts/1713205158724481

It has happened to many including myself once in Wexford in a rigid bit nowhere near that level.

The Gardai had to stop traffic for the truck to reverse the full way back up the hill.

I remember that residents were onto prendeville that Google maps were sending hgvs up there.

I know I see it myself every day I just meant it's tough for someone who would have no idea of the area.

I remember a few mounts ago i was going to a place in Waterford for the first time just beyond WIT. Not in the IDA it's a building on it's own and it's a bit hidden. At the end of that road it's all residential and 3.5t. If you passed it you could get yourself into a lot of bother in an artic.

I remember that residents were onto prendeville that Google maps were sending hgvs up there.

I know I see it myself every day I just meant it's tough for someone who would have no idea of the area.

I remember a few mounts ago i was going to a place in Waterford for the first time just beyond WIT. Not in the IDA it's a building on it's own and it's a bit hidden. At the end of that road it's all residential and 3.5t. If you passed it you could get yourself into a lot of bother in an artic.

Yeah google maps did indeed send trucks up there.

Anyone who is an outsider from the area who gets caught up in it has my full sympathy, clearly because they would be none the wiser to it.

As for Waterford, is that in Ballybeg?

• Advertisement

Yeah google maps did indeed send trucks up there.

Anyone who is an outsider from the area who gets caught up in it has my full sympathy, clearly because they would be none the wiser to it.

As for Waterford, is that in Ballybeg?

No Belvedere think it's mctrans

Swear that was the Volvo I did my test in when she was a tractor unit n we nearly 10 years ago

No Belvedere think it's mctrans

I'll have to keep an eye out next time i'm down that way.

Swear that was the Volvo I did my test in when she was a tractor unit n we nearly 10 years ago

Did you do it with O'Leary's?

Did you do it with O'Leary's?

Ya done the rigid in mallow and artic with Brian they were good to be fair to them. Passed with a clean sheet.

Ya done the rigid in mallow and artic with Brian they were good to be fair to them. Passed with a clean sheet.

That's the truck you done the artic in then.

Done my own rigid in Mallow in 2012.

Artic in Limerick in 2015.

Done the Bus with Brian & Kieran (RIP).

2 Brilliant instructors.

Well done on the clean sheet.

That's the truck you done the artic in then.

Done my own rigid in Mallow in 2012.

Artic in Limerick in 2015.

Done the Bus with Brian & Kieran (RIP).

2 Brilliant instructors.

Well done on the clean sheet.

Twas pure luck you know yourself it's like backing into the same place 10 times a day u won't always do it in one

• Advertisement

Twas pure luck you know yourself it's like backing into the same place 10 times a day u won't always do it in one

Was that in the compound in Curraheen?

Advertisement