Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Rave.ef wrote: »
    An POV of the life.

Were you waiting to be loaded or unloaded?

My work wouldn't take me into the port for anything bar collecting a trailer, and that was just the once.

Getting hungry now after seeing that picture.

maxflinn wrote: »
    I'm easy to be honest. I realise that it may take a while before I've the necessary experience to apply for the better jobs and am resigned to taking whatever I can get in the meantime. It'll all be experience anyway.

I like the idea of driving them but it's a steady income that I decided to get into it for, more than the driving. Far better than being stuck in some factory though, at least I'm hoping :)

The thoughts of being in a static job are a big turn off for me hence the open road is far better.

As for the steady income bit, i suppose it would be, the amount can vary though if it's by the hour.

The daily rate can have good days such as if you finish early, or bad days if you are out for 15/16 hours.

One of these passed me on the Commons Road in Cork earlier on,didn't get the full reg but definitely Ex Lonergan's, now operating with Christy Lucey Ballyvourney. What a truck.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/18398917891/in/album-72157653500038399/

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

Here's another old one for you . F 10 for sale .
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-f10/17311066

• Advertisement

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    Here's another old one for you . F 10 for sale .
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-f10/17311066

If only i had €9250 and a big shed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nice, saw another one of their renaults a few weeks back and looks really well in their colour scheme. Saw a magnum aswell parked up yesterday and the colours looked good, im not a fan of magnums at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Were you waiting to be loaded or unloaded?

My work wouldn't take me into the port for anything bar collecting a trailer, and that was just the once.

Getting hungry now after seeing that picture.

Box off in p&o and after the grub went to jp ryans for an empty. Wouldn't be bothered with going to the re store across from Ryan's all you get is muck

Those Renault are one of the nicest trucks I've driven

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Nice, saw another one of their renaults a few weeks back and looks really well in their colour scheme. Saw a magnum aswell parked up yesterday and the colours looked good, im not a fan of magnums at all.
    This one?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36917100@N06/22273553065/in/photolist-zWeMjZ-qofD74-63RqPR-t7hCmi-ffQEdZ-prroaS-8QMEdM-9sJxUy-jAHM1X-6cScWN-u7aDL-9mSiRq-e8eauw-9A9Jz-9GSkZy-9uAmwn-81hsKa-rnLSA4-dzU5yc-9GPsYZ-c1LWS5-eaZLmL-dNqXDC-jbDn3Z-W1qwKS-ddc4F6-3jgQs8-3jgQVi-fqrGZY-63cZoB-8RfGUY-3MC9bn-3MC5De-86swWf-3MC8Qk-3MC5qH-eJxg2m-dy8QLi-6uLr4-dXHkYE-63Rbg5-hDRJV-ufb9i-89Dj6Y-ew3tzm-fPY7VM-3jgQH8-mC9adS-7zF2xz-o7A93u

Might be a Renault badge on it, but underneath she's a Volvo. I love them :D

I've repeatedly asked my bosses to get a Magnum or even a Renault T, i was politely told NO :(

Box off in p&o and after the grub went to jp ryans for an empty. Wouldn't be bothered with going to the re store across from Ryan's all you get is muck

Sounds like a handy enough number you have.

Yeah i called into that place once, utter dirt.

I've often gotten half a slice pan,ham cheese butter and a plastic knife in the supermarket.

Can't forget the flask either ;)

Sounds like a handy enough number you have.

Yeah i called into that place once, utter dirt.

I've often gotten half a slice pan,ham cheese butter and a plastic knife in the supermarket.

Can't forget the flask either ;)

I dono about that. In port of cork now and will only have an hours driving time left to get home once I'm through the q and after a 45.

I dono about that. In port of cork now and will only have an hours driving time left to get home once I'm through the q and after a 45.

Caught by the tacho?

Much happening in the port this hour?

I'm off until Monday.

Finishing up next week for a few weeks then.

Caught by the tacho?

Much happening in the port this hour?

I'm off until Monday.

Finishing up next week for a few weeks then.

Ya between the way the road was from mallow to mitchelstown this morning and the blizzard on the way to Dublin I lost the bones of an hour.

Ya little more then I'd hope and at the same time then they moved little too quick because at times youd manage a sneaky break on the q on the tacho.

Where you on today. Was hoping to have finished earlier but there's always one last load.

Ya between the way the road was from mallow to mitchelstown this morning and the blizzard on the way to Dublin I lost the bones of an hour.

Ya little more then I'd hope and at the same time then they moved little too quick because at times youd manage a sneaky break on the q on the tacho.

Where you on today. Was hoping to have finished earlier but there's always one last load.

The Mallow to Mitchelstown Road is hell in good weather, let alone bad.

I’d say we’re all a bit guilty of the sneaky tacho break.

Did it myself a handful of times, it was 9 hours once :pac:

Was above in Galway for myself.

That M17/18 is a godsend.

What time did you get out of it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Great idea for a forum lads.

The father used to drive in the 70's and 80's. I was a nipper and getting to ride shotgun was the greatest pleasure you could imagine.

He did a lot of England work and then all ireland. Even remember the mother, myself and the 2 brothers going on runs with him!! 3 lads sitting on the bed in the back!!

He would have been in F10 and F12's, 141's and various ERF's. The very last yoke he drove was a very dark blue Daf 3300....he kept it immaculate and was in the process of buying it and going out on his own. It was left in to the garage by his employer at the time for a full service before the sale, and a young apprentice mechanic was showing off in it around the yard, and he smashed it in to a wall making absolute shìte of it!! Truck career finished.

I still have fond memories of his time in the lorry and I have huge respect for you lads on the roads.

Keep on trucking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

There nice to drive but the steering wheel is to big in them causing me to get a sore back from driving them.

The Mallow to Mitchelstown Road is hell in good weather, let alone bad.

I’d say we’re all a bit guilty of the sneaky tacho break.

Did it myself a handful of times, it was 9 hours once :pac:

Was above in Galway for myself.

That M17/18 is a godsend.

What time did you get out of it in the end?

Only used the new section of road once but I'd say outside of peak times there isn't much of a time saver just a better road.

Left the port at 6 after the break got a clear run through Blackpool.. never happens... was in the door home 10 to 7. She got a quick spin down the road;-)

There nice to drive but the steering wheel is to big in them causing me to get a sore back from driving them.

Wheel didn't really bother me but then again it's a MAN I'm in always so the renault wheel is about the same. Again Volvo comes out on top tidy steering wheel makes life so much easier.

• Advertisement

Here's the Top Gear HGV Challenge episode for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3o1ty7

Only used the new section of road once but I'd say outside of peak times there isn't much of a time saver just a better road.

Left the port at 6 after the break got a clear run through Blackpool.. never happens... was in the door home 10 to 7. She got a quick spin down the road;-)

I never went the old road and only know the new one, the west of Ireland was never somewhere i fancied very much so never travelled it until recently for work purposes :pac:

They increased the speed limit from Tinkers Cross in Mayfield to the Glen Boxing club up to 60km/h that might have encouraged others to go a small bit faster.

But as it was a Friday you avoided rush hour in the area, it's a bigger curse if you're going from Blackpool to Tivoli.

You done well to get home for that time :D

I never went the old road and only know the new one, the west of Ireland was never somewhere i fancied very much so never travelled it until recently for work purposes :pac:

They increased the speed limit from Tinkers Cross in Mayfield to the Glen Boxing club up to 60km/h that might have encouraged others to go a small bit faster.

But as it was a Friday you avoided rush hour in the area, it's a bigger curse if you're going from Blackpool to Tivoli.

You done well to get home for that time :D

Your lucky used to be a nightmare from clanebridge to claregalway. Then tuam was another headache. But not so bad now anymore the section of n17 from tuam to claremorris isn't so bad.

I know all too well. I ended up being few mins over going to the port but used the poa in the queue to hold the time. I keep the card as best I can so if mr RSA man stops me I should be ok. Only one infringement last year so try keep it the same this year.

Your lucky used to be a nightmare from clanebridge to claregalway. Then tuam was another headache. But not so bad now anymore the section of n17 from tuam to claremorris isn't so bad.

I know all too well. I ended up being few mins over going to the port but used the poa in the queue to hold the time. I keep the card as best I can so if mr RSA man stops me I should be ok. Only one infringement last year so try keep it the same this year.

I heard all the stories from the old timers above in Dublin one day about all the old roads, i'd have sat there for hours listening to them, how times are now very different.

A few minutes here and there isn't much once you don't take the p1ss.

I was stopped at the maldron hotel in Wexford 2 years ago,at the weighbridge, they went over the truck top to bottom and my tacho with it.

Was driving a 2010 DAF LF that day, what an awful journey it was

mfceiling wrote: »
    Great idea for a forum lads.

The father used to drive in the 70's and 80's. I was a nipper and getting to ride shotgun was the greatest pleasure you could imagine.

He did a lot of England work and then all ireland. Even remember the mother, myself and the 2 brothers going on runs with him!! 3 lads sitting on the bed in the back!!

He would have been in F10 and F12's, 141's and various ERF's. The very last yoke he drove was a very dark blue Daf 3300....he kept it immaculate and was in the process of buying it and going out on his own. It was left in to the garage by his employer at the time for a full service before the sale, and a young apprentice mechanic was showing off in it around the yard, and he smashed it in to a wall making absolute shìte of it!! Truck career finished.

I still have fond memories of his time in the lorry and I have huge respect for you lads on the roads.

Keep on trucking!!

Don't suppose you'd have any photos of the lovely ladies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Drove the length and breath of Ireland and the UK back in the day earning decent wedge with a few euro trips a year thrown in. The tacho, CPC and open borders work market rules have destroyed it as a viable way to pay the bills for most. I'm lucky i got out when i did tbh but i tip my hat to anyone doing it now. Know one lad who works in Aldi now and makes better money but he misses the driving terribly. Sad but that's the world we live in.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Drove the length and breath of Ireland and the UK back in the day earning decent wedge with a few euro trips a year thrown in. The tacho, CPC and open borders work market rules have destroyed it as a viable way to pay the bills for most. I'm lucky i got out when i did tbh but i tip my hat to anyone doing it now. Know one lad who works in Aldi now and makes better money but he misses the driving terribly. Sad but that's the world we live in.

A guy i know who was doing it 30/40 years ago was on money so good he bought his house in cash.

Lidl offered me a job last year to come off the road on €11.50 an hour, i refused it, an offering of a 20 hour contract being the main reason.

If i could have juggled 2 jobs with a family i'd have done it.

Last time I was stopped was in an anolog fh on the youghal bypass the lad sat in with me said it's a waste of time looking at that sheet, offered him a cup of tay kept him chatting for half hour nice guy just doing a job. But a lot of them can be hard work.

I love listening to the old lads the story's some come out with are unreal. Even my old man going with him when I was young that's what got me into it. He's still at it too but treats it like the old days I'd be telling him he should be drawing cattle or milk because the tacho is only a decoration in the xf.
    I couldnt go off the road into a shop or factory don't like the company of others :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

That ladies and gentlemen is better then any adult material

Advertisement