Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

You don't see too many drivers name plates of "Paul" or "Dave" sitting in the windscreens of Nolan Transport trucks these days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Zaph wrote: »
    I've no idea why the poll is here, the request is in the Forum Requests Forum, which is where people should be indicating their interest.

As in comment with a Yes or No?

Odelay wrote: »
    You don't see too many drivers name plates of "Paul" or "Dave" sitting in the windscreens of Nolan Transport trucks these days.....

They are getting rare with most companies out there.

A former colleague has his nickname as one alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Zaph wrote: »
    I've no idea why the poll is here, the request is in the Forum Requests Forum, which is where people should be indicating their interest.

I'd say most were thinking they were voting yes or no using the poll here.
    Lads ye need to rock over the the forum requests in the link and say +1 if in favour -1 if against.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

https://twitter.com/VirginiaIntl/status/931541856814555136

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As in comment with a Yes or No?
    Odelay wrote: »
    I'd say most were thinking they were voting yes or no using the poll here.
    Lads ye need to rock over the the forum requests in the link and say +1 if in favour -1 if against.

Yep, simply +1 or -1 will do please. It just makes it simpler for us to keep track of requests as at the moment that thread looks like there's no interest and we wouldn't necessarily have thought of going looking for a poll elsewhere.

Btw, this bit is important, if you don't satisfy both criteria I'm afraid your vote in the Forum Requests forum won't count:

A user must have 50 posts or more, AND have been a member of the site for at least three months in order to vote on any new forum proposals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

westgolf wrote: »
    Fine piece of kit but not the most practical set up. I could only see this trunking between two depots for instance and both would have to be set up equipment n loading Bay wise to handle it

The fact that they are curtainsider makes it easier for loading and unloading. If it was to be a drive on load not many places would have a room for it. I know at the moment it's only running from cork to Dublin and I think Eoin Gavin is/was running one also id put money on it that these will become more common in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Hi truckers,

Id imagine there is only certain yards / depots that these can work between with one way system, as it would be difficult to reverse, maybe not. Most existing yards are tight enough at 16.5m.
    Also certain routes once you come off the motorway network. What is it like on roundabouts. Would trailer wheels be clipping the inside kerbs on roundabouts, as they dont seem to be steering axles on trailers.

The B trailer would follow the A to a point. Yes you'd have a slightly wider line to take but I don't think it would take too long to get used to it. Id love a go off one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

bren11 wrote: »
    Hi truckers,

Id imagine there is only certain yards / depots that these can work between with one way system, as it would be difficult to reverse, maybe not. Most existing yards are tight enough at 16.5m.
    Also certain routes once you come off the motorway network. What is it like on roundabouts. Would trailer wheels be clipping the inside kerbs on roundabouts, as they dont seem to be steering axles on trailers.

Not a trucker but I saw a lot of this type of truck in Finland last summer, and remember following them through roundabouts and on side roads , the axel's all took the same track , I think they can carry 76 tonnes in Finland

Dublin based Irish School of Motoring (ISM Recruitment) have placed this vacancy in Cork on their website for a rigid driver, i am posting it here purely based on the hourly rate.

It's more than i'm getting to be fair, and better still it's by the hour.

https://www.ismtraining.ie/ism-recruitment/latest-jobs/

Looks like there is 2 fifth wheels. Fifth wheel on end of trailer A would be closer to centre of roundabout, meaning that rear axles would be even closer, I think, any way Id love to drive it, would be tricky with cars trying to cut in on inside lane. Probably not too difficult to reverse in a straight line, but would be fun to bend it around a corner.

bren11 wrote: »
    Looks like there is 2 fifth wheels. Fifth wheel on end of trailer A would be closer to centre of roundabout, meaning that rear axles would be even closer, I think, any way Id love to drive it, would be tricky with cars trying to cut in on inside lane. Probably not too difficult to reverse in a straight line, but would be fun to bend it around a corner.

I dono would I say it would be fun now... id imagine if you were to back that in to a loading bay you'd need to line yourself up more or less straight or a fairly large yard. I would like to try the 5th wheel on a dolly like the Finnish have in the logging. Some very good examples on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Few I took in Meixco & New York towards the end of last year

Yeah that little piece of string is really going to hold all those bricks in a sudden braking img_0210.jpg

This the mexican equivlant of driving your artic down O'Connelll Street in Dublin or some other busy city centre street. They drive through the city towing 2 40 footers aswell
    img_0013.jpg

img_0312.jpg

img_0314.jpg

img_0217.jpg

img_0311.jpg

img_0113.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0216.jpg

img_0016.jpg

img_0413.jpg

img_0510.jpg

img_0610.jpg

img_0412.jpg

neris wrote: »

Yeah that little piece of string is really going to hold all those bricks in a sudden braking img_0210.jpg

This the mexican equivlant of driving your artic down O'Connelll Street in Dublin or some other busy city centre street. They drive through the city towing 2 40 footers aswell
    img_0013.jpg

img_0312.jpg

img_0314.jpg

img_0217.jpg

img_0311.jpg

img_0113.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0216.jpg

img_0016.jpg

img_0413.jpg

img_0510.jpg

img_0610.jpg

img_0412.jpg

Impressive photos there neris.

I'd love to be right up next to those to see how big they are in person.

I have seen a few American style trucks here, but i don't know do they represent the full scale of a truck used in the US.

img_0013.jpg

img_0312.jpg

img_0314.jpg

img_0217.jpg

img_0311.jpg

img_0113.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0216.jpg

img_0016.jpg

img_0413.jpg

img_0510.jpg

img_0610.jpg

img_0412.jpg

There are some B doubles id like a go off of. And those fire engines are cool. Could be wrong but I vaguely remember seeing a video of them crabbing

• Advertisement

They should be doing this with adults. But a great idea
    https://youtu.be/nA89V55ZCxE

Rave.ef wrote: »

You'd do a nice bit of power sliding in that :pac:

They should be doing this with adults. But a great idea
    https://youtu.be/nA89V55ZCxE

How often has it happened to any of us here, less so with children, not in the truck in my own case but in the car, i've had many an adult do it while i was working though.

How often has it happened to any of us here, less so with children, not in the truck in my own case but in the car, i've had many an adult do it while i was working though.

Worst thing that has ever happened to me was on the canal road heading to ballsbridge. A young one stopped dead on the path looking at her phone and let go of the strolle. Started to roll towards the road, I was a good 20 feet away so had plenty of time. She did cop it and grabbed it but if it had happened 30 seconds later and she didn't see it buggy could have ended up under trailer

20180123_101918.jpg

Worst thing that has ever happened to me was on the canal road heading to ballsbridge. A young one stopped dead on the path looking at her phone and let go of the strolle. Started to roll towards the road, I was a good 20 feet away so had plenty of time. She did cop it and grabbed it but if it had happened 30 seconds later and she didn't see it buggy could have ended up under trailer

I've had instances with strollers at traffic lights and people trying to test me by pushing it out a small bit to see will i stop.

Naturally i did, but it p1sses me off :mad:

• Advertisement

20180123_101918.jpg
    She needs a good scrub.

Seen one of them delivering to John Banks tyres before when i was delivering there with disasterlink.

I've had instances with strollers at traffic lights and people trying to test me by pushing it out a small bit to see will i stop.

Naturally i did, but it p1sses me off :mad:

Plenty of that by Hennesseys there in Mayfield. Could pick em out at this stage.

Plenty of that by Hennesseys there in Mayfield. Could pick em out at this stage.

Yeah, the 'Rob and Kill' that place was nicknamed. The junction is tinkers cross. I hate it. The post office has moved onto that complex now which generates more foot traffic and creates a bigger headache for us truckers.

Has anyone here ever worked for Kings Laundry? they are crying out for drivers and i can see why.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the 'Rob and Kill' that place was nicknamed. The junction is tinkers cross. I hate it. The post office has moved onto that complex now which generates more foot traffic and creates a bigger headache for us truckers.

I couldn't for the life of me think of then name of that junction it was as wrecking my head.

Kings laundry, no but I meet one of there drivers before Christmas and by what he was telling me I'm not surprised they can't get drivers.

I couldn't for the life of me think of then name of that junction it was as wrecking my head.

Kings laundry, no but I meet one of there drivers before Christmas and by what he was telling me I'm not surprised they can't get drivers.

Not too many people know that junction. Swinging a corner in an artic there can be challenging as well as cars often overshoot the markings.

Kings Laundry is fairly physical work, they pay €11.50 an hour but no expenses.

I turned them down 3 times, i've yet to see one of their DAF's broken down though.

Here is the list of vacancies for truckers on jobs.ie

https://www.jobs.ie/drivers_jobs.aspx

Flexsource are offering €14 an hour for artic drivers, again they are an agency.

What are the companies doing wrong that the agencies are doing right?

Any extra paid to the drivers from the agencies is recouped via the client/company.

Even having an ADR these days does nothing to boost the wages, unless you work for the likes of Reynolds/Topaz/Calor etc.

Not too many people know that junction. Swinging a corner in an artic there can be challenging as well as cars often overshoot the markings.

Kings Laundry is fairly physical work, they pay €11.50 an hour but no expenses.

I turned them down 3 times, i've yet to see one of their DAF's broken down though.

Here is the list of vacancies for truckers on jobs.ie

https://www.jobs.ie/drivers_jobs.aspx

Flexsource are offering €14 an hour for artic drivers, again they are an agency.

What are the companies doing wrong that the agencies are doing right?

Any extra paid to the drivers from the agencies is recouped via the client/company.

Even having an ADR these days does nothing to boost the wages, unless you work for the likes of Reynolds/Topaz/Calor etc.

Seen one last week on a low loader there own tractor unit pulling it.

I honestly don't know maybe there's minimum expenses paid through agency.

I didn't bother renewing my ADR wasn't worth it at the time but who I'm with now give a little extra for the haz loads. Not enough for me to renew it but the lads that are keeping it up it's a little extra maybe €60 every week

More jobs from Adverts. Can be filtered by county.
    https://www.adverts.ie/jobs/drivers/303307/

O Donovans have been looking awhile. Went up and meet them about a year and a half ago. Really nice people seems to be no bulls**t drove the 164L what a beauty. Was offered the job but it was going to be primarily continent. If I was a single man I honestly would have jumped at if money wasn't bad. Id say if there is any younger lads looking to get into the industry they would be a good start. Put time into training you up properly and the best of gear.

Seen one last week on a low loader there own tractor unit pulling it.

I honestly don't know maybe there's minimum expenses paid through agency.

I didn't bother renewing my ADR wasn't worth it at the time but who I'm with now give a little extra for the haz loads. Not enough for me to renew it but the lads that are keeping it up it's a little extra maybe €60 every week
    They have artics as well have they?

When i was doing agency work it was all built into the hourly rate we were paid.

I didn't renew my ADR either, i never got to use it, i am considering it though, but have to start it all over again and it's expensive.

€60 every week is better than nothing, it would help fund the exams down the line for a refresher course.

O Donovans have been looking awhile. Went up and meet them about a year and a half ago. Really nice people seems to be no bulls**t drove the 164L what a beauty. Was offered the job but it was going to be primarily continent. If I was a single man I honestly would have jumped at if money wasn't bad. Id say if there is any younger lads looking to get into the industry they would be a good start. Put time into training you up properly and the best of gear.

You found them good to deal with them?

Applied a few times, didn't get as much as a call from them.

Mind you though, continental work wouldn't suit me at all with a family.

Did you go far in the 164L?

Even if a single man started out on the continent, it's a great experience guys have been telling me, my own father did it as well.

The continental lads get all the good trucks with the latest spec.

We here get stuff that is 10 years out of date.

You found them good to deal with them?

Applied a few times, didn't get as much as a call from them.

Mind you though, continental work wouldn't suit me at all with a family.

Did you go far in the 164L?

Even if a single man started out on the continent, it's a great experience guys have been telling me, my own father did it as well.

The continental lads get all the good trucks with the latest spec.

We here get stuff that is 10 years out of date.

Only went from they're yard to Middleton and back just to see if I could handle myself id say.

You need as many comforts as possible when your out like that. Coffee machines microwaves fridge A.C. unit on the roof. Good few lads have the tv and ps or Xbox too.

Was talking to a lad about a year ago who used to do it with another lad. 2 trucks doing the same route not 2 drivers to a truck but his buddy wouldn't leave the cab in the evenings used to get pizza or Chinese delivered to the truck. Had a massive heart attack on Germany and couldn't figure out why.

Only went from they're yard to Middleton and back just to see if I could handle myself id say.

You need as many comforts as possible when your out like that. Coffee machines microwaves fridge A.C. unit on the roof. Good few lads have the tv and ps or Xbox too.

Was talking to a lad about a year ago who used to do it with another lad. 2 trucks doing the same route not 2 drivers to a truck but his buddy wouldn't leave the cab in the evenings used to get pizza or Chinese delivered to the truck. Had a massive heart attack on Germany and couldn't figure out why.

Down as far as the Lakeview roundabout and back is it?

As Rustynut mentioned, the Magnum was the daddy for those trips.

Fast food delivered to the truck? And they did it? :eek:

That's the worst part about being a truck or bus driver for many, the diet isn't as straight forward to manage, especially when on abroad.

I was eating all sorts of rubbish when i started out and ballooned, i'm down a bit of weight but not to a level i'm happy with.

Down as far as the Lakeview roundabout and back is it?

As Rustynut mentioned, the Magnum was the daddy for those trips.

Fast food delivered to the truck? And they did it? :eek:

That's the worst part about being a truck or bus driver for many, the diet isn't as straight forward to manage, especially when on abroad.

I was eating all sorts of rubbish when i started out and ballooned, i'm down a bit of weight but not to a level i'm happy with.

No went in by cgi and back out.
    I suppose delivery is delivery even if it's to a truck stop.

Ya it's tough to not eat s**t when your on the road. But the biggest is exercise. I left the yard at 5 this morning won't be home till after 6 there no way I'm going out for a walk at that time.

• Advertisement

No went in by cgi and back out.
    I suppose delivery is delivery even if it's to a truck stop.

Ya it's tough to not eat s**t when your on the road. But the biggest is exercise. I left the yard at 5 this morning won't be home till after 6 there no way I'm going out for a walk at that time.

Started at 5 finished at 6?

Multi drop?

You would be wrecked after a shift that long, even walking the dog is too much effort.

is that your daily shift?

5 or 6 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cmod note: we are working on a plan at the moment and hope to let you know the solution soon once we flesh out some details.

tricky D wrote: »
    Cmod note: we are working on a plan at the moment and hope to let you know the solution soon once we flesh out some details.
    Thank you :)

Volvo putting electric trucks on the road this year.

I’d be very interested in the range of them.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/24/volvo-electric-trucks/amp/

Started at 5 finished at 6?

Multi drop?

You would be wrecked after a shift that long, even walking the dog is too much effort.

is that your daily shift?

5 or 6 days?

No wouldn't entertain the idea of multi drop. 20 foot container to nenagh this morning band ball then back to cork for a box for Kilkenny another hand ball.

All depending most days would be 11 12 hours the odd 15 and 8 or 9.
    Mainly 5 days the Saturday work would be only 1 load 6 hours the most.

No wouldn't entertain the idea of multi drop. 20 foot container to nenagh this morning band ball then back to cork for a box for Kilkenny another hand ball.

All depending most days would be 11 12 hours the odd 15 and 8 or 9.
    Mainly 5 days the Saturday work would be only 1 load 6 hours the most.

You with Drom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Multi drop on a set route isnt too bad. You get to know the customers and build a relationship with them , free coffee and sambos. Over 15 years doing cuisine with up to 50 drops (dub city) but a few years doing night work helped me get sense lol

osheen wrote: »
    Multi drop on a set route isnt too bad. You get to know the customers and build a relationship with them , free coffee and sambos. Over 15 years doing cuisine with up to 50 drops (dub city) but a few years doing night work helped me get sense lol

50 drops? In a sprinter or something?

When I was doing it, everyday was different, I never knew where I’d be or what I’d have so couldn’t make plans as I never knew my finishing time,

When I was with Greenstar though it was very different, set shifts/areas and it rotated every 3 weeks so I knew exactly what I had each time, it was great.

• Advertisement

You with Drom?

I am indeed.

Advertisement