Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religious paraphernalia be removed from polling stations on the day of voting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not necessarily, the Children's Referendum had the second lowest turnout of the electorate in our history with only 33% of the electorate turning out to vote. I would suggest that people only turn out to vote in referenda when they feel the outcome will directly affect them.

73% voted in the 2011 election. That's 27% that didn't vote or decided not to vote. Either way they allowed the majority to decide proportionally for them, therefore voting, weather they liked the outcome or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I think that all religious paraphernalia and iconography should be removed from all public buildings. Worship whatever God's you feel like but on your own time and in your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

G_R wrote: »
    I think you can be fairly confident it will be "Do you agree with repealing the 8th amendment to the Irish constitution"

We've seen the trouble having specifics in the constitution causes. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to start listing valid reasons for an abortion in the constitution.

That would be my preference, but the citizens' assembly (which I strongly disagree with and think is incredibly undemocratic) voted against having a repeal referendum and strongly in favour having an amendment referendum.

This is totally off topic though, my point was some people decode 6 months before a question has been set and others decide while reading the two options on the ballot paper.

I myself have changed my mind in the polling booth to swap the order of my second and 3rd preference in a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Another anti religion thread in after hours? Surely that can't be lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Not necessarily, the Children's Referendum had the second lowest turnout of the electorate in our history with only 33% of the electorate turning out to vote. I would suggest that people only turn out to vote in referenda when they feel the outcome will directly affect them.

That whole referendum campaign was a mess. Including the biased publications by the department of children. The fact that the supreme court ruled that the government had used public funding to produce biased information in favour of voting yes, just a couple of days before the referendum, understandably put a lot of voters off and caused a lot of doubt.

Added to the fact that all the neutral information from ref com was ridiculously vague, people just didn't know what way to vote, not that they didn't care, or that it didn't affect them so they didn't vote. I myself sent numerous emails at the time to try and understand what it was all about and most of the responses amounted to "its to protect children"- nothing about the specifics of how that would happen in real terms. My mind is foggy on the legislative details but the aspects I do remember from the referendum, i can understand exactly why people didn't vote.

Another anti religion thread in after hours? Surely that can't be lol.

I don't see it as anti religion. I did say that it was about any undue influences inside the polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This one time I was going to vote and on my way in I saw a Padre Pio sticker in a car window and accidently voted Sinn Fein.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I don't see it as anti religion. I did say that it was about any undue influences inside the polling station.

Don't tell me.. You're an atheist right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Maybe they should get the nearby clothes shops to remove any coat hangers that can be seen from the street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It would be about anybody of any religion/or not that would be influenced in any way inside a polling station

Your lack of confidence in ordinary Irish people, or rather your sense of personal superiority, is disheartening to say the very least.

Oh God don’t get any of them started. He/she’s already suggested in another post that “others” mightn’t be as “strong minded” as he/she.
    Cos , you know, only atheists are “strong minded”!

This one time I was going to vote and on my way in I saw a Padre Pio sticker in a car window and accidently voted Sinn Fein.

We’re his eyes staring at you suicide? Did you see Vote SF in his stigmata?
    That can be pretty persuasive all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Vote Sinn Fein or Padre Pio will make you bleed?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

?.
    It's meaningless in my view, the State does as it pleases. Remember the Lisbon treaty vote when the public voted the "wrong" way as such?.
    Gimme a break.

Do YOU remember it? Because I'm willing to bet you're not remembering it right,or rather remembering the usual narrative of what's in your post.

It was voted on, rejected, concessions and alterations made, and voted on again with the differences.

Edit, beaten to it.

Everything. If you keep making people vote on an issue until you get the desired outcome it literally makes voting meaningless. You respect the decision of the people or you make a mockery of it "go again lads there we didnt get the outcome we wanted".
    Be Like a North Korea election.

A Kim Jong-Un. B Kim Jong-Un.

Presumably you want divorce outlawed? Cos that lost first time round too.
    Anything relating to gay rights or racial issues? Tough **** if you don't get it through first time lads, 2nd class citizens for eternity for you guys.

Why did you ignore the part about changes being made before it was voted on again btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a very good idea.

In our area, the school hall has about 5 or 6 steps at the entrance, while the GAA club has level access, and a lift to the main function room - so it would be much better for wheelchair users or anyone a bit unsteady on their feet too.
    G_R wrote: »
    I think you can be fairly confident it will be "Do you agree with repealing the 8th amendment to the Irish constitution"

We've seen the trouble having specifics in the constitution causes. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to start listing valid reasons for an abortion in the constitution.

You're probably right on the main referendum question, but the context is not yet clear. Will there be a political commitment to bring in legislation to allow abortion? What conditions will apply about gestation periods or other requirements?
    I think we can agree that what is outside the polling station isn't the issue here.
    I'm not so sure. As I walked into the polling station in our school for the SSM referendum, I passed the church entrance as the Corpus Christi parade was entering, complete with chanting and waving around of gold crosses and other paraphernalia. There are definitely people who would be susceptible to this influence.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Your lack of confidence in ordinary Irish people, or rather your sense of personal superiority, is disheartening to say the very least.

So just to be clear, you don't think this proposal is necessary - but do you have any fundamental objection to a plan to remove all religious paraphernalia (bibles, statues, etc) from polling stations on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

neonsofa wrote: »
    That whole referendum campaign was a mess. Including the biased publications by the department of children. The fact that the supreme court ruled that the government had used public funding to produce biased information in favour of voting yes, just a couple of days before the referendum, understandably put a lot of voters off and caused a lot of doubt.

Added to the fact that all the neutral information from ref com was ridiculously vague, people just didn't know what way to vote, not that they didn't care, or that it didn't affect them so they didn't vote. I myself sent numerous emails at the time to try and understand what it was all about and most of the responses amounted to "its to protect children"- nothing about the specifics of how that would happen in real terms. My mind is foggy on the legislative details but the aspects I do remember from the referendum, i can understand exactly why people didn't vote.

That only explains why you didn't vote. The specifics and legislative details were widely available to anyone who was actually interested in them, and of course as has been noted elsewhere already, of course the Government would be interested in seeing a referendum pass, same as they had an interest in seeing the marriage equality referendum pass, same as they'll be interested in seeing this referendum pass, or it will go down in history as a failure against their leadership.

That only explains why you didn't vote. The specifics and legislative details were widely available to anyone who was actually interested in them, and of course as has been noted elsewhere already, of course the Government would be interested in seeing a referendum pass, same as they had an interest in seeing the marriage equality referendum pass, same as they'll be interested in seeing this referendum pass, or it will go down in history as a failure against their leadership.

I did vote.

Completely missing the point of the Supreme Court ruling there but ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Huh, I never knew stigmata could occur in kneecaps.

No. I am simply not superstitious.

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    I did vote.

Completely missing the point of the Supreme Court ruling there but ok.

I didn't miss it, I just remember that the High Court ruled that the Governments conduct did not have a material effect on the outcome of the referendum is all, and an appeal to overturn the result of the referendum was rejected by the same Supreme Court -

The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal against the 2012 Children's Referendum result.

The court this morning gave its decision on a challenge by a woman to a High Court ruling rejecting her petition to overturn the result.

She also appealed the High Court's decision to reject her challenge to the laws governing the bringing of such petitions.

Joanna Jordan, from Dún Laoghaire in Dublin, brought a petition to the High Court aimed at overturning the Yes vote in the Children's Referendum held in November 2012.

She had argued that the Government's use of public money to fund an unbalanced information campaign had materially affected the outcome of the referendum.

Shortly before the referendum took place, the Supreme Court held that the Government's spending of more than €1m of public money on a one-sided information campaign was a clear disregard of the limits imposed by the Constitution on what the State may do in a referendum.

However, the High Court rejected her case, saying the Government's conduct did not have a material effect on the outcome of the referendum.

Source: Supreme Court rejects appeal on 2012 Children's Referendum

Oh God don’t get any of them started. He/she’s already suggested in another post that “others” mightn’t be as “strong minded” as he/she.
    Cos , you know, only atheists are “strong minded”!

No, you kniw that was not what I meant. There are strong-minded people in all forms if life. The poster I was replying to had a strong-minded position.

I was making an inclusive statement, not an exclusive statement. So you can rest easy.

I didn't miss it, I just remember that the High Court ruled that the Governments conduct did not have a material effect on the outcome of the referendum is all, and an appeal to overturn the result of the referendum was rejected by the same Supreme Court -

The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal against the 2012 Children's Referendum result.

The court this morning gave its decision on a challenge by a woman to a High Court ruling rejecting her petition to overturn the result.

She also appealed the High Court's decision to reject her challenge to the laws governing the bringing of such petitions.

Joanna Jordan, from Dún Laoghaire in Dublin, brought a petition to the High Court aimed at overturning the Yes vote in the Children's Referendum held in November 2012.

She had argued that the Government's use of public money to fund an unbalanced information campaign had materially affected the outcome of the referendum.

Shortly before the referendum took place, the Supreme Court held that the Government's spending of more than €1m of public money on a one-sided information campaign was a clear disregard of the limits imposed by the Constitution on what the State may do in a referendum.

However, the High Court rejected her case, saying the Government's conduct did not have a material effect on the outcome of the referendum.

Source: Supreme Court rejects appeal on 2012 Children's Referendum

I'm aware of that but my point was you were missing the point the that a government can't just breach McKenna Principles to get the result they want. I was referring to your post about "of course they wanted the referendum to pass".

I'm not so sure. As I walked into the polling station in our school for the SSM referendum, I passed the church entrance as the Corpus Christi parade was entering, complete with chanting and waving around of gold crosses and other paraphernalia. There are definitely people who would be susceptible to this influence.

They may well be, and yes some people may be influenced by this. But they are entitled to do so on voting day, or any other day, so long as it is not outside the polling station. Election posters are not allowed within 100m of a polling station afaik, I think the same goes for referenda.

This bit I think:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/section/147/enacted/en/Html

superstitious? Hmm. What a strange word to use in response. Almost like you are taking a jab at religious people.

superstitious? Hmm. What a strange word to use in response. Almost like you are taking a jab at religious people.

No I am simply just that, not superstitious and never have been. I did not like the name atheist nor non-believer.

In our area, the school hall has about 5 or 6 steps at the entrance, while the GAA club has level access, and a lift to the main function room - so it would be much better for wheelchair users or anyone a bit unsteady on their feet too.

You're probably right on the main referendum question, but the context is not yet clear. Will there be a political commitment to bring in legislation to allow abortion? What conditions will apply about gestation periods or other requirements?

So just to be clear, you don't think this proposal is necessary - but do you have any fundamental objection to a plan to remove all religious paraphernalia (bibles, statues, etc) from polling stations on the day?

Would you not lobby your TD to ensure that referenda are not held around important religious dates? Because I know for sure your not suggesting that religious bodies should be forced to move these dates around to accommodate referenda , which let’s face it, can really be held anytime?
    Also, the GAA is a private clubhouse, paid for privately, how would they be compelled to accommodate a public vote in anything , also, what makes you think that there is no religious iconography in GAA clubhouses?

Oldtree you claim you're not superstitious, and that's fair enough.

Then what's all this then about your objection to there being bibles present at polling stations on the basis that it might influence the results of a referendum one way or the other?

I'd suggest that was indicative of someone who was highly superstitious - the presence of a bible being a bad omen or some such :p

• Advertisement

Would you not lobby your TD to ensure that referenda are not held around important religious dates? Because I know for sure your not suggesting that religious bodies should be forced to move these dates around to accommodate referenda , which let’s face it, can really be held anytime?
    Also, the GAA is a private clubhouse, paid for privately, how would they be compelled to accommodate a public vote in anything , also, what makes you think that there is no religious iconography in GAA clubhouses?

That is a good point about religious holidays. Maby more people would vote if referenda were not on those days.

The gaa is an inclusive organisation and afaik there should be no religious iconography in the local club.

Advertisement