Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religious paraphernalia be removed from polling stations on the day of voting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And that closing schools for the day mularkey needs to stop too, just have voting on a Saturday. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume the Bible is present, for people to swear (christians) as to who they are, if the need arises? What happens for other faiths and those of none?
    do Muslims swear on the Koran?

The purpose of why it's there, is key, not its presence. Yes, a common swearing non religious oath, would remove the requirement.
    BTW, see a lot of people, over the years, swearing on the Bible at Tribunals etc. Didn't seem to affect, many of them. Those who wished to, lied, without batting an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oldtree wrote: »

It would also be prudent imo to change the locations of polling stations to the local Hall, rather than the school,

And how many places in Ireland actually have such a hall, thats not attached to a church or a school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

No. Right bunch of sensitive whingebags these atheists. Is that ALL they have worry about taking offense to a bible?.
    Well for some.

What is sacred about voting anyway?.
    It's meaningless in my view, the State does as it pleases. Remember the Lisbon treaty vote when the public voted the "wrong" way as such?.
    Gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

No.

Turn Up.

Vote.

Go Home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's meaningless in my view, the State does as it pleases. Remember the Lisbon treaty vote when the public voted the "wrong" way as such?.
    Gimme a break.

You mean the Lisbon treaty which we voted 'No' to initially due to specific concerns on a few sections, which was then amended in consideration of those concerns and a vote put to us for the updated one that had fixed the issues? What was wrong with that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

And how many places in Ireland actually have such a hall, thats not attached to a church or a school?

We have one here not attached. But I get your point. Community center or other room then, wouldn't be too difficult to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you are the type of person to have your mind changed on polling day because you see a Bible or whatnot you probably shouldn't be allowed vote in the first place.

Anyway I don't think it's going to matter if like me you have to walk past a church or two to get to your polling station

Water John wrote: »
    I presume the Bible is present, for people to swear (christians) as to who they are, if the need arises? What happens for other faiths and those of none?
    do Muslims swear on the Koran?

The purpose of why it's there, is key, not its presence. Yes, a common swearing non religious oath, would remove the requirement.
    BTW, see a lot of people, over the years, swearing on the Bible at Tribunals etc. Didn't seem to affect, many of them. Those who wished to, lied, without batting an eyelid.

Good point. Have an Id requirement only, qed.

No. Right bunch of sensitive whingebags these atheists. Is that ALL they have worry about taking offense to a bible?.
    Well for some.

Gimme a break.

I don't think is scared about voting, more taking away a point of influence. Much like the politicians no longer being able to have their buddies standing outside the polling stations on polling day.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you are the type of person to have your mind changed on polling day because you see a Bible or whatnot you probably shouldn't be allowed vote in the first place.

Anyway I don't think it's going to matter if like me you have to walk past a church or two to get to your polling station

The study referred to indicates that just having the vote in a school could change some people's minds on a particular vote. For those people I think it is important that they are not put under any undue influence or pressure, especially with the contentious content of the upcoming referendum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You mean the Lisbon treaty which we voted 'No' to initially due to specific concerns on a few sections, which was then amended in consideration of those concerns and a vote put to us for the updated one that had fixed the issues? What was wrong with that exactly?

Everything. If you keep making people vote on an issue until you get the desired outcome it literally makes voting meaningless. You respect the decision of the people or you make a mockery of it "go again lads there we didnt get the outcome we wanted".
    Be Like a North Korea election.

A Kim Jong-Un. B Kim Jong-Un.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’d like a show of hands here of boardsies who could be persuaded to vote against repealing the 8th amendment because:
    1. They had to vote in a school (pictures on walls drawn by small children , oohhh upsetting)
    2. They glimpsed a crucifix or a statue of Our Lady as they lifted their pencil (ohhh God might smite me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Just balance things out by having some evil books there as well as the Bible.

0380015390.jpg?width=360&quality=85&lang=en

1200x630bb.jpg

the_intimate_life_of_simon_cowell_sweet_revenge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just move polling to a community building that was built by atheists.

Problem solved.

Oh wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Everything. If you keep making people vote on an issue until you get the desired outcome it literally makes voting meaningless. You respect the decision of the people or you make a mockery of it "go again lads there we didnt get the outcome we wanted".

Can you actually give an example where that has actually happened? Because the Lisbon Treaty is not. The 2nd vote was voting for something different to the 1st vote.

In fact, the Lisbon Treaty is an excellent example where government listen to the electorate. The people voted against it because of specific components of the treaty, the powers that be listened, gave the people what they wanted by changing the treaty and allowed them to vote again on the new treaty.

It is literally an example of the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’d like a show of hands here of boardsies who could be persuaded to vote against repealing the 8th amendment because:
    1. They had to vote in a school (pictures on walls drawn by small children , oohhh upsetting)
    2. They glimpsed a crucifix or a statue of Our Lady as they lifted their pencil (ohhh God might smite me).

That's a good idea. I didn't know how to set up a poll using the phone, but I'm more inclined towards a blank voting space than a choice of pictures. The deference on some parts of our society is still there, so a glimpse might be all it takes and that is unfair imo.

Maby a mod could set up a poll please.
    Maby the choices could be

Yes a blank voting station outside schools
    Yes a blank voting station inside schools
    No change but it bothers me
    No change as it dosn't bother me

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Just move polling to a community building that was built by atheists.

Problem solved.

Oh wait.....

Maby a community building built by the community might be a better option.

Oldtree wrote: »
    That's a good idea. I didn't know how to set up a poll using the phone, but I'm more inclined towards a blank voting space than a choice of pictures. The deference on some parts of our society is still there, so a glimpse might be all it takes and that is unfair imo.

Maby a mod could set up a poll please.
    Maby the choices could be

Yes a blank voting station outside schools
    Yes a blank voting station inside schools
    No change but it bothers me
    No change as it dosn't bother me

Unfair on whom though oldtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think you understand.

The Lisbon Treaty was rejected, then amended (one of the only good things the Cowan government did well in) and it was submitted for ratification again with the amendments.

The treay was different the second time round.

An awful lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

eviltwin wrote: »

It's not that people are stupid, it's that human cognition is imperfect and subject to subconscious biases.

People think differently when in different environments. If you were any way on the fence about abortion, you could be nudged into voting against it by having to do so inside a church or in a building with a lot of religious iconography. If the referendum is close, 1 or 2% of voters who were influenced to vote no instead of yes because they subconsciously felt the eyes of the church watching them vote could be enough to affect the outcome.

Would christians support having polling centers inside a rape crisis center?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have no interest in religion and actively dislike the doctrine around it, but I don't care at all what items there are in a polling station.

I'd vote in a church if needs be. It has no effect on my vote or likelihood to vote. Don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

The government never made anyone vote a second time.

All 1.8 million did so 100% voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's not the bible I'm worried about. It's Mrs O' Flaherty, church caretaker and head polling clerk in my local parish since 1977. She gave me some filthy looks when I came in to vote on the same sex marriage. She'll really be gunning for the abortion vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If somebody goes to vote and is deflected from their intended opinion by the simple presence of a bible or a cross somewhere in the room, then they are easily influenced and obviously hadn't a notion what way they actually felt on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Agricola wrote: »
    It's not the bible I'm worried about. It's Mrs O' Flaherty, church caretaker and head polling clerk in my local parish since 1977. She gave me some filthy looks when I came in to vote on the same sex marriage. She'll really be gunning for the abortion vote.

And she'll know how anybody actually votes????

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's not that people are stupid, it's that human cognition is imperfect and subject to subconscious biases.

People think differently when in different environments. If you were any way on the fence about abortion, you could be nudged into voting against it by having to do so inside a church or in a building with a lot of religious iconography. If the referendum is close, 1 or 2% of voters who were influenced to vote no instead of yes because they subconsciously felt the eyes of the church watching them vote could be enough to affect the outcome.

Would christians support having poling centers inside a rape crisis center?

But are voters not being subconsciously influenced to vote one way or the other for weeks before hand by the campaigners for each side?
    Are you seriously suggesting that churches and mosques and synagogues be asked to cover up the fronts of their buildings on polling day in case their adherents are swayed?
    Or is it just Christians your bothered about?

they are easily influenced and obviously hadn't a notion what way they actually felt on the issue.

I'd imagine that represents a large proportion of the voting public on any given polling day.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Unfair on whom though oldtree.

It would be unfair on a person who would be unduly influenced. The study suggested that there are some people who are influenced at the last minute at the voting station.

• Advertisement

And she'll know how anybody actually votes????
    Aul wan's have a sixth sense about quare hawks. They just know who's doing the devil's bidding at the polling booth.

Advertisement