Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Candie wrote: »
    I don't really care what their motivation is. They get suspicion if they do something, condemnation if they do nothing, so on balance I'd rather they did something.

Even if it's a calculated, cynical move motivated by poor public perception in the wake of Polanski or Weinstein or whoever, if it improves conditions for the relatively powerless women who have no power or clout or recognizable names, then I'm all for it.

Sure it'd be lovely to think everyone acted out of selfless altruism, but I don't care that much if it garners results that make it a safer industry for women behind the scenes.

Don't know how much has really changed when you see the reception Kirk Douglas got at the Golden Globes! Just read up about him and Natalie Wood - among others. :mad:

Thats not a good idea...not while she's under investigation for drugs. And her mental state rn is worrying.

Bearing in mind what happened at the Golden Globes when the black attired #metoo ladies gave a standing ovation to a well known misogynist and alleged rapist, perhaps Rose was more on the ball than a lot of those so-called 'champions of the cause'!

My God! The ****ing nerve of that bitch!! Did she stand and applaud that old predator, Kirk Douglas, the other night? Bet she did! :mad:

anna080 wrote: »
    Gosh. Have you ever read such highfalutin shlte in all your life. Why is the silence of Malania more significant than hers?

Interviewer: Do you want to go into specifics?

STREEP No, no, I don’t. I mean, I was really beaten up, but I don’t want to ruin somebody’s mature life. I just don’t. I do think if the world is going to go on, we have to find out a way to work together....

.... but just don't come looking to me for answers to the questions, right Meryl?
    Trump obsessed deflective weirdo.

She truly is Trump obsessed. Cannot abide her since she led the standing ovation for Roman Polanski. Her moral compass is really warped.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Despite all the allegations about Kirk Douglas that have been around for years, he still received a standing ovation at the golden globes. On the night where they are supposedly taking a stand against abuse. Says it all really. I suppose if/when it all comes out noone will have known or heard anything. Hollywood will never change.

That was appalling! Such a bunch of hypocrites!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Ricky Gervais would have been an excellent host of the Globes this year.

brooke 2 wrote:
    Don't know how much has really changed when you see the reception Kirk Douglas got at the Golden Globes! Just read up about him and Natalie Wood - among others.

That story is bull, it's based on posts left on a Radom blog by someone claiming to be Robert Downey Jr. It's farcical that so many people take it as fact.

Woody Allen could go up their to collect an award/ lifetime achievement etc, and he'd get the same reaction.

Brie Larsson stood by and didn't clap when Casey Affleck won-that's all folks have to do. They won't.

That said, Rolling Stone noticed. 'Very outdated' was the verdict.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/times-up-golden-globes-2018-tackles-sexual-assault-with-mixed-results-w515097

The Kirk Douglas/ Natalie Wood rape. (Be warned, this is very detailed, and very disturbing-so if you are a survivor of rape, this may trigger ptsd). It appears even Natalie's daughter knew. Again, if rumours are true. (I don't believe Walken killed Natalie, nor do I believe Robert Wagner did. I think they were toxic to one another, for sure, but not enough to kill her).

http://gawker.com/5893793/did-robert-downey-jr-really-just-accuse-kirk-douglas-of-a-brutal-rape

Natalie Portman's 'here are the all male nominees' for best director was also, I feel, another deferral. (She paid no attention to how they were all white etc). And most of the winners on the night were, you guessed it, white. (Oscars so white didn't get a tweet, eh?).

That said, it was educational, I didn't know about James Franco (Ally Sheedy made comments about him on twitter), nor Christian Slater.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/ally-sheedy-james-franco-christian-slater-tweet-me-too
    Now while Franco was honest about instagramming with a 17 year old girl (he claims he didn't know she was 17, he was 35 at the time) and admitted it, he may very well prefer chasing the young girls. That's seriously creepy.
    Gary Oldman won too-amid allegations he was a violent jerk years ago, something he denies, but hasn't truly addressed.

I don't know about Slater-like, I know he beat up a girlfriend or two when he was a raging junkie. I won't excuse that, but to me, a true scumbag is a sober one. (Bar the Wood story).

Dan Harmon (Creator of Community/ Rick and Morty) has had to apologise to a former female writer on Community for his being a jerk. Can't imagine the 'Globes' coverage will truly stop the scumbags residing among them.

Had not heard about the Kirk Douglas/Natalie Wood alleged rape until after KD appeared on stage and there was uproar on Twitter about it. My first reaction on seeing him being wheeled onstage was 'How weird!' I was aware that he had had a chequered reputation in Holywood and thought it strange that someone with his dodgy history would have been honoured by a group of people who were claiming to be making a stand against the type of person he was. The irony of the situation seems to have passed them by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

silverharp wrote: »
    Naltalie Portman came across as a bit of a miserable wagon with her snide comments about male nominees. Im sure she could become a director herself if its so easy

If she actually cared about the lack of female directors she would make more of an effort to work with up and coming female talent, but instead her filmography consists almost entirely of films directed by men

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    The golden globes was sickening virtue signalling and hypocrisy on a level barely witnessed before. Meryl Streep has to be one of the most dislikeable people on the entire planet the absolute state of her with her double standards preaching to the rest of us. Fcuk off you weapon.

+100

• Advertisement

The one black actor who won, nay, the one black person who won, made one of the most profound speeches. That his role was written as a character no one else could play but a black actor. It wasn't a 'race' change, a role written with a white actor in mind.

Oprah's speech disappointed me. She called out the 'abusers of women' but neglected to speak about the paedos who abused young boys.
    And also, what was intriguing, was a noticeable lack of common sense. A number of black actresses, black directors, black women directors who could introduce Oprah up on stage...and they pick the 'plucky blonde Texan white lady'...it was laughable. (The one time to make a note on diversity-where was Portman when that happened?).

Rather disheartening and dispiriting was that Asia Argento, among other Weinstein accusers, was not invited to the Globes...not a single one, not even Mira Sorvino.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/golden-globes-2018-rose-mcgowan-criticizes-hollywood-fakery-w515142
    So it was the usual crap of denouncing men, pretending to support women, then turning on the 3 ladies who didn't wear black. All while sweeping their crimes under the carpet.

And how can one forget the standing ovation given by #metoo to the alleged rapist and predator, Kirk Douglas? Irony, thy name is Hollywood hypocrites! :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Wait, was the only accusations against Kirk Douglas made in the comments section of a celebrity gossip blog by an anonymous poster claiming to be Robert Downey Junior? Is that all we need to get the pitchforks at the ready these days?

Stan Lee being accused now, supposedly he pestered young nurses for oral sex, groped them and walked around naked when they were there. The nursing agency said they got a string of complaints from young nurses that were sent to him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5250513/Marvel-creator-Stan-Lee-95-accused-groping-nurses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wait, was the only accusations against Kirk Douglas made in the comments section of a celebrity gossip blog by an anonymous poster claiming to be Robert Downey Junior? Is that all we need to get the pitchforks at the ready these days?

That rumour has been around for years, before the poster on CDAN blew it all up (who never actually claimed to be RDJ anyway)

Natalie Woods sister has strongly implied it is him but that she will only name him publicly after his death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That rumour has been around for years, before the poster on CDAN blew it all up (who never actually claimed to be RDJ anyway)

Natalie Woods sister has strongly implied it is him but that she will only name him publicly after his death

Why wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Ricky Gervais would have been an excellent host of the Globes this year.

Not least because he always wears black! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why wait?

Actually apparently it's when she dies, not him. I don't know, I think she's spent a lot of time trying to get answers about her sisters death. Perhaps naming her rapist and the legal consequences of that is another battle she doesn't want to deal with

Streep is certainly hypocritical, I'm sure lots of others are too. I don't understand how the conversation has now centred around people on the periphery of the scandal as though they're as responsible as the rapists, assaulters and abusers. First the attention turned to the behaviour of the victims, now it's about the bystanders. There's precious little happening with the accused.

On another note, I recorded a made-for-tv movie that has Corey Feldman as executive producer, apparently got out there very quickly. It's called "A Tale of Two Coreys". Ten or fifteen minutes in, I'm not sure I'll be watching it all the way through. :(
    Fairly simple IMO. A big part of the discussion at the beginning was the "culture" that allowed such things to happen. Til those celebs realised that implicated them as part of that "culture". Some people are perfectly happy to discuss cultures and structures unless it means admitting they're any part of it.

If someone is going to soapbox and it's incredibly obvious how hypocritical they're being then they should be called out.

And also, I would have thought quite obviously, most people have said all they can possibly wring out about Weinstein and Spacey. They haven't done anything to comment on in the last few weeks. And the fact that it doesn't really spark discussion beyond "Scumbags. Yeah. Horrible.".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/tessa-thompson-walks-back-criticism-of-lena-dunham.html

Lena Dunham's in the 'TimesUp' movement? But she's a molester, and rape defender. And its noticeable that the
    'Non white' ladies are being treated like crud.

The Times Up movement is already falling apart. Im even reminded of how the 'Gun Control' movement, despite the shooting of Gabby Giffords 7 years ago, fell to pieces within months.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

Streep is certainly hypocritical, I'm sure lots of others are too. I don't understand how the conversation has now centred around people on the periphery of the scandal as though they're as responsible as the rapists, assaulters and abusers. First the attention turned to the behaviour of the victims, now it's about the bystanders. There's precious little happening with the accused.

On another note, I recorded a made-for-tv movie that has Corey Feldman as executive producer, apparently got out there very quickly. It's called "A Tale of Two Coreys". Ten or fifteen minutes in, I'm not sure I'll be watching it all the way through. :(
    Fairly simple IMO. A big part of the discussion at the beginning was the "culture" that allowed such things to happen. Til those celebs realised that implicated them as part of that "culture". Some people are perfectly happy to discuss cultures and structures unless it means admitting they're any part of it.

If someone is going to soapbox and it's incredibly obvious how hypocritical they're being then they should be called out.

And also, I would have thought quite obviously, most people have said all they can possibly wring out about Weinstein and Spacey. They haven't done anything to comment on in the last few weeks. And the fact that it doesn't really spark discussion beyond "Scumbags. Yeah. Horrible.".
    So where's all the criticism for the men who soapbox (like Matt Damon)?  Oh that's right, criticism is reserved for the women.

• Advertisement

NI24 wrote: »
    So where's all the criticism for the men who soapbox (like Matt Damon)?  Oh that's right, criticism is reserved for the women.
    Seriously? Read back over the thread, I was one of a number criticising him. And he got attacked from all "sides". Jesus, talk about only seeing what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Seriously? Read back over the thread, I was one of a number criticising him. And he got attacked from all "sides". Jesus, talk about only seeing what you want to see.

Plenty of criticism of Hollywood, not just Matt Damon, as well as criticism of the 'metoo movement'. In fact, twitter turned on Susan Sarandon, star of the feminist film Thelma and Louise for her continual denouncing of Hillary Clinton-and that she shouldn't have been presenting at the Golden Globes (Which is farcical, to say the least.). This is what folks like to call 'empirical feminism'. It's why the 'metoo movement' is doomed to fail.

Now they are roaring their heads off that Michelle Williams didn't get paid as much as Mark Wahlberg for the 'All the money in the world' reshoots. Thing is, she agreed to do the shoots for nothing (She got 80 bucks a day), Wahlberg lied and then said he worked for free-apparently 'free' is $2 million dollars.
    She should sack her agent, not denounce Ridley Scott (Scott wasn't involved in negotiations).

The folks who denounce Trump as 'unqualified' are now calling for Oprah for president...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    (Oprah's friend says she has no interest in running).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/oprah-winfrey-president-idea-uncomfortable-truth

Despite her supporting the War in Iraq, nay, leading the charge-including dedicating episodes of her show to discussing it.

https://twitter.com/shailjapatel/status/950315667978416128

The thing is, Hollywood folks, including Oprah and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, make their careers on people liking them. Politics means half the people will love you, half the people will hate you.
    Does anyone think Oprah will even 'think' about losing the 'like'? And I for one don't like her, but if her 'Hollywood' friends turn on her, she's not going to be able to rebuild that relationship.

There have been dozens of post lambasting Meryl and Rose for what they did or didn't do and a handful denouncing the men.  I see reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There have been dozens of post lambasting Meryl and Rose for what they did or didn't do and a handful denouncing the men.  I see reality.
    No, the previous poster was spot on, you're seeing precisely what you want to see. Men have been denounced throughout this thread, but because it's not a blanket "women are always agentless victims and men bad M'kay? thread the feminist hackles go up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Plenty of criticism of Hollywood, not just Matt Damon, as well as criticism of the 'metoo movement'.  In fact, twitter turned on Susan Sarandon, star of the feminist film Thelma and Louise for her continual denouncing of Hillary Clinton-and that she shouldn't have been presenting at the Golden Globes (Which is farcical, to say the least.).  This is what folks like to call 'empirical feminism'.  It's why the 'metoo movement' is doomed to fail.

Now they are roaring their heads off that Michelle Williams didn't get paid as much as Mark Wahlberg for the 'All the money in the world' reshoots.  Thing is, she agreed to do the shoots for nothing (She got 80 bucks a day), Wahlberg lied and then said he worked for free-apparently 'free' is $2 million dollars.
    She should sack her agent, not denounce Ridley Scott (Scott wasn't involved in negotiations).

The folks who denounce Trump as 'unqualified' are now calling for Oprah for president...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    (Oprah's friend says she has no interest in running).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/oprah-winfrey-president-idea-uncomfortable-truth

Despite her supporting the War in Iraq, nay, leading the charge-including dedicating episodes of her show to discussing it.

https://twitter.com/shailjapatel/status/950315667978416128

The thing is, Hollywood folks, including Oprah and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, make their careers on people liking them.  Politics means half the people will love you, half the people will hate you.  
    Does anyone think Oprah will even 'think' about losing the 'like'?  And I for one don't like her, but if her 'Hollywood' friends turn on her, she's not going to be able to rebuild that relationship.

Susan Sarandon said what Woody Allen did to his family and then a month later she appeared on the red carpet for his latest movie. Her existence is farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’ve avoided most of the Golden Globes coverage because... vom. Is it true that there was no mention of male victims? :(

I only watched Oprah’s speech on mute. She’s a consummate populist. I just... can’t. But the standing ovation at the end. Barf. Especially hurts to see actors I love like Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell getting involved in the back-slapping. Nooooo! :(

I meant to say what Woody Allen did was wrong.  I can't get this site to work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Susan Sarandon said what Woody Allen did to his family and then a month later she appeared on the red carpet for his latest movie. Her existence is farcical.
    I'd agree. I'd go further and say the majority of those in front of the camera in Hollywood are cynical hypocrites or fools and often enough both.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/tessa-thompson-walks-back-criticism-of-lena-dunham.html

Lena Dunham's in the 'TimesUp' movement? But she's a molester, and rape defender. And its noticeable that the
    'Non white' ladies are being treated like crud.

The Times Up movement is already falling apart. Im even reminded of how the 'Gun Control' movement, despite the shooting of Gabby Giffords 7 years ago, fell to pieces within months.
    The statement Dunham made when the writer on Girls was accused was clumsy, but the idea behind it was probably the most well meaning and decent thing she's shown since I've become aware of her. There isn't anything wrong with supporting a friend who has been accused of a horrific crime and I'd like to think that any of us would do the same for a friend instead of throwing them underneath the bus. The problem is that Lena should have kept it to herself instead of issuing such a bizarre statement.

The problem with the movement is the same with any movement without one coherent voice; the bigger it gets, the more it splinters into sub groups who comandeer the message and define it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’ve avoided most of the Golden Globes coverage because... vom. Is it true that there was no mention of male victims? :(

I only watched Oprah’s speech on mute. She’s a consummate populist. I just... can’t. But the standing ovation at the end. Barf. Especially hurts to see actors I love like Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell getting involved in the back-slapping. Nooooo! :(

Hollywood is a sleaze industry and vomit inducing in general and it's very hard to respect any of these people. They are all hypocrites whose words mean zilch.

Advertisement