Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm thinking more along the lines of other movements which originated on/gained traction through Twitter, such as #Occupy or #Black(/insert minority group here)LivesMatter. The extremes of those movements (communists/anarchists for the former, Mugabe Did Nothing Wrong/Fuck White People-types for the latter) got amplified by their opponents and the moderates melted away.

Same thing happened with Occupy that happened with the Arab Spring there is a collective sense of something must change but there is conflicting opinion and disorganisation which leads to panic and a search for anyone that can fill that gap, in which case the Arab Spring movement turned to the military, the occupy movement splintered and the different groups went in different directions.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Could people have been clueless about the Douglas allegations when giving him a standing ovation? - I'll admit to not knowing anything about it until I heard people giving out about it on Twitter. And, like I said already, all I've seen is an accusation by anonymous poster on a gossip website. Has there been anything concrete said about him or any actual accusations made against Douglas?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. It appears to be an open secret in Hollywood pretty much since it happened.

I think that NW's rape, beating and hospitalisation are all on record, and it's known that she went to a hotel to meet a very famous man at the height of his fame about a film role at dates that closely correspond to the attack. I'm not sure, but I think it was on record somewhere at some point it was KD she was supposed to meet, but possibly over the years any naming has been redacted. She was 16, and it was 1954. He would have been 38 and was by then a huge star with plenty of award nominations under his belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I don't think so. It appears to be an open secret in Hollywood pretty much since it happened.

I think that NW's rape, beating and hospitalisation are all on record, and it's known that she went to a hotel to meet a very famous man at the height of his fame about a film role at dates that closely correspond to the attack. I'm not sure, but I think it was on record somewhere at some point it was KD she was supposed to meet, but possibly over the years any naming has been redacted. She was 16, and it was 1954. He would have been 38 and was by then a huge star with plenty of award nominations under his belt.

I honestly can't find anything substantive on it - a lot of articles quote the gawker article that quotes the anonymous comment on a gossip website. If someone has a link to anything beyond shadowy rumours, I'd be interested in reading it.

Pretty disappointing about Franco tbh. I just don't get people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The accusations against him seem extremely band wagoney

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

Some do but there's enough proper dodgy ones (rather than just invitations) to give credence to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The stuff about his film school has been around for months. Supposedly there was going to be an expose about it which didn't happen. Other stuff about his behaviour on college campuses was years ago. It's not just because he won a golden globe or because of the Weinstein stuff.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The stuff about his film school has been around for months. Supposedly there was going to be an expose about it which didn't happen. Other stuff about his behaviour on college campuses was years ago. It's not just because he won a golden globe or because of the Weinstein stuff.

A woman is accusing him of asking her to pose nude in something for $100. What's the problem here? He asked, she said yes.

Another is saying he tried to force her to perform oral sex on him in a car. Did he force her or try to? Was he messing around or deadly serious. These type of accusations lessen the impact of the real ones imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah, there have been rumours about him for a while. And there was that time he admitted to coming on to a 17-year-old girl.

I honestly can't find anything substantive on it - a lot of articles quote the gawker article that quotes the anonymous comment on a gossip website. If someone has a link to anything beyond shadowy rumours, I'd be interested in reading it.

I think it first appeared in a biography about her years ago, without naming him, but has been an open secret pretty much since it happened. A quick Google yesterday showed it being discussed on message boards at least back in 2004 and KDs name being mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A woman is accusing him of asking her to pose nude in something for $100. What's the problem here? He asked, she said yes.

Another is saying he tried to force her to perform oral sex on him in a car. Did he force her or try to? Was he messing around or deadly serious. These type of accusations lessen the impact of the real ones imo

How is forcing someone to perform oral sex messing around? By try to, do you mean ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,088 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will it hurt his Oscar chances now?

Lux23 wrote: »
    How is forcing someone to perform oral sex messing around? By try to, do you mean ask?

He didn't force her to. She didn't give him oral sex per the accusations

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It seems to me that there's been a big clean up of stuff online. When I first read about it a few years back there was loads more articles. I remember seeing details of her injuries, timelines, and different actors who were close to her, plus her family quoted at length. Now it's all the gawker type links and that's not where I originally read it.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Ah, there have been rumours about him for a while. And there was that time he admitted to coming on to a 17-year-old girl.

The age of consent in New York is 17

The age of consent in New York is 17

I'm sure he's careful to stick within the law. Still, a late 30s man pestering a 17 year old to come to his hotel room is off putting to say the least. When I think back to myself at that age, I was pretty much still a child.

But you're right, nothing illegal about it. Combined with the other stuff it does show a pattern of behaviour though.

I do like him as an actor, doesn't mean he isn't a bit of a creep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So Michael Douglas has gone on a pre-emptive interview about claims form 30 years ago. The worse one is that he masturbated in front of a woman but the others are about colorful language and language of a sexual nature in front of (not directed at) the complainant.
    Hopefully the attention seekers will eat themselves this year and serious allegations are dealt with by the justice system and twitter will be used for memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

strandroad wrote: »
    To voluntarily remove themselves and give field to who wanted them removed, blackballed or controlled? That's illogical.
    What I would like to see is the exact opposite, the likes of Sorvino or Judd or Rapp or Sciorra invited and speaking, showing that they are still in the fold. I didn't follow the event and don't know if they were there, but they should. Perhaps they didn't want to.

This was mentioned in an earlier post-they weren't there because they were not invited. Sorvino, Sciorra, Rose McGowan, Darryl Hannah, etc etc were all left out in the cold. (Possibly because they called Meryl out on her crap-note how the first ten minutes the camera had to 'remind' us Meryl was there).

The staying home would have been a good thing, I feel. (A few actresses did that, including Anne Hathaway-but she was under the weather. Or at least, she claimed she was). But unfortunately, it's business to promote designers dresses. And actresses get free stuff for doing that-so they went, cos free stuff.

Even Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston didn't make peace for one night, to show 'solidarity'...pffft.

The NYT have cancelled an event that was to be held for James Franco and his new movie.

https://www.thewrap.com/new-york-times-cancels-james-franco-panel/
    Ipso wrote: »
    So Michael Douglas has gone on a pre-emptive interview about claims form 30 years ago. The worse one is that he masturbated in front of a woman but the others are about colorful language and language of a sexual nature in front of (not directed at) the complainant.
    Hopefully the attention seekers will eat themselves this year and serious allegations are dealt with by the justice system and twitter will be used for memes.

https://www.thewrap.com/michael-douglas-interview-preemptively-deny-sexual-misconduct/

Like father, like son, eh? (Yeah, I tried to hold back saying that, but it crept out).

Greta Gerwig is trying to save face now, saying she won't work with Woody Allen again.
    http://people.com/movies/greta-gerwig-says-she-will-not-work-for-woody-allen-again-after-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Spielberg needs to grow a pair. Seriously.
    https://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielberg-responds-to-natalie-portman-best-director-quip-at-the-golden-globes/

Ipso wrote: »

I wondered why he missed the Golden Globes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Urgh, saw a clip of Natalie Portman’s ‘male nominees’ comment. Very snide. And smug. Maybe there was female directors who could have been considered but that’s not the fault of the nominees. It was what it was at that point. The implication that they don’t deserve their nominations. Plus she would have known that the camera would be focussing on their faces. Talk about putting them in an awkward position. Just struck me as very opportunistic and bandwagony - “here’s my moment to make an important statement!”.

Crap like that undermines good stuff that is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

When I heard on the news this morning that Harvey Weinstein got a slap in a restaurant last night, I expected it to be a newsworthy slap.

But it was this...

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_m7ghzfto/

I see the singer SEAL has called out Oprah winfrey something savage!!
    ouch, especially from "a brotha" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Candie wrote: »
    I suppose I don't get why it's important what various entities working in the most vacuous industry on earth have to say about anything.

The only important people to me are the victims, and if the abusers get some kind of justice handed to them that's the beginning and the end to me. I've zero interest in the opinions of various names or hangers on.

I just find it a bit odd how the conversation is about them and their thoughts. It's no wonder they're under the impression that they're actually important and that people care what they think.

I think it's because the likes of Meryl Streep have some power in Hollywood and the victims have no power in Hollywood. If a fledgling actress speaks out about scummy behaviour like Weinstein's her career is over. That's the cesspool that Hollywood is. So it's essentially a power thing. And Streep and the likes have power (at least more power than others). That's what this whole conversation is about. A culture that allows this. And Streep is smack bang in the middle of it doing her bull**** routine. And everyone laps it up.

Nothing will change in Hollywood (or more broadly) as long as people keep lapping up that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Natalie Portman's 'here are the all male nominees' for best director was also, I feel, another deferral. (She paid no attention to how they were all white etc). And most of the winners on the night were, you guessed it, white. (Oscars so white didn't get a tweet, eh?).

It's almost like these awards are based in a country with an overwhelmingly white population :confused:

Oh wait, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

rusty cole wrote: »

and everything he said was spot on

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/01/11/seal-calls-out-oprah-winfrey-for-hypocrisy-calls-her-part-problem.html

Taking on Oprah wow but fair play and good on him

#SanctimoniousHollywood”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Could people have been clueless about the Douglas allegations when giving him a standing ovation? - I'll admit to not knowing anything about it until I heard people giving out about it on Twitter. And, like I said already, all I've seen is an accusation by anonymous poster on a gossip website. Has there been anything concrete said about him or any actual accusations made against Douglas?

I'd never heard any of that either. But then I don't read gossip rags.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Urgh, saw a clip of Natalie Portman’s ‘male nominees’ comment. Very snide. And smug. Maybe there was female directors who could have been considered but that’s not the fault of the nominees. It was what it was at that point. The implication that they don’t deserve their nominations. Plus she would have known that the camera would be focussing on their faces. Talk about putting them in an awkward position. Just struck me as very opportunistic and bandwagony - “here’s my moment to make an important statement!”.

Crap like that undermines good stuff that is happening.

Greta Gerwig was only likely contender for LadyBird, Oscars will probably make it up to her now :P

Barbara Streisand also made a remark about female directors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Seal is a British Nigerian from West London known for being down to earth and generally sound; the whole American identity politics wankfest wouldn't be as big an attraction for him as it would over there I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Laois_Man wrote: »
    When I heard on the news this morning that Harvey Weinstein got a slap in a restaurant last night, I expected it to be a newsworthy slap.

But it was this...

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_m7ghzfto/

It looks like the chap was brushing off a small fly.

Apparently the clip was being sold for 100k to news networks, hopefully it won't encourage others (100k!) to offer the 'sloth like creature' the occasional slap.

Advertisement