Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

'Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Harvey raped, molested and harassed a load of women - we get it - but did you see that bit of virtue-signaling Streep did?!?!?'
    Show me where he was convicted of rape? It's easy to make allegations to papers, let's see some criminal proceedings.

Will it make it you happier if I put 'allegedly' before it? Will that right the wrongs in this world?

]'Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Harvey allegedly raped, molested and harassed a load of women and almost ever woman that has dealt with him in a professional capacity seems to have a story about his inappropriate behaviour - we get it - but did you see that bit of virtue-signaling Streep did?!?!?'

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    The golden globes was sickening virtue signalling and hypocrisy on a level barely witnessed before. Meryl Streep has to be one of the most dislikeable people on the entire planet the absolute state of her with her double standards preaching to the rest of us. Fcuk off you weapon.

I'm getting tired of the Streep bashing. She may be a complete and utter hypocrite. So what? Unlike rape or sexual assault, it's not a crime. If she says a prayer for Roman Polanski every night, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

what virtue signalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's just all so nauseating at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

anna080 wrote: »
    It's just all so nauseating at this point.

Couldn't agree more.

All those numpties wearing black, attention seeking.

If the man, or any other man in Hollywood commited any crimes, let the law take them to task. If you had sex with a guy, or let a guy touch you, to further your career, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Remember the time there were complaints about the lack of black people at the Oscars and then the next year there were tonnes of black nominees, but then it pretty much went back to business as usual? That's honestly how I see this going. There's a big hubbub this year, but is it going to last? I don't see it.

That's not to say that I don't want things to change, but Hollywood is always going to be a money game, and they'll go with the most profitable option, whether that's a token round of female-led productions or silent pay-offs of offenders and warnings to victims to keep quiet.

As regular Joe (and Jane) Soaps, I think it's more important that we are aware of predatory behaviour in our own workplaces and in our own social lives, that we tell people when their behaviour is not okay, and that we enable people who need to tell their stories to do so. Hollywood isn't "real" to me - it's so far removed from us normies that I see it on a separate plane. But if we can use all this as a lesson in our own lives, well then that's something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

NIMAN wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

All those numpties wearing black, attention seeking.

If the man, or any other man in Hollywood commited any crimes, let the law take them to task. If you had sex with a guy, or let a guy touch you, to further your career, get over it.

So if Hollywood systemically exploits women and/or children and women and/or children take part in that exploitation because of the promise of a career, that's okay?

I think the worst part of all this is seeing people like Justin Timberlake tweeting about the #metoo movement and coming across like someone who cares, when not three months ago he was promoting the new Woody Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There was so much of this that irritated the hell out of me. 'Vote for Oprah'-ummmm, no thanks. Her show enabled people like Jenny McCarthy and her 'anti-vaxx' lies. Gave Trump a platform (oh, and was then 'denouncing' him last night).
    She's friends with John Travolta-yeah, the creepy weird guy who's been accused of molesting or assaulting a number of guys.
    Oprah looked out for the rich people-she came from poverty, but never looked out for the little person. Like she forgot where she came from. You only have to watch one of her shows to know that.
    Oh and there was that time she done ticked off beef farmers in the US.
    And she also unleashed Dr Phil, and Dr Oz on us...

She'd only protect much of the rich.

The last thing that ticked me off was Natalie Portman's 'and here's all the men that are nominated'....
    Hey Nat? When you won your Oscar for Black Swan, in 2011, how many non-white, non-heterosexual women were nominated that year? The answer is zilch, zero, nada...now go watch 'Perfect Blue', it's the brilliant movie that Darren Aronofsky ripped off to make Black Swan. Oh, and despite it being animatedm the main actress does all her own dancing, no stunt doubles who didn't get credit, not like Portman. Of all the people to claim someone didnt 'earn it '.

The Globes were very much 'Globes so White'-Oprah was a distraction, again. Much of it was all distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The last thing that ticked me off was Natalie Portman's 'and here's all the men that are nominated'....
    Hey Nat? When you won your Oscar for Black Swan, in 2011, how many non-white, non-heterosexual women were nominated that year? The answer is zilch, zero, nada...now go watch 'Perfect Blue', it's the brilliant movie that Darren Aronofsky ripped off to make Black Swan. Oh, and despite it being animatedm the main actress does all her own dancing, no stunt doubles who didn't get credit, not like Portman. Of all the people to claim someone didnt 'earn it '.

She also signed a petition defending child rapist Roman Polanski.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/17/16156902/roman-polanski-child-rape-charges-explained-samantha-geimer-robin-m

Prominent celebrities across America were outraged; 138 of them signed a petition against his arrest, including Natalie Portman, Tilda Swinton, Isabelle Huppert, Penelope Cruz, Diane von Furstenberg, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Martin Scorsese, Monica Bellucci, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Harmony Korine, Ethan Cohen, David Lynch, and Harrison Ford.

The arguments were many: The trial was a long time ago; the judge was corrupt; Polanski is a great artist; and anyway, as Whoopi Goldberg put it, he had only pleaded guilty to statutory rape, not “rape-rape.”

• Advertisement

She also signed a petition defending child rapist Roman Polanski.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/17/16156902/roman-polanski-child-rape-charges-explained-samantha-geimer-robin-m

Prominent celebrities across America were outraged; 138 of them signed a petition against his arrest, including Natalie Portman, Tilda Swinton, Isabelle Huppert, Penelope Cruz, Diane von Furstenberg, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Martin Scorsese, Monica Bellucci, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Harmony Korine, Ethan Cohen, David Lynch, and Harrison Ford.

The arguments were many: The trial was a long time ago; the judge was corrupt; Polanski is a great artist; and anyway, as Whoopi Goldberg put it, he had only pleaded guilty to statutory rape, not “rape-rape.”

Yeah, Rose McGowan said she does not have enough middle fingers for them. The dailymail is worth a nod for its coverage. As was the ringer, which noted an element of 'cognitive dissonance"-similar to how Band Aid were all 'we ended poverty'.

Lena Dunham was there, despite her standing by a writer friend accused of rape, the accusing his accuser of lying. And Elizabeth Moss did a metoo speech. This despite her cult of scientology covering up for Masterson Travolta, and far too many others.

And then some actress showed up with a 'povery is sexist teeshirt'...:confused:

Best moment if the night, the insufferable Greta Gerwig being asked if she has any regrets over working with Woody Allen. What follows is 60 seconds of the most uncomfortable rambling I have seen in years.

David Krumholtz also recently spoke about Allen and how the film he made in 2017 was OK as he didn't know about Allen. The Twitter thread is just a man screaming abuse at anyone who confronts him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Apart from the Dafoe joke Seth's monologue was so cringeworthy.

A 'White people' and 'Mansplaining' gag shoehorned in too..............

And a Trump joke..ya know,while Kirk and others sit there and go unpunished...

Hypocrisy thy name is Hollywood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a great PR and Marketing ploy by that diseased, corrupted temple, Hollywood.
    This time next year, it will hardly warrant a mention.
    And the media in the US will be acquiescent in dampening it down as well.

Also last night was sickening in giving James Franco a Golden Globe. Given a potential class-action Lawsuit against himself and his Acting school which closed very suddenly.

Allegedly this lovely guy was using it as a casting couch for himself and his friends. And the teaching methods were unorthodox to say the least.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a great PR and Marketing ploy by that diseased, corrupted temple, Hollywood.

Also last night was sickening in giving James Franco a Golden Globe. Given a potential class-action Lawsuit against himself and his Acting school which closed very suddenly.

Allegedly this lovely guy was using it as a casting couch for himself and his friends. And the teaching methods were unorthodox to say the least.

Yeah, you can find 'reviews' of Francos school-some bizarre reports. An easy A was the general consensus, in that you could submit a paper, know he didn't read it, and boom-he puts an 'A' on it.
    Another said 'an after class meeting' was Franco sitting in a room crying for the full ten minutes. That's bizarre.

I've read a few actresses on twitter discussing the crap he pulled. Makes me question what other stunts he's pulling on 'The Deuce'.

Loved this comics summation of the Globes.

https://twitter.com/jessecase/status/950498791555260416

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, and this will muffle the cries of 'can we have more roles for black actors'.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yes, and this will muffle the cries of 'can we have more roles for black actors'.

The one black actor who won, nay, the one black person who won, made one of the most profound speeches. That his role was written as a character no one else could play but a black actor. It wasn't a 'race' change, a role written with a white actor in mind.

Oprah's speech disappointed me. She called out the 'abusers of women' but neglected to speak about the paedos who abused young boys.
    And also, what was intriguing, was a noticeable lack of common sense. A number of black actresses, black directors, black women directors who could introduce Oprah up on stage...and they pick the 'plucky blonde Texan white lady'...it was laughable. (The one time to make a note on diversity-where was Portman when that happened?).

Rather disheartening and dispiriting was that Asia Argento, among other Weinstein accusers, was not invited to the Globes...not a single one, not even Mira Sorvino.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/golden-globes-2018-rose-mcgowan-criticizes-hollywood-fakery-w515142
    So it was the usual crap of denouncing men, pretending to support women, then turning on the 3 ladies who didn't wear black. All while sweeping their crimes under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Naltalie Portman came across as a bit of a miserable wagon with her snide comments about male nominees. Im sure she could become a director herself if its so easy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

silverharp wrote: »
    Naltalie Portman came across as a bit of a miserable wagon with her snide comments about male nominees. Im sure she could become a director herself if its so easy

She has directed a film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tale_of_Love_and_Darkness_(film)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Best moment if the night, the insufferable Greta Gerwig being asked if she has any regrets over working with Woody Allen. What follows is 60 seconds of the most uncomfortable rambling I have seen in years.

David Krumholtz also recently spoke about Allen and how the film he made in 2017 was OK as he didn't know about Allen. The Twitter thread is just a man screaming abuse at anyone who confronts him.

I don't know why someone has to be questioned about working with someone 2 years before they were accused of wrongdoing - I am not aware of any any other actors, producers directors etc being asked on Sunday if they regretted having worked with Weinstein, Spacey etc years ago? Seems unfair

Having said this, I watched the repeat of the show on RTE last night - most of it - and I became increasingly irritated by the whole charade about how these women will now be believed in the future. Is there one single woman who made a single accusation against any major hollywood celebrity who has not been believed? If anything it's the other way around. Seems like any malicious woman can make an accusation against anybody they want at the moment and it will be treated as fact!

And Seth Meyers is an absolutely terrible choice of host! He's dreadful!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't know why someone has to be questioned about working with someone 2 years before they were accused of wrongdoing - I am not aware of any any other actors, producers directors etc being asked on Sunday if they regretted having worked with Weinstein, Spacey etc years ago? Seems unfair

Having said this, I watched the repeat of the show on RTE last night - most of it - and I became increasingly irritated by the whole charade about how these women will now be believed in the future. Is there one single woman who made a single accusation against any major hollywood celebrity who has not been believed? If anything it's the other way around. Seems like any malicious woman can make an accusation against anybody they want at the moment and it will be treated as fact!

And Seth Meyers is an absolutely terrible choice of host! He's dreadful!
    Seth Myers is everything that's wrong with modern life in human form.

Laois_Man wrote: »

I think it's more down to the fact that so many people have spoken about how they regret working with him. The Woody Allen allegations have been out there since 1992 or so. This wasn't a new allegation in 2014, just that for the first time the victim spoke out. Gerwig has when promoting her new film spoken out against those in Hollywood accused of abuse but then she has in the past had no issue with working with a man who has been publically accused since the early 90s.

It's like when you have Meryl Streep speaking out against the abusers but who had no problem standing to applaud Polanski a few years back at the Oscars. Or when you have Natalie Portman speaking out about how awful these men are but was happy to sign the Polanski petition a few years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

'Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Harvey raped, molested and harassed a load of women - we get it - but did you see that bit of virtue-signaling Streep did?!?!?'
    Show me where he was convicted of rape? It's easy to make allegations to papers, let's see some criminal proceedings.

Did Meryl Streep not defend that Roman Polanski fella? That's what makes me sick about her.

Streep is certainly hypocritical, I'm sure lots of others are too. I don't understand how the conversation has now centred around people on the periphery of the scandal as though they're as responsible as the rapists, assaulters and abusers. First the attention turned to the behaviour of the victims, now it's about the bystanders. There's precious little happening with the accused.

On another note, I recorded a made-for-tv movie that has Corey Feldman as executive producer, apparently got out there very quickly. It's called "A Tale of Two Coreys". Ten or fifteen minutes in, I'm not sure I'll be watching it all the way through. :(

Candie wrote: »
    Streep is certainly hypocritical, I'm sure lots of others are too. I don't understand how the conversation has now centred around people on the periphery of the scandal as though they're as responsible as the rapists, assaulters and abusers. First the attention turned to the behaviour of the victims, now it's about the bystanders. There's precious little happening with the accused..

I think the problem many have is that we have numerous Hollywood celebrities tweeting things like #metoo and #whywewearblack while giving interviews in which they talk about change and how we need to see all the abusers brought down. At the same time, they are happy to work with filmmakers like Woody Allen or have in the past defended people like Polanski.

Kate Winslet has spoken out about Weinstein publically and yet not a month ago while promoting the new Woody Allen film, defended both Allen and Polanski saying 'Woody Allen is an incredible director. So is Roman Polanski. I had an extraordinary working experience with both of those men, and that’s the truth." There's a great picture of her on a talk show talking about how great Allen is while Margot Robbie, Jessica Chastain and everyone else in the room is giving her daggers.

I suppose I don't get why it's important what various entities working in the most vacuous industry on earth have to say about anything.

The only important people to me are the victims, and if the abusers get some kind of justice handed to them that's the beginning and the end to me. I've zero interest in the opinions of various names or hangers on.

I just find it a bit odd how the conversation is about them and their thoughts. It's no wonder they're under the impression that they're actually important and that people care what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Women speaking out. Great to see. Voices of reason in this whole business, rather than just more bandwagon merchants :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/09/catherine-deneuve-men-should-be-free-hit-on-women-harvey-weinstein-scandal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

https://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-harassment-dear-sisters-weinstein-3776865-Jan2018/

Hmmm. A genuine attempt to highlight sexual harassment in 'blue collar' jobs, or a cynical attempt to distract from the rotten core of Hollywood, and at the same time rebuilt their damaged images as saviours of the sisterhood?

This is so cute, celebrities pretending to care about the little people.

To paraphrase Sally Field: "We like you. We really, really like you!"

Well, they surely showed themselves up in their true colours at the Golden Globes when they shamelessly gave a standing ovation to that old misogynist and alleged rapist, Kirk Douglas. I was absolutely stunned when I saw him being wheeled out onto the stage! What were the organisers thinking of?? Lots of allegations that he repeatedly violently raped Natalie Wood when she was only sixteen - she supposedly never got over the trauma. Her injuries were allegedly so serious that she finished up in hospital. It is said that whenever she subsequently saw him in Hollywood, she got physically sick. Yet, Meryl and Co. cheerfully clapped and cheered this monster - so much for the movement and the black dresses!! Bunch of hypocrites!! :mad:

Advertisement