Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corned Beef

Options
  • 09-01-2018 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

When I was young, my mother fed me corned beef morning, noon and night. I fcuking hated it. My sister always use to say that corned beef was what poor people ate and that it was made from organ meat which was spiced and squashed into a can. So, after about 25 years of last trying it, I decided to buy a can at Christmas. I mixed it with mayonaisse and put it into a sandwich and discovered that it was in fact delicious. I also took time to read up on corned beef and discovered that it is a piece of cured pressed meat and was at one time, one of Ireland's biggest exports.
    So what are your thoughts on corned beef?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fake News wrote: »
    When I was young, my mother fed me corned beef morning, noon and night. I fcuking hated it. My sister always use to say that corned beef was what poor people ate and that it was made from organ meat which was spiced and squashed into a can. So, after about 25 years of last trying it, I decided to buy a can at Christmas. I mixed it with mayonaisse and put it into a sandwich and discovered that it was in fact delicious. I also took time to read up on corned beef and discovered that it is a piece of cured pressed meat and was at one time, one of Ireland's biggest exports.

Fu kin grand in a Tayto sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Always hated it as a kid.

Haven't eaten it since about the turn of the century.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Real corned beef is nyom. The stuff in a tin is yuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Fake News wrote: »

Show off.
    It was tins of soylent green in our house.

01-soylent-green.w710.h473.2x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

My primary school got sandwiches delivered every day. Once a week the filling was corned beef. I brought my own lunch but I'd always take the corned beef sandwich, always thought it was pretty nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

spurious wrote: »
    Real corned beef is nyom. The stuff in a tin is yuk.

QFT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Corned beef looks like ham with chickenpox, never liked the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Fu kin grand in a Tayto sandwich.

Did you really have to quote the op, was it not obvious it was to the op you were replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

We used to have it with cabbage and white sauce. I hated it for years but would probably munch away on it now. The real meat not the tinned one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We used to have it with cabbage and white sauce. I hated it for years but would probably munch away on it now. The real meat not the tinned one.

It's savage, especially if the cabbage is cooked in the water the corned beef has been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

Up to recently,I was still getting it vacuum sealed to send to sister in the UK,until she found a source near where she lives..Corned beef from a can is basically Spam,not Corned beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

If you're feeling rather hungry, hey there's a product you'll remember.

Eat it hot or cold on Sunday, or you can put it in a blender.

Corned Beef with chips or with salad, It's corned beef - even Buckingham Palce eats corned beef.

Hey why don't you try corned beef hash!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Hazlett lads. Can't beat it. Corned beef could only wish to be hazlett. Smathering of mayo and fresh white bread and hot cuppa. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

Marty Bird wrote: »

Hey why don't you try corned beef hash!"?

I prefer to put my hash into some petit filous ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Real corned beef is vile. The tinned stuff is even viler. When I was a kid the real stuff was often made from brisket. When you consider how good a brisket barbecued for 12-14 hours is, throwing it into a big tub of brine before boiling the arse out of it is an awful travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I'm sure you used to get tins of it off the social welfare when I was a kid or it was like that free cheese thing a few years back.
    Hated the stuff and it was ****ing everywhere.

It was like someone found a way to condense the feeling and atmosphere of a dole queue into some kind of fatty syrup and then marinated scraps of beef in it.

Didn't eat corned beef as an adult until just a few weeks ago. The proper stuff is actually lovely if you can disassociate it from bad memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Hazlett lads. Can't beat it. Corned beef could only wish to be hazlett. Smathering of mayo and fresh white bread and hot cuppa. Heaven.

I tip my hat to you , sir.
    Hazlet is heaven sent.

Zaph wrote: »
    Real corned beef is vile. The tinned stuff is even viler. When I was a kid the real stuff was often made from brisket. When you consider how good a brisket barbecued for 12-14 hours is, throwing it into a big tub of brine before boiling the arse out of it is an awful travesty.

Ooh no boiling, just a couple of hours slightly below the boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

somefeen wrote: »
    I'm sure you used to get tins of it off the social welfare when I was a kid or it was like that free cheese thing a few years back.
    Hated the stuff and it was ****ing everywhere.

It was like someone found a way to condense the feeling and atmosphere of a dole queue into some kind of fatty syrup and then marinated scraps of beef in it.

Didn't eat corned beef as an adult until just a few weeks ago. The proper stuff is actually lovely if you can disassociate it from bad memories.
    The lumps of fat that come with it does it no favours. It looks like cat food. The product needs to be re-branded and given new packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I used to get it in slices on my school lunch sandwiches. Liked it well enough but preferred the chicken or ham days. My hubbie likes it in a sandwich with tomato. My granny used to give us what I thought was spam...I hated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Did you really have to make that post?

BTW Corned beef is lovely on fresh white bread

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The odd slice of Corned beef is nice but I never liked luncheon roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

The odd slice of Corned beef is nice but I never liked luncheon roll.

That luncheon roll is pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Love corned beef always did even as a kid . cant beat it with a fresh loaf of crusty bread with lashings of kerrygold butter and loads of helmanns mayo and a hot cuppa taaaaeeee nom nom nom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zaph wrote: »

The yanks all think the Irish eat corned beef (the boiled variety) and cabbage on a regular basis - go figure ...

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/chef-gilligans-corned-beef-and-cabbage-87626582-237359981

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The boiled type can be the bomb so long as it is not over cooked. Get yourselves a meat thermometer people. You won't regret it.

The stuff in a small tin is vile, tastes like cheap bubble gum to me.

The sliced packaged stuff in the likes of Centra, nope.

The 'fresh' sliced stuff from a butchers or good deli counter, in a salad sandwich with fresh white bread, salad cream (Chef) and lashings of piping hot tea .... Lovely.

In sandwiches in school ??? Jaysus' that's bringing right back to the mid 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm getting days on the bog flashbacks with the thought of corned beef sandwiches.

I like it, the real deal or the canned stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Proper corned beef in a sandwich with some mature cheddar and slightly under ripe tomato.
    DELICIOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

I think like everyone I was turned off it as a child, especially the sliced one. My nan used to fry the tinned stuff for us though, made it nice and crispy and put it on toast or with potatoes. Used to love that, I haven't had that though since probably 1995. I rediscovered the sliced corned beef (butcher sliced, not packaged slice) about fifteen years ago and I still liked it the odd time before i gave up meat completely last year. My mouth is watering now at the thought of it though. I liked it two ways, one in a sandwich, with plenty of butter, taytos topped with brown sauce or just simply put the corned beef on toast, with butter and a little bit of white pepper sprinkled over it. Feck.. I want corned beef now.

Advertisement