Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corned Beef

Options

Comments

Can’t believe anyone was picky about what meat they ate in the 90s or before- I loved it all. Corned beef was delicious, haven’t tasted it in ages though. Last time I had it I liked it. Used to be so jealous of my friends who were allowed to eat beef during the BSE scare- it was all pork mince, fish fingers, roast chicken and the odd fry up for us. Used to pine for a hamburger! Honourable mention to “billy roll” - unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Love the tinned stuff but the real version it so different and beautiful.

When I was a kid I used to make toasties with the tinned stuff. Grate some cheese and mix it with grated corned beef - became a cheeesy meaty sludge that was so nice. Sometimes add a wee drizzle of ketchup and into the toastie maker. Mouth is watering just thinking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Hazzlet and Corned beef amazing

Pork onion and tomato roll Jesus wept why would you feed that to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Always hated it as a kid.

Haven't eaten it since about the turn of the century.

At the turn of the century you'd have been a garsun not a kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

...__... wrote: »
    Hazzlet and Corned beef amazing

Pork onion and tomato roll Jesus wept why would you feed that to someone.

I like all 3, but can rarely bring myself to eat any knowing what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Fake News wrote: »
    My sister always use to say that corned beef was what poor people ate

How is her ladyship these days?

Jesus, any type of meat was a treat when I was young. I got corned beef sandwiches once a year for my school trip as a treat.

Proper stuff is excellent for dinner and then leftovers for sandwiches - delish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'd take a tin of corned beef over a tin of spam any day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most people don't know what proper corned beef is. Corned beef is a salt-cured beef. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with large grained rock salt, also called "corns" of salt.

Somewhere along the way somebody thought it meant pressed meat with sweetcorn added and squeezed into a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Carrion gobbling vultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Carrion gobbling vultures.

Go on ya bleddin veganista ya ...corned beef (tinned) to meat is what cola is to water :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Hazlett lads. Can't beat it. Corned beef could only wish to be hazlett. Smathering of mayo and fresh white bread and hot cuppa. Heaven.

Is that the horrible glow in the dark pink / purple stuff you used to see in butchers everywhere?

I say horrible - I've never eaten it, I have a phobia of neon foods.

Edit: Google tells me that stuff was called brawn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Love it but have pretty much stopped eating it due to health concerns. Saturated fats and all that, especially the canned stuff. The one you get from the butcher's counter seems less fatty.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Conchir wrote: »
    My primary school got sandwiches delivered every day. Once a week the filling was corned beef. I brought my own lunch but I'd always take the corned beef sandwich, always thought it was pretty nice.

Buns on a Wednesday and corned beef on a Thursday in James St school back in the day. Horrible jam sambos on a Friday, with the jam on a hot day melting along with the butter and becoming a slimy mass, coagulating on the plastic packing in which it came
    All washed down with a tepid glass bottle of milk.

God be with those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The stuff in a tin or sliced in the corner shop was always rank.

But "proper" corned beef is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I loved it as a kid, even the shop sliced stuff everybody looks down their nose at.

I even begged my Ma to make corned beef burgers when I spotted them mentioned somewhere.

I liked Haslet too. You never really see that around anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Can’t believe anyone was picky about what meat they ate in the 90s or before- I loved it all. Honourable mention to “billy roll” - unreal.

Bright pink highly processed meat and liver...two pre Celtic Tiger 'delicacies' I'd rather not sample again.
    Barf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

razorblunt wrote: »
    The stuff in a tin or sliced in the corner shop was always rank.

But "proper" corned beef is fantastic.

This. Proper boiled beef with cabbage, turnip, and boiled spuds is an epic dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Used to remember as a young fella on a Sunday and one of the elder sibling's going to the local shop for tinned corn beef, tomatoes and fresh batch bread for the tea. Never ate it with mayo though, always salad cream.
    Delicious. Used to enjoy a slice of it on the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And whilst on the subject of SW culinary delightful meats let's not forget that 'auld Dublin' favourite, Brawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Bread, butter, corned beef, tayto crisps and a mug of scalding hot tea - pure happiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You literally wouldn't pay me to eat corned beef again, or any food associated with it. Rather go hungry. Rather go vegetarian, its the foulest meat I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's very strong-tasting, and if you have too much of it, it makes your pee smell ... meaty. So it needs to be sliced thin, or "diluted" in a recipe such as corned beef hash.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Most people don't know what proper corned beef is. Corned beef is a salt-cured beef. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with large grained rock salt, also called "corns" of salt.

Somewhere along the way somebody thought it meant pressed meat with sweetcorn added and squeezed into a can.

Clearly not true. The vast majority of the posters here clearly know the difference between the three main types of Corned Beef, in fact I think it is you that is mistaken thinking there is corn in the tinned stuff. 100% beef in the canned stuff. Just cooked and processed differently. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If anyone wants to try real Corned Beef, Nolans butchers in Kilcullen sell it sliced. Will never taste the same as when you cook it at home but at least it is the real deal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

kylith wrote: »
    QFT

Haven't seen this in years!!!!

Haven't corned beef in years either. I remember it being pretty horrible. Leaves a layer of fat on your pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sliced corned beef from the deli, a slice of mature cheddar in a white bread sandwich. Few crisps on the side. Snack of the Gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have not eaten in a good few years but yes I must admit to enjoying it's trashiness - crisp and corned beef sandwich is indeed a it's so bad it's good winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Since were talking about Corned Beef, it may also have been the one of the first smuggled items into space.

Astronaut John Young who just died on January 5th (RIP) smuggled a ham sandwich into space before.

The Transcript is brilliant:

Grissom: What is it?
    Young: Corn beef sandwich.
    Grissom: Where did that come from?
    Young: I brought it with me. Let’s see how it tastes. Smells, doesn’t it?
    Grissom: Yes, it’s breaking up. I’m going to stick it in my pocket.
    Young: Is it?
    Young: It was a thought, anyway.
    Grissom: Yep.
    Young: Not a very good one.
    Grissom: Pretty good, though, if it would just hold together.
    Young: Want some chicken leg?
    Grissom: No, you can handle that.

Some congressmen were so furious with the prank that NASA has to apologies and 'take' measures that this would never happen again.

But Corned Beef was on the menu by the time of the space shuttle missions (Which John Young also flew)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well thank goodness no one smuggled a copy of Playboy onto the moon. Aliens confused by artefact assume all Earthings are the same sex and have long hair and big tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

then there is corn beef hash, why was that never a thing here?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Corned beef with chips or with salad.

Corned beef, even Buckingham Palace eats corned beef.

Why don't you try corned beef haaaash.

Advertisement