Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids refusing to go to school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Author of Bully-Proof Kids and Cotton Wool Kids, O’Malley says parents have reported to her that when they tell a teenager he or she can stay home as a result of their anxiety about school, the child “immediately cheers up and becomes significantly less anxious”.

9b3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No normal kid ever wanted to go to school

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

My cousin suffers badly from anxiety and therapists have recommended he not be forced go to school. He is happier now, not just because he's at home, but in that he makes more of an effort in other areas of his life because he doesn't have the stress of school.

I think it's a tough one. I struggled through school, college and early adulthood with anxiety I'd never dealt with and it was crippling. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone. But total avoidance isn't the answer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

"Home-schooling" fcuks kids up. They don't develop social skills properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

It's called school refusal David Caery was talking about in on news talk a few weeks back he said the longer /note they miss the harder it is for them to return so keeping them out is the wrong answer your supposed to go to the principal explain the situation and they sort out some one to meet them at the gate and welcome them/bring them in have a chat calm them down

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

_Roz_ wrote: »
    My cousin suffers badly from anxiety and therapists have recommended he not be forced go to school. He is happier now, not just because he's at home, but in that he makes more of an effort in other areas of his life because he doesn't have the stress of school.

I think it's a tough one. I struggled through school, college and early adulthood with anxiety I'd never dealt with and it was crippling. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone. But total avoidance isn't the answer either.

and how will he survive the rest of his life without an education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

School had me in tears as a kid. I've suffered life long anxiety and panic disorder. I had friends and did well with school work and was never bullied or anything but I just couldn't cope with it. I was written off as being a brat by everyone but my parents, in the end they got me homeschooled.

In a long term full time job now living away from home. Often wonder if I was made to stay what effect it would have had. Quite happy right now though.

_Roz_ wrote: »

Jesus. When I hear people going on about kids, anxiety, therapists, the stress of school, you just wonder how they will get through life. Think social media and the whole "it's okay to not be okay" has really popularised anxiety. Lot to be said for the shoe up the arse and told to get out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Is this a consequence of kids in the noughties and beyond sitting in front of computer games or mobile devices and not having to socialize with real people?

The parents of many kids living in seclusion from society thought it was a great idea once they were not being bothered.

I went to a community school in the 90's and it would have been rare for students not turning up to school for long periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Spare the rod....

Chrongen wrote: »

That's nonsense. You're not locked in the attic for your childhood with no contact.

I've encountered plenty of people with questionable social skills that stayed in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

To be fair... going to school in Tipperary would make me anxious and unhappy too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Think social media and the whole "it's okay to not be okay" has really popularised anxiety. Lot to be said for the shoe up the arse and told to get out the door.

Yeah, normally whats said is "Boy, 15, found hanging from tree".

No-body goes through life being OK all the time. Feeling up and down is what life is all about. People deal with it different ways and talking about it is the first step towards fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

One solution is as my grandad says “a good kick in the hole”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Snowflakes ah now for **** sake.

If my kids decide to stop their education early they will see another side of life. However things not simple and would probably find it hard to resolve the situation, the softly softly approach isn't my forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/schoolflakes-the-children-not-going-to-school-because-they-don-t-like-it-1.3340555

Interesting article here. I have sympathy for any child who genuinely dreads going to school, but just letting them stay at home isn't doing them any favours in the long term. The day will come when they have a job they hate, or a boss they can't stand, or a colleague they don't get on with, but they'll still need to pay the bills.

I work in IT as team lead.
    Genuinely, IT is having MAJOR issues with grads and young people starting work in our sector. Not so much me, but my colleagues/contacts that are taking them on in their teams.

These young people are just out of college and it's very apparent from the very beginning of working with them that:
    (A) They've never been told NO.
    (B) They've never been told they did a sh*tty/sloppy job at something.

They've basically been mollycoddled their whole lives and now can't cope with "The Real World"

It's fu*king ridiculous so it is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Chrongen wrote: »

And you are basing this statement on what? All the studies done on it show homeshchooled kids to have significantly better social skills than their peers. Because they live in the real world instead of spending vast amounts of their childhood in the deeply unnatural environment of a school. (While also being an average of 3 years ahead academically.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think society is in big trouble with this snowflake bullsh!t.

Everyone is offended and precious.

On to kids next.

I'm not that many years out of school and say the vast majority were told (and probably never had to be told) to get to school no questions asked.

Bullying may be an awful experience but it is also gives lessons for later life.

How are these people going to survive a world with people in it, who, whether they like it or not are going to take a proverbial sh!t on them at various stages as they go through life? They'll crumble.

• Advertisement

Lot to be said for the shoe up the arse and told to get out the door.

Yes the tough love approach works wonders, we don't have any suicides at all in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Any 'home-schooled' kids I've met have all been... odd... to put it mildly.

The majority were very sheepish and timid. Ocassionally they would be the archetypical spoiled child type with severe social retardation and very poor ability to read social situations.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yeah, normally whats said is "Boy, 15, found hanging from tree"...

How many kids commit suicide to avoid going to school?

Yes the tough love approach works wonders, we don't have any suicides at all in Ireland.

Again, a reference to suicide as a means to avoid school.

How many, roughly, per annum?

Why did you think forcing a child 'with a shoe up the hole' to go to school when it's causing them severe anxiety will improve their mental health?

People like you shouldn't have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why did you think forcing a child 'with a shoe up the hole' to go to school when it's causing them severe anxiety will improve their mental health?

What did kids do before the year 2000?

Was there a whole cadre of mentally scarred kids coming out of schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

How many kids commit suicide to avoid going to school?

I'd imagine a large proportion of Suicide in Teenage boys is due to stuff that goes on at school. (but not exactly the learning part of it, more so negative social interaction when it occurs)

I don't know the numbers though.

In relation to the home schooling thing.

I like the idea of Home schooling but unfortunately I'm not in a position financially to teach my kids OR to pay some one to do grinds for him.

I wouldn't have a notion where to start with home schooling

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Jesus. When I hear people going on about kids, anxiety, therapists, the stress of school, you just wonder how they will get through life. Think social media and the whole "it's okay to not be okay" has really popularised anxiety. Lot to be said for the shoe up the arse and told to get out the door.

You've dismissed those suffering with anxiety as 'needing a kick up the arse'. What an astoundingly ignorant and unhelpful statement/point of view.

Do you genuinely believe social media has actually popularized anxiety?! Or maybe, just maybe it's helped uncover how big a problem it is, by encouraging people to talk about it.

You are getting more and more off the wall. First came the immediate reach for suicide, then you ignored my straightforward question, now you are getting ad hominem.

I didn't say anything about going to school improving mental health. I see them as different issues completely. I asked you how many commit suicide just to get out of school, you raised the issue, expand on it.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe social media has actually popularized anxiety?! Or maybe, just maybe it's helped uncover how big a problem it is, by encouraging people to talk about it.

It has fuelled it in the same way it has fuelled hysteria about gluten.

Advertisement