Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids refusing to go to school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So what? Don't address anxiety in kiss?

Of course the anxiety has to be addresses, but it should be made clear that while they will be given all the support they need they still have to go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So what? Don't address anxiety in kiss?

Isolating them from their peers is the single worst thing that can be done in my opinion.

How is making them a loner, an outcast at that age with few friends going to help them?

Social skills, the ability to deal with distress, the ability to handle bullying - all these things develop in part through childhood.

Being over protective and dumping them in to the real world at 18 is not going to be good for them in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yeah, normally whats said is "Boy, 15, found hanging from tree".

No-body goes through life being OK all the time. Feeling up and down is what life is all about. People deal with it different ways and talking about it is the first step towards fixing it.

Kids committing suicide today really is incomprehensible to me.

25 years ago it was never mentioned among my school peers and i only heard of one in my local town. We all got bullied but learning to deal with it as part of life. I was kicked around in Boarding School, cried plenty each night but the mentality of our time was keep going, things will get better. And they did. Also serious psychological bullying and being thrown into urinals going for a pee. Clothes burnt with lighters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People need 'tools' to handle anxiety.

Removing them from the source does not give some the tools to deal with anxiety and it never will.

A more rounded individual will be able to understand and identify anxiety when it is coming or when it is present. That in itself allows the individual to say 'oh look here comes symptoms of anxiety' and then they can get additional tools to deal with handling it.

again removing them from the source is not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Isolating them from their peers is the single worst thing that can be done in my opinion.

How is making them a loner, an outcast at that age with few friends going to help them?

Social skills, the ability to deal with distress, the ability to handle bullying - all these things develop in part through childhood.

Being over protective and dumping them in to the real world at 18 is not going to be good for them in my opinion.

I agree. You can't shelter your children from real life for ever. Obviously you shouldn't look the other way if they're being bullied, or leave them to cope on their own. But simply pulling them out of all formal schooling and letting them hang around at home and telling the school they're sick is just avoiding facing up to the problem, and not addressing it in a way that will allow your child to deal with the world of work when that time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/schoolflakes-the-children-not-going-to-school-because-they-don-t-like-it-1.3340555

Interesting article here. I have sympathy for any child who genuinely dreads going to school, but just letting them stay at home isn't doing them any favours in the long term. The day will come when they have a job they hate, or a boss they can't stand, or a colleague they don't get on with, but they'll still need to pay the bills.

I think its very different. I sometimes absolutely dreaded school , you feel so completely trapped as a child in a school you hate. Job is very different, Ive worked multiple jobs. Theres a lot more avenues to make it more comfortable for you, working different hours if its parttime, you could ask to be moved from certain area of offices, much easier to deal with problems like bullying in an adult environment than a childresn one(IME)

Ironically anxiety is made worse by avoidance. Good luck with the rest of their lives.

I struggled with anxiety throughout large parts of my life. Im fine now, and I don't agree with your idea. Complete avoidance is bad but forcing a child into something that makes them very anxious is extremely counter productive and traumatising and much worse than avoidance in my experience. Slow gentle exposure is by far the best route

I had bad social anxiety is secondary school as I found the environment horrible, it daily made my anxiety worse. But college was a good example of gentle slow exposure, in college you could avoid many kinds of social interaction you weren't comfortable with, and just be part of the ones you like. eventually you mature and get more used to it all. It took a long time for me to become socially normal in college though due to such poor experiences from secondary school. So I think that shows in my case at least that avoidance isn't totally bad, and forcing kids into anxious situations is definitely really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its very different. I sometimes absolutely dreaded school , you feel so completely trapped as a child in a school you hate. Job is very different, Ive worked multiple jobs. Theres a lot more avenues to make it more comfortable for you, working different hours if its parttime, you could ask to be moved from certain area of offices, much easier to deal with problems like bullying in an adult environment than a childresn one(IME)
    This is all true but without wanting to be too harsh, tough shyte. Kids need to learn to cope with stuff they don't want to do. It's called growing up. Bubble wrapping children is counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Reading this thread is making me enter a phantom state whereby I hear the Glenroe theme, I've got a new haircut that makes my ears look like the FA Cup and I'm trying to remember if finished my Irish homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

This is all true but without wanting to be too harsh, tough shyte. Kids need to learn to cope with stuff they don't want to do. It's called growing up. Bubble wrapping children is counter productive.

It's kids not being able to cope which causes anxiety. Some people can't simply learn to cope.

Homeschooling doesn't equate to being a hermit either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bring back fields full of stones, you'll have no problem getting wains to go to school then.
    :D

True that. Which brings up the question of what chores kids are expected to do. In farming families it's expected, to a large degree for kids to help out but I've been very surprised to learn of kids who are friends of my kids who aren't even expected to remove their plates from the table, never mind put them in the dishwasher.

It's not a difficult chore to learn to clean up after yourself, even small things like collecting their dirty clothes for washing or bringing them in from the line seem to be beyond the abilities of some kids.

Our second lad had severe anxiety about starting secondary school and had it for months but he was directed towards help and it really had a brilliant effect on him. He's a different child now he has some of the tools needed to deal with stress.

But there is a huge stigma about mental health in Ireland and seeking help for it as well so I think many of those kids could cope just fine with some support services where needed. It seems a more obvious solution than ignoring the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Genuine question to homeschoolers: How do you teach kids something that's beyond your skills, yet they'll need it later on? Thinking of maths, science and the like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We are in a time where we can be more analytical, be more sensitive and have more facilities to help children cope.
    It's not as easy as letting them learn to cope. They need to be taught how to cope as the world is a much different place to what it was 10 years ago.
    Bubble wrapping is not the correct approach, but working on the issue is.

Jesus. When I hear people going on about kids, anxiety, therapists, the stress of school, you just wonder how they will get through life. Think social media and the whole "it's okay to not be okay" has really popularised anxiety. Lot to be said for the shoe up the arse and told to get out the door.

Unfortunately there are times when introducing the shoe to the arse doesn’t work. My nephew started having difficulties aged ten. Luckily his GP was sympathetic. Told his parents to take him out of school immediately. This they did at Easter. Got him enrolled in another smaller school for September and he’s never looked back.

It’s easy to pour scorn on mental health issues. Until it hits your own, you’ll never know the heartache it can cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's kids not being able to cope which causes anxiety. Some people can't simply learn to cope.

Homeschooling doesn't equate to being a hermit either.

I think some of the kids in the article were just being kept off school 'sick' instead of parents working with the school to help them to discover the source of their anxiety and learn to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

You can only do that if u have a good education behind you, and then get a decent job that affords you these options

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We are in a time where we can be more analytical, be more sensitive and have more facilities to help children cope.
    It's not as easy as letting them learn to cope. They need to be taught how to cope as the world is a much different place to what it was 10 years ago.
    Bubble wrapping is not the correct approach, but working on the issue is.
    I'm not saying don't work on it. Definitely work on it but in the context of "this is a non negotiable part of your development -you will be educated and that may have to involve a classroom".

We can do better though
    Why force children into something hellish when theres ways to make it better, I know society might have gotten soft in some regards but I think this is situation where society should be. People should look back on childhood fondly, you only get it once. I think its sad that I and many others ' endured' secondary school instead of enjoying it, childhood shouldn't just be a trauma you try to force out of your memory as an adult !

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not saying don't work on it. Definitely work on it but in the context of "this is a non negotiable part of your development -you will be educated and that may have to involve a classroom".
    ok, we're on the same page :)
    The means of kids with problems being introduced to the classroom and being able to cope there is what should be promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

nagdefy wrote: »

I was kicked around in Boarding School, cried plenty each night but the mentality of our time was keep going, things will get better. And they did. Also serious psychological bullying and being thrown into urinals going for a pee. Clothes burnt with lighters etc.

Jesus that’s horrible. I’m sorry that you went through that.

I’m not sure if I was sheltered from it or what but I can’t ever recall anything like that happening at my school.

I really sympathize with these kids, I had some pretty crappy years in school near the end because of dyslexia and my mental health, but on the other hand not going to school was never an option and now I’m glad my parents did that. An off day or two is understandable but ignoring the main issue of why they dread school that much isn’t going to help them get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We can do better though
    Why force children into something hellish when theres ways to make it better, I know society might have gotten soft in some regards but I think this is situation where society should be. People should look back on childhood fondly, you only get it once. I think its sad that I and many others ' endured' secondary school instead of enjoying it, childhood shouldn't just be a trauma you try to force out of your memory as an adult !

The problem with that is have you ever actuley met anyone who was happy as a teenager and its not just school. The big issue with secondary school is the dawning realisation of their place in the social and academic pecking order, sport is a good antidote to this and from my experience the scouts is as well as it is a different outlet, my youngest is still friends as an adult with people she first met in the scouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

To be fair... going to school in Tipperary would make me anxious and unhappy too..

You should embrace your inferiority rather than hide from it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

LirW wrote: »
    Genuine question to homeschoolers: How do you teach kids something that's beyond your skills, yet they'll need it later on? Thinking of maths, science and the like.

From a strictly educational point of view, my homeschooling was great until I reached the point where my knowledge equalled what my parents could teach me or what they could learn to keep ahead of me. I was ahead of most children my age by around 14 and considered anything below 85% in an exam as complete failure! I excelled at the subjects they were good at teaching (maths - my mother had originally been a bookkeeper/accountant) and I struggled terribly with the subjects they weren't so good at teaching (think physics & chemistry). I did have a few grinds teachers after I turned 15 but, if I'm honest, it went downhill quite rapidly after my Junior Cert exam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    From a strictly educational point of view, my homeschooling was great until I reached the point where my knowledge equalled what my parents could teach me or what they could learn to keep ahead of me. I was ahead of most children my age by around 14 and considered anything below 85% in an exam as complete failure! I excelled at the subjects they were good at teaching (maths - my mother had originally been a bookkeeper/accountant) and I struggled terribly with the subjects they weren't so good at teaching (think physics & chemistry). I did have a few grinds teachers after I turned 15 but, if I'm honest, it went downhill quite rapidly after my Junior Cert exam

Did your parents have any particular reason for not sending you to school, even after JC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

since when do kids get to choose everything or voice their opinion on things?
    ffs parents treating them like they are best friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,076 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How many of the kids claiming 'anxiety' are just lazy sh1tes and being indulged? I know a few people whose kids have gluten intolerances, asthma, adhd, ptsd, the Spanish flu, leprosy, the works. According to them anyway...

retalivity wrote: »
    How many of the kids claiming 'anxiety' are just lazy sh1tes and being indulged? I know a few people whose kids have gluten intolerances, asthma, adhd, ptsd, the Spanish flu, leprosy, the works. According to them anyway...

I would say extremely few honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    since when do kids get to choose everything or voice their opinion on things?
    ffs parents treating them like they are best friends!

I would like to be my kids best friend if they showed signs of anxiety or stress because of school. I would aslo encourage them to express their feelings and voice their opinions as it isn't the 1950's anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

How many kids are you home schooling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Are there any studies into how home schooled kids do later on in a work environment ?

Advertisement