Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids refusing to go to school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

What did kids do before the year 2000?

Was there a whole cadre of mentally scarred kids coming out of school?

You know adults that commit suicide were kids once yeah? And childhood experiences can be a major factor in adult mental health issues?

Mental health issues didn't magically appear post 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

What did kids do before the year 2000?

Was there a whole cadre of mentally scarred kids coming out of schools?

I think I was one of those kids.
    Mind you I really enjoyed college, I didn't go out partying or anything I just enjoyed what I was doing in my course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Why did you think forcing a child 'with a shoe up the hole' to go to school when it's causing them severe anxiety will improve their mental health?

People like you shouldn't have kids.

Why is there severe anxiety going to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

How many kids commit suicide to avoid going to school?

I believe people commit suicide because they feel lost, confused and alone.

If a child reaches out to its parents, saying they don't feel right and school is making them feel worse, and the parents respond by giving them a root up the hole and a mug of harden the fúck up, are you genuinely trying to tell me that that will actually help the childs mental state?

Please just listen and talk to people about their feelings. We're human and we feel for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You know adults that commit suicide were kids once yeah? And childhood experiences can be a major factor in adult mental health issues?

Mental health issues didn't magically appear post 2000.

So you want to keep kids cotton wooled from bullying?

What happens when the bullying they have rarely experienced is doled out then in early adulthood?

Bullying is a fact of life.

• Advertisement

You are getting more and more off the wall. First came the immediate reach for suicide, then you ignored my straightforward question, now you are getting ad hominem.

I didn't say anything about going to school improving mental health. I see them as different issues completely. I asked you how many commit suicide just to get out of school, you raised the issue, expand on it.

Who says they have to kids to commit suicide to be considered relavent.
    Childhood mental problems not properly dealt with are a major factor in adult mental disorders. As parent I wouldn't dismiss clear anxiety in a child with "a shoe up the hole."

Unless you can't tell the different between misbehaving and mental illness. In which case you really shouldn't be a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What happens when the bullying they have rarely experienced is doled out then in early adulthood?

Maybe we should be doing more to stop bullying??

I have never felt bullied as an adult in any work place....mistreated etc yes....but never felt targeted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was a lazy fcuk when I was a kid. No way did I want to go to school. I wasn't bullied or had anxiety, I was just a lazy sh1t who didn't want to go.

It was the fear of the shoe up the hole from the parents that kept me going to school and I'm glad now that I didn't drop out.

I'm one instance where the shoe up the hole works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It has fuelled it in the same way it has fueled hysteria about gluten.

I dont see any hysteria, anywhere on either topic. A kick up the arse is about as helpful for anxiety as it is for the common cold or any other medical condition.

So bullying hardens up kids?

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Jesus.

Good lad, get outraged. That's not what he said.

He said bullying is a fact of life (which it is). Totally insulating kids from it by keeping them away from school will mean they are totally unequipped to deal with it as adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Is this a consequence of kids in the noughties and beyond sitting in front of computer games or mobile devices and not having to socialize with real people?

The parents of many kids living in seclusion from society thought it was a great idea once they were not being bothered.

I went to a community school in the 90's and it would have been rare for students not turning up to school for long periods of time.

They did seem to imply in the article that because so many kids nowadays spend their free time living in the virtual world of Facebook etc. they can't deal with the reality of school life and the general messiness of real human contact.

Jesus.

I think, to a degree, he's right though, there are pricks and w*nkers everywhere.
    And that will never change.

Learning how to deal with the pricks and w*nkers is an important life skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Jesus.

I don't think that's what he was saying. I assumed he meant that if kids don't learn coping strategies when they're young, it will be harder for them to deal with unpleasant behaviour in the workplace.

Maybe we should be doing more to stop bullying??

I have never felt bullied as an adult in any work place....mistreated etc yes....but never felt targeted

Bullying is indeed a big problem.

I think kids that have not experienced or have been shielded from it by obsessive parenting do no favors though.

People have to learn to cope with assholes in this world unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

They're missing out on a vital moment in human development ... that moment where they call their teacher "Mam".

Who says they have to kids to commit suicide to be considered relavent.
    Childhood mental problems not properly dealt with are a major factor in adult mental disorders. As parent I wouldn't dismiss clear anxiety in a child with "a shoe up the hole."

Unless you can't tell the different between misbehaving and mental illness. In which case you really shouldn't be a parent.

It was you who reached for the suicide reference straight away. You introduced it, I merely asked how big a problem is it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ironically anxiety is made worse by avoidance. Good luck with the rest of their lives.

They did seem to imply in the article that because so many kids nowadays spend their free time living in the virtual world of Facebook etc. they can't deal with the reality of school life and the general messiness of real human contact.

That line... These are desperate times..
    :D

It was you who reached for the suicide reference straight away. You introduced it, I merely asked how big a problem is it really.

Suicide is massive problem in Ireland . Unless you believe childhood has no bearing on your mental health as an adult?

• Advertisement

Good lad, get outraged. That's not what he said.

He said bullying is a fact of life (which it is). Totally insulating kids from it by keeping them away from school will mean they are totally unequipped to deal with it as adults.

He's implying that being bullied hardens up kids to potential bullying in adulthood.

You said the exact same thing then.

You're saying childhood bullying better equips you to deal with it as an adult. Where's the evidence for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Suicide is massive problem in Ireland . Unless you believe childhood has no bearing on your mental health as an adult?

What type of Anxiety is suffered from going to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ironically anxiety is made worse by avoidance. Good luck with the rest of their lives.
    Sure adult life is easy. All unpleasant activities and events can be avoided and it's basically just years and years of easy stress free comfort zoning

Maybe kids should be left to be what they are, kids??

Go to school, go to college, go to work.

Seems like the best plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Chrongen wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Slightly off topic but I couldn't help commenting:-

While I appreciate that one person isn't indicative of a whole - I was home schooled (because my parents had religious "notions"). I wouldn't say that my social skills are stunted in any way but one longer term consequence that I have discovered is that I don't have that really wide circle of friends/acquaintances as I'm getting older. At events/xmas/weddings everybody has this extended circle with common experiences/memories. I have genuinely found this to be an issue for me. If kids are going to be home schooled then they should be members of a club/team of some kind.

On topic - effectively isolating a child because people/school makes them anxious isn't going to help them in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Bring back fields full of stones, you'll have no problem getting wains to go to school then.

I am perfectly aware that suicide is a problem, and it can be caused by so many factors, psychiatric conditions, bullying, marriage breakdown, financial worries. I'm asking how high up that list of factors is attending school.

Could you quote any psychiatrist that says taking children out of school is the cure for mental illness or will address suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I couldn't help commenting:-

While I appreciate that one person isn't indicative of a whole - I was home schooled (because my parents had religious "notions"). I wouldn't say that my social skills are stunted in any way but one longer term consequence that I have discovered is that I don't have that really wide circle of friends/acquaintances as I'm getting older. At events/xmas/weddings everybody has this extended circle with common experiences/memories. I have genuinely found this to be an issue for me. If kids are going to be home schooled then they should be members of a club/team of some kind.

On topic - effectively isolating a child because people/school makes them anxious isn't going to help them in the long run.

You would expect parents that make that decision to tell you no different. But alas i guess they dont really care where you get your friends from as long as they vet them first. Play dates etc.

Maybe kids should be left to be what they are, kids??

Go to school, go to college, go to work.

Seems like the best plan.

So what? Don't address anxiety in kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,243 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So what? Don't address anxiety in kiss?

address the causes of the anxiety. removing them from school doesnt do that.

Advertisement