Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Players outside the Provinces 17/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would anyone have a list of all the Irish players playing abroad? I can't find any from anytime recently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a list of all the Irish players playing abroad? I can't find any from anytime recently
    I have one in the making currently. Can you wait until next week? because I'm doing that well, estabilshing who're out of contract :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

According to Wikipedia, feel free to add any I have missed.

Loosehead
    • Paddy McAllister (Gloucester)
    • Jack O'Connell (Bristol)
    • Sean McCarthy (Bedford Blues)

Hooker
    • George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers) (Still Irish Eligable, although it looks like he has chosen England)
    • Niall Annett (Worcester)
    • Jason Harris-Wright (Bristol)
    • Johnny Murphy (Rotherham)
    • Tadhg McElroy (Saracens)

Tighthead
    • Marty Moore (Wasps)
    • Rory Burke (Nottingham)
    • Adam Boland (Richmond)
    • Dave Ryan (Agen)
    • Jamie Hagan (Beziers)
    • Oli Jager (Crusaders)
    • Ben Betts (Leicester Tigers)
    • Craig Trenier (Richmond)

Second Row
    • Dan Tuohy (Leicester Tigers)
    • Donncha O'Callaghan (Worcester Warriors)
    • Danny Qualter (Nottingham)
    • Jerry Sexton (Jersey Reds)
    • Donnacha Ryan (Racing 92)
    • Dave Foley (Pau)
    • John Madigan (Massy)
    • Tadhg Beirne (Scarlets)

Backrow
    • Dominic Ryan (Leicester Tigers)
    • Conor Gilsenan (London Irish)
    • Paddy Ryan (Northampton Saints)
    • William Ryan (Ealing Trailfinders)
    • Shane Buckley (Nottingham)
    • Jordan Coghlan (Nottingham)
    • Rowan Halsall (Richmond)
    • Conor Joyce (Jersey Reds)
    • Danny Kenny (London Scottish)
    • Sean Dougall (Pau)
    • Paddy Butler (Pau)

Scrum Half
    • Peter Stringer (Worcester Warriors)
    • Michael Heaney (Doncaster Knights)

Outhalf
    • Ian Madigan (Bristol)
    • Gareth Steenson (Exeter)
    • Peter Lydon (Ealing Trailfinders)
    • Gearoid Lyons (Nottingham)
    • Declan Cusack (Doncaster Knights)
    • Sean O'Hagan (Richmond)

Centre
    • Brendan Macken (Wasps)
    • Ian Whitten (Exeter)
    • Fergus Mulchrone (London Irish)
    • Mark Best (Jersey Reds)
    • Eamonn Sheridan (Carsassonne)
    • Steven McMahon (Carcassonne)

Back Three
    • Sean Scanlon (Nottingham)
    • Alex O'Meara (Cornish Pirates)
    • Ross Adair (Jersey Reds)
    • Conor Gaston (Aurillac)
    • Ciaran Gaffney (Zebre)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Harrison Brewer is playing AIL with Terenure

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah yes, The Republic of Gickistan, can't forget all those overseas lads down there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I was going to ask where Danny Barnes was, I'd forgotten he'd retired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I was going to ask where Danny Barnes was, I'd forgotten he'd retired :(
    Still Playing but not as a pro. Plays in 4th tier of english league system. In same division as London Irish Amatuers RFCs 1st team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Still Playing but not as a pro. Plays in 4th tier of english league system. In same division as London Irish Amatuers RFCs 1st team

Yeah...retired... don't think he's even turning out at the weekends anymore, must ask someone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tadgh McElroy at Sarries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I heard a rumour that Ben Betts was going to Leicester but I don't see him in that list, must have been misinformed

• Advertisement

Not too many players there you'd be desperate to get back to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RuPi

Craig Trenier - Richmond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not too many players there you'd be desperate to get back to Ireland

The pick of the litter is in the pack. There would a tight five there that couldnmake it as at least squad cover in an Irish province.

RuPi wrote: »
    Craig Trenier - Richmond.
    Wow, I'll add it to my list as I guess it's a classic one-year deal...
    IQ TH props are not in surplus, nice to have him in mind if one of our current solutions moves. (Carey rumoured to Bris for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would have thought there were a few there that would interest Ulster/Connacht.

Aside from Marty Moore, Madigan/Steenson would give them much needed outhalf cover with the current PJ situation and even beyond would be good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

slingerz wrote: »
    I would have thought there were a few there that would interest Ulster/Connacht.

Aside from Marty Moore, Madigan/Steenson would give them much needed outhalf cover with the current PJ situation and even beyond would be good for them.

Steenson is never going to leave Exeter now.

Madigan is probably on mega bucks at Bristol and I'm sure having spent a year in the Championship will want a crack at the Premiership.

He's not an out half but Ian Whitten would be a handy signing for Ulster or Connacht. Again though he isn't likely to trouble the Ireland selectors so why would he leave the Premiership champions?

bilston wrote: »

Madigan is probably on mega bucks at Bristol and I'm sure having spent a year in the Championship will want a crack at the Premiership.

He's not an out half but Ian Whitten would be a handy signing for Ulster or Connacht. Again though he isn't likely to trouble the Ireland selectors so why would he leave the Premiership champions?
    I disagree about Steenson.
    Without Jackson, he would be definitely in contention to be 3rd choice 10  for RWC.
    A 2 year-deal with Ulster/Connacht to finish his career is not to exclude.
    He's out of contract with Exeter, and  he may want a new challenge after so many years there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd expect Gareth Steenson to retire the summer before the RWC. He'll be 35. There's enough talent at outhalf in this country without having to bring back a guy who is close to retirement in a position where it's essential to develop talent.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd expect Gareth Steenson to retire the summer before the RWC. He'll be 35. There's enough talent at outhalf in this country without having to bring back a guy who is close to retirement in a position where it's essential to develop talent.
    As 3rd choice, to play 20 minutes in 1  or 2 games, that's ok even beyond 33 (like ROG, Dan Parks, Rob Kearney :p...)

connachta wrote: »
    As 3rd choice, to play 20 minutes in 1  or 2 games, that's ok even beyond 33 (like ROG, Dan Parks, Rob Kearney :p...)

3rd choice may be a utility back of some description IE Scannell in Munster or otherwise.

If Connacht or Ulster (Simply because Leinster have Carberry and Byrne and have Munster have 3 different options) lure him back to Ireland I would not be surprised if he featured in the warm ups (given what we know) but I doubt he would make the plane.

Who is the Connacht kicking coach? Perhaps he could combine kicking coach and back up outhalf for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

bilston wrote: »

Madigan may not get mega bucks again and might fancy getting back to contest in the Ireland fold.

Cant see why Steenson is so tied to Exeter when other players seem to be able to freely move

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cant see why Steenson is so tied to Exeter when other players seem to be able to freely move

He went there when they were a Championship side. They made his career. He went from a bloke who had never played a game for Ulster to starting in the HEC and winning the AP. He's married and has kids there who have never lived anywhere else.

I would guess he's going to hang on there after retirement.

Madigan may not get mega bucks again and might fancy getting back to contest in the Ireland fold.

Madigan's contract includes next year so I would assume Bristol would have tongue him megabucks to get rid of him. After 2019 he may look at coming back but who knows.

He looked at Irish options last year before signing for Bristol. He was rejected fairly handily by all provinces. Leinster had Sexton and Madigan wanted a chance at competing to start. Munster had Keatley Blydenhal and JJ under contract. Ulster had Jackson. Connacht had Boschoff and Carthy and were full at 10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Megabucks would be an incentive but the tonguing should deal the deal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Couple of irish players in the American squad for the Americas Rugby Championship which starts in a few weeks
    Paddy Ryan, ex Highfield, Dolphin and Dylan Fawsitt, ex Greystones and Blackrock College. While Greg McWilliams is an assistant coach

https://www.usarugby.org/2018/01/mens-eagles-announce-roster-for-2018-americas-rugby-championship/

Rory parata starting at 14 and ciaran gaffney at 23 for zebre

Rory parata starting at 14 and ciaran gaffney at 23 for zebre

Not happy. I thought he left Connacht because he wanted to play 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Apparently played a lot at 10 in New Zealand

Apparently played a lot at 10 in New Zealand
    Yeah and now... :(
    Our oldest winger (Healy) has 3  seasons in the tank at least, so I'd rather have a good back-up 10 ready to go back in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah and now... :(
    Our oldest winger (Healy) has 3 seasons in the tank at least, so I'd rather have a good back-up 10 ready to go back in Galway
    And now with his first cap for Zebre on the wing, you feel it's appropriate to lambast him for not playing 10?

Maybe at the end of the season, you'd have a point. But have you even assessed Zebre's current needs?

Advertisement