Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th amendment(Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Nope, I’m just very passionate about my bodily autonomy and human rights, as hard as it is to believe! If it were your human rights up for discussion I’m sure you’d feel strongly about it too.

My Human rights, your Human rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My Human rights, your Human rights?

Fine. Women’s rights. I am a woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Da Boss

Nope, I’m just very passionate about my bodily autonomy and human rights, as hard as it is to believe! If it were your human rights up for discussion I’m sure you’d feel strongly about it too.

Well since when have you the “right” to end the life of another. You propose abortion, but what is abortion?! I’ll tell you! Abortion is the pre planned murdering of the most vulnerable in society, the unborn! Abortion is killing and that’s no right! Nobody have the right to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Da Boss wrote:
    Well since when have you the “right†to end the life of another. You propose abortion, but what is abortion?! I’ll tell you! Abortion is the pre planned murdering of the most vulnerable in society, the unborn! Abortion is killing and that’s no right! Nobody have the right to kill.

Bold move poster, stating the absurd. Lets see how it plays out.

Da Boss wrote: »
    Well since when have you the “right” to end the life of another. You propose abortion, but what is abortion?! I’ll tell you! Abortion is the pre planned murdering of the most vulnerable in society, the unborn! Abortion is killing and that’s no right! Nobody have the right to kill.

I can only assume you are queuing up to adopt all the unwanted babies from the many unwilling/unfit mothers in this country? Seeing as you are so passionate about stopping the ‘murder’ of all these fetuses??

Also strange that abortion is legal in so many western, progressive, civilized countries. Someone should have told them they’re all calculating murdering killers!

Oh wait. Except they aren’t.
    You clearly have no idea what the 8th is really about. It’s more than abortion, it’s about maternity care and consent. You don’t have a notion about what your talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,348 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can only assume you are queuing up to adopt all the unwanted babies from the many unwilling/unfit mothers in this country? Seeing as you are so passionate about stopping the ‘murder’ of all these fetuses??

Also strange that abortion is legal in so many western, progressive, civilized countries. Someone should have told them they’re all calculating murdering killers!

You clearly have no idea what the 8th is really about. It’s more than abortion, it’s about maternity care and consent. You don’t have a notion about what your talking about.

going by the threads they post on they are a bachelor farmer from the west of ireland who attends mass every sunday so that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

So if you were aware of someone who was intending to have an abortion in the UK this weekend would you have the balls to call them out in public to stop them travelling to murder the unborn as you put it? Would you call the police and have them arrested for attempted murder?

Again I am going to call another of the pro birth side out and say you would not have the balls to do it! You will happily sit behind a keyboard calling it murder but when it comes down to it you would not have the balls to stop it!!

Tell me I am wrong and if I am then prove it!

And EOTR if you are reading this, please don't bother trying to reply to this with your nonsense, its not required, lets the adults talk for a while, I am sure you have some trains to play with over in the transport thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

your human rights and bodily autonomy are being upheld. there is no human right to kill the unborn unless it's in extreme circumstances. so your human rights aren't been effected as abortion in extreme circumstances is availible.

this isn't a valid question as there is a system in place to help children in need. it's effectively whataboutery.

they are wrong, and they are allowing killing.

he actually does, however the reality is abortion on demand will be the main issue that will decide whether the referendum gets passed or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

frag420 wrote: »
    So if you were aware of someone who was intending to have an abortion in the UK this weekend would you have the balls to call them out in public to stop them travelling to murder the unborn as you put it? Would you call the police and have them arrested for attempted murder?

Again I am going to call another of the pro birth side out and say you would not have the balls to do it! You will happily sit behind a keyboard calling it murder but when it comes down to it you would not have the balls to stop it!!

Tell me I am wrong and if I am then prove it!

again this isn't a valid question, as it's designed to twist his answer toards the pro-abortion narrative.

You are trying to excuse the inexcusable- Murder!! Yes I accept there is an issue regarding the care of babies however killing the poor indefensible baby’s, or murdering them, is not the solution! Ohh as regards claiming I’m talking through my hole about abortion, I’m not. Ur trying to characterize me as a gombeen however I can inform u I’m a 24 year old college graduate who feels passionate about saving life’s and getting justice for the unborn!! U seem to take ur life for granted, not to be getting personal but imagine u were a victim of abortion, never to life on this earth, denied ur most basic human right

• Advertisement

your human rights and bodily autonomy are being upheld. there is no human right to kill the unborn unless it's in extreme circumstances. so your human rights aren't been effected as abortion in extreme circumstances is availible.

No they are not being fully upheld, and you already admitted as much earlier in the thread when you posted that rights were being upheld for ‘the most part’.
    I replied saying that ‘for the most part’ wasn’t good enough and they should be upheld in full, which you never replied to.
    If you want to dispute this I have no problem posting a link to the post.

As for the rest of your post, it’s more of you disguising your opinion as fact. This has already been pointed out to you and you don’t care so I’ll just ignore it so as not to derail the thread.

again this isn't a valid question, as it's designed to twist his answer toards the pro-abortion narrative.

How is it twisting twisting the answer towards the pro choice side, you either believe abortion is the murder of the unborn and should be stopped or you don't?

So to be clear, you and your ilk would not report someone who was intending to murder the unborn? Glad we cleared that up, we now know that yourself and Da Boss are happy to see the unborn murdered!

By the way if you are pro life and you don't report it then you are a sad pathetic excuse for a human and that EOTR is a FACT!!!

You are trying to excuse the inexcusable- Murder!! Yes I accept there is an issue regarding the care of babies however killing the poor indefensible baby’s, or murdering them, is not the solution! Ohh as regards claiming I’m talking through my hole about abortion, I’m not. Ur trying to characterize me as a gombeen however I can inform u I’m a 24 year old college graduate who feels passionate about saving life’s and getting justice for the unborn!! U seem to take ur life for granted, not to be getting personal but imagine u were a victim of abortion, never to life on this earth, denied ur most basic human right

Well what is your solution? Seriously? Bar forcing someone who does not want to be pregnant to be pregnant, what is the solution?
    This would be a different kettle of fish if the fetus could survive without the mothers body as host. But while it cannot, while it depends on her to survive and thrive, it should be ultimately be up to her what happens it.

If I was a victim of abortion I wouldn’t know what I’d feel because I’d never have existed.
    However, as a living, breathing woman, I trust my fellow women to make the best decision for themselves, and if they feel abortion is the only option then I support that fully.

I’ll also mention that I would never, ever get an abortion myself. It’s not for me.
    But that could change in the future, and it isn’t for me to dictate how someone else lives their life any way. I want other women to have a choice. So I am pro choice.

Also, you’re saying I’m painting you like a gombeen but you and a few others aren’t half painting me as some sort of cold hearted feminazi.
    This referendum is very very close to my heart for reasons unsuitable for this thread.
    I know you feel like you are doing right by ‘saving the babies’ but I feel I’m doing right by campaigning for women to have a choice.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well what is your solution? Seriously? Bar forcing someone who does not want to be pregnant to be pregnant, what is the solution?
    This would be a different kettle of fish if the fetus could survive without the mothers body as host. But while it cannot, while it depends on her to survive and thrive, it should be ultimately be up to her what happens it.

If I was a victim of abortion I wouldn’t know what I’d feel because I’d never have existed.
    However, as a living, breathing woman, I trust my fellow women to make the best decision for themselves, and if they feel abortion is the only option then I support that fully.

I’ll also mention that I would never, ever get an abortion myself. It’s not for me.
    But that could change in the future, and it isn’t for me to dictate how someone else lives their life any way. I want other women to have a choice. So I am pro choice.

Also, you’re saying I’m painting you like a gombeen but you and a few others aren’t half painting me as some sort of cold hearted feminazi.
    This referendum is very very close to my heart for reasons unsuitable for this thread.
    I know you feel like you are doing right by ‘saving the babies’ but I feel I’m doing right by campaigning for women to have a choice.
    I respect ur opinions- but I cannot find them acceptable in any make shapes or fashion. As regards carrying an unwanted child, in cases of rape, unfortunately the woman has falling victim to the most horrible of crimes, and should be compensated generously in court. How it’s not the doing of the unborn child in question so an abortion would be unjust and WRONG! Regards unplanned pregnancy’s, wear a condom, it’s that simple!!. Abortion would be acceptable if it just affected the woman however that’s not the case as it involves killing another so therefore cannot be tolerated in any make shape or form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I respect ur opinions- but I cannot find them acceptable in any make shapes or fashion. As regards carrying an unwanted child, in cases of rape, unfortunately the woman has falling victim to the most horrible of crimes, and should be compensated generously in court. How it’s not the doing of the unborn child in question so an abortion would be unjust and WRONG! Regards unplanned pregnancy’s, wear a condom, it’s that simple!!. Abortion would be acceptable if it just affected the woman however that’s not the case as it involves killing another so therefore cannot be tolerated in any make shape or form!

Let's go through this one more time. Say it with me now.

Contraception is not 100% effective.

Just another militant anti choicer spouting the same thing over and over. College graduate my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,232 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

grahambo wrote: »
    If you have sex, you could get pregnant, there is no Abortion in Ireland because the parish pumps don't want it. Therefore you can either go abroad to have the abortion or have the baby.
    This will never change,

It will change if people vote for it to change...

No they are not being fully upheld, and you already admitted as much earlier in the thread when you posted that rights were being upheld for ‘the most part’.
    I replied saying that ‘for the most part’ wasn’t good enough and they should be upheld in full, which you never replied to.
    If you want to dispute this I have no problem posting a link to the post.

As for the rest of your post, it’s more of you disguising your opinion as fact. This has already been pointed out to you and you don’t care so I’ll just ignore it so as not to derail the thread.

there is no human right to an abortion on demand. i understand that you don't like that and wish it to be otherwise but such a human right doesn't exist. if your life is under threat or the baby can't be caried to term, abortion is availible for you in ireland.

it should not be up to her what happens it and it can't be, as it's a separate entity which has rights of it's own. the fact it relies on it's mother as a host doesn't justify it's murder.
    if someone really wants an abortion, they can avail of it, it isn't needed in ireland bar extreme circumstances, which it currently does exist for in ireland and i believe that is just even if i disagree with the act of abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

there is no human right to an abortion on demand. i understand that you don't like that and wish it to be otherwise but such a human right doesn't exist. if your life is under threat or the baby can't be caried to term, abortion is availible for you in ireland.

There is a right to bodily autonomy; to decide what happens to your own body, and that is being denied.
    it should not be up to her what happens it and it can't be, as it's a separate entity which has rights of it's own. the fact it relies on it's mother as a host doesn't justify it's murder.
    It's not a separate entity. If it can't survive independently then it's not separate. If it could survive separately then it could be separated from the woman's body and there would be no issue.

kylith wrote: »
    There is a right to bodily autonomy; to decide what happens to your own body, and that is being denied.

i agree. however being able to access abortion on demand doesn't fit this. if this was about bodily autonomy then repeal would get a landslide vote. however unfortunately the risk of abortion on demand being legislated for is high and that will put a lot of people off voting to repeal.

kylith wrote: »
    It's not a separate entity. If it can't survive independently then it's not separate. If it could survive separately then it could be separated from the woman's body and there would be no issue.

it is ultimately a separate entity as in it's a separate life, however it relies on the mother as a host for part of it's growth. but it is separate and has rights and protections of it's own and that needs to continue for the good of society. if we allow abortion on demand then we begin to value life less over all as time goes on and we cannot allow that to happen IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't they teach spelling and grammar at third level these days? (Whatever about logic, but one step at a time!)

It's contraception you should be going after really. Back in the 'good old days' of 1950s Ireland they used to call it "the murder of millions" and that's what's hitting the birth rate, not abortion. Soon we could be back to families of 10+ as a common occurrence

Then once that's dealt with you can tackle the evils of masturbation. Every sperm is sacred, and the womenfolk of Ireland need our every drop!

Good luck. You'll certainly need it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Da Boss wrote:

So would you want to throw women into jail for 30 years to life for having an abortion abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

grahambo wrote: »
    This will never change, the Church are already gearing up for legal action against the removal of the baptisim barrier in schools.

So what. Anyone can threaten to sue anyone else, it doesn't mean they have a case or will win, and the RCC often makes loud empty threats. (Remember in 2013 when they said they would excommunicate TDs who voted for the X case legislation?)

Of course the 8th will go, it's just a question of time.

If we didn't have it already, do you think it would be voted in today? There's no reason to believe we would. In 1983 - that's THIRTY FIVE years ago in a very different Ireland - it was voted in by 2:1 after a very nasty, brutal and abusive campaign by groups like SPUC and of course the Roman Catholic Church which still had huge influence and could do no wrong in the eyes of many people. I wasn't old enough to vote, but I well remember it.

BUT even 35 years ago and despite the still massive influence of the church and their well-funded campaign allies, it only passed 51:49 in Dublin.

Today things are very different, the repeal movement has been gathering strength for years now and the very idea we would have a citizens' assembly and a Dail committee recommending repeal would have been hard to imagine even five years ago, but here we are.

Women publicly talking about having had abortions also used to be unthinkable. But then it used to be unthinkable for people to talk about homosexuality, once that changed then all the old taboos surrounding it started to fall away, and people became willing to vote for something not for their own benefit, but to right an injustice experienced by others.

The 8th will go. If not this time (but polls suggest it will go) then certainly within the next five years.

How many who voted Yes in 1983 are no longer alive? More than an entire generation have passed on since and those under 53 who never got a vote on this issue are much more pro-choice.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So what. Anyone can threaten to sue anyone else, it doesn't mean they have a case or will win, and the RCC often makes loud empty threats. (Remember in 2013 when they said they would excommunicate TDs who voted for the X case legislation?)

Of course the 8th will go, it's just a question of time.

If we didn't have it already, do you think it would be voted in today? There's no reason to believe we would. In 1983 - that's THIRTY FIVE years ago in a very different Ireland - it was voted in by 2:1 after a very nasty, brutal and abusive campaign by groups like SPUC and of course the Roman Catholic Church which still had huge influence and could do no wrong in the eyes of many people. I wasn't old enough to vote, but I well remember it.

BUT even 35 years ago and despite the still massive influence of the church and their well-funded campaign allies, it only passed 51:49 in Dublin.

Today things are very different, the repeal movement has been gathering strength for years now and the very idea we would have a citizens' assembly and a Dail committee recommending repeal would have been hard to imagine even five years ago, but here we are.

Women publicly talking about having had abortions also used to be unthinkable. But then it used to be unthinkable for people to talk about homosexuality, once that changed then all the old taboos surrounding it started to fall away, and people became willing to vote for something not for their own benefit, but to right an injustice experienced by others.

The 8th will go. If not this time (but polls suggest it will go) then certainly within the next five years.

How many who voted Yes in 1983 are no longer alive? More than an entire generation have passed on since and those under 53 who never got a vote on this issue are much more pro-choice.

the 8th may go, but it will likely be on a small majority. also there will be enough to sustain a campaign to make it very difficult to legislate for abortion on demand i'd reccan, which would be a good thing. as long as there is no abortion on demand then the 8th going would have a lot of support from parts of the pro-life movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

conorhal wrote: »
    Well, yes, if it's inaccurate. Anti choice is not an accurate description of any position, it's an attempt to present a reductive general view of somebody, pro choice is not an accurate description of a position either, it's a euphemistic attempt to present a benign view of a very specific act.

Surely theres a more simpler way of looking at it. The main question being debated is does a woman have the choice or keeping or aborting the child from a pregnancy.

Pro Life means the preference for the child to be born - ie, have the baby, you cant abort it

Pro Choice simply means the woman has the right to make her own choice, whatever it ends up to be. Pro Choice would support the woman's right to have an abortion, but it doesn't necessarily mean a pro choice person would automatically agree with the woman's choice, should she choose abortion.

Its the right to choose that the Pro Choice person believes in - not necessarily the end decision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

i agree. however being able to access abortion on demand doesn't fit this. if this was about bodily autonomy then repeal would get a landslide vote. however unfortunately the risk of abortion on demand being legislated for is high and that will put a lot of people off voting to repeal.

I'm glad to see you agree that a woman's right to bodily autonomy should be paramount. How does a pregnant woman who doesn't want to be pregnant exercise her right to bodily autonomy if not through abortion?

the 8th may go, but it will likely be on a small majority. also there will be enough to sustain a campaign to make it very difficult to legislate for abortion on demand i'd reccan, which would be a good thing. as long as there is no abortion on demand then the 8th going would have a lot of support from parts of the pro-life movement.

Now I know you're trolling us... :D:D:D

Don't they teach spelling and grammar at third level these days? (Whatever about logic, but one step at a time!)

It's contraception you should be going after really. Back in the 'good old days' of 1950s Ireland they used to call it "the murder of millions" and that's what's hitting the birth rate, not abortion. Soon we could be back to families of 10+ as a common occurrence

Then once that's dealt with you can tackle the evils of masturbation. Every sperm is sacred, and the womenfolk of Ireland need our every drop!

Good luck. You'll certainly need it.

I don’t know what picture your trying to paint of me, that of something from the 1950s or something. However let me tell you this, there is nothing backwards or old fashioned about standing up against murder! There are countless people across Ireland who would never vote or condone such a thing as this, the indiscriminate murder of the unborn. Yee in the pro choice side are trying ur utmost best to guilt those with a pro life stance, painting those against this murder as “ backwards old fashioned church goers” . Dirty tactics indeed, the pro pro choice movement stinks to the core!

I don’t know what picture your trying to paint of me, that of something from the 1950s or something. However let me tell you this, there is nothing backwards or old fashioned about standing up against murder! There are countless people across Ireland who would never vote or condone such a thing as this, the indiscriminate murder of the unborn. Yee in the pro choice side are trying ur utmost best to guilt those with a pro life stance, painting those against this murder as “ backwards old fashioned church goers” . Dirty tactics indeed, the pro pro choice movement stinks to the core!

Wait until you find out that at least 11 of these "murders" happen every day and no one with a pro life stance seems in any way interested in stopping it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had an abortion. Do you believe I should stand trial for murder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement